Chapter 3: Nice to meet you!

One Step, Two Step

It wasn’t intentional, but things just seemed to have happened for Junmyeon.

Since Jongin is still in the hospital, he still visits every day from 5PM to 7PM and whole days on weekends. Except now, instead of staying the whole time at the waiting place of the 6th floor, he would first knock on Jongin’s door to see if the younger boy would talk to him. If he doesn’t and he knew he wouldn’t change his mind soon, he would go to the room across Jongin’s.

“Jongdae-ah! Hyung is here!” Junmyeon would call softly and in less than a second, the room would open and reveal said boy. Jongdae always has a bright smile on his face and eyes twinkling with an innocence just like any other 7 year old do. Except, he wasn’t quite 7.

“Jongdae’s been with us for 10 years now.” Minseok told him when he walked him to the entrance of the hospital on the day the two met by the vending machine. “He was in a coma for 10 years and just woke up about a month ago. He believes he’s still 7.”

“What happened to him?” Junmyeon couldn’t help asking. “And where were his parents?”


“They got into a car accident 10 years ago. His parents died and he survived, but just barely.” Minseok opened the door of the entrance and seemed to debate whether he should continue or not. “His grandparents stayed with him the first 3 years, but the pain of losing their son and seeing their grandson in a coma was probably too much to bare. They died a month after each other.”

Junmyeon processed the words that came out of his cousin’s mouth. “So… Jongdae’s alone?” he asked, “I mean, he has no family that comes to visit him and take care of him?”

“None. His grandparents said that they’re not in contact with the other side of the family. We have no idea if he has cousins or uncles out there willing to take him in,” Minseok smiled sadly at him. “Which is a waste because anyone who’ll have Jongdae in their life is fairly lucky.”

“Jongdae’s 17, but he thinks he’s 7? Does he even know how to read yet?” Junmyeon asked again and the sad smile on Minseok’s face says it all. “Why not? This is a hospital!”

“And people pay for treatments, Junmyeon.”

“But--”

Minseok stopped him before he could complain any longer. “All the Doctors we could get loves him and are willing to give him free treatment, but we can’t give him everything. They have work too and has to sneak Jongdae in their schedule. The hospital is already paying for his room and food.” he sighed, “I wish I could do more.”

Junmyeon does, too, but they may be rich, but he’s still just a senior High School student who has University exams to worry about. Even then, how can anyone walk away from someone like Jongdae?

“I’ll teach him.”

Minseok frowned at him. “What?”

“Doctors can give him treatments so he can… uh, get older? Learn his age?” Junmyeon didn’t know how to convey the words. “I’ll teach him the other basics like reading and writing and counting. I know you want to, but you have other things to do, hyung.”

Minseok was still frowning, but he was thinking it over. “Why?”

Because he has to repay someone, somehow. Because he wanted to do something right for the first time. Because he wants to see someone happy because of him. Because he could see the kid Jongin was in Jongdae’s eyes. Because he wants another shot at being an older brother.

Even though there were a lot of things running in his mind, Junmyeon could only say, “Jongin.”

Minseok understood.

“Hyung is back!” Jongdae raised his fist as a way of greeting. “Hi hyung! I did all the assignments you left me yesterday!”

“Did you?” Junmyeon humored him, entering the room and closing the door behind him. “Why don’t I see it, then?”

Jongdae immediately reached for the notebook on his bed while Junmyeon sat on the couch by the door. He left Jongdae homework on mathematics that the boy seemed to enjoy. Why? He had no idea. Who enjoys Math anyway? Jongdae’ll probably hate it too, when he grows up… mentally.

“Here, hyung! I did my best!” Jongdae sat beside him, legs crossing under his body as he leaned over Junmyeon’s space.

Jongdae did fairly well. Junmyeon was almost amazed at how the other easily picked up the things they tackled yesterday. Sure, there were some mistakes here and there, but they weren’t too major and he knew he could amend that with a few more explanation.

“Good job! You only made 7 mistakes!” Junmyeon beamed at Jongdae, but the other was frowning. “What’s wrong?”

“I… I wanted a perfect score!” Jongdae started crying. This was probably the only thing Junmyeon disliked about Jongdae that he cries a lot. It’s like every time that he didn’t get his way or there was something wrong or when he’s upset, he cries as if that’s the natural reaction to it. Which is a huge difference for when he’s happy.

“Hey, that’s not bad. Most 7 year olds get this wrong, too! You’re actually more advanced than all of them combined!” Junmyeon had put on his best encouraging smile, hoping that Jongdae would get it and won’t be upset anymore. “Cheer up, okay?”

Instead of smiling, Jongdae just teared up more. “B-but I’m not 7! I’m older! And I think like 7! I’m so stupid!” Then he ran to his bed and hid under the blankets like an overgrown lump. If Jongdae wasn’t so upset, Junmyeon would’ve ran over and tickled the hell out of the boy.

Although now, at least, he knows what’s really bothering Jongdae. For the one week they started seeing each other, Jongdae is overly childish or crying so hard. The poor boy must be confused on who he really is and that there’s no one there to guide him through it. Doctors and nurses can only do as much.

“Hey, hey, it’s okay. Don’t cry,” he moved to the bed and rubbed circles on the boy’s back. “You’ll get it right next time. Mistakes are fine, even when you’re 7 or even if you’re 17.”

Jongdae’s head peeked from under the blanket, his eyes wet with tears. It’s quite funny to see on a teenager, but Junmyeon knew better than to say anything about it. “D-do you make mistakes too, hyung?”

Junmyeon froze.

The question was utterly innocent and spoken in such pure curiosity that Junmyeon found it hard to look away. Oh, how many mistakes he’s already made through his years and he doubt Jongdae should hear all of them. It might scare him to get older.

“Yeah, yeah, I did and I learned from them,” too late though. “So you’ll learn from them, too.”

Jongdae looked like he didn’t believe him at first, but the look Junmyeon had on his eyes probably spoke for himself because the boy soon left the bundle of blankets and went back to the seat beside Junmyeon.

“Ready again?”

Jongdae huffed. “I always am, you know.”

Junmyeon laughed and ruffled the other’s hair. “Tell you what, if you correct these mistakes you made from this I’ll buy you cookies. Kitten shaped cookies from my favorite bakery shop. How’s that, huh?”

At this, Jongdae’s eyes widened. “I DON’T WANT TO EAT KITTENS!”

Then Junmyeon would laugh and explain that they’re not really kittens, but cookies just shaped like them. He assured him that no animal were harmed in the making of said cookies. It was only when Junmyeon pinky-promised did Jongdae exaggeratedly gave up and said he’d allow his little hyung to buy him cookies.

“Y-you brat!” Junmyeon exclaimed then went and tackled Jongdae, tickling him where he knew the boy was weak. “We’re just the same height, brat!”

Laughing, Jongdae tried to push Junmyeon off without success. “Yes, but you’re older hyung!”

No one mentioned just how much older Junmyeon really is.

After lessons on reading, writing, science and math, the two of them went out to get some choco or ice cream. Junmyeon taught Jongdae how to use the selling box--”Vending machine, okay?” “Bending, hyung? Does it twirl, too?”--and how to tie his shoe lace. He taught him how to properly brush his teeth and how to punch, albeit a bit weak.

That was how their days went. The first part on studies and the second on Jongdae getting to know himself and also getting to know each other. It doesn’t really change a lot because Junmyeon found out that there are a lot of things that Jongdae had missed out on like how to use the television and what mobile games are.

(Jongdae was stuck on Snake for a whole one week before finally giving up and moving on to Bounce.)

Jongdae got to run around the hospital park with Junmyeon and also eat kitten cookies while drinking choco inside his room. He was introduced to ramen with cheese and loads of greasy hamburgers.

All at once, Junmyeon tried to give Jongdae what he felt like the boy missed and all that he could give. There was no other better satisfaction than to see Jongdae throw him his kittenish smile before laughing out loud.

Before they knew it, another month has passed and Jongdae’s birthday was looming close.

Before Junmyeon knew it, he had forgotten about the pain he’s been holding and the burn of Jongin’s hatred towards him.

Before they knew it, things were too late.


AN: I almost forgot about this update because of the holidays. I hope you had a great one! Start your new year the way you want it to and don't forget to enjoy it, as well!