3 | Return

The Coast
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The two biked back to Jooeun's house. It was up a hill, overlooking the sea. One of the best views on the island. She was lucky to wake up to it every morning.

"Umma, Jongdae is here!"

Jooeun walked into the kitchen where her mother was busy refilling almost empty bottles of spices.

Her home was also a bed and breakfast, where various tourists would stay throughout the year. They received great reviews and complete customer satisfaction, so business wasn't dying down anytime soon. Jooeun was proud that her mother was doing something she loved and genuinely enjoyed. Enough money was made from the inn to live comfortablely, and her mother did not hesitate in encouraging her to become a teacher. The duo led a simple life, but they were happy and fulfilled. That was all that mattered.

"Jongdae?" The elder halted her actions and turned around confused. There, her "second child" stood and bowed.

"Hello eomoni, long time no see," he grinned.

"Omo, Kim Jongdae! My child! How are you?" The old lady grabbed the boy into her arms and squeezed with all the strength an old woman could possess. Jooeun smirked, feeling her heart jump and fly. Jongdae and her mom must've been one hell of a match in their past lives. They got along so well that he was known as her son-in-law, even before Jooeun and him started dating.

She touched the tall boy all over.

"Oh my goodness, you've lost so much weight! I have to make something right away," she flailed around cutely. "Sit down, sit down!"

And with that, their evening reunion began.

---

"I swear she loves you more than she loves me sometimes."

Jongdae laughed and took a swig of the drink in his hand. They were drinking soju outside on the porch. Humid air surrounded the night, making their skin stick slightly on the plastic chairs.

Dinner was a joyful one. As Jooeun's mother served all sorts of food, various side dishes littering the table. It was a traditional meal, another aspect Jongdae had missed about his childhood. In Seoul, he could've gotten a meal like that for a certain amount of won, but it was different. There was a bland taste that didn't compare to his second mother's cooking. A flavor he had known since he was a child.

To Jongdae's relief, the elder did not question him as much as he had expected. He wanted a calm and stress-free evening.

On the other hand, Jooeun had so many thoughts entering her mind. She wanted to ask him so many things. To why he was back, and why it was now he chose to appear again. Her life had been stable, quiet without him.

"Are you happy to be back?" She asked softly, smiling at the boy sitting next to her. He smiled back

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter