jr/yein/suzy | hi, you're a pain in the

let's soar {airplane au fluff drabble series}

 

“Can’t we just ask the people near Yugyeom and Yerin if they want to switch –”

Jinyoung shakes his head and shushes her. “We have to give them some space,” he tells Yein, giving her a wink. “We were obnoxious enough in the car on the way to the airport.” The corners of his eyes wrinkle slightly upon recalling what had happened earlier. He and his little sister are the perfect partners-in-crime when it comes to playful teasing.

Yein pouts. “Okay, fine.” She totally has a girl crush on Yerin, he chuckles to himself.

He only thinks it’s right to let her pick which seat she wants, and soon after he’s sitting down fiddling around on his phone before he’s forced to put it on airplane mode.

“Hey.” He feels Yein’s head lean on his shoulder.

“What?” he mumbles.

She peers at his screen. “I knew it,” she grins. “You would be texting Suji at this time.”

He feels blood rushing up into his ears (but he should be used to this by now). “Well, yeah –”

“You two are cute,” she declares, cutting him off. “Carry on,” she says with a matter-of-fact tone before returning to her own game of Candy Crush. Ugh, who even plays that still? Jinyoung rolls his eyes but is thankful that she’s now preoccupied.

His phone vibrates and Jinyoung answers the call, his heart skipping a beat too many. “Hello? Suji?”

“Hi,” a voice resounds from the other end, and there’s that warm fluttery feeling in his gut again.

“What’s up?”

“Just wanted to hear your voice before you take off to Hong Kong without me,” Suji teases, and from the corner of his eye, he can see that the way he laughs quietly to himself has once again seized the attention of his sister, who is looking at him with a knowing smile. Sisters.

“Stay safe, okay? Don’t stay out too late by yourself and drink a lot of water and get enough sleep –”

Suji laughs. “Yeah, yeah, I got it. Same goes for you, okay? Since now I can’t protect you anymore.”

He forces out a sarcastic laugh. “You’re funny.”

“I know. Is that why you fell in love with me?” Suji is definitely on a roll here but at this rate he’s got to hang up before he runs out of the plane to be with her instead of visiting Jackson with his friends and sister.

“Well, if you really wanted an answer…” He pauses. “I’ll call you after we’re in Hong Kong, okay? I gotta go now.”

“Okay, bye. Love you.” They hang up.

Yein’s eyes brighten up. “So, when’s the wedding?” She nudges him slightly, trying to hold back her laughter.

“Whatever,” Jinyoung shrugs, chucking a bag of chips at her to stop her teasing. He really doesn’t understand why she’s so quiet around most people but is nothing less than an annoying pain in the when she’s around him. (She coolly reminds him that he’s kind of the same way, so they just agree that they are both pains in the but they are pains in the that love each other dearly and are stuck together for life, so what’s the point of complaining?)

(The plane lands in Hong Kong and he switches on his phone. “Suji?”

“Yeah,” she answers, breathless, like she had been waiting for this call all along.

“Yes, I do love you because you can make me laugh, but I also love you because you can make me cry, whether it’s tears of joy because I can’t imagine how life could get any better when I’m with you, or tears of pain because I can’t bear to see you hurt. You make me feel the entire spectrum of emotions, but love encompasses them all.” It comes out as a flurry of words, said a little too fast but genuine just the same.

He can imagine her blushing at his sudden confession. “Aw, that’s so sweet. Thank you,” she says warmly, and he can practically hear her smiling.

After an awkward exchange of I love yous, Suji asks bluntly, “Did you come up with that by yourself?”

A timid chuckle. “Well, I drafted it myself and Yein just screened it for approval. It was all me though,” he assures her.

“I can vouch for that,” Yein says loudly so that Suji can hear. “He was an adorable mess this entire plane ride trying to piece together what he wanted to say.” She giggles.

“You two are the cutest,” Suji lets out a sigh of approval. “Well, you two better have fun traveling. Tell the rest of them I say hi.”

And when the call ends, Jinyoung messes up Yein’s hair and admits, “Yeah, we are pretty cute, don’t you think, sis?”

The way she bear hugs him and almost suffocates him with her arms tells him that she very much agrees.)