Risks

The EXO Files [Hiatus]

    Risks

    

    Yixing knew that it was dangerous for Sehun to stay in his home; a calculated risk. He reasoned that with the EXO Killer still at large everywhere they went would be dangerous.The case had made more progress in the one week since the formation of the team than it had in the prior months of searching and waiting. Yixing didn’t know if he should be thankful for that; or who he should be thankful towards. The un-sub was getting sloppy - revisiting crime scenes and leaving psychological fingerprints that in no way could be ignored. Chanyeol’s cyber investigations had taught them that there wasn’t much time at all before Yixing’s parts ended up in jars; in fact the jars were impatiently waiting for him. 

    ‘Is there a chance that it won’t be Yixing?’ Tao had asked as they gathered into the meeting room of the department.

    ‘Well…’ Jongdae’s sentence trailed off before starting again as suddenly as it stopped, ‘it’s theres a 50% chance.’

    The cogs in Tao’s head began to turn as the others watched him, hoping he’d be able to connect the dots; ‘Oh! Oh Sehun!’ He exclaimed.

    Yixing gave a small smile as he ruffled Tao’s hair, ‘Let’s just hope it’s me.’

    ‘Let’s just hope the old lady was the last one,’ Xiumin interjects hopefully as he claps his hands. ‘I was looking at the ladies corpse last night and I saw something - it’s not always unusual however in this case it’s almost absurd.’

    ‘Speak slowly,’ Kyungsoo ordered as he pulled out his notes. 

    ‘Well…’

 

    ‘Enough!’ Suho thundered as he stormed into the room, the door barely clinging to it’s hinges. No one was shocked to see him.

    Yixing stood quickly, bracing himself for the wrath of the older man.

    ‘You!’ Suho yelled as his hands wrapped around Yixing’s collar, ‘Do you have a death wish?! Do you want me to kill you right here, right now?’ 

    ‘Suho,’ Xiumin whispered as he attempted to tug the chief away from Yixing, but Suho’s grip held fast. 

    ‘You all knew?’ Suho spat furiously, his eyes setting the room on fire. ‘Sehun has no place in your home, Yixing. He should be in hiding, or handed over to protective services - you should know better than placing two prime future victims in one room. You’re tempting fate!’ 

    ‘There’s a timeline, I’m safe for another two weeks,’ Yixing argued pointlessly.

    Suho’s fist raised, positioned to collide with the younger’s face. ‘There’s no such thing as safe in this world,’ he said sadly, ‘you should know better than anyone.’

    ‘I know;’ The words escaped Yixing’s mouth in a whimper. ‘I know he’s watching every move I make. I know that he’s memorised every detail of every case I’ve worked. I know he’s read every single word Luhan ever wrote about me and I know that there are jars with my name on them.’

    The chief didn’t let go, in fact his grip tightened. 

    ‘With all due respect,’ Kyungsoo interjected sternly, ‘If we can’t solve the case in two weeks we will all be leaving turning in our badges. If you have such little faith in us then you should dismiss us now and assign someone else.’

        The seriousness in his tone resonated throughout the room, no one dared to speak. 

    ‘Y-you all planned to resign?’ Yixing stuttered finally, more than a little shocked by the information. ‘But Tao’s career just started…’

    ‘Yixing gege,’ Tao sighed, ‘Do you really think any of us could keep on doing this if we got you killed? We’d be just as bad as the killer.’ 

    Yixing’s mouth opened as if he were going to say something and then snapped shut. “Than what about Luhan? Aren’t we already as bad as the killer?” Is what he wanted to protest, but he knew this was different. This time they knew. 

 

    Suho reluctantly released Yixing’s collar and lowered his fist before running his hands through his hair and giving a frustrated yell. ‘If he dies I’ll make bloody sure that none of you work in this ing country ever again!’ He said bitterly as he jabbed a finger into Kyungsoo’s chest. ‘“Assign someone else?” what a joke! You all know there isn’t anyone else. No one will ever solve this case - no, no one will ever even want to read the case files - knowing that the best detectives in Asia lost their jobs and their lives over it!’

    ‘Then shut up and let us do our jobs,’ Chanyeol seethed, his jaw tight. ‘We’re working on a deadline.’

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------

Author's note!

Hello! Just saying hello to ya'll before I vanish for a while. I'm really sorry but chapter production will probably slow down alot because I recently switched to a new school where I have no friends, no life and no chance of passing 12th grade. 

I'm feeling a bit deflated at the moment so... we'll see how things go. :) Love you all!