Ice-Cream

The EXO Files [Hiatus]

Sehun watched as he waited for Yixing to wake up. ‘You don’t know him,’ Sehun breathed into the stagnant air of Luhan’s room. ‘You didn’t know the real Luhan. Nobody did.’ Sehun looked up at the book shelf Luhan had forbinned him from going near - the bookshelf that had hidden the truth about Luhan for so long.

    Yixing stirred in his sleep, then settled back down again.

    Sehun (who was tired of waiting) suddenly jumped up, kicking the sleeping man in the . 

    ‘What?’ Yixing instinctively felt for where his weapon should have been, ‘Who’s there?’ The panic in his voice faded as he realised where he was; still curled up on the hardwood floor of Luhan’s room. The water Sehun had spilled had soaked his hair and half of his body.  ‘Sorry, Sehun… did you kick me?’ his eyes widened at the thought of Sehun being so energetic. 

    The boy nodded and pointed to Luhan’s Manchester United themed alarm clock; 10:16 am.

    Yixing groaned and flopped back against the floorboards. ‘Don’t worry, I’m not late. I’m free until lunchtime…’ Yixing smiled, touched that the boy would wake him up for work. ‘Sehun-ah, do you want to go get ice-cream?’ Yixing asked hopefully.

    Sehun made a face that seemed to be accusing Yixing of having ulterior motives.

    ‘Yah!’ Yixing defended himself, ‘I’m worried about you! Isn’t that normal?’ 

    Sehun shrugged, his face straightening back into his usual straight faced expression. After a moment he nodded; yes, he wanted ice-cream.’

    ‘You’ll really come?’ Yixing sat up in shock. Again the boy nodded. ‘This is really amazing,’ Yixing smiled as he stood, ‘I’ll go have a shower, are my clothes still in the spare room?’ 

    Another nod.

    ‘You can shower first if you like,’ Yixing offered.

    This time Sehun shook his head; No, he didn’t want Luhan’s scent to wash away.

    ‘Okay,’ Yixing ruffled the boy’s hair, suddenly realising how tall he was, ‘What is this, why are you twenty feet tall?’

    Sehun shrugged cooly again and Yixing could have sworn he had seen a a smile flicker across his face. 

    ‘Freaking giraffe. I’ll be right back,’ he smiled as he made his way into the spare room. He was fairly certain that no one else had ever stayed in there so it had become his room. Luhan even used to call it “Yixing’s room.” He pulled a fresh set of shirt and pants out from the closet and then realised he would have to go without a jacket for the day (hopefully Suho remembers to turn on the heaters in the conference room).

    

    After his shower Yixing quickly dressed himself, hoping Sehun hadn’t had enough time to change his mind about the ice-cream. ‘Sehun! Are you ready?’ He called from the front door. 

    Much to Yixing’s surprise Sehun hadn’t changed his mind. In fact the boy had even put on fresh clothes and the beginnings of a smile played around his lips. 

    ‘You look good, you even brushed your hair,’ Yixing exclaimed with a grin. Sehun poked his tongue out. ‘Today’s going to be good,’ Yixing told the boy, ‘at least for an hour.’

 

    Sehun sat quietly as Yixing ordered their ice cream. This was the first time he had left the house for something other than school since Luhan was killed. He didn’t even go to his brother’s funeral. He still remembered the way Yixing seemed to tear in half when Sehun told him he wasn’t going to go; “I don’t want to see him… If it’s the last time.” He could tell that Yixing didn’t want to go either. They both wanted to remember Luhan as warm and alive, a smile fixed upon his face. 

    ‘Here we are,’ Yixing said as he held an ice cream out in front of Sehun’s face. 

    ‘Tell me,’ Sehun asked as Yixing sat down, ‘How did he die?’

    Yixing’s brows creased as if he had stubbed his toe; ‘You never talk and the first thing you ask is that?’ 

    ‘I want today to be good,’ Sehun mumbled. His latest theory was that if he could only find out what had happened that night then maybe… maybe he could let it go. ‘Please?’

    The older man studied the boy, trying to find reasons not to tell him. ‘Okay,’ he gave in, ‘but it’s… you might hate me afterwards.’

    Sehun stared back, ‘I might not,’ he offered weakly. 

    Yixing swallowed, “If you don’t then you’re too much like your brother,” he thought. 

    ‘Tell me,’ Sehun urged, less patiently this time.

    ‘We were working the EXO Killer case…’