THE EXPIRED DATE

HOME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon pressed the console button roughly, eyes piercing straight to the screen. She didn't even blink. It was her second game versus Sunny. They had been fighting about half hour and no one seemed to give in easily. Taeyeon had her feet on the table, leaning comfortably to the couch armrest while chewing her bubble gum.

"Taengo, why are you here? It’s Saturday afternoon." Hyoyeon stated as a matter of fact. She took a bag of chips and filled it inside . She just arrived at YoonA's place and didn't expect the shorty to be there since she usually ditching her friends to spend more time with Tiffany.

"Fany is going shopping with her friends." She replied shortly. "Damn it," she muttered under her breath. She almost lost another heart by Sunny’s sudden attack.

"Unnie, you will lose to Sunny unnie," YoonA snickered. "Just wait for it, wait for it..." She laughed loudly. "Bam!"

"Damn it, Yoong!" She shouted, slamming the console. "What's with you all disturbing my game,seriously!"

"I won! Wohoo!" Sunny punched the air. "Woah! That was tiring." She smirked smugly.

"Whatever, I'm not playing that again." Taeyeon sulked as she snatched the chips from Hyoyeon, eating it in one go.

"Oh you cry baby!" Sunny mocked her. "Come on! One more game." She handed Taeyeon the main console, ready to press the play button.

"Go play with Yuri, she's way too quiet." Yuri wasn't paying attention to her friends. She was looking at the table blankly. "Yo Yul!" Taeyeon threw a peanut – successfully landed on her head making the latter jumped in surprise.

"What the heck!" She combed her hair to find the peanut.

"Play with Sunny." Taeyeon said nonchalantly.

"I don't want to." Yuri replied curtly, clearly irritated.

"She's been moping about ‘I-can’t-even-know-what’ a lot lately.” YoonA quoted it with her hands. “Tell her to spill it, unnie.”

“You heard her, Yul. Spill the beans already, what’s up to you?”

“Come on, Taeng! One more game!” Sunny poked the console to her head.

“Yah!” She shouted. “One more and that’s that, Soonkyu. You’re a game freak, gosh!”

They started a new game as the others did their own business like watching the battle or eating snacks or dumbly mistaken the nutshell as peanut and spitted it out right after.

“What is it, Yul?” Taeyeon saw the scene from the corner of her eyes. “You’re weirder than usual.”

“Nothing.” She mumbled.

“It’s clearly something. Quit that long face and talk to us.” Hyoyeon chimed in.

Yuri sighed. “Taeyeon-ah? Do you know Jessica?” Yuri said cautiously.

“As in Jung Jessica the Satan? Yeah I know her, why?”

Yuri frowned at the statement. “What do you think about her?”

“Plankton.” Taeyeon replied shortly, still concentrating on her game.

“What?” YoonA laughed. “Are you really talking about that plankton, unnie?”

“Uh-huh,” she nodded. “Now come to think about it, she’s more like Squidward. Grumpy, pretentious, cynical, that’s what I thought about her.”

“Yes!” Sunny shouted. “You loser!” She shoved Taeyeon’s shoulder. The cardio surgeon face palmed at her bad game.

“Whatever, not playing that again.” She tossed the console to Hyoyeon. “Why are you asking about her anyway?” Taeyeon scratched her arms and yawned loudly.

“Nothing,” Yuri blushed. Taeyeon saw that.

“Oh no. No. Oh no. No!” The heart doctor shook her head. “Please don’t tell me you…” Yuri blushed harder. “Oh my god! You are! Kwon Yuri, she’s a Satan! I told you she’s a Satan!”

“Who is?” YoonA was lost.

“She’s kind of cold, yes, but there’s something about her that you know… interesting?” Yuri said hesitantly.

“Get that woman out of your head, she’s no good for you.”

“How do you know?!”

“I just know, okay?”

“It’s not fair. Have you even tried to get to know her better? She’s not that bad,” Yuri argued.

“Who is, unnies?!” YoonA shouted to get their attention. “I don’t want to be left behind again.” She pouted.

“Jessica is Fany’s friend. She’s all that I already describe before. Yuri here apparently likes her and I’m telling her that Jessica is an evil.”

“There you go, Yoong.” Sunny chuckled.

“You like a Satan?” YonnA gasped. “Yuri unnie…” she was speechless.

“I know it’s not a good idea to talk to you about it.” Yuri sulked and stood up. “Should’ve talked to Tiffany.” She slammed the guest bedroom door harshly.

“Was that too much?” Taeyeon scrunched up her nose. “But I’m telling her the truth.”

“You told her what you think, not the truth,” Hyoyeon corrected her. 

“She’s lonely.” YoonA spoke quietly as she cleared the table. “Among us all, she’s the only one who is left single.”

“Talk to her again, Taeng.” Sunny elbowed her leg. “And please be objective.”

Taeyeon sighed heavily. “Fine.” She moved from her spot then knocked on the door once. She didn’t wait for her permission before entering the room. 

“I’m sorry, okay?”

Yuri looked away.

