An overdose of heartbreak

Mending the Heart ( APink Naeun fanfic)
 

Sebastian’s POV:

 

* Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep*

Ugh.

* Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.*

Oh for goodness sake.

My eyes snapped open at the repetitive and very annoying electronic sound, and blinked a few times. I tried to sit up, but jeez, it was extremely painful to do so. My back felt like it was on fire, and my ears were ringing in disorientation whilst my vision blurred concurrently.

I moved my eyes around to view my unfamiliar surroundings, since that was the only part of my body that I could move painlessly. I was lying on a bed twice my size, surrounded by a sea of extremely strange and complicated-looking machines in an eerily sterile, white environment.

Didn’t they have a word for this place?

Right. Hospital ward.

But why was I here again?

I pursed my lips and racked my clouded brain to solve this mystery.

Wait… it’s not because of…

 

“ You really are a fool, Sebastian Lee.”

“No one will ever like you.”

 

Naeun-ah…

 

Ah jinja! I shut my eyes and tried not to let the tears flow. I guess the old saying about how a person’s most powerful weapon is their words, which in this case, struck harder because of how personal it was.

Was it really worth it? Was being friends with Naeun worth the alienation from my peers, and jealously that manifested itself into physical bullying? Was it worth being in hospital every other week, let alone every week? I didn’t think I could handle any more beatings of recent sort, especially considering it would ramp up from now if I continued defying them.

Now the real pain, both emotional and physical was starting to kick in. And what really hurt me was the fact that I was going to try and avoid contact with Naeun simply because I was afraid of being physically bullied. I could not help but think over the possibility that she had thought that something was wrong on her side, and that I didn’t value her friendship for some reason, which made me all the more sadder and angrier at myself.

Above all other feelings though, it was guilt that pushed through to my thoughts.

You coward Sebastian.

I furiously banged my head against a pillow. “ What’s wrong with you Seb? Get your straight, and your priorities for that matter.”

I can’t. No more.

The door to the ward swung open, and a serious, grey haired man walked in, flanked by two nurses.

“ Ah Mr. Lee, you are awake now. My name is Dr. Seo, and I’m responsible for taking care of you here in hospital. Allow me to perform a few tests on you, namely to check…” he proceeded to blabber off a number of scientific names and explanations that I could probably never spell. So I just nodded my head in blind agreement.

“ Ye, sure.”

After a few minutes or so, the doctor looked back up at me.

“ Mr Lee, you are a very lucky man. After such a tumultuous incident, there are no pressing problems or injuries to note, however I have both good and bad news.” He added the last statement after seeing my relieved expression at the first one, almost in a way that reminded me of evil elves that wanted to ruin Christmas and get rid of all joy.

I still couldn’t believe I was thinking about absolutely absurd comparisons at such a time.

“ Which would you like to hear first?” I gave a thumbs up, hopefully trying to indicate the favourable news. Hopefully.

“ Mr. Lee, the good news is that you will not require any major surgery on any part of your body. You do not have to lose a limb or anything of that sort.”

Phew. After such a beating and humiliation, it really was a miracle that I wasn’t so shaken up or hurt bad.

The doctor continued. “However, Mr. Lee, the bad news is that both your back and right leg are in such a condition that you are in no state to continue strenuous activities for an extended period of time. In fact, you may not be able to attend school for a while.”

That meant missing valuable and important lectures, and late coursework submissions. This situation was really getting worse by the moment. What if I got kicked out of school because of my failure to hand up assignments? What would I do? Would I have to work in a fast food chain for the rest in my life? My parents would certainly disown me further…

“ I shall write a Medical Certificate excusing you from 3 months of physically strenuous activities and 3 weeks of school. That should be more than enough time to rest and recuperate at home. Please do not engage in activities that may aggravate your injuries. Ok?”

“ Ye, I understand, Kamsahamnida.” I nodded slightly. “ Sillyehajiman, when can I go home?”

The doctor didn’t look up this time as he continued to write down notes on his case file. “ As soon as I finish up the paperwork and the necessary payment for the ward and check-up.”

