Act 1: Two-faced Damsel

Hit the Mark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

No one was more desperate to be better than Dara. No one.

 

Sandara Park is greedy. She already knew that and approved of the fact since she was 9 years old, standing at the back of the stage in her costume of tree barks and plastic leaves.

 

A flopped play of ‘Alice in Wonderland’ had more impact on her than just itchy skin that won’t go away for weeks – it ignites her. Suddenly she had a purpose, an image, on how and where she would end up when she is thirty and blooming and just the right age for everything. The idea fills her up to her head and she like how it made her stronger, fiercer than her introvert self.

 

Her only mistake was she felt deserving.

 

Being under the bright spotlight and the focus of million’s pair of eye, she felt she deserved that.

 

 

 

 

 

“Not this. Not this one too and totally, not this.” Dara crudely tossed away third quarter of 17th century dresses from her personal rack, her face scrunched in disgust. A bundle of the rejected dresses piled in the arm of her manager and pooled on the floor. “Who make this costume? There’s not even a single embroidery. And all the colours are pastel.” Dara grudgingly added another piece into the pile. “This is so stupid.”

 

“You can’t—“

 

Dara’s hand immediately flew up and stopped Bom’s words midsentence. A sign of disapproval knitted on her brows as she spun her heels around, entreating back to the lounge area with loud clicks of tongue. It was her easy way to express her annoyance to Bom. The latter however have learnt from past occurrences, when something is not to Dara’s liking you just don’t argue, you simply abide to it. Bom had been bathe into in many liquids; hot tea, plain water, juice and vitamin drinks, all because she simply tried to reason things out with the stuck up actress.

 

Nothing was particularly different that day. Bom tucked away the dresses neatly in another rack before mentioning the problem with one of the crew as pleasantly as possible. If there’s anything she had picked up from this horrible job is patience, hell, she could even be Mother Theresa of patience. Dara, however, is the Judas. She would flinched and shrieked to almost everything, losing her handle on the tiniest detail and immediately got cut off from the cast list. This one job was the only one she ever landed for the whole season.

 

That shows how bad her reputation is in the circle of producers and directors of theatrics play.

 

The world of theatre is rather small, where one knows the other. As when bad words starts to circles around regarding Dara’s snobbish act and the events that stamped approval on the statement, her name was blacklisted everywhere. She was once the Hot Rookie of the Year with her success from her debut play directed by Jones Kim, ‘The Nightingale’s Full Moon’, but the heat of it got cooled off almost instantly when the news of her snobbish attitude is caught in the wildfire instead. Her talent forgotten.

 

“Bommie,”Dara chimes from the lounge almost in a sing-song, her face swelled in obvious glee. A complete 360 turn on her foul mood earlier. “Could you get me some more coffee before the script-reading starts?”

 

Bom simply replies with a nod and, subtly, a roll of her eyes.

 

Dara did caught the sign of B

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter