Broken Quiet

Expressionless Ice Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

~Ice Prince

His mood was sour now- the prince displayed his displeasure at the sight of the ice swan he had created. He could feel his throat burning and eyes prickling with hot, but nothing was forthcoming. Wooyoung's eyes remained dry, and his face impassive. His steps quickened.

The ice swan now crookedly flew into the air, a wing crumbled- a marred flaw in its otherwise perfect ice. The azure frozen water shimmered with tiny waves inside the ice feathers. The ice outside was fine, but the inner turmoil was sickening to watch- waves crashing repeating against the swan's body- the ice cracked pieces falling from everywhere where frozen particles existed on the bird. 

The Ice Prince turned a sharp corner in the spinning corridor- 

A young man stood in front of the prince, a genuine smile etched into his face as the young prince pouted cutely. "Now remember- this is the most difficult magic you'll probably ever do. Do you know what it is?" The child raised his chubby arm. "Ice Shape Forms!" The carefully pronounced words slipped out with a slight lisp, but the sight of the child beaming with pride was too much for the tutor to endure. A gleam lit the young man's face. "Perfect! Ice Living Shape Forms." The toddler stuck out a pink bottom lip. "Living? Does that mean Wooyoungie gets to make a real animal that Wooyoungie can play with?" The black orbs shone with excitement. "Wooyoungie wants a tiger! Rwoar! A tiger will be fun to have, right, tutor?" The man shook his head lightly, glasses almost slipping off. With two fingers, he pushed them back up, and ruffled the precious child's lush black hair with fondness. The toddler craned his small neck for more rubs. A fatherly expression adorned the young man s face and his pale hand slipped away from the child's hair. "Yes and no, Wooyoung. While you can make a tiger, that will be very difficult knowing your personality. The animal you create will reflect you- it will show you more than you will ever realize or know. No matter of how many years of trainings underwent, no master has ever been able to form an animal of the appearance that was desired- simply put, the maker cannot choose how the form looks like. It will be you- your emotions, personality, feelings, thoughts, emotions- Don't ever show it to anyone unless you trust them with your back, okay?" The tutor's words gripped steel as the last words were carried into the frozen walls. The child continued to smile, blissfully unaware of the tension in the young man's voice. "Okay, tutor! I will make sure I only show it to you!"

 Wooyoung grit his teeth and his black, emotionless eyes stared at the endless corridors in front of him- 'It never ends.'

-The swan flew into the air, filled with life and playfulness, crafted eyes twinkling with mischief. The young child laughed, shrieking with glee as the young man blew out a breath of relief and wrote down 'swan' in his notebook. Pride lit the man's face as the notebook was then tossed onto a clear desk,  and the tutor chuckled. "Good job, Wooyoung. You've done wonderfully." The child screeched with joy and his hands into the air. 

'The memories aren't stopping. Why aren't they stopping?' Frustration that couldn't be seen easily was showcased on the flurry of boots skidding on the ice. The Ice Prince bit his chapped lips and immediately halted. His pants came out slowly- puffs of air drifted from his cool mouth. Wooyoung rested his left hand on the wall of frozen particles of different shades of blue- beautiful and chillingly remote. The young adult closed his lids and poked at his bloody inner cheek with his tongue. 'From too much biting...' The refreshing chill in his eyes calmed him, the silent air soothing and unsettling. 

"Wait! Wait- I can't keep up!" Two children, between the ages of six and nine ran down the blissfully cold corridors, playing tag. Peels of laughter came from the one whose tall back was visible to the hyper prince. Wooyoung in turn, also giggled, eyes lit with euphoria and a carelessness that only children bare. Sounds... Noises everywhere- music from the ball room, the amiable maids and butlers pausing their stroll in the hall to glance at the two friends and laugh- Sweet words of caution;"Be careful!" "Oh! Please, the floor is slippery!". Their stomping, their breathes in rhythm of their steps, the chatter of nobles residing in the castle as they raced past the doors... "Wooyoung!" The child paid no heed as the only goal in mind was to catch up to the faster male that had also blocked out the world. "Wooyoung!" "Prince!!!!" "Be careful!" "PRINCE! LOOK OUT! PLEASE WAKE UP!!" CRACK. 

The Ice Prince's lids flew open. That sound was too real to be only from his mind. And the brush of air from something- something sharp grazing his cheek. Wooyoung tentatively raised his white hand to his face and stared at the red essence. 'Blood...?' A blur of a shape similar to a red glove waved in front of him, and a satin silky smooth blanket pushed him back. Still caught up in the memories, the male did not recognize the firm body that was holding him safe. His reflexes triggered, and his slim neck twisted to freeze the offending person- "Relax! It's me... What were you doing?!? You could've gotten hurt!!!" The angry and anxious voice broke the prince's stance, his hand taking back the icy shards and cold aura seeping from his skin pores. "... Chansung." His voice came out pathetically weak, and Wooyoung hated himself for that. The face of his butler swam in to view- "- What were you thinking about? You could've been dead, that was obviously meant for you. Another attempt on your life without me next to you-" The bronze skinned man trailed off, one ungloved hand the Ice Prince's pale cheek with tenderness, surprise darkening the man's face. Wooyoung abruptly turned his head away from the act of kindness. "... You are hurt." The hushed words came out in a whisper, and a finger swiped gently at the wound. Wooyoung contained his whimper and stared at Chansung with unblinking eyes. He could feel the worry pouring off the other man in waves, and a pang of sorrow struck a chord within Wooyoung. Quickly, he slapped Chansung's hand away- watching with sad eyes and regreted relish as the taller man glimpsed at the Ice Princ

Please log in to read the full chapter