Guardians in Rendell

The Lost Planet

CHAPTER III

GUARDIANS IN RENDELL

 

                In between the boundary of two large continents the small country of Rendell lay peacefully wherein countless of windmills can be found.

In the green foliage of the country, the largest and oldest windmill stood that can be seen even just about hundred miles away before the lands of Rendell. It never failed to catch the eyes of the passing travelers just like Light Seeing and Riyeol who stopped the horses of their wagon to see the majestic sight of the windmill, when a group of bandits waylay on their way in the nearby land.

 

The bandits are much more bulky-ier than Riyeol and it seemed like they were also much stronger than him. Their powers are not yet fully tamed except for the power of frost within Light's body but it is not easy for him to use it since it’s going to be the first if he’s going to wield.

 

The bald and the pockmarked men cornered their wagon and Riyeol has no choice but to fight. He looked at them first before realization dawned into him: it'll be his first time to fight using firsts and not by the means of mouth.

Riyeol jumped off from his seat beside Light on their wagon and unsheathed his sword before pointing it to the bandits that made them even more excited as they saw the emblem of Phoenix, engraved in the quillon block of the sword in return.

 

Light Seeing did the same thing as he grasped the hilt of his sword and upraised it.  Unlike Riyeol's, Light's saber's quillon was covered by a felt fabric made from wool to veil its recognition from the kingdom of Acklea.

 

The two took a step behind their backs little by little as the bandits kept on cornering them. Minutes after, Riyeol and Light was already surrounded by the troupe of bandits.

Riyeol started to attack but his hand lost the grasp from his sword when he got blocked by an eye-patched bulky man.  The sword's impact on the bulky man's axe made it flew.

The other bandit was about to punch and beat them both out to death when a strong wind blew hardly behind their backs making their clothes lift up a little. The wind made their eyes shut close because of the dust that blew along with it.

The thieves suddenly floated mid-air and stirred in the column of air moving rapidly around. When Riyeol and Light opened their eyes, the bandits were already gone and instead, two kids appeared from their sight.

 

The boy having a caramel colored hair, tantalizing eyes and feminine features on his face seemed the oldest between the two.  Riyeol had almost mistaken the kid as a maiden if he weren't speaking earlier. He introduced himself as Ruru Ryuuzaki, and showed them his sphere shaped mark, the power of Telekinesis, in the left lower limb of his shoulder up until to his hand.

The other kid beside Ruru was obviously the younger one. His jaw was defined and his hair was multicolored-- streaks of different color could be seen. Black, brown, yellow, red and blue and oddly, it suited him.  He named himself as Sese Toraoga and introduced the power of Wind within him, showing his birthmark on the opposite arm side of Ruru’s with the image of whirlpool.

               

They were the gate guardians guarding the massive gate behind them and checking each traveler who enter their small country of Rendell. They ran towards the direction where the resplendent insignia lead them and saw a troupe of bandits cornering two men.

Ruru and Sese already seemed to know that Light and Riyeol are just one of the power holders of the 12 Legends.

 

Their birthmarks glowed that moment they are stood beside each other. Just like the other two, Light and Riyeol also introduced themselves and their power.

Except for the power of frost inside Light's body.

 

Ruru Ryuuzaki asked them. “Where are you kids going?”

 

“We're going to the small country of Rendell.” Light Seeing answered him. “This is Rendell, right?” he added.

 

Sese nodded beside Ruru.

 

“What do you need in Rendell?”

 

“We’re looking for someone...”

 

“Then you may pass the gates.” Ruru permitted.

 

“We are the gate guardians of Rendell,” Explained Sese Toraoga.  “I am the Tiger Guardian and Ruru is the Dragon Guardian.”

 

“Oh I see,” Riyeol finally spoke beside Light. “Thanks for the help earlier.”

 

“Oh, it’s fine,” Sese waved his right hand as if dismissing the thought.  “It’s our job, after all.” Ruru said then smiled warmly as if welcoming them both.

 

They waved their hands as the two lads entered the gates.

 

It was already night and Riyeol and Light went straight toward a shady lodge wherein they could rest the night and get ready for tomorrow’s search. They walked inside a bland eatery next to the lodge they’re staying and found a banquet from the folks of Rendell. 

While eating,  an old man approached their table and the eyes of some of the diners went to their direction together with young man enveloped against a brown cloak.

 

“Hey kids!,” The old man greeted as he shuffled towards them.  “You're new faces here. Travelers?”

 

“Ye-yes.” Riyeol stuttered. He and Light both stopped eating.

 

“Where'd you come from?” The other man across their table asked.

 

“We’re from the tiny village of Avestan.” Riyeol noticed that the man had a long beard resting until his lap.

 

“Then why're you guys here in Rendell?”

 

“We’re looking for a certain person...” Riyeol replied.

 

“Who? Well, we might be able to help you.” The other diner offered when a loud, screeching sound was heard. All of the diners froze onto their seats and a caped young man stood and made its way towards to the new faces of Rendell. He once pressed his huge hands against the low table of Riyeol and Light's table and stared steadily at the two.

 

“Why are you looking for him?” the young man asked sternly.

 

Riyeol and Light both looked at each other.

They never told anyone the name that they were trying to find and yet, the two both felt that this man knew something and Light felt like he needed to do something.

 

“It’s none of your business.” he answered him.

 

The old man leaning across Riyeol's table interrupted and tried to lift the heavy atmosphere between them when he was rapidly kicked in the abdominal part that made him stumble and lose his balance; his back lay against the cold wooden floor of the eatery for an instant. His grunts and wails of help echoed inside the room while his hands clutched onto his stomach.

 

“I’ll ask you again,” the man stare narrowed. ”Why are you looking for Yi Xing?” he almost whispered.

 

“Y-Yi Xing?” Light Seeing's eyes widened.  “D'you know him?  We badly need his help.” Light Seeing stood from his seat and bought his face close to the man’s. “Please.”

 

“If you’re going to use him then I won’t let you find him.” The young man stated through his clenched teeth. “Never.” He growled.

 

“W-what?” Light muttered under his breath. Who was this person? Why is he being like this? “Who are you?” he asked disbelievingly.

 

The man stood; his hands leaving their table. It probably even left a mark.

He clutched Light Seeing's collar when Riyeol’s arms threw forward and aimed for the man's hood. The hood fell down on his nape and revealed the man's small eyes with deep eye bags and his stoic face.

Riyeol stood and dragged him outside the eatery and shoved him onto the dirt ground. Light followed and tried to stop the two but even Riyeol didn't even bother to listen to his plea.

 

It seemed like the man knew martial arts. Riyeol just felt himself lying on the ground and felt his body aching everywhere. He just lost.

Light Seeing was dazzled after seeing the two men's fight. He dashed towards to his companion to check if he was okay. Riyeol only grunted in response and it made Light's once tensed body relaxed. He locked gazes with the mysterious man who fought with Riyeol for a moment and gasped as he saw his birthmark.

 

“Who a-are you?” Light stammered.

 

His, Riyeol's, and both the man's marks glowed together once again. Silence filled the air for a moment and the faint brush of wind made the man's hood lift off to his face. He lifted it over to reveal his glowing mark but said nothing.

 

Light heard Riyeol sighed and the latter stood to his knees; ignoring Light's protests and his aching ribs. “For you to trust us, it is necessary for us to introduce ourselves,” He said in a monotone voice; his gazes never leaving the man’s pitch black eyes.  “I hope you do the same thing after I reveal myself to you.” Light swallowed a lump over his throat behind him. “I am the holder of the power of Flame and he,”—he pointed towards Light—“is the holder of Light.” he continued. “My name's Riyeol Phoenix and you are?”

 

“As you can see, I am the holder of Time.” The man finally said after a moment.

 

“And your name?”

 

“Wang Tao.”

 

“And why did you try to get in our way?” Light interrupted.

 

“He, Yixing—no...” Wang Tao stopped briefly. He looked at Riyeol and Light in front of him and sighed.

“Rei is not actually human.” he said softly as he raised his arm and pointed his finger to the stars hovering over their heads.