Darkest Times

Red Light

  Hearing their question made Jongdae exhaled as a response. Though he kept his face motionless, the way he fiddles his fingers proves he was pretty nervous. "The times when i was a Red Alpha?"

  Sangwook and Sehun nodded in unison. "We need to know how it was built, how the system works, pretty much everything you know."

  "Also," Sehun handed Krystal's potrait to Jongdae, "We want to know what you knew about her."

   It took a moment until Jongdae recognizes the potrait. "It's been years since i saw her." He fixed his seat position and cleared his throat.

   "Red Alpha was first created eight years ago. That time, Red Alpha were weak and powerless. The creator of that group, Jung Jihoon, was searching for some members. I was the first generation, along with Changmin. I met Jihoon when i was fourteen, when my parents died because of a contract killer. He saw my potential, and asked me to join. 

   That organization were created nothing but to make people out there suffer. The members were trained to kill, steal, pretty much bad stuffs. Jihoon created that group simply because he's purely mad and ruthless. But each of the members had their own personal reasons why they want to join. As for me, i wanted to pay back to the contract killer that killed my parents. Eventually, when i had my revenge to the contract killer, i turned blind. Jihoon somehow made his way into my mind, and making me kill more and more. 

  I spent three years of my life killing people and received money by that. The Red Alpha was getting stronger and stronger too. Until Minjoo opened my eyes." 

  Jongdae paused for a moment to take a breath, "The thing is, I have changed since i met her, okay? Eversince Minjoo came into the picture, my bloodthirst was gone, nor the urge to do any kind of crimes anymore." He said, putting on his glasses to the table and stared at the two detectives, "Look. You guys can arrest me for all the victims i've killed in the past, but i did not kill Minjoo. Jihoon couldn't accept my request on resigning so he played trick and made the polices think i killed her. I never wanted to betray her and Minseok hyung."

  "We understand. We will inform the rightful department. Now, about Krystal." Sehun changed the topic. "What do you know about her?" 

  "Oh, i felt sorry for her." Jongdae replied. "Krystal was twelve that time, but she'd received the toughest training. Her father, Jihoon himself was the one who trained her. Jihoon often abused her if she didn't practice properly. I may never see the scene in person, but sometimes i could hear her scream, and when she came out, there are new scars and bruises on her body. Among all the trainees, she was the one who suffered the most. Four years passed and she became the first ranked worker in the group at the age of sixteen. Not just her skills improved, i can see her heart hardened as well. She used to be my close friend, that terrified girl who begged for me to hide her from his father, but when we were officially workers, she became cold and dark. Totally different from the previous Krystal i knew."

   Sehun turned his gaze back to Krystal's potrait. What kind of dad is Jihoon who abused his own daughter? That's totally madness. He never thought Krystal had such a dark past.

   "What's her weakness? And how do we stop her?" Sangwook threw another question. Which made Jongdae laughed. "I don't know. Once she got her target, there is no way to stop her. As you can see in that symbol murder case."

   A glimpse of that memory when he stopped Krystal for killing a girl came to Sehun's mind. Once she got her target, there is no way to stop her, that's what Jongdae said. Was she that unstoppable? But how did Sehun manage to prevent her to do her kill that night?

   "Well, except for Jung Sooyeon." Jongdae added. The two detectives threw a confused look to each other before back to Jongdae. "Jung Sooyeon?"

   "Yeah, Krystal's sister. I don't know much about her, but i saw her came to the headquarters one time, she talked to Krystal and managed to stop her from killing a man that had been kidnapped by Jihoon." Jongdae explained. "If you guys want to stop Krystal, maybe Sooyeon has a way."

  Again, the father and son glanced at each other. Another step to unsolve Krystal's mystery. They can feel they're pretty close to get the key.

  So after that, the two detectives thanked Jongdae for giving the informations. Sangwook also promised he'll inform the court to clear Jongdae's name from suspects list of Minjoo's murderer. Bidding him a goodbye, Sangwook and Sehun went back to their office.

 

   Sangwook and Sehun waste no time and began searching for Jung Sooyeon's profile. Sangwook was on his desk with the computer, while Sehun began focus on his laptop.

   They spent half an hour of silence. Until Sehun decided to open a conversation.

  "Hey, dad."

  "Hm?"

  "You said you've been searching for Krystal since the 'F' case." Sehun spoke, "Why? What is your relation with her?"

  His father remained silent for the next ten seconds. His fingers danced on the keyboard, searching name by name. "Sometimes there are things that you don't need to know."

  That was enough to confuse Sehun. Before he could throw another question, Sangwook already cut him off. "Ah, found it."

  Sehun's eyes brightened and approached his father, "You found Sooyeon's identity?"

  "Yeah." Sangwook scrolled down, reading Jung Sooyeon's profile that shown on the screen. "Jung Sooyeon, also known as 'Jessica Jung'. 25 year old and a fashion desginer."

   Sehun was reading the profile as well. "Ah, she's pretty popular, huh? And now she lives in..." his eyes widened as he saw the word. He looked at Sangwook in disbelief, "Dad, don't tell me we're gonna-"

  "Yep," A wide smile was plastered on Sangwook's face, "Son, we're going to Japan tomorrow. Or, a day after tomorrow."

   Sehun rolled his eyes, "Dad, you said it as if it was easy."

  "Well, it is." Sangwook patted Sehun's shoulder. "Now go observe Sooyeon's profile, i'm gonna book some tickets."

  His son could only shook his head as Sangwook left. The typical Sangwook who takes anything to catch a bad guy. Well, at least Sangwook's the one who pays. Sehun guesses it wouldn't burden him.

   Sehun decided to search by her other name, Jessica. The woman is pretty famous. Not just a successful desginer, she's also a musical actress. Totally different with her younger sister. But, she does resembles to Soojung. She had the same cold eyes, only with warmer aura. Their smile were also look alike. Sehun rested his chin against his hand. He hoped Jessica will open her heart, he hoped the long way will worth it. Sehun had this strong feeling that he needed to know deeper about Krystal. Maybe sooner or later, he'll figure out the reason why.

 

 

 

 

oOo

 

 

 

 

  "Thank you for your attention, i'll see you the day after tomorrow. You may dismiss." Professor Kim took his laptop and stuffs before walking out of the class.

  Sehun stretched his arms into the air. Four hours of listening the lectures and answering questions. Sehun, as usual, successfully answered those questions in a detailed way (Which is the reason he's the teacher's pet) but man, that drained his energy a lot. Sometimes it's hard for him to be a professor's favorite because they're always expecting the best answers or explanations from him.

  Like today's class for example, Sehun even spent seven or eight minutes just to answer a question because lucky for him, Professor Kim gave him a complicated question that requires a long answer. Geez, lot of thanks to the old man.

  With dragged steps and rumblimg stomach, Sehun walked through the corridor. In his hand was a small green box of chocolates. He clenched his grip on the box whenever he passes through girls as they began to whisper at each other.

  "Oh my god, it's Sehun sunbae! Oh my, he looks so cool even with only T-shirt and jeans!"

  "Is that chocolate? Who gave him that chocolate?!"

  "Whoever she is, she is so dead! How come she got his attention?!"

  "Does he has a girlfriend? I really want to know!"

  Sehun could only sigh hearing those whispers. Well, the chocolate was given by a girl earlier in the morning. Don't get him wrong, He had no choice but to accept it afterall, since the girl put it to his hands without his knowing, and ran away right before Sehun could call her. Maybe Sehun should give the chocolate to Minseok, that barista would do anything for chocolate.

  Sehun made his way out of the building. He keep walking while looking around. Instinctively he stopped at an empty bench nearby. He spent a few seconds staring, then he shook his head. Why would he expect Soojung sitting there? Eversince Sehun discover her other identity, Soojung never sit at that bench anymore. She rarely attend classes. Once she did, she'll take the farthest seat from Sehun. When the class is over she would exit the room before Sehun could stood up.

  Suddenly, Sehun felt a hand patted on his shoulder. "Chocolate, eh? Where did you get that?"

  Sehun looked at his left, and saw the tanned girl walking at his side. He flashed her a thin smile, "A random girl gave me. I had no choice but accept it."

    Yuri let out a chuckle, "Can't handle those fangirls, aren't you?"

  "Tell me about it."

  They walked towards the gate as they have some light conversations. It turns out, Yuri is a pretty good friend. Sehun findsh himself comfortable hanging out with that girl. She wasn't that annoying afterall.

  "So, have you arrest Jongin yet?" Asked Yuri in all sudden. Which made Sehun pretty surprised. "How did you know that?"

   Yuri shrugged, "My father is a reporter. He's currently making reports for the Lily case. Sometimes i lend him some help." Her face turned to Sehun, looking at him curiously, "It was Jongin, isn't it? The one who killed Seulgi?"

  The man exhaled, "It's hard to take in, but yeah."

  The tanned girl scoffed, "I'm glad i broke up with him. Who knew he's a total psycho." She managed a laugh at the end.

  Soon, the two had arrived at the college's gate. "Well, Good luck for catching him, Sehun-ah. Really anticipating to see Jongin in jail." Said Yuri.

  Sehun chuckled," Yeah. Good luck to you too."

   They bid each other's goodbye as they walked separate ways. Sehun made his way to Blue Petals Café, as usual. He walked calmly while whistling some random tunes.

   But it only last for thirty seconds, until he got dragged into an alley by a mysterious force.

  Sehun expected a big muscular man with tattoo or something typical with gangsters. His hands were ready to give some sweet counter-attack. But he'd never expected a dark-haired girl slamming him against the wall as her arm on his neck, blocking his movements.

  "Look at what you've done, Sehun." She said coldly.

  "Soojung?" Sehun frowned. "But i-"

  "Because of you, i lost my target! Now, i warned you, Oh Sehun. If you keep helping my targets escape, i'll shoot your head off!"

   "Hey," Sehun calmly said, "I wasn't helping your targets escape, you did."

  "It's because you're getting in my way!"

  "I only asked you not to kill that girl, Soojung. You could've attack me and chase after the girl. But you didn't, because you listened to me."

  That was enough to make Soojung froze. Her arm on his neck was a bit loosen.

  "Tell me, Soojung. Why do you want to kill those people? Can't you stop doing that?"

   "I told you, Sehun. You won't understand!"

   "I would if you tell me."

  Soojung's face was unpredictable. But Sehun can see his words struck her again. Sehun keep moving on. "Every member of Red Alpha has a reason to join, right?" He said. 

  The dark haired girl scoffed. She looked at Sehun before pushing her arm into his neck even more, making it harder for him to breathe. "I spent eight years creating this mask and you just have to-"

   Silence came in all sudden. Even Sehun forgot he needed to breathe for a moment. He waited, waiting for the girl to continue her sentence. But nothing came out from . Instead, he saw her expression hardened as she let him go. Sehun coughed several times, finally having a space to breathe.

  "Just stop getting in my way, okay? I got this job and i need to succeed."

 

 

 

 

oOo

 

 

 

 

   At the Blue Petals, Sehun sat at his favorite spot. Sipping his americano while looking at the window. He could see the sun began to set behind a building. Ready to be replaced by the moon. Since Minseok was pretty busy today, they only greeted each other before Minseok went back to his stan to make customer's orders.

   The screen of Sehun's phone lit up as it received a message. A bit reluctantly, he took his phone to see the message. It was from his father, telling him that he got plane tickets to Japan for the day after tomorrow. A small smirk was formed on Sehun's lips. That guy really meant his words, huh? He thought.

  An hour passed, the café went less crowded. Seeing there are no orders yet, Minseok decided to join his friend.

  "Finally," Minseok sighed, finally having time to rest his body. He opened the chocolates Sehun gave him and began to eat them. "It's unusual you bought me chocolates."

  Sehun shrugged, "Nope. A girl gave me this."

  Minseok threw him a meaningful look, "Ooohh~ who?"

  "How am i supposed to know? She just handed me and ran away without showing her face."

   His answer made Minseok laughed, "Ah, you sure have a lot of fans."

  Sehun gave no respond and sipped his coffee. A moment of silent came between them. "You know, it's nice to see the café crowded again." He changed the topic.

  Minseok chuckled and following the younger guy watching the sunset. "I was worried too. But as time passes, the Lily case began to fade from the citizens, and the customers came back."

  The younger guy took another sip of his coffee. "Anyway, hyung."

  "Huh?"

  "I talked to Jongdae two days ago." Sehun spoke, "And, he wanted you to know that he never want to betray Minjoo, nor you."

  Minseok's face darkened hearing that name. He looked at his feet a glimpse of a particular memory came to his mind.

 

   "How dare you, Jongdae!! You've betrayed us!!!" He cried as he grip Jongdae's collar. Looking at him with full of anger, his tears keep rolling down his cheeks.

  "I should've not trust you!! I knew you would betray us!!" He kept saying those words to the younger man. Disappointed and angry mixed in his heart.

  Jongdae managed himself to stand still like a statue. Tears were also bursting in his eyes. "I'm sorry, hyung... i'm sorry.." that was all he could say.

 

   "Really? How can you tell?" The barista asked coldly.

  "Hyung, please listen." Said Sehun, "Jongdae never had an attempt to kill her. He loved your sister, Hyung, very much. He gave you full respect. Minjoo was the reason why he wanted to quit the Red Alpha."

  Somehow, Minseok's expression softened. "It was?"

  "It was his boss who ordered him to kill Minjoo. Because his boss couldn't accept him on quitting." Sehun looked at him. "Listen, hyung. You're the only witness that lives. You know Krystal was the murderer, right? Jongdae will be taken to the court and i need you to help him."

  Minseok exhaled, "Why would i help him? I remember how he pointed his pistol at her, Sehun-ah. How come he could be forgiven? Maybe if Krystal didn't barge in that night, maybe if he took some more time, he would shoot his bullet through my Minjoo's head!"

  "But he didn't, did he?" Said Sehun. "Hyung, you know yourself his innocent on that tragedy. You're his only chance. If you don't come to that court you could be arrested for making an innocent person thrown to prison for nothing."

  That was Sehun's first time threatening him. The elder guy made an unpredictable look.

 

 


 

 

 

Sorry for the late update everyone. anyway, thank you for all readers for keep reading although it's kinda boring, hehe. see you in the next chap!