I sat back and muttered more thanks, before almost injuring my back further by sitting up sharply in shock.

! How was I supposed to pay my hospital fees? I was a poor transfer student on a limited budget. I wasn’t even a scholar.

As if reading my mind, which I had come to conclusions by this time that Koreans were extremely proficient in, the doc spoke up before leaving the room. “ May I also say you are very lucky to have well-off friends, Mr. Lee. This ward is one of the most expensive and advanced in the whole hospital. He seemed so worried about you , and I bet he is very anxious to see you.” With that, he exited and immediately a figure rushed into the room, ending up by my bedside.

“D.O! Thanks for coming to see me here.” I exclaimed happily as my good friend gave me a fist bump.

 “ How are you Sebastian? You were half-dead when I found you in the alleyway where you were lying. Did you get mugged? Assaulted? Worse?” D.O looked at me, looking a lot like the concerned person I knew.

“ I’m fine man, though I don’t feel like talking about what happened. It’s still a bit traumatizing.” I paused for a second before looking incredulously at him, putting the doctor’s last words and my money problem together. “ Did you pay for all my hospital bills?!”

He gave a smile. “ You looked like you needed it. And plus, you helped me before when I was in need, and became a much needed friend. This was the least I could do.”

I wasn’t about to start arguing with a famous idol about how helping pick up worksheets from the floor was nothing compared to helping pay a large sum of money, probably in the millions of won. So I just let it go, and instead told him my predicament about my injuries.

“ Yeah, I know, the doctor told me first about it. It , I won’t see you in school for 3 weeks. I bet Naeun is gutted too that she can’t talk to you in person. She seems really close to you.”

At the mention of her-

 Hold up Seb. You’re not even going to mention her name now? Really?

Sigh. Fine, let me try again.

At the mention of Naeun’s name, I ever so slightly turned away. It still struck me that my thoughts of that I had ‘no choice” to stop being friends with her, or risk getting bullied again, was possibly the most selfish thing I had ever fathomed.

I quickly changed the topic to prevent any more of such thoughts. “ I know right, it totally . Oh well, we can still hang out on weekends, if your schedule isn’t too packed, since you’re wrapping up “Overdose” promotions right?”

D.O perked up at that. “ Yeah sure, of course! I would like that.”

I smiled. “ Cool. And oh, and by the way, do I have any more visitors here? Haha, wait, why am I even asking-”

D.O interrupted me, which struck me instantaneously as unbecoming of an idol, since they had to be very polite and well-mannered at all times. “ Actually, Naeun is waiting outside. She has been waiting almost the whole time you have been here.”

Damn. This avoiding thing was going to be hard. And let me say first, I did feel flattered in some way that she had taken time out of her schedule to come all this way and see me in hospital.

“ Can you tell the nurse I don’t want any more visitors, I’m really tired and need to rest before being discharged.” I asked D.O, who looked a bit surprised at this.

“ But Seb, I thought you wanted to see your visi-”

“ Mianhae, but I just don’t feel like talking to anyone anymore, my whole body aches as well. I’ll see you soon, yeah?”

He looked as if he was about to say something in argument, but sighed and merely clasped my hand and tapped me on the shoulder in a caring way. However, just as he opened the door, he looked back at me.

“ Huh Seb, but Naeun isn’t just ‘anyone’ to you, is she?” He smiled obliviously, and walked out of the room, leaving me alone in the scaryish white room. I turned over and tried not to cry, instead pretending to sleep.

 

I’m sorry Naeun.

I’m so sorry.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys!  Short chap today!

This is just a quick update to reveal some of Seb’s thoughts and what happened to him. It seems that D.O is really a good friend to him yeah?

But what is Naeun going through? Find out next chap, it’s gonna be her POV next chapter, so please look forward to that!

I hope you are enjoying my story, and I also hope that you will continue to support it as it progresses and develops.

Remember to vote/follow me if you haven’t already done so, and you are enjoying what you are reading! Thanks a bunch.

Until next time, guys! ( Which will probably be next week.)

 

Peace out! Kamsahamnida!

-Elliot