002

Luhan, My Manager

SHIN MI YEON

 

I am on soft and fluffy clouds. I’m so happy and excited. Since when did I learn to float? Oh my goodness, what if I fall? Seeing the clouds above me, I forget my fear and I lift my hands up to touch the clouds but it’s just vapour, wetting my hand as soon as I touch it. Bummer. I happily roll around on the clouds until I fall off them.

“AHHHHHHHH.”

My eyes are still closely shut when I hear laughter. I think I must be dead, the laughter must be from some angels laughing at me. Damn, are angels supposed to be rude? This is no way to treat the dead. Maybe I should haunt them and ----

“Get up already, clumsy,” Says a manly voice, distracting me from my thoughts. The voice truly belongs to an angel. A y angel. Angels are y? Regardless, I think I’m really dead. What will happen to my grandmother if I’m dead? What will happen to my little sister? Who’s going to support them? Noooooooo. “What are you doing still lying on the floor?”

Floor? Lying on the floor? I crack one eye open and realise I’m still in my room.

“I’m not dead!” I exclaimed with a fist pump into the air. The guy just snorts and I turn and narrow my eyes at … Luhan. Damn, he’s the ‘angel’. To be honest, his voice is really angelic and I’m not sure how I’ve never noticed it before.

“Hurry and get ready, Ella’s coming in half an hour.”

I rush into the toilet. Looking in the mirror, I realise that I’m wearing a translucent night gown and I’m not wearing any bra. My cheeks become flushed knowing that Luhan saw this. Abandoning all thoughts, I quickly strip down to my birthday suit and take a much needed shower.

 

I stare at the dress Ella made. It is freaking gorgeous.

“Go try it on!”

I slip into the dress and admire it in the mirror. It clings onto my body tightly, hugging my curves and flat stomach. It shows off my back due to the low V scoop that stops at my tail bone. The round neck line is high, resting on my collar bones. The dress is pretty short though, stopping slightly above my mid-thighs. It is classy, not trashy and I really like it. It isn’t sleeveless either, so I won’t be cold and there’s no need to bring a blazer. The material is smooth and comfortable as well.

“Come out, girl,” Ella calls. I step out of the bathroom to see her and Luhan with wide eyes and opened mouths.  “Wow, you’re gorgeous.”

“How do I look, Lu manager?” I ask as I turn to him. He just nods his head. I roll my eyes at his unenthusiastic response and turn to Ella. “Thanks for this Ella, it’s perfect!”

I run to her and give her a tight hug before letting go. She tells me she has to go but she’ll be back tomorrow to help me style my entire outfit. I tell her it’s okay because I have a coordinator but she insists on coming.

 


 

“Mi Yeon-ssi, I’m so glad that you agreed to act in this drama. I’m sure the drama will turn out very well with your amazing acting skills,” Director Kim beams as he shakes my hand. I bow, thank him and head off to the next venue – Spa Centre. I grin at Luhan like a child being handed a candy when I see the building that I love to visit whenever I am free. I am being treated by Chairman Im with the best spa package to get me looking flawless for tomorrow’s party. I agree that he’s really the best ----

or not.

I see Kim Mae Ra entering the spa centre and I groan inwardly. Cursed Chairman, booking the same timeslot for us, but sorry your plan for harmony to bloom between us is a failure.

“Well, well, who do we have here?” Mae Ra announces dramatically as she plops herself down onto the couch opposite me. “Shin Mi Yeon, I see.”

“Wow, I didn’t know dogs are allowed in here,” I say, pretending to look confuse. I look around to find the restriction signs. She scoffs and I know she’s mad.

“I could say the same for you as well, dog,” She sneers. I roll my eyes.

“Nice comeback,” I say and added, “Not.”

I can practically see the fire in her dull eyes. She mutters something under her breath and I’m curious to know what it is but I won’t ever ask her. It’s definitely something bad about me, that much I know. Luhan walks out then, groaning when he sees us together. Luhan, I totally understand how you feel, trust me.

