Reading

Then There's the Awkward One

The weekend ended before I knew it and it was Monday again.

I sat at my empty table again, listening to an unofficial song from my favorite group—unofficial meaning it’s only on their concert DVD and not anywhere else. Although I hate illegally downloading their song from youtube, it’s also frustrating to try and find that song on itunes and figure out that it’s not on there because  their COMPANY DECIDES, “LOL, THEY WON’T NEED THIS SONG YET!”

It’s maddening, quite frankly.

I’ve been in class for the past 15 minutes, at an empty table by myself, just doodling away.  It’s still 7:45, but I don’t feel like hanging out with the other students—so being in a classroom alone with the art teacher is always a good option.

Ms. Wayne was writing the assignment onto the white board which was to just make a self portrait in your art style and later color it in with a medium of your choice.

One of the benefits about being in Art 3: Having more freedom in your medium.

Soon, more and more people came in.

I stood up, “Ms. Wayne, where’s the watercolor paper?”

She looked at me, pointed. “It’s in a drawer, the third one from the bottom over there.”

I walked over there.

When I went back to my desk, most of the tables were filled. I sat in my seat, and started drawing the way I saw myself, a prettier version, someone that I wanted to look like. A smaller face, less blemishes, bigger eyes—pretty much an anime version of me. It’s another part of being a teenager—something that I’ve learned from the fanfiction community. We’re all in this together. Despite our self-loathing (Okay, most of us.), we’ve put our trust in something else that makes us forget about it to make us happier. And for me, it was a Korean boyband with a lot of members.

I mean, have you read fanfiction? A lot of it involved being set up in a force marriage with a member to save one of the companies. Those fanfics normally had Kyuhyun has the businessman’s son who was either going bankrupt or was saving us from bankruptcy. I don’t know why it’s always Kyuhyun and almost never Siwon, maybe it’s because Siwon’s older or he’s just way too mature to be forced into a marriage, but with Kyuhyun’s personality in those fanfics, he’s always a jerk. AND. THAT. THROWS. ME. OFF. BECAUSE KYUBABY IS LIKE THE MOST AWKWARDEST OF ALL AWKWARD IN SUPER JUNIOR!  I mean, Kyuhyun isn’t my bias, but hot daymn I would not be mad at my dad if he set me up to marry Kyuhyun because I can almost imagine him not knowing what to do 99% of the time because he’d be fidgeting around.

Suddenly, I heard a chair scooting back, breaking me out of my mental babble of Kyuhyun being awkward.

It’s a guy.

A male.

He had messy black hair with a fringe. He had big brown eyes, with his glasses covering them. His features were soft, high cheekbones, and plump lips. He was completely normal in weight—and by that, I mean he didn’t seemed like he weighed less than me which is always a good thing. He was of Asian descent, and from the way he looks I could tell he was Korean (Asian instincts, I guess you could call it. We can tell what race the other Asian is 80% of the time with complete accuracy).  He wore the school’s navy blue cardigan—the colored cardigan was reserved for only seniors, as I’ve read in the rule book—underneath the same white shirt and tie.

He was normal.

Oh gosh, what am I saying? Of course he’s normal.

It’s one of those things when I start thinking about fanfiction. You know those fanfics where when you meet someone, you’re supposed to feel absolutely awe-struck by them? This was not the case. I was mainly awe-struck because this is a guy talking to me.

A male.

The other gender.

MALE.

I don’t think I can emphasize how rare of an occurrence this is for me.

“Hey, I’m K.J.” he introduced himself giving me a quick wave as he put his bag down. “Is it cool if I sit here?”

“I-I’m Jane.” I stuttered and pushed my glasses closer to my face. “S-sorry, I wasn’t expecting someone to be finally sitting at this table.”

He pulled out his hand, “Nice to meet you.” He laughed. “And I’m sorry for interrupting you.”

“No, it’s fine.” I tried to hide my embarrassment by drawing.

I was subconsciously getting defensive about my artwork, placing my left arm over the artwork so he wouldn’t be able to look even if he glanced. It was a defensive mechanism that I created in middle school whenever someone would look at my art and shout, “ARE YOU DRAWING THE ANIME?!” and then proceed to ask me to draw an anime version of themselves, bothering me until I complied.

It was rather silly of me to do so, but still, habits are hard to kill.

“Okay!” Ms. Wayne said just after the bell rang. “So, it looks like we gained some and we lost some, so to all the people that just came in today, why don’t you introduce yourself? Since, you know, it’s Monday, and normally, people don’t change schedules after this…At least I hope not. But just tell us your name, year, and three random facts about yourself.”

I looked at the class; there were probably 5 new people in the classroom today. Each one stood up, and did exactly that—and without a doubt, before I knew it, they started stating their accomplishments again: a state award that was won, landing a lead in a musical, having their art pieces in an art show, something of that matter.

And then it was K.J’s turn.

“Hey,” he began, giving a short wave, “My name’s Kyu-Ju, but please, call me K.J. I’m a senior.” He looked up, “Okay, three facts… I’m not an artist, I like cats, and I believe that one day, cats will be our overlords because they’re little demons in adorable fluff form.”

People started laughing, and I just stared at him.

I practically said the same thing the day prior, only, with less confidence and more awkwardness.

Ms. Wayne chuckled, “It’s ironic that you’re sitting there because the girl in front of you was talking about cats the day prior.”

Kyu turned to sit down and laughed, “Well then, I think we’ll get along.”

“Y-yeah.” I nodded, looking back at him.

Before I knew it, class ended, and then second period ended, and I was in my third period—English class. We had just finished reading a story from the big blue book of doom (or so I’d like to call it) and I was answering the book questions. Being me, I would get distracted and would begin doodling Donghae.

Then, I got lost in thought. I began doodling all the situation my characters would be in, how my main character and Donghae would finally confess to each other that they cared for each other—despite them being such close friends. But I eventually gave up—since I have no idea how real romance worked, and how it would feel to have your feelings for someone reciprocated. Maybe it’ll happen to me junior or senior year, when I meet a cool guy like Donghae, but for now, I’m still in the dark about everything and I’ve been having to depend on other fanfiction authors/already published authors to figure out what it’s like to be in love or how it feels to have a guy feel the same about you.

Let’s just be honest here. I am not one that guys would like, mainly because I’m never “out there”— as my brother Aiden would say. I don’t really leave my room because I don’t have a ride, and because I’m always busy writing and going on YouTube. I don’t get why that’s considered sad, I just consider it as spending my time wisely because what sounds like a better option: Writing stories, or crying over a guy that dumped you? Writing sounds better. It always sounds better.

Lunch happened, and alone I sat. Then fourth hour happened, which was creative writing. Maybe it’s too early to judge, but I don’t like my creative writing teacher. It’s only the third day of school, and yet she gives us these really really bad promps in which, I don’t know what to write about. These, “Use these words to write a story” and “Write a story about a castle in the sky”. Perhaps I’m judging her too fast, but I want to learn how to write a good story, and not just waste an hour of my life sitting somewhere to just jot down words on a page.

Not only that, but there were barely any people in the class. More than half of them changed classes, and you still had a week to change your schedule. It kind of makes me wonder about this teacher, if either they changed it because they didn’t like her, or if they didn’t want a creative writing class in general.

Today’s topic was, “Pretend you’re your favorite animal, and write a POV about it”.

Urgh, these topics.

Okay, maybe I’m just being a bit too overdramatic with this, or maybe I’m not just meant to be an author. But I have attachment issues. You can’t just expect me to write about one character and have no emotional attachment to them whatsoever. I mean, that’s why my fanfiction is a series, because I’m a bit too attached to the female lead! Well, maybe I am a failure as a writer

It was finally my 6th hour, which was chemistry. Victoria came and sat next to me. She was getting out her notebook, and for some reason, I wanted to talk to her. After all, she was kind to me on Friday, and I felt bad for not being able to hold a conversation for that long. Plus, she’s female. Thus meaning, she’d be the easiest person for me to have a conversation with since she’s not male.

“Um, excuse me.” I piped up.

She turned her head, “Hm?”

“Just a question, were you at the school last year?”

She shook her head, “Just moved here from Georgia two weeks ago.”

“Holy crap, that’s terrifying. The whole moving to a different state, that is.”

“Not really.” She beamed, “I like it, meeting new people and all of that.”

And with that we just started talking. We started talking about being new, and she had this attitude in which I wanted to trust her, so I told her how extremely nervous I am about being new here, and she felt the same.

When class ended, I somehow had the guts to ask her, “What’s your next hour?” and proceeded to walk with her to class, continuing to talk to her.

I was happy that I was brave enough to talk to someone today.

The day ended, and I took a breather. It felt amazing, just to have everything end. But of course, I couldn’t go home yet because of Aiden’s classes, so I just hung out at the library with a book that I was wanting to read. It wasn’t the manga that I had just gotten—mainly because I read all of that yesterday. It was a book that I’ve been meaning to read since the title caught my attention, but never had the time to.

I was about 10 minutes into my book before I got interrupted.

“Sorry to bother you,” I looked up, and it was Kyu from art class. “But the other tables are full, is it okay if I just sat here?”

“F-feel free to.”

Jane, stop stuttering.

He’s just a human male, he’s not an alien.

I continued to read my book as he spread his books out.

“So are you new here—wait, sorry, I didn’t realize you were reading.”

My eyes shifted from the book to him, “No, it’s okay.” I say, “I just switched schools.”

“Really? That makes sense—so what year are you?”

“Sophmore, what about you?”

“Senior.” He smiled—he does that a lot. I don’t know if he’s just being nice, or if it’s some sort of poker face for a world domination plot.

I looked at my book again before he thought up of another question.

“So what book are you reading?”

Okay, either this guy is really bored, or he’s trying to find an excuse to not do his homework.

“Um, ‘It’s Kind of a Funny Story’”

“Yeah, but what’s it called?

I looked at him, “That’s what it’s called.”

 “K.J!” someone interrupted.

He turned around and greeted his friend—I’m assuming another senior. She was absolutely stunning, no words about it. She had curly blond hair, a fair completion, blue eyes, and was thin—beautifully thin. I was jealous just seeing her.

“How’s Mr. President doing?” she beamed.

“Mandy!” he grinned. “How have you been?”

“Dying Mr. Prez.” She sighed, sitting next to him. She gave me a quick greeting before continuing to talk to him. “Jeez,” she hit his shoulder, “where have you been? Why did you drop advanced drama?”

He chuckled, “I already took it last year. It’d be pointless to take it again. Besides, I’m already in speech and debate.”

“But still! It’s going to be so boring without you!”

“Meh, I’ll probably still audition for the plays.”

“You better, remember the musical is coming up—”

“I will, I will.”

I continued to read my book, but it was hard to read because of the two people in front of me.

The only thing that I want to do right now is to glare at them and say, “Heathens”.

“Alright, I’ll see you later, kay?”

“Will do.”

With that, Mandy walked away.

Then, there was silenc—well, as silent as a high school library could be—but it was a whole lot quieter when the people in front of me stopped talking. I flipped a page in my book, and he opened his text book.

“Ei! K.J!”

I glared at whoever said that, the person was male, and didn’t notice me. He was white, blonde hair that was gelled up, big green eyes, wore the navy cardigan and khaki pants—senior.

Kyu looked up, but I think he noticed me before he looked at his friend.

“What up?” Kyu quietly asked.

“Dude, you’re taking that class? For your senior year? Are you committing social suicide?”

Kyu didn’t question him about what class it was, he didn’t even hesitate. He just knew which class his friend was talking about. “Pretty much, yeah.”

“I don’t know why you’re doing this.”

“Because I’m one of the few that thinks ahead.” K.J. began, “If I pass the AP test then I won’t need to take it in college—thus, I save money.”

They had a conversation, the blonde guy (his name’s Max, if that matters) walks away after he offered Kyu a chance to go and hang out with “the gang” in which he refused.

So it was quiet again.

And then:

“K.J!”

Oh my gosh.

Will people just STOP TALKING TO HIM ALREADY.

I took a deep breath—rather quietly, since I didn’t want him to notice—and packed my stuff and began walking away without saying anything.

I walked around the library in hopes of finding a quiet place to read, but all the other tables were taken. So, instead, I sat in a small corner where the huge as can be air conditioner was. I curled up in a ball and took my book out, reading it.

Then I got a text message.

Aiden: at the school.

I stared at my phone with a disgruntled look on my face.

So next time, I’m just going to sit near my locker and read.

~~~~~

 

When I got home, I got on my computer.

Today was Rather frustrating

OKAY, OKAY, I need to rant to you guys really quick.

So, we’re all readers, right? And you know what’s absolutely annoying?

When. People. Talk. While. You’re. Reading.

YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT I MEAN RIGHT?!

There was this senior at school today, and I’m assuming he’s well known because every 2 minutes, whenever he was done with a conversation, someone else would step up to have a conversation with him! It was infurating!

I just wanted to read my dang book!

Gah, anyways, I hope your day was well. If  you have any rants, tell me about them because I would love to read them and we can all collectively rant together!

I took a deep breath as I opened my word document.

Today, I don’t feel like working on fanfiction—instead, I wanted to read.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'M SORRY FOR UPDATING SO MUCH.

 I KNOW I SHOULDN'T BE SORRY ABOUT THIS, BUT THE THING IS, I KNOW I NEED TO STOP UPDATING SO MUCH OR ELSE YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO GET WEIRD UPDATES AT WEIRD TIMES, AND I DON'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN! BUT I HAVEN'T UPDATED MY OTHER STORIES IN SO LONG, AND I MISS UPDATING. OH MY GOSH, UPDATING JUST GIVES ME THAT RUSH!

HOLY. CRAP.

Anyways: So, since school will be starting again: Updates will be every Saturday!

P.s. Don't forget to comment! :) They just make me want to update more whenever you guys do comment!