Narrowed World

28 days with Ms. Perfect

After a month of being in the Emergency Room, eventually things started to get more comfortable with Yuri. The people, she found out, were cool enough to hang out with regardless the age. She didn’t know any other head nurse who listens to rap and Taylor Swift than the one they have now.

Yuri hummed as she parked her car. She’s actually a little bit earlier than usual and she’s taking her sweet time rather than hurrying up in dizzying steps all the time. When she finally got inside, she placed her bag inside her locker and proceeded to their staff lounge. She wasn’t expecting anyone else yet from her shift since she’s it’s still good twenty minutes before show time.

She reached into the cupboard and took out her coffee cup. She’s not really fond of coffee but she loves the taste of chocolate and nothing else makes her happy than a cup before starting the busy day. She prepared her drink and went back to the couch to enjoy it.

Enjoying the tranquil state, she failed to notice someone sitting at the love seat across the couch, making her gasp out loud as she came staring face to face with none other than Im Yoona, who’s face bore nothing else but boredom.

“Oh, hi!” She said rather awkwardly, averting her gaze down to the cup in her hands.

The other girl nodded and went back to her phone. All Yuri could think of is why is this girl here, and why is she wearing the uniform.

She silently mulled over the thought as one by one her co-workers started streaming in.

“Yuri! Hi!” Dara greeted her as the other girl came inside, bringing with her a huge paper bag carrying fresh out of the oven bread. Everybody gathered round and started sharing the food. They were all laughing and readying themselves for their shift when she noticed that Yoona didn’t move an inch ever since she saw the girl there.

“Uhm, you want some?” Yuri said and offered Yoona some cheese coated bread. She honestly felt bad for leaving the girl to herself. Well if that happened to her she will probably feel depressed.

The girl with her earphones on continued to stare at her screen, seemingly too focused in watching something.

Yuri looked back to her outreached hand with the bread and shrugged.

Maybe she didn’t hear.

She sighed and tried to withdraw her hand when another stopped her from moving, gentle fingers clasped to the bread, making her eyes travel to the owner of the intruding hand.

“This is from the cafe two blocks away from here right?” The deadpan voice sounded, making Yuri wake up from her sudden blank expression.

“Uh, yeah, I think so.” She whipped her head back and squint her eyes to look at the paper bag which read Rosebud.

“My favourite, thanks.” Yoona said and took a bite of the bread, resuming her movie. Yuri bit off a smile as she watched the other girl concentrate in eating and her movie, taking small bites and smiling a bit while munching the treat silently.

Yuri went and adjusted her ID in front of the mirror and noticed Yoona, from the reflection, staring at her last piece of bread before she ate the last piece slowly. Yuri shook her head and gave a small smile.

“Here, you can have mine.”

Yoona looked up and saw the same girl from the party offer her another piece of bread. She stared at the bread before she accepted and muttered a small Thank You. She hated herself for being such a helpless person when it comes to food.

Yuri smiled as she moved her way into the station. It’s finally show time!

Just then, her senior nurse, Nurse Sally came and announced something.

“Shindong had an emergency situation and is now on official leave. To cover his absence, I pulled out someone from the other shift to even out our workload. So, let’s thank Yoona for being here. We promise to bring you back to your old schedule once Shindong returns. Thank you again for agreeing.”

Yoona stood there and bowed to everyone slowly.

So that’s why she’s been too early.

Yuri snuck a glance at the other girl and her eyes widened a bit and looked elsewhere when she just got caught by those chocolate brown eyes.

 

*

 

Yuri had to ask herself why in the world will the management permit for a girl to cover up for a guy’s work.

Honestly, they have equal responsibilities with the guys but the guys have the advantage of strength. She looked at where Yoona was and she can’t help but notice how different she was from Shindong with those bony legs and scrawny arms. Her eyes bulged, did a double take and was amazed when the girl single-handedly lifted the heavy portable drug case back in place.

Okay, no more questions.

 

*

 

She tried to debate inside her head why the girl who was essentially new to the area was to replace a war veteran like Shindong. But every time she came up with a reason, the girl was ready to prove her wrong which amazed her every time.

The girl was way beyond intelligent; she was caring, gentle, practically a medical machine that can do anything. Even the doctors appreciate her presence right away.

So after her crazy eight hour shift, she drove off to buy herself some food and went home to sleep.

As usual, she spotted Yoona (as what she decided to call her instead of Ms. Perfect), waiting at the bus stop. She wanted to give the girl a ride but that would be too creepy even if she’s a girl and it’s on broad daylight.

She slowly drove off and took note as she saw Yoona get inside the big vehicle, oblivious to the world around her with her earphones on and her eyes glued to her phone.

 

*

 

Yuri gave herself a simple and light dinner before she settled on her couch with a tub of ice cream and fixed her eyes on the flat screen TV in front of her.

She took a spoonful, cringed with the sudden cold and let the thing melt inside before gulping it down. She smiled as the sweet taste was all she could think about; well not really.

She can’t get the thought of Yoona outside her head. Why was she even thinking about the girl in the first place? Sure the girl was odd but she should be less interested by her now but she just did the opposite because her curiosity was beyond anything she ever had for someone or anything.

Why is she so freaking different?

Her thoughts were broken when her doorbell rang. She made her way to the door after settling her sweet treat at the table.

Instead of finding anyone there, a huge bouquet of red roses stood there. She stepped aside and looked for anyone but failed. She sighed and went back inside. She cranked up her music and returned to her ice cream.

Damn you Taec, we are never ever getting back together you jerk!

She huffed as Taylor’s song bearing the same title blasted on the background, totally turning her mood 360 degrees.

And I’m freaking allergic to flowers you idiot!

Her face crumpled itself more with the thought of how inconsiderate her ex was.

Then a more sinister thought dawned on her, her eyes widened then narrowed to deadly slits.

Or maybe he’s trying to kill me with anaphylaxis? Jerk.

 

*

 

“You got transferred to another shift?” Tae asked as they sat at the girl’s living room.

“Yeah. Heechul was the only person I could talk to but now we don’t see each other anymore. This .” Yoona groaned as she failed to capture her Pokémon again as she smashed the buttons of her console mercilessly and unnecessarily.

“It’s fine, just make new friends.” Tiff said nonchalantly, sipping her orange juice. Yoona shot her an irritated look and threw her game into the couch.

“If it annoys you that much then why did you agree?” Tae said, rubbing her head as she felt a headache coming up. These two babies are here again to make her suffer.

“I can’t say no.” Yoona said and drank her juice in one go.

“And why not? We all know you’re capable of doing anything if you wanted to.” Tiff raised her brow at the younger girl. This was getting ridiculous, Yoona could’ve just said no instead of punching pillows and boring holes into the ceiling with her glares.

“I don’t know! I just said yes okay?!” She exploded. Tae thought she was going to need a new table when Yoona almost flipped it in anger. But the girl settled in suffocating herself with a throw pillow and muffling her angered shriek.

“This kid seriously needs professional help.” Tiffany said and continued munching her cookie. She had seen Yoona go berserk for a million times that nothing unfazed her anymore.

“Why are you so hot about this, huh, Yoong? Is something bothering you?” Tae said.

Silence.

Typical Yoona. After going invincible hulk on them, Yoona turns into this mushy little kid. Talk about bipolar personality.

The kid Yoong just shook her head sadly and hugged the pillow, burying her face into it.

Tae sighed and shook her head. The girl won’t talk unless she wanted to and she guessed it won’t be anytime soon.

Tiffany reached for the bag at the other side of the table and took a piece of Yoona’s favourite bread. She was about to take a bite when she heard Yoona growling beside her.

“That’s mine.” Yoona gritted her teeth.

“Seriously Yoong, it’s just bread for Christ’s sake.” Tiffany said incredulously but placed it back in the bag nonetheless.

“What made you so freaking sensitive today? Did something happen?” Tae asked. This was not new, Yoona not sharing her food, but for her to react in such intensity, Yoona’s too lazy for that, why is she doing this now?

“She—“ Yoona stopped as if she just said something that she shouldn’t.

“She what?” Tiff asked, curious with what the younger girl was about to say.

“She gave me her share.” Yoona bashfully admitted, hiding her reddish face with her hands.

“What the—what share? Speak humanly Yoong please! You’re trying to kill us with the suspense, Jesus!” Tae exclaimed, wanting to choke the words out of Yoona.

“Of the bread!” Yoona exclaimed, looking crazy, making her unnies think that she finally lost it. She paused, looking dazed as if she’s reliving a memory.

“That girl from the party—she’s different.”

The two other girls looked at her weirdly.

“Oh come on, a girl gave you bread and you’re acting like this? I bought you hundreds of food before and you were never like this!” Tiffany pointed out.

“Don’t even get me started with all those dinner buffets I treated you to!” Tae seconded.

Yoona never gave them a glance and she just shrugged as she picked up her game once again.

“Tsk this girl.” Tiffany puffed wile Tae remained silent as her gears moved on its own. There must be some explanation why—ding!

Tae woke up from her thoughts and stood up to get the roast out.

As they ate their dinner, she couldn’t stop but wonder about her youngest friend.

She’s acting even more abnormal than usual. Why is someone affecting her too much?

She didn’t want to think too much out of it but whoever that girl is.

She must be one heck of a person.

And Tae can’t wait to meet her.

That, she’s expecting soon.