Final

Too Many Thoughts

Chaerin picked up her phone. “No, don’t do it!” her brain screamed, but she gave in to temptation as she always did. With the push of a button, the text message was sent. Chaerin sighed and mentally scolded herself for being so weak. Why did she always have to be the one to text first? She ran a hand through her hair in frustration, she was supposed to be studying for her finals but all she could do was think of him.

“Stop getting distracted Lee Chaerin!” she muttered and forced herself to stare at the notes in front of her. She did not hate studying, admittedly she was never particularly good at it, but her brain seemed to be rejecting all attempts to force information in. It took her but two lines to lose focus again. Her hand instinctively reached for the phone and she felt her heart sink. No notifications. “He must be busy,” she thought to herself. She recalled that he told her that he would be busy preparing for his presentation. Still, the selfish side of Chaerin wanted him to reply. She wanted him to be beside his phone, waiting for her text, like she was waiting for his. Did he not like her as much as she liked him? Did he not think of her as much as she thought of him? Was he just playing her? That jerk! Chaerin mentally kicked herself as the wild thoughts ran through her mind; from what she knew he was not someone to do that. She knew she was being childish. It was an important time for the both of them to be focussed on their work and they both agreed that they would. With much effort, she peeled her eyes away from her phone and decided that monstrosity would be better off buried in the depths of her backpack. She could do this. She was running out of time but she knew she needed that First, and she knew she had to work for it. With new found determination, she tossed her phone aside and willed her mind and body back towards the stack in front of her.

“I give up! You win!” Chaerin groaned and rested her forehead on the table in defeat. She never understood why lecturers liked phrasing things in such complex manners. She really wanted to finish the lecture within the hour but, they just like to make things difficult. She closed her eyes and let her mind wander to him. She thought of the dates they had been on, how much she wished he were here and how much she just wanted a hug from him and for him to tell her everything’s going to be alright. She pouted at the thought that she missed him so much. Perhaps being single would had been better for her. Then she would not be sitting around, thinking of him and wondering if she was getting way too involved, whereas he probably was not as crazy about her as she was over him. Then again, she could not remember the last time she could be completely focussed on her studies. Before him, her thoughts were all on her crushes and before she had a crush, she daydreamed about someday meeting her prince charming. Perhaps being single would not have been that much better afterall…

Her head shot up as she felt a short, sharp vibration from the table. “Phone!” Her hand shot into the backpack as she rummaged around for it. She wouldn’t be surprised if her hair was sticking out in all the wrong directions and she was almost sure she looked positively dishevelled. The corner of her lips turned up as she felt the slick screen of her phone brush across her fingertips. “Please don’t let this be an email,” she prayed. She found herself grinning excitedly when she saw his name appear on the screen. She self-consciously ran her fingers through her hair in an attempt to neaten it despite it being just a text message.

From Jiyong:

Hey Hunchae! I’m sorry for the late reply, I was busy with my presentation. Hang in there dear, it’ll be over soon! I’ll talk to you later alright, I’m in a group meeting now. All the best studying! I miss you too and I can’t wait to see you again.

“He misses me too!” She mentally cried in happiness. If she could, she would have squealed, but she was certain the librarian would not be too pleased with that. This boy could be so sweet sometimes. She read and reread the message, and then went on to reread their previous conversations despite the better half of her brain nagging her to go back to studying.

She sighed yet again as she put down her phone and eyed the stack of papers before her reluctantly. It was just her luck to find a guy that was so perfect for her. One simple text message, it did not even contain anything profound, and that was all it took to make her feel like jelly and butterflies on the inside. She liked it and hated it at the same time. She resigned herself to the fact that she was pathetic, because she knew that she was so pathetically in love with him.

And she still has an exam to study for…

***END***

And so do I...

Well, merry christmas and happy new year everyone (: