Act 5: Ground Rule

Hit the Mark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

(You might want to refer to the second last paragraph on chapter 3 for more understanding? Idk.)

 

 

 

Ricky absent mindedly twist a strand of his unruly blue hair around a finger and tugs it over his eyes, as far as an outgrown crop cut could go, to inspect for split ends. He has worn that vibrant hue of blue mint for half a month now and the colour is already fading into a messy mix of sky blue, milky cream and black roots growing on the crown of his head. It is quite sad to see it go when he did kind of grew into that particular colour – Yongguk even ruffles Ricky’s hair with his signature gummy smile and playful affection when he had seen that blue hair for the first time, ‘glad to see some colours in here,’ he had said that and Ricky, all too eager to please, had beamed back with pride.

 

A small smile pricks at the edge of his dried lips and Ricky wets it with a swipe of tongue, his hair is still as tacky as ever but it definitely need another dye job in these near time.

 

“Don’t even think about it.” A voice stops Ricky  – Kai’s. The plan formulated in his head to sneak into the office and smuggle a few more boxes of hair dye from Chaerin’s secret stash freezes midway. Kai plops down next to Ricky and closes his eyes, his head lulling over his shoulder and his tanned skin still glisten with beads of water. He must have just woke up and showered, Ricky thought and shook his head, always ever so late. He peels the orange jacket off subconsciously – his jumpsuit is a two piece, a newer design, they had said, but the dust collecting on the fabric when Ricky received them spoke otherwise.

 

“What is?” Ricky inquires while puffing his jacket into a pillow and Kai laid down on top of it in instinct without squinting open his eyes.

 

He and Ricky always had a good coordination, credit to being one of the youngest in their circle of friends. Although both of them isn’t exactly the closest in the circle – they talked, planned a few pranks together, have their own tandem once in a while and so over the awkward phase but the younger man is more emotionally attached to Niel, absolutely worship the latter. It is understandable since Niel stands out with his obnoxious chatters and the fullness of his lips, a point of snide remarks by a handful of illiterate muscle-head. Niel is surprisingly strong, in sense of preservation and diligence, and he makes Ricky feels needed whenever Niel was suddenly too deep into his social anxiety.

 

Kai shifts subtly. The bleachers are still chilly and a bit uncomfortable, it is still a little later to eight after all, but Kai isn’t really picky when he is sleepy. “Don’t even think about dyeing your hair another crazy colour. Sehun’s probation is extended for another three weeks for throwing that god damn chair to Miss Park.”

 

Upon the mention of Sehun, Ricky chortles out a laughter. That guy is a cute puppy and ten devils rolled into one human body. Sehun is always amazing in putting his pranks into action and wriggling his way out of it. The last time he did one of his practical jokes was on a particularly rude senior who was throwing homophobic slurs at Ricky because of his blue hair – the said senior woke up in a locked locker and half of his head is shaved horribly. The management knew it was Sehun, was sure of it, but they had no ways of proving themselves so Sehun is put under probation and Sehun always hated his probation, that metal bracelet they forced him to wear causing inflammation around his wrist.

 

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth – Ricky steers him out of trouble these days and does his cleaning duty whenever he forgot to do so.

 

The loud crackle of static suddenly echoes through the field, cutting their conversation short and Ricky stood up. It is a little lower than twelve degree out here and the morning air bites ruefully into his skin as he pats the dirt off his clothes.

 

“Go to sleep.” He said to Kai before jogging toward the crowds slowly gathering at the square.

 

He gets into what supposed to be his class’ line, jumping on a bored Hanbin with his hands jammed into the jumpsuit’s pocket. Ricky slings his hand over Hanbin’s shoulder and laughs when the latter snaps his head sideways and glares at Ricky, his spectacles slid down the bridge of his nose from the sudden initial impact of Ricky’s weight. Both of them, Ricky and Hanbin, sticks out like a sore thumb – Niel once said so after he stops losing both of them during lunch – with their respective blue and red hair and contrasting appearance; Ricky is all bright sparks and loud voice while Hanbin is cold and cynical when observed from a distant.

 

After a long tedious speech from Bushy, an official nickname for the Head of this facility, they did their typical morning routine, lazily swinging their arms and legs into an unsynchronized, feeble and pitiful attempt of marching. They scales up and down the asphalt until they’re covered with dirt and sweat and their feet are sore from all the stomping. Ricky did two rounds instead, another one for Kai, since the commander accepts Ricky’s excuse that Kai is out with a cold with little to no mercy towards Ricky.

 

But, it’s nothing big, they took care of each other all

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter