003

Luhan, My Manager

SHIN MI YEON

 

“Cut! Okay good job!” Director Kim shouts before dismissing everyone. He walks over to us, the actors and actresses. “You’ve worked hard! Rest well, and I’ll see you guys in four days.”

We bow at him and thank him. Luhan walks over to pass me a bottle of water and I give him a nod. I still haven’t forgotten what he said and I don’t think I ever will. I act like I don’t care about it anymore but every night it still comes up in my mind. I really have no idea as to why it is affecting me so much.

After thanking and saying goodbye to everyone, we leave the shooting venue for the annual party. I’m really dreading it because of Kim Mae Ra, that ugly witch. I like to imagine her with bucktooth, moles and frizzy hair. I think I might be mentally unstable, or my hatred for her is just too big.

After being fussed around for what seems like eternity, I step into the party and the spotlight is on me. People starts whispering about me, and everyone looks at me in awe. I smile at them and start greeting people. Many come to me to compliment me and I thank them happily. I really like compliments but then again, who doesn’t?

“Mi Yeon, my goddess,” Chairman Im beams as he gives me a swift hug. He’s so fatherly and I feel like he’s a non-blood related father to me.

“Why did you book the same appointment for me and her?” I pout, resisting the urge to stomp my feet. He sighs and looks at me wearily.

“Why did you have to fight her then?” He asks and I groan, causing him to chuckle. “There wasn't enough rooms so I had to. The other slots are taken as well. Now, now, forget about it. It's over. Just go have fun.”

“Okay, see you later.”

I walk off and try to find Luhan. He is talking to some guy and I walk over.

“I’ll be in the ladies’,” I inform and he nods before continuing his conversation. I walk into the ladies’ to see my greatest enemy. Damn. She shoots me a glare before continuing with her touch up of makeup.

“Wow, looks like someone decided to look bloody today.” I’M GONNA KILL THIS .

“Wow, looks like someone decided to look ugly today. Oh wait, oops, you’re always ugly.”

“You are the ugly one, ,” She sneers. I roll my eyes at her.

“By the way, Lu manager chose this colour, I think it’s pretty good. Is that what your manager chose?”

“No, I actually have a real designer to help with these little details but maybe I should try to recruit your manager to put him out of his misery? He seems too good to be working for someone like you. How does he stand it? I’m sure he’s suffering but he’s too nice to say it.”

Wow, that’s low even for someone like her. There’s one thing I hate and that is people saying I’m not good enough. It’s not like I don’t already know. I don’t care if people tell me that I’m ugly or dumb but not good enough? No, just no.

“Just shut the hell up, I don’t even want to talk to you,” I snap before walking out of the ladies’. I easily find Luhan in the crowd and I walk over to him.

He turns to me. “You just came out of the ladies’?”

“Yup. I want to leave now.”

“You can’t, just wait for another hour or so,” He says before pulling me back to the table. I roll my eyes and walk away. After taking a glass of white wine from a waiter passing by, I decide to just sit at the table because I am so bored. Someone taps my shoulder and I turn around to see Kim Joon Myun or Suho. He’s a very handsome friend of mine but sadly, we aren’t very close due to our busy schedules.

He grins at me before taking the seat beside me. “Mi Yeon-ssi, how are you? It’s been so long.”

"Suho-ssi!” I smile back. “I’m okay. You?”

“Good, but better now that I see you,” He winks. I chuckle at his flirty act. “What time are you leaving?”

“I want to leave now but Lu manager says that I can’t,” I frown. He raises an eyebrow.

“How about I bring you home? Just tell me your address.”

My face lights up. “Really?” He nods and I walk over to Luhan to tell him that Suho will bring me home so he can go straight home after the party.

“No.”

“Why not?”

“What if he tries to do something to you? Don’t you think he has a hidden agenda, seeing as how he jumps up at the thought of sending you home?”

I scoff and glare at him. “You’re ridiculous. I’m leaving and that’s final.”

 

“It’s here?” Suho asks while eyeing the beautiful white building. “Wow.”

“Yeah, here. Thank you so much,” I smile at him gratefully. “I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

I am about to exit the car when my phone rings. I look at who the caller is. Chairman Im.

“Mi Yeon-ah, why did you leave without telling me?” He asks, clearly upset. I sigh.

“Sorry, I wasn’t feeling well that’s why. I’ll make it up to you soon.”

“Are you sick? What’s wrong?” See what I said about fatherly? He’s way more caring than my parents will ever be.

“Just a little light-headed. I just reached home so don’t worry about me. See you soon.” He replies with an ok and I hang up. I turn to Suho to thank him again before going into the building.

Entering my lonely apartment, the longing for grandma and Se Yeon grows stronger and stronger. I toss my clutch onto the dining table. Finding a shotglass, I take a few bottles of soju and set it on the coffee table while plopping onto the couch, sighing heavily.

“Don’t you know you’re the daughter of a rich, reputable man? Going around doing things to disgrace your parents, shame on you, and shame on me for having such a daughter. You aren’t fit to be my daughter at all. Spending money on a decade of your education is like burning it. What a waste.”

Remembering that opens the old stitched scars in my heart that are probably never stitched. I continue to drown my sorrows with alcohol and tears. I remember all the times that I’ve been told that I’m not good enough and how I should know my place and leave. It still hurts and I don’t think it’ll ever stop hurting me.

I don’t even know when I drifted off to sleep but the last thing I see before closing my eyes is Luhan’s face. Is that real or am I hallucinating?

 


 

“Good afternoon, Mi Yeon-ssi!” The receptionist, Ji Min, chirps and I groan in pain. She just had to choose today to be so chirpy.

“Shhh,” I whisper and put my index finger against my lips before rubbing my throbbing temple. I adjust my sunglasses and cap before wobbling into the Chairman’s office. Why is this cursed room so bright? It feels like it’s done on purpose because it wasn’t this bright before.

The chairman decides to be cheery today as well, booming a good morning in my face out of nowhere causing me to scream and fall back. The strange thing is that it isn’t painful and there’s no impact at all but the fall did cause my headache to multiply by ten times and I feel like dying. After a while I realise that someone is holding me. I quickly get up and turn to see Suho. Luhan is beside, sulking. That PMS jerk.

“Thank you so much,” I whisper, smiling slightly at my rescuer. He chuckles and nods. I turn to Chairman Im. “Damn you.”

“Hey, how would I know you’re so easily shocked?” He laughs, not even feeling the slightest bit apologetic. Darn old guy. I plop myself onto the couch.

“What do you want so early in the morning?” I snap. He chuckles and passes me some paper. I scan through the paper and realise it’s a new drama asking for me to be the lead actress. I pull my sunglasses down slightly to show my swollen eyes and narrow my eyes at him. “I haven’t even started on the new drama I signed on.”

He smiles at me apologetically. “This will be after that. It’ll be busy but you’ll earn a lot of money. They offered a huge sum for you because they think you are most suited for the role.”

I take a pen next to me and sign it immediately. If I earn a huge sum of money I can get a newer and nicer house for grandma and Se Yeon. Not that I don’t have the money now, it’s just that grandma doesn’t want me to go broke buying new things. Now I have the excuse to buy all of those since I have a huge sum of money that is just sitting in my bank.

"So, Mi Yeon-ah," Chairman calls. I turn to him after signing the paper. "I'm sure you already know him but this is Suho, your male lead for this new drama."

I look at Suho in shock. He gives me a charming grin, causing me to grin myself. "So, ready for the kiss scenes?"

He chuckles, "Bring it on."

Chairman then shoos me out of the room, saying he has something to ask Suho.

I stand up, turn around and wobble out, my throbbing headache still not easing. I just step out when Luhan grab my wrist, spinning me around. I almost fall due to losing my balance but he stabilises me.

“Don’t repeat what you did last night,” He warns me.

“What are you talking about Lu manager? And don’t talk so loudly will you?” I whisper harshly. He rolls his eyes at me and pulls me closer to him.

“You know what I mean,” He snaps. “I won’t tell Chairman about it but don’t do it again.”

 

SUHO

The chairman turns to me as I take a seat. "You were the one who suggested her for the role, right?"

"H-How did you know?"

"I'm close to the director, of course," He chuckles. "You like her don't you?"

I scratch the back of my neck in embarrassment, not sure to agree or deny. He just laughs and shakes his head.

"Just don't do anything that will harm her career or this agency, can you do that for me?"

I nod firmly. "I won't."

 


 

“Hello?” I speak into the phone. “Who is this?”

“It’s Mi Yeon.”

“Oh hi! Sorry I didn’t check the caller ID.” My heart beats faster at hearing her voice. I am secretly really happy that she calls me on her own accord.

“I just want to thank you for suggesting me for this role."

Damn chairman. His mouth is like an open hole.

“Oh that’s nothing. I just thought it'd be nice to work on a project together," I smile.

“Let me treat you to a meal at least, Suho-ssi.”

“Sure, tonight then? I’ll pick you up at your office at 7pm!”

We hang up and I decide to go home to shower and change before going to pick her up because I am too excited to work and I want to smell nice and fresh for her as well. Time can’t seem to pass slower while waiting for 7pm.

 

“Hi,” I smile when I walk into the room Mi Yeon is in. My mouth opens slightly at the sight of her. How can a human being be so beautiful? She’s only wearing a simple black dress but she looks stunning already. The black dress compliments her milky skin nicely. So gorgeous, indeed. I bow slightly to Luhan. Mi Yeon smiles back and stands up.

“Hey, I’m ready.”

We are about to leave when Luhan speaks up. “Her curfew is ten.”

Mi Yeon turns back and glares at him. “I do not have a curfew.”

“You do. And no alcohol. Bye, I’ll see you at your house at ten,” He waves and Mi Yeon huffs while stomping out of the room. I chuckle at her childish yet adorable behaviour before following after her.

After being buckled up in the car, I turn to her. “Where do you want to eat at?”

She thinks for a while before answering. “Hm, shall we go eat my favourite food?”

“Sure!”

After following the directions she gives me, we arrive at a pojangmacha (a tented restaurant selling street food). I look at her in surprise and she catches my look.

“What?”

“I never thought you would eat here,” I tell her honestly. She rolls her eyes at me and get out of the car.

“Looks like you don’t know much about me, chingu. Let's drop the formalities okay?”

I mentally kick myself for saying that because after being friends for two years, I really do not know much about her. I’ve been busy and we rarely talk and hangout.

“Sure. Sorry,” I say, making her chuckle and she reach out to pull my hand, dragging me into the tent. It shocks me and I feel my heart beats faster and faster at just a simple touch. Once we are seated, she orders for both of us some ramyeon and ddeokbokki. I notice that people are starting to come in so without telling her, I go to my car, take a cap that I somehow always have and walk back. She looks at me with confused eyes until I place the cap onto her head.

“Thanks,” She says as she flashes me a quick grateful smile. The smile is just about enough to make me melt. I shake my head and we dig in. “Do you want some soju?”

“No, I don’t think your manager will appreciate me letting you drink. He seems very protective.”

She rolls her eyes. “I don’t really care if he appreciates it or not.”

“Did you guys have a fight?”

“No." I raise an eyebrow teasingly. "Maybe."

I chuckle. “Something is telling me that it is a yes.”

“Whatever.”

We eat while chatting about everything and anything. It is so carefree being with her. That’s what I really like about this beautiful girl in front of me and I find myself looking at her beautifully-shaped pink lips. Without a second thought, I lean forward.

 

Hi guys! Thank you for subscribing and upvoting <3 I am so touched especially because this is a new story and there are already 34 subscribers and 3 upvotes (excuse me while I cry happy tears ;v;) so I just want to thank you guys!!! I really hope you will like this story ^ - ^ I won't force you guys but I hope you will continue to leave comments (maybe about whether you like or dislike the chapter... or how I can improve on the story) :>