Disguise

The Revenge of A Fangirl

As much as I want to go to a parlor for a hairstylist, I chopped my hair by myself for my disguise. I can't waste my money anymore.

That night, I called Geum Hyeji, an old friend from Korea to help me with my legal-slash-illegal documents. She also helped me in shopping new clothes for my disguise. It was a good thing that I have savings from my credit card.

"Hey, are you sure about this?" Hyeji asked.

"Don't worry, I'll... I won't mention your names when they find out," I smiled to Hyeji.

"I'm not afraid of them finding out, Jaekyung. I'm afraid of what will happen to you. You're going to live and train with boys," Hyeji said.

"Well, let's say tomorrow, I'll prove them what women can do at times like this," I smiled at Hyeji.

***

"Applicant 5455," One of the staff called.

Finally, I'm already here. I've practiced really hard last night. I had to adjust my voice pitch to a lower one. It turns out I can do Chen's high notes. Thanks to being a girl.

I could see SME's CEO in front of me, together with the judges, and I could totally feel the heat in my head. No, calm down Jaekyung. You have to please his eyes so that he'll like you as a person.

"Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Kang Jaehyo," Yes, the name was right. I will be known as Kang Jaehyo for now.

I tried not to greet as bright like girls often do. But I tried to make it charming, like flower boys do.

"My Chinese name's Qiang Zai Xiao, but I never used it even in America," I continued.

"You look like a baby, Jaehyo," One of the judges said.

Oops. Probably because of my feminine characteristics...

I chuckled and scratched my head, keeping my disguise as a shy teenage boy. "I often hear that too, but I'm already 18 years old,"

The judges chuckled and I could hear them say: "kyeopta."

"Can you perform Gwiyomi player for me?" One of the judges asked. She was a woman in her 30s. The nameplate in front of her says "Nam Kyungri".

But I hate aegyos.

I tried to let out a soft chuckle. "I would love to, but I hate aegyos and I think it would look awkward to me,"

"Ahh, I guess he's really used to America's hiphop culture then since she was raised in America," another judge said.

"I'm so sorry. But I'll try to work on it so I can show you some other time," I smiled.

"Oh, you don't have to Jaehyo. You're cute naturally," Kyungri complimented while the others gave an "awww" to me.

Wow. I can't believe I'd have the charm on noonas. Just like Lee Taemin sunbae!

"So you were raised in America... And you are Chinese-Korean... But are you fluent in English and Mandarin?"

"Yes," I said. "I can also speak in Cantonese and Fookien,"

The judges' mouths turned into an "o" when I revealed my bilingual capacity. Thanks to my mom I learned Chinese. She was so strict about me being a half-Chinese citizen. But me being raised in America was a lie. I only stayed there for six years because we were so desperate for my sister to be treated. And I learned English because my hiphop and R&B idols are all from the States - Eminem, Trey Songz, Chris Brown, Wiz Khalifa, and many more. They're just amaaazing.

"And your Korean influence is only SHINee?" The CEO suddenly asked.

Yes. My sister and I were very different. But I loved EXO when she loved it too, because she started to look healthier when they debuted.

"Yes. I am more into Western hiphop and R&B, but I'd love to change the Hallyu scene into something more different than K-Pop and the Western hiphop culture," I replied confidently.

"Wow. I hope you can do that..." The CEO said while looking at some file, which I think is my bio-data. Bastard. I'll show you what I can do.

"So what are you doing today?" Another judge asked. The nameplate in front of him says "Kim Soon Jung".

"I'm going to dance, sing and rap," I replied. "I can also play the guitar and act,"

"Which song would you like to dance to?" Soon Jung asked.

"Any song would do. I can do freestyle," I said.

The unfamiliar song played, but it was catchy and the beats were clear and well-defined. As I felt myself dancing through the music, I started moving my feet.

The next thing they let me do is to rap. I rapped a song by Beenzino, "Dali, Van, Picasso". They all gave me a round of applause, including the CEO.

Then they asked me to sing. I sang EXO's What is Love...

Then I remembered how my sister and I cut the parts of the song so we could sing it together. I couldn't help but to just let the tears fall as I remember my memories with her.

I closed my eyes as I sang, and I felt like I'm singing the song with her. As the song ended, I gave a 90-degree bow and apologized for crying.

"It's okay.. But may we know why were you crying?" Kyungri asked.

"I just missed my... Family," I didn't want to bring up the case of my sister. I don't want her to be involved in the revenge I'll do. Although this is for her, this revenge is all about my anger, not hers. I just want her to rest in peace. "S-Sorry for being emotional. I didn't mean to be dramatic,"

"No, it's okay. It's natural for foreigners like you to feel that way," the CEO consoled me and I wanted to puke. "But you sang it so emotionally that we could feel the song through our hearts. Just wait for our call, Kang Jaehyo."

"Yes, thank you sunbaenims," I said and bowed another 90-degree bow.

 

Usually, the auditionees had to wait for a week before SM Entertainment announces the results of the audition. But the next day...

"Is this Kang Jaehyo?" A man talking from the phone asked.

"Yes, this is sh... I mean, he..." Aahhhh! Jaekyung you have to be careful! That was close.

"We want to congratulate you! You passed the auditions,"

"Really?!" I squealed in excitement.

"J-Jaehyo-sshi?" The man called my attention, making me remember that I should be a boy and why the heck did I squealed.

"I-I'm sorry, that was... uhmm... My cousin... She uhh..." I stammered.

"It's alright, we often receive those reaction, especially with female auditionees,"

"No sir, I'm a boy!" I defended.

"Huh?" He chuckled. "I know that, Jaehyo-sshi, I'm only saying..."

GOSH I'M DEAD.

"Anyways, the CEO wants to talk to you because... He had chosen you to become a special trainee,"

"S-Special trainee?" I asked and got some milk in the fridge.

"Yes," The man said. "He wants to talk to you personally at 1PM at the SME Building."

"Okay, I'll be there," I said and hang up.

 

That afternoon, I quickly headed to the SME Building. There were fans again, crowding SME's entrance. Two white vans came and parked in front of the SME building.

Then, one by one, a group of familiar guys walked out of the van...

EXO.

"Excuse me young ladies," The manager said and protected the boys.

"Some of the trainees here are crazy over them just like those fans," One of the guards whispered to me.

I could see Sehun's eye smile as he fooled around with Baekhyun. The others, on the other hand, looked exhausted. Some tried to put smiles on their faces. But one person caught my attention...

Chanyeol kept waving to the fans like he was some superstar while Baekhyun and Sehun kept laughing at him and taking pictures of him.

Is he taking drugs or what?

"He's probably the responsible for fan service today," Another guard said.

"Anyways, I'll be going in," I said and walked inside the building.

This is it. I should not screw up. Fighting!

I ran towards the available elevator and found EXO was there. I bowed as a sign of respect to them and quickly walked in, afraid that the doors would close.

"Excuse me, little kid," A man with a deep voice said.

DID SOMEONE JUST CALL ME 'LITTLE KID'?!

I turned to see who it was, and saw Chanyeol, fixing his cap. Honestly, when my sister was spazzing over EXO, I hate seeing this big guy with big ears, big eyes and big grin, plus his awkward dimple to his left cheek. His every action irritates me. It looks scripted and he looks like he's trying hard to look like a good flower boy to people. Gosh. I hate him.

"I'm not a kid," I defended.

Chanyeol smiled, revealing his irritating dimple on his left cheek. "Kid or not, you need to leave this elevator," He winked and tapped my head.

"Why would I do that? Not just because you're my sunbaes you have to treat me like this! I mean, everyone can use the elevators here, right?" I defended.

"Ooh... I guess you're a newbie here," Chanyeol said in a mocking tone. The others chuckled like they were agreeing to him.

See what I mean?! This is the two-faced man that I'm talking about! When he's in front of the camera he acts like a cute puppy who would do whatever his boss or hyungs asks him to do! But when he's off the camera, that's when the real monster inside him manifests!

"Cut it, Chanyeol," An unfamiliar man said, probably their manager. "I'm sorry, but the elevators in this building can hold up to 12 persons only,"

I tried to check if the elevator was really full. Kai, D.O., Chanyeol, Chen, Lay, Tao, Su Ho, Baekhyun, Se Hun, Xiumin, and Lu Han. 11 EXO members. Plus their manager.

My mouth hung open in embarrassment and exasperation. Why is there such thing as weight capacity?!

I could see the other 11 boys try to control themselves from laughing.

"Uhmm... I hope I did not offend you," Chanyeol said and gave me a V-sign.

I bit my lips and agitatedly stepped off the elevator.

The doors closed and I could still see Park Chanyeol's V-sign waving to me.

I hate you Park Chanyeol.

***

"Annyeonghaseyo!" I bowed and greeted the CEO as he got inside.

"Hi, Jaehyo," The CEO greeted me warmly. "Take a seat,"

I quickly sat on the sofa comfortably yet keeping my manly self. If he wants me, he needs to deal with me.

"So, I guess you already know why you're here," He said and crossed his arms.

"Yes, but I don't get what a 'special trainee' is," I said straightforwardly.

"Yes, yes," He said and slid a folder on his desk towards me. "I would like you to be part of the trainees that auditions for the replacement of EXO's Kris,"

"Really?!" My eyes grew wide and my female voice almost came out. I cleared my throat and gulped. I didn't know this disguise would make it easier for me.

The CEO chuckled. "I saw your potentials were very amazing. It leveled to the trainees here in our entertainment, and I could not waste your time to go back to basics. So I'm going to give you the chance to debut as fast as you can,"

"T-Thank you, sajangnim. I wasn't really expecting this," I said and tried to look as humble as I could show him.

"Well, I still have to remind you that your trainings wouldn't be as basic as the regular trainees will encounter. You will have to train like you're almost going to debut. Have you heard of SM Rookies?"

I nodded. Yes, I heard of them. They were the trainees from SME that were exposed through their websites, probably so that the fans would anticipate their debut. His ideas really .

"So you will have to train with the boys of SM Rookies. And sometimes you will be training with EXO too. The things in the contract are just the same with the regular trainees' contract. If you choose to be a regular trainee, it's fine. But Jaehyo, once you've accepted this offer as a special trainee, you can't back out anymore,"

I smiled at him. "Count me in, sajangnim. I'll work hard and try not to waste this opportunity," I signed on the contract cheerfully.

"I'm really expecting a lot from you. You're the first trainee that really heightened my expectations and my curiosity,"

I cheerfully bowed. "Thank you sajangnim!"

"By the way, you'll be having a medical check-up tomorrow,"

"Medical Check-Up?!" I repeated, in fear.

"Yes... To check if you have certain health problems that wouldn't be appropriate in becoming a trainee,"

Does it involve examination?!