jb/hyejeong | of pick-up lines and criss-crossing oceans

let's soar {airplane au fluff drabble series}

 

 

 

It’s another day in the life of Shin Hyejeong – hair up, lip gloss slightly smudged, smile plastered to her face because that’s her job: to be pleasant and helpful to the tired and sometimes cranky travelers on the way to somewhere special while she floats in the skies to nowhere in particular. But it’s the life she’s chosen because back in the day she had that strange urge to see nothing and everything in the world, and besides, she didn’t look too bad in a flight attendant uniform, she must admit.

She’s strolling through the aisle while adjusting her name badge and pushing the cart of refreshments through the business class section. “Good afternoon, sir,” she says, trying to get the attention of a young man dressed in a suit and tie. Headphones snugly hugging his ears, he’s way too engrossed in his music to notice.

Hyejeong bites her lip and taps him on the shoulder. He looks up, then, and he looks younger than expected – around her age. “Would you like anything to drink?” she gestures to the refreshment cart, momentarily blinded by the small smile that spreads across his face.

“Just Coke is fine,” he answers, and there’s something about the way he looks at her, mischief dancing in his eyes.

Carefully pouring his drink on the side, she gives him an amused look. “What?”

“You’re so beautiful, I forgot my pick-up line.” The greasy grin that comes after is enough to make her cringe. Are you serious?

Her eyes keep smiling, however, as she leans over to graciously hand him his cup, she mutters, “I count myself lucky that you forgot your pick-up line.”

She rolls her eyes when he retorts, “But I guess I won’t ever forget you because you are simply unforgettable.” His gaze lands on her nameplate. “Hyejeong. Cool, nice to meet you, I’m Jaebum.”

She guesses that it’s okay to let down her professional façade just this once and allows herself to smile at the nerve of this guy she doesn’t even know. Who, by the way, is a bit too handsome for his own good. “I never asked you for your name, but okay. Have a nice flight, Jaebum!”

She decides to end it at that, or else no one’s going to get their beverages and the idea of a lawsuit doesn’t sound too appealing right now.

“Wait!”

She sighs and turns around. “Yes?”

“I dropped something. Could you pick it up for me?” There’s an apologetic look on his face.

She swallows her annoyance. “Sure, what is it?”

The upper corner of his lips twitches. “My jaw.”

Hyejeong inwardly groans.

He looks like an immature teenage boy now, unable to hold back his laughter. He is obviously amused with himself. Who laughs at their own jokes or pick-up lines? “Get it? Because you’re jaw-dropping.”

She shakes her head at him but hopes he can’t see the blush creeping onto her cheeks.

Oh dear, this is sure gonna be a long flight… she thinks to herself.

(Sure enough, the next time she’s walking down the aisle, his eyes light up and there’s that cheeky smile once again and she can’t help herself but ask where he’s from originally. Seoul, he says, and he’s overly excited when she replies that she’s from Seoul too.

He slips her a napkin with his number scrawled on it.

“I don’t give out my number to just anyone,” he teases, telling her to keep it safe.

“As if,” she mutters under her breath, but it doesn’t stop her from hurrying to the attendant cabin area to save his number in her phone. There’s something special about this Jaebum guy, with his cheesy jokes and unkempt tie and boyish features. Because maybe somewhere between criss-crossing oceans and helping people with their luggage, she ironically gets her first feeling of truly flying – not from the countless plane take-offs and landings – but from the butterflies threatening to take flight in her stomach and land in her fluttering heart.)