Timeout

Expressionless Ice Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

The Ice Prince

Wooyoung gazed at the board in front of him with a blank look. The tutor at the left side of the messy, filled board sighed. "... And that equals how the answer is 2,193,355.28390001." Wooyoung bit his inner cheek and sighed back, cold, unrelenting eyes swiveling with frost. "You forgot to add 0.00000005, tutor." His crisp, brittle words cut through the sullen atmosphere like a knife. His moist breath came out visible into the dry air. The tutor's gray eyes snap onto the relaxed figure and straightens- more wound up than a children's wooden play toy. "No. I added 0.0000005 in the very beginning. Are you not paying attention?" Wooyoung sits up straighter as well now, mirroring the moves of his opponent. "Maybe you're getting old, tutor." While his words might have had playfulness in the stitches of their outline for others; for this conversation it was not so. The tension in the room tightened the air, twisting it until it seemed near its breaking point. And after seconds of tense silence- break it did. The prince slid out of his chair, and took fast steps to the board. With pale fingers, Wooyoung plucked the chalk from the stiff hands of his tutor and swiftly wrote out new equations, and simple numbers. The tutor watched, aghast at the prince's attitude and rude behavior. With the color in the tutor's face draining rapidly of color, he spoke in a raspy voice- hardly concealing the boiling anger he felt. "If you will not act mature, Ice Prince, maybe you do not need a tutor to help your royal studies." The scratching of the white chalk came gradually to a stop, with a final curve of a perfect 0 on the board. "Are you suggesting I leave, tutor?" Wooyoung drops the short chalk onto the white floor, where the chalk breaks into pieces, dust blending into the floor. The more offended man pushes his glasses up his nose, fingers trembling slightly. "Do you not understand? Shall I repeat it for you?" His voice shakes with an emotional tremor that makes Wooyoung turn on his heels- abusing his brown boots- and out of the room that supports a wide open space for a door.

Once the Ice Prince is one step away from the spacious and stuffy study room, he explodes into an uncontrolled explosion of bits of crystalized water, ice chunks, and angry fragments of frozen water. In response, with unrestrained fury, the alone black haired man with a scar across his face picks up a mockingly glittering chair and throws it onto the floor with such force that the result sounds with a satisfying crunch. Knees weakened, he slips onto the floor, amidst broken pieces of the previously perfect gem that was turned into chair. The tutor in his early thirties lets out a strangled breath- hands rubbing the taunt face with weariness that should only be felt by elders who have lived over their healthy sixties. Clear glasses slide off of the slippery surface of the colorless face- black pupils staring at the place where Wooyoung once stood, and vanished. Eyes closed, a flash of a familiar, charming boy with a mop of messy, black hair and flushed cute cheeks dancing with another cheeky, bright eyed child with narrow eyes crosses his brain. A sigh inevitably rushes out, anguish making itself present. "How... Why... Did you become like this?" A pause. "Why would you you do it,-" The name disappears into a swirling mini blizzard, eating the taboo, exiled name. 

 

~Later

The prince exhales slowly as he checks past the clear windows of his kingdom- made of ice cubes and clear gems. The night had painted the sky a dark gray, and the stars were giving off a feeble light. The white moon was hidden- perfect for what Wooyoung was preparing to do. At that moment, the prince was supposedly practicing his dancing- in the company of his parents. Wooyoung scowled, face barely scrunching up, yet bare fingers scratching at the walls of his palace. He glanced around, before approaching and lifting the window he was near. His parents were dead. They were not there, yet his people thought they were alive. His teeth clamped together harshly, a cold breeze shifting through his restless fingers. Although it was the Ice Prince's decision to not let the villagers know, it still left a bitter taste in his clamped mouth.

Please log in to read the full chapter