“I don’t know her personally, Yuri-ah. But I do don’t like her the first time I saw her, till now actually.” She whispered the last part. “Anyway, it’s not fair and I have no right to say anything about her.”

Still no respond.

“You should talk to Fany. They’re best friend, inseparably sister so to speak. Or better yet, don’t listen to other people. If your gut tells you to go for it, then do it. Get to know her better, take her to many cheesy dates, do whatever you want to do.”

Yuri exhaled her breath slowly.

“Good luck, Yuri-ah. I hope for the best for you.” She walked out of the room, took her jacket and put it on. “I should get going. Night shift will start in two hours. Bye kids.”

 

 

-----

 

 

Taeyeon ran with blurry eyes, trembling legs and spinning head towards the elevator. Unfortunately, it closed right on her nose. She was not in a fit state to take the stairs to approach the ER. She pushed the button roughly. Not that she cared of the fact that it wasn’t going to ride up any faster.

As she stepped in the ER, it was quiet.

A lot of people were there, but quiet nonetheless.

“Am I missing something?” She whispered to Yuri. The latter just shook her head. “Where are the victims?” Taeyeon asked her.

“They aren’t here yet. We’re waiting. And you might want to wipe that drool off your face before they arrived.”

Taeyeon brushed away the saliva with her backhand hastily. She missed the page from ER because she fell asleep due to the lack of sleep last night. Hospital was crazy hectic with endless trauma patients.

“Alright people, listen up! As we all know Korean Airline crashed this morning and victims will be admitted to our hospital. I don’t know how many will come but we’ll give the best service we can provide. I’ve called another hospital see if they can help so if we’re out of hands here, we’ll move the least injured out after we stabilized them here. All elective surgeries have been cancelled considering a lot of victims will need immediate treatment. We are the best trauma center in the country. I expect your best work. The first ambulance will arrive in five. Make yourself useful! Trauma, you’re on the front!” Dr. Lee shouted, giving his fellow instructions.

Taeyeon quickly put her gown and gloves on as she walked to the ER front door with the others. Sirens started to audible. She bounced on her running shoes, inhaled and exhaled a big breath, preparing herself.

“Kim Ju Hoo, 48, crushed abdomen. HR: 138x/min, RR: 33x/min, BP: 90/50.”

“Dr. Kwon, he’s yours!”

Dr. Lee was pretty much yelling here and there. Seven ambulances had arrived and he hadn’t given Taeyeon one patient. Taeyeon was waiting for the next victim. The gap of arrival time was too long from the previous one. Her boss was busy calling someone on his phone as he nodded and shook his head. Taeyeon just stood there with SeoHyun.

“Dr. Kim, this is the last one, others didn’t make it.”

“What do you mean others didn’t make it?”

“All dead. We only had eight survivors,” he sighed tiredly. “Most of their families are here. I have to go to organize them.” Then he walked inside, caressing the back of his neck.

“Song Jin Hyo, 15. Penetrating injury in her chest and severe head trauma. GCS: 7, HR: 148x/min, BP: 90/50, RR: 42x/min. We’ve put two IV lines, Doctor.”

Taeyeon checked her pupils, finding it is anisocoria. Fat chance there was an active bleeding in her head. If it wasn’t a miracle she didn’t know what could have kept her alive long enough with this severe injury.

“Page peds and neuro. Get a CT, do her lab CITO.”

Today was going to be a very long day.

 

-----

 

“You look tired.” Tiffany said softly but the way said it, tired that she meant wasn’t literally tired, she knew something was bothering Taeyeon.

Taeyeon closed her eyes as Tiffany gave Taeyeon’s head a gentle rub. They stayed still in silence for a moment.

“Have you ever said something important – something pivotal to someone that you don’t even know that it is true or not?” Taeyeon spoke wearily.

“Not really.” Tiffany replied unsurely. She didn’t know where Taeyeon was going with this.

“You heard about the plane crash, right?”

“It’s all over the news,” she nodded. “The victims were admitted to your hospital.”

“Yeah. I did a surgery for one of them. There are nine of them who survived from the scene, one didn’t make it to hospital, two of them die on the OR table.” She gulped as she entered the hardest part. “I operated a teenage girl. She’s fifteen and um… she was bleeding a lot. Her chest penetrated by a metal, she had massive bleeding in her head but somehow she survives. I talked to her mom who already lost her husband on the same accident. She’s… she’s damn it,” she muttered under her breath. “I was – I can’t tell her the truth. I’m a coward telling her that her daughter is okay, that she fights throughout her surgery for her mom. She’ll be back in no time and some other bull,” she snorted at the last part.

“You said she’s alive.” Tiffany caressed her jaw.  

“She might be dead tomorrow or today for that matter. Even if she survived, big chance she’d be paralyzed.” Taeyeon looked away from Tiffany. “I shouldn’t have said it. I shouldn’t give her false hope. I should’ve told her the truth!” Taeyeon stood up abruptly, anxiously pacing back and forth.

“What truth?” Tiffany asked innocently.

“That her daughter isn’t okay. She’s dying!” She shouted frustratingly. “I’m a doctor. I informed lots of bad news before. I don’t know why this time has to be different! I have responsibility on e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter