Groceries, rain, and a lot of worries

Pieces of Kim Hanbin

"We're sorry, you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service. If you feel you have reach-"

"Why is her phone always out of battery!" Hanbin groaned as he threw his phone on the passenger seat. His eyes kept checking the streets, but the heavy rain didn't make it any easier for him. Running his hand through his hair, he let out a frustrated sigh, regretting the last words he had said to her.

"Here."

Hanbin looked down to the hand, that was holding a banknote. "I have money," he  pushed the girl's hand back and raised his eyebrows slightly.

"I'm telling you, 10 000 won't be enough."

"It is enough," he stated while shaking his head.

"Look at the amount of things we're buying!" she cried out, pointing towards the shopping cart.

"Wanna bet?" he grinned slyly as he started putting the groceries on the counter.

"Fine with me! You're going to lose anyway," she insisted and crossed her arms, refusing to give him a hand.

"The winner gets the car key," Hanbin's grin grew wider. The girl frowned as the total was 9 855. Eyebrows furrowed, she glared at Hanbin, who gave her a gentle pat on her head before paying for the goods.

"Told you. I'm the groceries master. Enjoy your way back."

"The weather forecast said it would be raining later today!" she let out another cry, in hopes that he would let her pass the punishment.

"Then you should walk really fast," he chuckled before picking up the plastic bags and heading to the car.

After checking the supermarket, Hanbin got back in the car. "Where on Earth is she?" he let out the n-th groan and drove slowly back home, looking in every direction until his eyes spotted the oh-so-familiar peach colored sweatshirt. The sweatshirt, as well as its owner was drenched by the rain. Hanbin let out a sigh, probably out if relief. The girl was standing at a bus stop, protected from the rain by a small roof. He stopped the car in front of her and before he could pull the window down, the girl's eyes already lit up and she ran to the vehicle. She opened the door and got in. He stared at the drops of water that were falling from her hair down to the passenger seat, before finally opening his mouth: "Airhead."

The girl turned to him and wrapped her arms around her body, to feel less cold. "Isn't this your fault?"

His gaze softened as her clear eyes made him feel dreadfully guilty - she wasn't upset. Not even fairly. "I'm sorry."

"Just step on it, Kim Han," she smiled faintly.

Hanbin glanced at her shivering hand before taking off his sweater and draping her body with it.

"What took you two so long?!"

"It's hard to find her mom, look how short she is," Hanbin mumbled while closing the front door behind him.

"Shut it. And go get her a towel! You and your bets..." his mother shook her head.

"Yes, ma'am!" the boy said loudly and then turned to his friend. "Go and change before you get sick and-" Achoo! "sneeze in my face..."
The lad let out a soft "sorry" before walking in the guest room. Soon, after she got changed, Hanbin's mother walked into the room with a cup of warm tea.

"How are you feeling, sweetie?" she placed the mug on the cupboard near the bed before telling the girl to sit down, not letting her answer the question. "This is terrible. Your parents will never let you stay here again."

"I don't think that they would stop going on business trips because of this," the girl smiled softly as her forehead was touched by the woman's hand. 

"Eep! You have a fever, sweetie... And where is Kim Hanbin with the towel?" the lady's talk escalated to yelling, which invisibly pulled Hanbin into the room. He placed a towel on the girl's head before sitting on the bed next to her. 

"Get up and let her rest," his mother tugged his sleeve before walking out of the room, still talking: "I'll make you some food, but you should get some sleep before that, sweetie. If it doesn't help, I'll give you some medication."

Hanbin gazed at the girl with guilt in his eyes before standing up and giving her a smile: "Sleep."

The girl was woken up by a cold hand, that gently caressed her cheek. After opening her eyes, she was greeted by Hanbin's expressionless face. His eyes, though, they were saying that he was as startled by this situation as she was. Hanbin withdrew his hand and gave the girl a smile.

"You had been asleep for a while. Are you hungry yet? Mom made you some porridge," he pointed to a bowl that he had placed on the table earlier.

A frown appeared on the girl's face as she sat up. "I don't like eating porridge. It makes me feel like I'm sick."

"You are sick," he laughed while bringing the bowl over to the bed.

"I'll be fine in no time," she glared at the bowl in front of her before digging the spoon in.

"Just eat it, since mom had already cooked it for you."

"She was worried a lot, wasn't she? She kept talking when we came home," the girl giggled, giving Hanbin an odd, fluttering feeling.

"I was too."

"Worried about me?" her gaze switched from the spoonful to him.

"Well, I was worried because mom was. That's how it works, right? Just hurry up and eat." His answer, as well as the fluster in his voice, made her laugh. However, the spoonful that she just took in made her struggle for air. "Eat slowly," Hanbin furrowed his eyebrows.

The girl let out another chuckle. "Aren't you too hard to please, Kim Han?"

The boy sighed and sat down on the bed, next to her. He took the bowl away from her before feeding her. The girl ate without objecting, still grinning. Hanbin gathered the courage to stare back into her eyes for a few seconds.

"I was worried. A lot," he kept feeding her and avoiding her eyes.

"I know. You said that just a while ago."

"Not because of mom. Just because I care. A lot."