Ex temporis (pt 1)

Asimov's Laws: Magnesia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ex temporis
--for it is out of time that we remember

Four months after its genesis, Taeyeon had become much more sophisticated in replicating human behaviour. One of the main changes that it had to undergo, however, was how it addressed human beings and other robots.

It would be much to conspicuous if it continued to call its creator "Professor Jason Chaewon Jung" when he was specified to be its father. It would no longer address Professor Jason Chaewon Jung as such, and call him "father", both in programming and verbally, instead. It would also refer to its absent sister as "Jess" should anyone ask about her.

No one ever had.

Regardless, the robot was encouraged to form amiable relationships with human beings, as well as learn how to address them without raising suspicions. Robots, after all, had a tendency to address a human with its full name. And by interacting with more humans than just Father, Taeyeon would have to learn the proper manner of addressing humans of all kinds of statuses and positions of authority.

One way in which Father had instigated this human contact was by enrolling it into a local school.

It had varying levels of success in integrating into the society at school; various humans were comfortable with calling Taeyeon their "friend", which it inferred to be a title it was supposed to reciprocate. One such person who called it a "friend" was Lee Ji-eun, though she would often ask it to call her "Aiyoo" instead.

Taeyeon had learned that not all orders needed to be obeyed, unless it came from its creator. It would continue to call Lee Ji-eun "Ji-eun" instead of Aiyoo.

"Father."

"Yes, Taeyeon?"

"I have been invited to a party next Saturday by classmate Ji-eun. Will I be required to attend it?"

"A party? Hm... it would be a good experience for you. You will be required to attend. Make sure you return home by two in the morning. Needless to say, you will not be discovered by anyone, least of all this Ji-eun. Do you understand?"

"Yes, father."

Taeyeon stood there patiently as Father mulled something over. However, Father shook his head, and sent Taeyeon a smile.

His expression expressed emotions similar to amusement and what was termed 'a dry expression'. It thus supposed that Father was smiling 'wryly'. It stored this particular expression into its databases; it was a new expression that it had yet to encounter.

"I wouldn't be surprised if some... very mature scenarios will play themselves out during this party."

Taeyeon was sure that he meant t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter