Small Steps

28 days with Ms. Perfect

“Are you sure about this?” Yuri said as she tried to skim through the words on the paper in her hand.

“Positive.” The man said. “I still need to verify the exact location and the parties involved but that shouldn’t take more time.”

Yuri just nodded. She’s been here how many months waiting for results and now that it’s almost here, she doesn’t know what to feel. It feels like her days are numbered.

They were sitting at a café near the hospital as she was going to work in a few minutes.

“Can I keep this?” Yuri asked the man.

“Of course.”

*

Taeyeon yawned for the nth time this morning. She hates morning shift with a passion. It’s torture to people like her who loves her sleep. She nearly fell asleep standing up when she heard her name being called to the counter. Taeyeon picked up the paper bag with her order and was about to exit the café when she noticed two people on the corner. The girl’s face is somewhat familiar, but she couldn’t remember a name. The guy she was with was dressed in a dark brown leather jacket and a cap was hiding his face.

She was sat inside her car that was facing the glass walls of the café where she caught glimpse of the couple again. Then she realized who the girl was. That was the girl who was with Taec. The poor girl that jerk has ruined. She shook her head thinking about that douche.

If she’s seeing someone else, then she wishes her the best.

She gave a small smile and drove away.

*

“I need to go.” Yuri said as her phone buzzed for its alarm, signalling for her that it’s time to go to work.

“I will keep in touch.” The man said.

“You don’t need to meet me up like this. I’m sure you have a lot of things to do. You can just send them via email or call me.” Yuri afforded a smile.

“Yes. Understood.” Just as Yuri stood up and picked up her things, the man blurted out. “Are you not going to ask why it took me this long to give you results?”

Yuri turned her attention back to the man, waiting for him to continue with his words. She sighed and said “Why?”

“Someone powerful is trying to keep this a secret. So, I had to improvise with everything.”

“Please do whatever you can.” Yuri said, hoping he won’t give up like the others.

“Oh, don’t worry, I love a challenge when I see one.”

With that, Yuri left for the hospital.

*

“Yah Yoong, over here.” Tae gestured the girl to come over. The girl saw her, narrowed her eyes and somewhat pretended not to see her.

Aish this kid.

She was stood by the door to Yoona’s staff room. She didn’t want to barge in as she doesn’t work there. But her evil dongsaeng is just making things harder for her.

“Yoong!” She hissed as people started arriving for their shift.

The kid just smirked a bit and didn’t move an inch. She was waiting for Taeyeon to come in.

Taeyeon raised the paper bag in her hand and that caught the kid’s attention because she was now walking fast towards Tae.

“Oh unnie, I didn’t see you there for a second.” Tae rolled her eyes as Yoona tried to smooth talk her after blatantly ignoring her.

“You didn’t see me, but you saw the bag of food that fast huh?” Tae said unimpressed.

“Is this for me?” Yoona said excitedly as she tried to peek on the bag.

“I know you never eat anything for breakfast, but I think you need to, now that you’re working here.” Tae said as she handed the bag to Yoona. It has become a second nature to her to take care of Yoona. The girl was too immature to take care of herself.

“Thanks, unnie!” Yoona smiled so wide she nearly split her face in two. Tae bid Yoona goodbye as she needs to go to her workplace soon. As she turned around, she saw the girl from the café walking in after giving her a smile. Oh, she works here as well.

Tae made a few steps when she realized she forgot to tell Yoona that she was working a double shift and had to cancel their hangout for later. That was the main reason why she brought her food to appease the girl and she totally forgot.

She was stood there by the door again, peering inside looking for the lanky girl with the bag of food. She was about to give up when she saw Yoona handing over some of the bread to the girl from the café.

Yoona sharing food?

She had to stare to make sure and when her eyes met with those deer eyes, she confirmed it. It was really Yoona.

I guess I must tell my senior I can’t do that extra shift later because this is an emergency that we need to discuss later Yoong.

She smirked at Yoona who was frozen in place when she saw her and waved goodbye.

She hastily picked up her phone and messaged Tiffany. She can’t wait for later.

*

“Thank you Yoona.” Yuri said as she was surprised with a bread handed out to her by none other than Ms. Perfect. She looked at the bag the other girl has in her hand and she recognized the logo.

“You were there this morning Yoona?” She hasn’t seen the girl when she was in the café, so she wondered if she just didn’t notice which was impossible considering her eyes are naturally drawn to Yoona.

She was wondering why Yoona was not replying to her, probably not interested on her anymore but when she looked up, she saw the girl locked eyes with Yoona by the doorway. When the girl left Yoona suddenly came back to life.

“Ugh, my unnie gave this to me this morning. This is to thank you for the bread you gave me last time.” Yoona said, almost mumbling on the last part but she heard it, nonetheless.

Yuri smiled and they ate side by side in silence. It wasn’t awkward, it was almost a comforting kind of silence. Coupled with the fact that they were both looking down trying to hide the redness creeping on their cheeks.

*

Everything was going great on their shift as not a lot of people came in through the doors. So Yoona decided to check on the emergency trolley instead of sitting around doing nothing.

Yuri came back after transferring the patient to the assessment unit next door. She looked around as the empty trolleys made her smile. Half an hour to go and they’re free. She was off tomorrow so she can’t wait. She was about to walk over to the people on the nurse’s station talking but she saw a glimpse of Yoona with the emergency trolley on the side.

She decided to join Yoona whose eyes were fixed on the medication tray, probably checking their expiration date.

“Can I help you with that?” Yuri said softly not wanting to startle the girl.

“I’m nearly done but yeah. Can you read for me the expiration dates so I can check them here on the list?”

Yuri smiled as Yoona seems to be okay with her presence now. She doesn’t understand why she feels so happy just being there beside her. She looked up to her face and she instantly regretted it and bit her lip when she once again got caught by those beautiful chocolate orbs.

She cleared and started checking the expiry dates and tried to focus her eyes on the medications before she gets caught staring again.

But wait, if Yoona caught her, does that mean she was staring too?

Yuri almost burst with the heat she feels on her face.

*

 Why is she here. She should be with the others. But she’s helping me out isn’t she. That’s a big help or it would’ve taken forever for me to finish.

Yoona was debating inside her head why she allowed Yuri to stay with her. She hates it that when the other girl is near her heart starts to beat faster and she feels so warm inside. Does she have any heart problems? With her age it is very unlikely, but she couldn’t think of any other reason for her symptoms. She continued diagnosing herself when she caught Yuri looking at her before she looked down again.

One look at those beautiful eyes and all the million thoughts swirling inside her head vanished. All she felt after was peace.

That’s when she couldn’t help the small smile on her lips.

*

“Do you have anything to do Yoona?” Senior Sally asked the girl while they were all getting ready to go home.

It was the end of their shift and after their moment checking the emergency trolley Yuri tried to avoid the girl. The smile Yoona had was forever etched inside Yuri’s brain and whenever she thinks about it, she can’t help herself but blush.

She was afraid that’s all she will ever do when they’re together and Yoona will probably notice it soon.

“I’m meeting up with someone.” Yoona said as she took her earphones out of her bag, ready to shut herself out from the world again.

“Oh okay, enjoy your date!” Senior Sally said and swung her bag on her shoulder waving everyone goodbye.

“It’s not a date.” Yoona mumbled but she thought, it’s not like anyone cares.

But someone does care because Yuri felt her heart deflate when she heard the four-letter word.

*

“Here’s our favourite dongsaeng.” Tiffany announced as Yoona sat at the empty chair next to Tae.

Yoona rolled her eyes. She knew they were waiting to pounce on her the moment she arrives.

“Care to greet your unnies?” Tae said as she withdrew her fries away from Yoona’s grasp.

“Hi unnies.” Yoona said grudgingly, making the two share a laugh and Tae gave Yoona her fries.

“Now that greetings are done, should we go straight to business?” Tiffany said with her eye smiles.

“Who’s the girl?” Tae dropped the bomb.

*

Yuri can’t help but wonder if Yoona really went on a date. Well, the girl is very beautiful, and she wouldn’t be surprised if she really were dating someone. Its just that Yoona didn’t seem like she was seeing someone? And why do you care Kwon Yuri? It’s not like you’re close with Yoona.

Yuri shook her head and knocked her forehead on the steering wheel of her car. Coincidentally, when she was driving out of the hospital, she saw Yoona get on the bus. But it was a different bus from what she normally rides when she goes home so curiosity got the best of Yuri, and she followed her all the way to this restaurant.

Now she just can’t barge in there can she? She shouldn’t even be here! Oh my God Yuri what kind of life choices are you making. She shook her head.

I should just go home. Yeah, like the normal person should do, drive away.

But she’s already here! Another voice pinged in her head, persuading her to stay. Come on Yuri.

I will regret this. I will definitely regret this.

Yuri was chanting those words over and over inside her head as she exited her car. She was sat there for ten minutes after Yoona went in debating with her inner self. She finally decided to go for it. So what? She got no reputation or anything anyway. She got nothing to lose.

She let out her breath slowly as she went in the establishment. She looked around the place cautiously. Now where should I sit so I can look for Yoona without being seen? Yuri’s inner voices must’ve facepalmed themselves because who would’ve thought that for all the options Yuri had, she opted to stalk the girl.

*

Yoona was dodging the question and was trying to formulate an excuse when her eyes travelled to the person who just entered the restaurant. With the surprise in her eyes and the small smile playing on her lips, it didn’t go unnoticed with the other people on their table.

“Or should we just ask the girl?” Tae’s voice broke the ice.

*

Yuri’s head nearly exploded when she turned her head and she saw Yoona looking at her and the girl she saw earlier was waving her hand in the air trying to catch her attention.

Oh fudge.

Why am I doing this to myself? Yuri felt her knees weakened as she walked slowly towards Yoona’s table.

*

“Unnie, you’re going to embarrass me!” Yoona hissed in panic as she saw Yuri walking towards them.

“Shush Yoong.” Tae said behind her smile. Tiffany was amused with Yoona’s blushing face. This is going to be fun.

Yoona stood up when Yuri was in front of them and gestured for her to sit beside Tiffany right across from Yoona.

Yuri smiled at Yoona and faced the other girls.

“Hi, my name is Kwon Yuri, it’s nice to meet you.” Yuri said with her smile, effectively getting everyone’s attention.

Hello Kwon Yuri. Now, tell us what you did to Im Yoona.

Tae thought as she caught a glimpse at Yoona smiling that charming smile that steals people’s hearts at first glance.