There aren't enough rooms as the spa centre is currently packed with customers so we have to share a room. What the freaking hell. There’s no way I will share a room with her.

“No,” I refuse straight out.

“I don’t want to either, .”

I glare at her.

“? You’re the ,” I sneer. “I bet you’re just embarrassed to be in the same room with someone better than you.”

“Better? Please, I’m better than you,” She spits and crosses her arms. I glare at her and Luhan steps into my view while Mae Ra’s manager steps into hers. They pull us far apart and send us in one by one. Damn.

Before closing the door, Luhan walk towards me. “Be nice.”

Psh.

 

The massage and spa is so good I just want to stay here forever but there’s only one thing that’s keeping it from perfection – Kim Mae Ra. She’s so annoying, squirming and squealing at every touch, preventing me from my mental relaxation. I am so damn close to squishing her face with a pillow. Suffocate , suffocate!

“It’s so itchy,” Mae Ra giggles. I roll my eyes at her. I can hear a very quiet sigh from one of the staffs, so quiet I almost missed it. She must be trying to bear with it as well. “Oh my goodness, can you try not to touch my waist?”

“Will you just shut up, you noise polluter!” I turn my head and scream at her.

“Is there a rule that says I can’t make noises in here?” She says, haughtily. I am imagining myself punching her face repeatedly. It brings some sort of unhealthy satisfaction seeing her scurry away from me in my mind, bruised and battered.

“Gosh, one more time I’m going to shut you up myself,” I growl at her. She scoffs at my threat, not thinking much about it. She squeals dramatically again and I jump up. I lunge at her and she screams.

“Shut the up !” I scream. “I’ve had enough!”

We continue to claw and scream at each other until the door slams open all of a sudden. We pause in shock before realising that we are practically . We only have our on and our tops are bare. This time, both of us scream in unison. We quickly let go of each other and I cover my top with my hands. I turn to look at the intruder and it is Luhan and her manager.

He quickly averts his gaze before grabbing a towel beside him. He walks over to me and wraps my top with the towel before dragging me out. I’m dead. I’m in so much trouble. His face is so black I just want to bleach it right now. He quickly apologizes to the staffs and to Mae Ra and her manager. I can hear the same thing from her manager. At least her manager is much more mannered than she will ever be.

“Lu manager…” I call.

“What?” He snaps. I bite my lower lip in surprise.

“I need to get my clothes first.”

He huffs in frustration before pushing me into the dressing room. I quickly put on my clothes and go out to see him sitting on the couch, looking pissed. He stands up and walks away while I scurry behind. This is funny though, I’m supposed to be the higher up but I’m running after him like a dog.

“YA.” He stops and turns around at my shout.

“What do you want? Didn’t you know she can sue you? Didn’t you think before doing anything? Didn't I tell you to be nice?”

“I’m sorry but she’s being annoying. You didn’t even ask who started it and you’re just blaming me?”

“I didn’t have to ask. I already know.” Ouch. As much as it's true, it still stings.

“Well, then now what?”

“Go apologise to her.”

“Never.”

He nods. “I see. All these times I was thinking if she’s really as bad as you've said but now I can just tell who the better person is.”

“Excuse me?” I ask. I can’t deny that I’m a little hurt by his words. Maybe more than a little hurt. I’m worse than her? It’s obvious she was trying to get on my nerves back there. She wanted this to happen, that . I shouldn’t have fell for it. I’m stupid and I agree. I storm towards the car and get in. He does the same. He turns back to look at me, trying to gauge my mood. “Just drive will you?”

We set off without another word and the car is filled with tension and awkwardness. More tension though. He drives me home and drives off without saying anything to me. It makes me mad and upset. I hate how I’m blamed for this. It’s my fault for hitting her, I agree, but she started everything, annoying me first. I realise that yes, I may be famous and the ideal type of girl voted by many guys and even some girls but when it comes to people around me, no one really trusts me and no one really knows how I truly feel. The good thing is, I have Ella, grandma, and my little sister. That’s enough for me. I don’t need anyone else.

I go up to my apartment and take a much needed nap. Waking up, it is already five in the afternoon. I check my phone to see no messages and no missed calls so I change into a pair of denim shorts and a grey oversized pullover before grabbing my clutch and putting on my cap. I close the door behind me and call for a taxi before going downstairs.

 

“Halmoni!” I call out as I enter the cozy little house. “Halmoni!”

“Oh Mi Yeon-ah, I can’t believe you are here!” My grandma grins as she comes out to give me a tight hug.

“I missed you so much, halmoni,” I frown and peck her on her forehead. She smiles and brings me in. “Where’s Se Yeon?”

“Unnie!” Came a squeal before a little ball of energy attacks me with a hug. I squat down, letting her little arms wrap around my neck as I shower her faces with kisses. She squeals and wiggles in my hold.

“I missed you so much, Se Yeon,” I frown and continue to hug her.

“Unnie I miss you too!”

I have no idea when my grandma left the living room but she comes back with a bowl of rice, some bulgogi, side dishes and soup. I grin at the smell. My grandma’s cooking is the best.

“Eat, Mi Yeon-ah. Eat more, you’re so thin now,” Grandma scolds, shaking her head.

“Halmoni, as much as I want to eat more, I can’t. You know how competitive and strict this industry is.”

She sighs and I know she’s wondering if letting me go into this industry was the right choice. I know she will never stop thinking about it. I smile at her and pat her hand softly to set her mind at ease before gently pulling Se Yeon off me.

“Princess, want to eat this with me?” I ask the little girl and she nods her head vigorously with a big smile, making both me and my grandma laugh. I am happy whenever I’m here, or just around these two. They are truly my happy pills. After eating, I help Se Yeon to brush her teeth and wash up. We then sit around to watch television.

“Thanks for the feet massager, Mi Yeon-ah.”

“You received it already? That’s fast!” I beam. She nods.

Grandma turns to Se Yeon. “Se Yeon-ah, don’t you want to show your sister what you learned at kindergarten yesterday?”

She nods and stands up to walk in front of me.

She then starts singing the three little bears with cute little actions. Tears well up in my eyes as I hear her sing, my heart filled with pain and pride for this little girl. Both of us clap once she’s done. I open my arms widely and she runs into my embrace.

“Good job, darling,” I praise as I kiss her forehead. Catching a glimpse of the clock on the wall, I ask,“Isn’t it bedtime already?”

Se Yeon pouts and reluctantly marches into her room. I chuckle at her behaviour.

“You go tuck her in bed and leave after she sleeps,” Grandma says. I nod and follow after Se Yeon. I sit beside her bed and pull the duvet up to her chin before kissing her forehead again.

“Goodnight sweetheart,” I whisper. She grins at me before closing her eyes.

“Goodnight unnie,” She whispers back sleepily. “Come here again soon please.”

I smile and brush her hair off her face with my hand gently. She dozes off in seconds.

“I love you,” I whisper before leaving the room. I hug my grandma and promise that I’ll come back soon. I make her promise that she’ll take good care of herself and Se Yeon and that she’ll always be careful.

 

When I reach the door of my apartment, Luhan is there, standing right beside the door with a distressed look on his face. I ignore him and punch in the code. He follows me in and although I want to tell him to get out, I don’t want to talk to him at all.

“Where have you been?” He asks, finally talking to me after so long. I roll my eyes and walk into my room. “Hey I’m talking to you.”

“Why should I tell you?”

“I’ve been calling you. Why didn’t you pick up?”

“I was busy.”

“Don’t you know how worried I was?” He says, laces of frustration evident in his voice. I turn back suddenly, surprising him.

“Now you see me safe and back in one piece, you can leave. I’m tired.” I walk over to my closet to take out a black silk nightgown. He huffs before leaving. I’m not sure why I’m being so rude to him. I shouldn’t even be affected by what he said earlier on. I shouldn’t be feeling mad, indignant and hurt. I shouldn’t be wallowing in self-pity. I shouldn’t be crying myself to sleep. I really shouldn’t.