Ex spes

Asimov's Laws: Magnesia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ex spes
--for we have been brought out by hope

Systems; on
Life support; true

Booting up life support...
Systems initiating now...

Systems engaged.

Programme 'deus ex machina' online.

The robot's first breath had been unnecessary.

The act of filling its lungs with air was redundant. Gaseous exchange did not occur within its lungs, nor did the robot need air to survive as humans did. The exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide did not occur within its synthetic lungs, for there was no need to respire.

Human beings respired to produce energy in the form of adenosine triphosphate using organic molecules such as glucose, which was often found in food. The conversion between chemical energy to kinetic energy for movement required the dephosphorylation of adenosine triphosphate into adenosine diphosphate and an inorganic phosphate molesule as it triggered the contraction and relaxation of muscles within the body.

Robots did not require this organic production of energy using organic materials found within food in order to move. Energy was created from an alternative source within its body; this robot in particular had an experimental energy core within its chest that theoretically produced infinite energy for it to fulfill its purpose.

The energy core was smaller than the average human heart, but produced enough energy to allow the robot to function at full capacity even without the need for additional capacitors or an external generator. Comprising of a highly condensed electromagnet that generated exponential amounts of voltage whenever the robot was active, the unused energy was stored within batteries located within its spine in the case of emergencies. Should the experimental energy core prove to be infinite and lasting, it was possible that it would eventually replace all conventional generators due to its high effeciency and low environmental costs. However, all data pertaining to this energy core had been subsequently deleted from all databases, apart from the robot's own.

Nevertheless, the act of breathing occurred because it had been programmed to breathe, constantly like a human would, by Professor Jason Chaewon Jung.

Prof. Jason Chaewon Jung
: Male
Age: 49 years, 4 months, 8 days
Ethnicity: Asian
   Sub-ethnic group: Korean
   Nationality: American
Family: censored (unspecified), 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter