Epilogue - A Year Later

The Secret Behind your Silence

Jaehwan rolled over in his sleep, looking for his lover. When his arms hit nothing but the empty bed he sighed and realized he was likely cooking breakfast. Despite how much he loved waking up to a freshly cooked meal by his beloved Taekwoon, he still wanted to be able to cuddle with the male sometimes in the morning.

Groaning he stood up and made his way into the kitchen, hugging his boyfriend from behind, “Can’t we go out for breakfast sometimes?”

“We can, but we’re going out for dinner tonight, so we should save on expenses,” Taekwoon replied simply.

Jaehwan sighed, remembering their promise. Since Wonshik and Hakyeon had started dating on the same day as them they decided that it was only proper that they spent their anniversary together. Then not wanting to be left out Hyuk and Hongbin, who had started dating the day after, were coming along too. It was basically a big pointless 1 year anniversary for the three couples. Sure it would be fun, but Jaehwan had wanted to spend the day with only Taekwoon.

Oh well there was no getting around it. When Hakyeon wanted something they were all supposed to comply. It was scary enough as his friend, he couldn’t imagine how Wonshik dealt with him on a daily basis.

“Before we go out tonight can we just hang around the house together?” Jaehwan asked. The only response he got was a nod, as his boyfriend continued his cooking.

Jaehwan sighed and thought, a lot had changed in 1 year for them. After that day they went to Taekwoon’s parents’ house Taekwoon had moved in with Jaehwan. He had felt bad before for not paying the rent or helping with the costs, but he now had a stable job teaching children to sing and was helping support the two as Jaehwan was finishing up his schooling.

Taekwoon had started to speak a lot more too. He was still getting used to it and would sometimes revert to using his cellphone or writing, but usually when it was just the two of them Taekwoon had no problems speaking. Outside was still a bit hard for him and often Taekwoon would rely on Jaehwan to speak and order things, but that didn’t bother Jaehwan at all. To him it was cute and allowed him to keep Taekwoon’s perfect voice all to himself.

Jaehwan smiled, realizing just how blessed he was to have his boyfriend in his life. “Taekwoon,” He called out, still hugging the other male.

“Hmm?” Taekwoon mumbled as he turned to face his boyfriend. Instead of an answer though Jaehwan just kissed the older male, making the kiss last a bit longer than it should have.

“I love you,” Jaehwan said. With another quick peck on the lips, Jaehwan sat down and eagerly awaited the food that was being cooked by his now completely red boyfriend. Despite how long they had been together Taekwoon always blushed and had the cutest reactions to any kind of skinship, something that Jaehwan exploited on a daily basis.

---

“We really have to celebrate our anniversary with everyone else?” Wonshik asked, obviously sulking about the situation.

“Of course we do. We went out last night and celebrated by ourselves, so tonight is for everyone to get together,” Hakyeon explained.

“It’s not the same though. The day before and the actual day are very different,” Wonshik tried to reason.

Hakyeon just sighed and kissed his boyfriend, something that obviously surprised him. “I know but we should still celebrate with everyone, don’t you want to see them?” he asked.

Wonshik nodded his head reluctantly, but refused to back down, “I do, but we could have celebrated with them yesterday and today could have just been us. That would have been better.”

Hakyeon nodded and moved so he was now sitting on Wonshik’s lap and staring at him. “I’m sorry, I didn’t think about that. It’s too late to change this year, so let’s do it next year instead, okay?” he said, with each word moving closer and closer to Wonshik’s face.

Seeing the close proximity of his lover’s face Wonshik gave up and kissed the other man, “Fine.” He had admitted defeat.

“I love you, you’re the best!” Hakyeon said with a smile as he kissed his boyfriend again, this time wrapping his arms around his neck.

“I can’t win against you I guess,” Wonshik said as he hugged his boyfriend, bringing him in even closer. “Can I at least have you with me all day today instead?”

Hakyeon nodded happily. “Oh wait, I have to go get something,” he said as he scrambled out of Wonshik’s grip and headed off to their bedroom, which they shared ever since Hakyeon had moved in half a year ago.

Hakyeon happily returned with a rather large, but beautifully wrapped box in his hands. “This is for you. I planned to give it to you at dinner tonight, but I figure now is better,” he said as he handed over the box to Wonshik.

Wonshik was obviously confused, the two had already exchanged presents for their anniversary yesterday, so this was unexpected. “Can I open it?” he asked.

“Of course you can,” Hakyeon laughed.

Wonshik nodded and slowly began unwrapping the present. After unwrapping it fully he just stared at the large, completely unmarked box. When he opened that too though his eyes widened, completely surprised. Inside was various equipment needed to record and make music. Lately Wonshik had been saying he wanted better equipment, but he hadn’t expected his boyfriend to buy it.

“I wasn’t sure what all you needed, so I asked for some help with picking it out. If there’s anything you don’t need or if you want a better model or something we can go back to the store and exchange it,” Hakyeon said with a smile.

Wonshik immediately placed the box next to him and hugged his boyfriend, kissing him endlessly. “You didn’t have to do this. I have nothing to give you in return,” he said, feeling a bit bad.

“Take it as a sign of gratitude for putting up with me and my selfishness for a year. Plus I want to spoil you sometimes,” Hakyeon said with a smile.

Wonshik nodded and smiled as well, “I knew I had the best boyfriend in the world.”

“No you don’t. I do,” Hakyeon said before he started to laugh.

“I guess that’s true,” Wonshik agreed as he kissed his boyfriend.

“You’re not supposed to agree. Shouldn’t you argue that I’m better?” Hakyeon complained.

“I’m sorry. Of course you’re the best in the world,” Wonshik agreed, kissing his boyfriend once more.

---

“Hyuk, are you ready to go?” Hongbin asked as he opened the door to what the two considered their ‘study room’. Since Hyuk had managed to get accepted into a university he had become really serious about his studies and wanted to learn even more about the world.

“I just finished my homework. Let’s go,” Hyuk said with a smile.

“Good job. I should learn from you now. On how to be a good student,” Hongbin said jokingly.

Hyuk nodded, “You should. I never see you do homework.”

Hongbin laughed and grabbed the boy, pulling him close, “I just want to spend more time with you so I do it while you sleep.”

“Are you okay? You're being more cheesy than usual,” Hyuk said, playfully putting his hand on Hongbin’s forehead to ‘check his temperature’.

“Of course I’m not. It’s been almost a year since I started dating the most perfect person I know of. I’m full of way too much excitement,” Hongbin said as he grabbed Hyuk’s hand and kissed it.

Hyuk blushed at the gesture. “Shouldn’t I be saying that to you? No one can compare to you in terms of handsomeness,” he said jokingly.

“That’s true. You’re so lucky, but I’m luckier since I have the cutest boyfriend in the world,” Hongbin said as he leaned in to kiss said boyfriend.

Hyuk blushed once again at the gesture, “Well I guess we’re just a lucky couple.”

Hongbin smiled and just hugged Hyuk, happy to just keep him close. Ever since Hyuk had moved in with him a year ago he had become much happier. Sure he had been happy before as well, but having a boyfriend around to be with and share everything with was a happiness he hadn’t experienced before.

Hyuk just relaxed as he hugged Hongbin before he spoke up, “As weird as it is I feel it is almost a good thing I went into a coma. When I was younger I could never imagine my life being as happy as I am now. I love you Hongbin.”

“I love you too Hyuk,” Hongbin said as he once again kissed the younger.

Afterwards the two just clasped each other’s hands and stared at one another. Neither said anything, and they didn’t have to. They were just enjoying the presence of the other person. To them it was the ultimate happiness they could experience at that moment.

After who knows how long Hyuk finally spoke up, “What time is it?”

Hongbin blinked and checked his watch, “5:45. We were supposed to leave 15 minutes ago. Let’s get going.”

Hyuk laughed and nodded, “Let’s just take our time. They can wait a bit.”

Hongbin thought for a moment before speaking, “I agree, but we shouldn’t be too late. Come on.”

With a final kiss the two headed out of their apartment, still holding hands.

---

When Hongbin and Hyuk arrived at the restaurant the other 4 were already seated and waiting for them.

“You two are so slow,” Hakyeon complained as soon as he saw the pair.

“Sorry, Hyuk was finishing up some homework before we came here,” Hongbin lied.

Hakyeon just nodded, not completely convinced by the reason, but he wouldn’t say anything.

The 6 chatted and enjoyed their dinner, especially since it had been a while since they had been all together. Somehow the dinner seemed to go by incredibly fast since the 6 of them never seemed to run out of things to talk about.

“Should we get going? It’s pretty late,” Wonshik said after he checked the time.

Jaehwan nodded, “Let me go to the washroom first, okay?”

“Of course go ahead. We’ll wait for you to finish,” Hongbin said.

The 5 remaining at the table continued to sit and chat for a few minutes, waiting for Ken to return. “Oh Taekwoon close your eyes for a bit,” Hakyeon said.

Taekwoon complied but he couldn’t help but wonder what this was for. The others also looked at Hakyeon in confusion, but after he pointed to Ken, who was now approaching the table, they all understood.

After a minute of no one saying anything Taekwoon opened his eyes, now fed up with whatever this game was. Instead of seeing Hakyeon like he thought he would though he saw Jaehwan with a cake in his hands. On the cake were the words ‘Taekwoon. Happy Anniversary.”

Taekwoon immediately smiled and looked up at Ken. “What’s this? Thank you,” he said.

“Meeting you was a great fortune in my life. Now blow out the candles, my love,” Jaehwan said as he held the cake out to Taekwoon, who of course complied with the request.

Taekwoon smiled, figuring that now everyone would sit down and the 6 of them would eat the cake and enjoy each other’s company a bit more, but it didn’t end there.

Once more Jaehwan spoke up, ”The only thing I can do is to love you even more. There might be times when I hurt you, but please know this one thing, just like always, just like now I love you, you’re everything to me. Even after ten years, it’ll be like only one day has passed. I won’t change, I’ll make your heart race every day. I promise you, my love.

“It still feels like a dream, an angel is looking at me and smiling, like this. Even if I yell I love you endlessly, it’s not enough. Lonely and hard days won’t be scary if we’re together. I’ll give you things that always overflow. Thank you so much, thank you for being by my side. I am born again because I met you. Taekwoon will you marry me?”

Taekwoon just stared at the man in front of him, remembering all the happy times the two of them had spent together over the past year, how Jaehwan had helped him even when they had just began dating. It was thanks to Jaehwan that he was who he currently was. There was no way he could imagine his life without the man in front of him now. Somehow his mouth didn’t seem to work and all Taekwoon could do was nod as tears began to roll down his face.

Jaehwan smiled and pulled a ring out of his pocket, placing it on Taekwoon’s finger. “I promise I’ll make you happy. I love you Taekwoon,” he said as he stared at the beautiful man before him.

All Taekwoon could do was nod and hug Jaehwan.

The two had been in a world of their own until they heard clapping behind them, coming from their 4 friends.

As the two separated Taekwoon looked up at the faces of the 5 people that surrounded him. A year ago he could have never imagined this would happen. Back then he had been a recluse who didn’t talk or deal with people. Though here he was a year later with his best friend, his younger brother, his boyfriend, and 2 irreplaceable friends. It was like a dream. Jaehwan had mentioned how he was ‘born again’ because he met Taekwoon, but if anything it was Taekwoon that had been born again. It was because he had managed to meet Jaehwan that he had changed and he was infinitely thankful to the man. Those words would have to be saved for later though. It was something Taekwoon wanted only Jaehwan to hear.

Instead he glanced at the ring now on his finger, it was simple and not anything fancy but the meaning was so much more. It was now the proof that him and Jaehwan would be together forever.

With all these happy thoughts swirling in his head Taekwoon couldn’t help crying once again.

“Oh Taekwoon, I hope these are happy tears,” Hakyeon said as he walked over to his friend and hugged him. “I can’t believe you had this happen to you before me, but I’m so happy for you my friend. If you have a wedding, you have to invite me okay?”

Hyuk was the next one to join in on this hug, “Taekwoon! I’m so happy for you. I’m going to have another brother now I guess. Please don’t forget me, okay? I still love you the most.”

Wonshik was the next to join, “I’m happy for you two. I wish you two are able to find lots of happiness together. Now I have to work on beating Jaehwan’s proposal though.”

“Congratulations to you both. As we’ll all be family someday I hope the two of you are able to have tons of happiness,” Hongbin said as he joined in on this too.

Jaehwan just smiled at the sight of his boyfriend surrounded by the four. It was a scene that touched Jaehwan too. It was proof of Taekwoon’s hard work over the past year in dealing with everything he had gone through. When they had first started dating Jaehwan would have never been able to imagine this scene, but he was much happier it had turned out this way. Watching Taekwoon change every day was a secret source of happiness to him and he hoped he could continue to see the man change and become even happier.

With those thoughts Jaehwan joined in on the hug and secretly hoped that these happy times would never come to an end and the 6 of them could be happy forever.

 

[A/N] Just a fluff chapter~ Haha. Hope you guys enjoyed it. With this my first fanfic is officially complete. Thank you all for reading this far and I hope you liked the ending. \(^o^)/ 

P.S. Bonus points to anyone who notices VIXX reference in this chapter. Or sort of a reference. Haha.