THE KINDNESS

HOME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“She’s still mad at you? Clamp please,” Yuri spoke but never took her eyes off from the unconscious patient.

 

“Kind of. I didn’t know she didn’t bring her phone nor her wallet, okay?” Sunny replied.

 

“What happen anyway?” Hyoyeon looked up from the magazine she was reading.

 

“She came to my apartment that day, pissed off and everything, when I asked about it she refused to say anything. Then we played video games and she got better then I asked again, she told me that she fight with Tiffany for some stupid reason. I know it wasn’t my place to interfere but I can’t help it. I literally kicked her out to fix their thing. The next morning all she said to me was ‘you’re not my friend anymore.’”

 

Yuri asked the nurse to wiped her sweat. “Ah, there’s a little bleeding here,” she mumbled to herself.

 

“Who’s Tiffany?” The blonde asked again.

 

“Her soon to be wife slash fake girlfriend slash mortal enemy depends on who ask.” The tan doctor explained.

 

“How come I wasn’t informed about this?” Hyoyeon frowned.

 

“You’re too busy sedating people.”

 

“Hey, I’m making a living, you know.”

 

“You make people sleep, pleasantly sit in the OR doing your endless crosswords while we’re doing the real work here.” Yuri stated as a matter of fact.

 

“I told to you to join anesthesia not surgical. Your fault not mine.” Hyoyeon waved her hand nonchalantly. “So what about this Tiffany?”

 

“We don’t know anything yet aside from that. We have never seen her.” Sunny said.

 

“Now it most likely we will not meet her anytime soon. Thanks to Soonkyu.”

 

“Yah! It wasn’t entirely my fault.”

 

“Half of it.”

 

“Guys, we’re in the middle of surgery here. Stop bickering, would you? Yuri, how much longer do you need to finish?” Hyoyeon checked watch.

 

“Give me a minute then she’s all yours, Soonkyu.”

 

“Good, tell me more about this later.” Hyoyeon whispered to Sunny.

 

 

-----

 

 

Taeyeon was writing on her patient's chart when Sunny approached her.

 

“I’m still not talking to you.” She said flatly.

 

“Taeyeon, it’s been days. You can’t give me silent treatment forever.”

 

“Watch me.”

 

“It’s not fair!” Sunny groaned. “You threw me to the garden pond in front of hundred people when we were in college. I forgave you!” Sunny pouted.

 

“Remember how long it took for you to accept my apology? Months. Besides, it was your birthday."

 

"Not the point."

 

"It wasn’t just me. The kids also contributed in it.” She stated the fact.

 

“But you’re the brain! You made that idea and you bribed them with food to do your evil plan! Ha!”

 

“Who told you that?” Taeyeon frowned.

 

“Hyoyeon and Yuri. Now, we’re even.”

 

“Traitor,” she muttered. “Buy me lunch and I'll call it even.”

 

“Hey!”

 

“Take it or leave it, Soonkyu.” Taeyeon gave the chart back to the nurse and started to walk away.  

 

“One lunch and that’s that, Kim Taeyeon!”

 

Taeyeon smirked widely.

 

 

-----

 

 

A week had passed. Taeyeon and Tiffany were at least civil to each other even though there was still some disagreement here and there. Despite of that, Taeyeon spent most of her time at home than at the hospital or at the bar like she used to. However, old habit die hard. She still got a lot of texts and calls from unknown number whether it was from pure wrong number or from her former one night stand partners. She replied to some of it when she had nothing better to do. It was harmless, to her defense.

 

Entering the third week, Taeyeon was crazy busy. She was drained. She barely had enough sleep especially when it was her on-call shift. She barely could see Tiffany since she usually came home in the middle of the night or nearing the dawn when Tiffany was asleep and woke up by the time Tiffany was already off to work.

 

Luckily for Taeyeon, even though physically Tiffany was absent, her consideration remained the same. Delicious breakfast was always set on the table every morning. Tiffany never missed a chance to send Taeyeon a text reminder to not skip lunch and dinner. Also, the house was always clean. It wiped away her tiredness after a long day.

 

That actually got Taeyeon thinking. Why did Tiffany care?

 

Taeyeon was ready to go to work when she heard noise from the kitchen. Unconscious smile spread on her face by the sight of Tiffany, in a light brown blazer, occupied with their meals. She had to admit that her life had become easier in some aspect since Tiffany moved in. She didn’t have to worry about the house chores because Tiffany handled almost everything. Her body mass index began to increase to normal number, and the greatest thing was, she had someone to come home to. It felt nice.

 

If only she could fight back her fear.

 

“Hey, you’re up?” Tiffany snapped Taeyeon out from the daydreaming. “Why are you standing there? Come on, breakfast is ready.”

 

“Uh… yeah.” She stuttered.

 

“What time did you get home last night?” Tiffany put two pancakes on Taeyeon’s plate. “Chocolate or maple?”

 

“Are you going to turn me to American or something? I eat this kind of stuff everyday.” She said with fake unpleasant voice.

 

“Fine. Go make your own next time. I won’t cook for you anymore.” Tiffany took the plate back.

 

“Hey! I didn’t say I don’t like it. Give it back.” Taeyeon pouted. She tried to steal her plate but Tiffany quickly slapped her hand. “Tiffany, come on. I’m hungry. I was just kidding. I really like your cook.”

 

“Say it again.”

 

“Say what? I was kidding?”

 

“Nope.”

 

“I’m hungry?”

 

“You don’t really want it, huh?” She said heartlessly.

 

Taeyeon groaned exasperatedly. “I like your food. They’re awesome. You’re an awesome cook. Now give it to me.” Taeyeon spoke sarcastically.

 

“Take you weeks to admit it,” Tiffany smirked victoriously.

 

“I want maple.” Taeyeon ignored her remark.

 

“Do it yourself.”

 

“You’re not allowed to work in half. Finish what you started.”

 

“You’re annoying. You know that?” Tiffany sulked as she poured the syrup.

 

“I’ve been told that many times by this no less annoying woman.” She laughed loudly.

 

Tiffany threw her disapproving look then ate in silent.

 

“I got home at four. Today I have interns to train. God, I’m so tired.” Taeyeon whined.

 

“Aren’t there another surgeon aside of you? You’ve been working day and night lately.”

 

“We only have two cardio surgeons, me and this old grandpa who will retire soon,” Taeyeon swallowed her food. “My department is running out of staff and we haven’t had a definite candidate to replace him.”

 

“What about SeoHyun?” Tiffany remembered Taeyeon mentioned her.

 

Taeyeon smiled at Tiffany. “You remember I told you that?”

 

“Of course I do. You mentioned her once or twice." One of many perks of being a lawyer was her brain could collect every tiny little details of the information. Taeyeon said that there were four residents who were in their last year. Taeyeon only considered SeoHyun as the qualified one for her department.

 

“Well, she’s still in doubt and I won’t ask her over and over again. I don’t want to look like I’m desperate or something though I am that desperate.”

 

“You and your pride, Kim Taeyeon,” she chuckled. “Try different approach then.” Tiffany got off from the chair to do the dishes.

 

“What approach? I have none of idea left. Please help me.” She stood next to Tiffany. “I’ll dry them.”

 

“What makes her still in doubt?”

 

“Have you ever imagined how terrifying to cut a beating organ? One wrong move, your patient will bleed to die. SeoHyun is smart, she’s just… I don’t know - scared?”

 

“Then offer her the chance to be brave. Include her in every surgery you do, make her familiar with the circumstances, some kind of pressure training or something.” Tiffany suggested.

 

“You’re right. I mean she’s been a lot in my surgery but only assisting. Maybe I should let her to do a real one?”

 

“You’re the one who know the drill, Taeyeon. Just make sure she doesn’t fail on her first try. It’ll crush her confidence.” They wiped their hand as they finished.

 

“Okay, let’s hope there’s no competition to get this one.” Taeyeon followed Tiffany to the living room. She cursed at the heavy rain outside the window. “How am I supposed to burn all this fat.” She muttered under her breath. Taeyeon rarely brought her car to work. Hospital was merely two blocks from her apartment.

 

“What competition?”

 

“Yuri wants her too.” She sighed. “Oh, speaking of that brat, my friends ask you to have lunch with them. You’re up for it?”

 

“Oh? Um… when?”

 

“Up to you.”

 

“I’ll see my schedule then I’ll get back to you later?”

 

“Sure. Tiffany, do you see my car key?” Taeyeon lifted the cushion, none. Then she searched under the table, also none. She was certain she put it somewhere in the living room.

 

“Taeyeon?” Tiffany called her.

 

“I swear I put it here,” She kept exploring.

 

“Taeyeon?” She called again.

 

“Where the hell is it?”

 

“Taeyeon!” Tiffany shouted.

 

“What? Ouch!” Her head hit the table. “You really need to shout?” Taeyeon caressed the aching part. “I’m searching my key here, what do you want?”

 

“Here is your key, you messy. Next time, put your thing in its place,” Tiffany scolded Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon narrowed her eyes. “I always put it there. Who ask you to move it?”

 

“I found it under the couch yesterday, and inside your jeans pocket the other day, and-”

 

“I get it, I get it, okay?” Taeyeon grabbed the key from Tiffany and walked out of the house. “You’re so nosy.”

 

“Promise me.” Tiffany closed the door and quickened her step to match Taeyeon.

 

“What?”

      

“You will put your things in its place. It’ll safe us from trouble.”

 

“Yes, mom. I promise. Happy?”

 

“Not really, I have not seen the proof, so…”

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes and sulking all the way to the parking lot. The rain got heavier, the temperature dropped lower. She tightened her jacket to keep her body warm. As they reached their cars that were parked next to each other, Taeyeon quickly got in. She rubbed her hands for warmth and started the engine. She reserved her car and about to leave when she noticed Tiffany was still standing outside of her car with a frown upon her face. Her phone stuck to her ear.

 

Taeyeon rolled down the window. “Hey, something wrong?”

 

“My tire leaks. I’m calling Jessica.” Tiffany sighed irritatingly. “Come on pick it up, Jess.” She mumbled.

 

Taeyeon stepped out from her car to check Tiffany’s. She squatted down to see how bad the damage was. “There is practically no air in it.”

 

Tiffany was still busy calling Jessica. She walked back and forth, starting to panic.

 

“Tiffany,” Taeyeon patted her shoulder.

 

“God damn it, Jessica! Where are you?!” She shouted. “Pick up!”

 

“Tiffany.” Taeyeon said sternly, effectively stopped her. “You’re going with me. Come on.” She opened the shotgun door and dragged Tiffany into her car as she quickly got in too.   

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter