Chapter 1 - Cafe Interactions

The Secret Behind your Silence

“Taekwoon!” a voice called as they shook the male sleeping on the bed, “If you don’t wake up now you’ll be late for your classes.”

The boy sleeping just shook off the hand and continued to try and sleep, blatantly ignoring the other male.

“Why don’t you care? Wake up! It’s already 8!” the other male shouted, shaking the male even more.

The sleeping male sat up slowly and while glaring at the other person in the room grabbed his cellphone and without a single word, showed the screen to the male, pointing at the date – Saturday.

The other male was obviously confused. He hadn’t expected this. How he had not noticed the date was a mystery, but it didn’t bother him. “Well wake up anyway. Let’s go play. We haven’t gone out together in a long time. Come on, up, up, up” he said as he grabbed Taekwoon’s arm and dragged him up before slowly pushing him towards the washroom.

Once inside, and the door closed by Hakyeon on the other side, Taekwoon just sighed and slowly began preparing for his day. After he had finished everything he wrapped a towel around his waist and walked outside, ignoring the stares his best friend was giving him.

“I forgot to give you new clothes! I’m so sorry! Though I think you got more muscles since the last time I saw you. It’s unfair. I work out and dance every day but I don’t have muscles like you. Just fat,” the red headed male complained.

Taekwoon just ignored his friend’s words and got dressed quickly. With a sigh he looked at his friend, contemplating if he really had to go out today or if he could just sleep some more.

Before he had a chance to move to his bed though his friend grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the door, “You look perfect. Super handsome today. I figure we should start by getting some breakfast. You’re probably starving right? I know this perfect little cafe close by. Their food is delicious. I’m sure you’ll love it. Let’s go, okay?”

---

“Why do such things as shifts starting at 7 am exist? We’ve been here over an hour and no one has shown up,” Wonshik complained as he half laid down on the counter at the cafe. He had been up late writing lyrics and hadn’t slept until 5 am. He had barely slept for an hour before he had to come to work.

“It’s not that bad,” Jaehwan said as he smiled happily.

The other male glared at him, “Why are you so happy? This is an ungodly hour of the morning. How can you only emit happiness?” he snapped at the other male.

“I’m just more optimistic than you. Plus what if that cute red haired guy comes today. Then you’ll be way happier, right?” he teased. He knew how Wonshik had the biggest crush on one of their regular customers. He came every other day, but the time he came was never regular. Sometimes he would come early to eat breakfast, or for a snack in the middle of the day or even an hour before they closed for a quick cup of coffee. That irregularity made it almost impossible for Wonshik to see him, so every time he did he was automatically much happier.

Even at the mention of his crush Wonshik blushed and seemed to be a bit more alert, “Do you think he’ll come today?” While Wonshik knew next to nothing about his crush, he hadn’t even found out his name, he had talked to him many times every time he came in. He was currently studying dance in university and one day wanted to become a dance instructor. Seeing someone else so interested in music had drawn Wonshik in faster than he cared to admit.

Right before Jaehwan had a chance to answer the door opened and in came the very person they had been discussing, the cute red haired boy. Wonshik’s heart skipped a beat but before he could say anything in walked another guy with him. He had black hair, sharp facial features and seemed incredibly cold. As the two sat down together all Wonshik could do was stare blankly at Jaehwan, as if all his dreams had been crushed in that moment.

“They probably aren’t dating. Go talk to them,” Jaehwan whispered as he pushed Wonshik out into the dining area.

Wonshik slowly made his way over to the two and slipped two menus in front of them. “Good morning. My name is Wonshik and I’m your server today. Please take your time with the menu and call me over when you’re ready to order,” he said with a forced smile.

Before he could turn and leave though the red haired guy began talking with him, “You look tired today. Were you up writing again?” Wonshik had only shared his aspiration of wanting to be a rapper with the red haired guy, since he felt it was a kind of bond between the two of them, but somehow talking about it in front of possibly his boyfriend was a bit off-putting for Wonshik.

“Yep. This time it should be great. When I’m done I might start sending out mix tapes and try to get picked up by a company,” Wonshik said. Even if he didn’t want to talk about it in front of the other guy he still wanted to talk with his crush.

“Really? That’s great. I’d love to hear it sometime,” his crush said with a smile on his face.

“Sure. When I finish it I’ll let you know,” Wonshik responded. Having his crush hear his song was embarrassing, but he wanted to know what the male would think of it.

“Awesome. I can’t wait. Oh wait do you have your cellphone on you right now?” his crush asked.

“Yeah I do,” Wonshik said, a bit confused as he pulled it out of his pocket.

Without asking his crush grabbed it and began typing something on it. When he was done he handed it back to Wonshik and smiled happily, “I put my number in there. You have to make sure to tell me when you finish okay? I’ll come out any time to hear it.”

Wonshik stared with disbelief at his phone before breaking out in a smile. “Sure. I’ll let you two look through the menu now,” he said as he walked off. Just staring at the name and number in his phone. Cha Hakyeon. Even the guy’s name was cute.

Seeing the whole interaction take place Jaehwan couldn’t help but laugh a bit. Wonshik interacting with his crush was always incredibly cute. Now though his attention had turned to Wonshik’s crush and the man with him. While he had always made fun of Wonshik for falling in love at first sight with the red haired boy, he now understood since he felt an incredibly strong attraction to the black haired guy sitting there.

As Wonshik joined him behind the counter the two ended up just staring at the only other pair in the cafe.

“Taekwoon, what do you want to eat? It’s all delicious. So my recommendation is everything here. Please buy it all for me!” Hakyeon said, trying his best to use aegyo with the other male. While Taekwoon was obviously not affected, Wonshik, behind the counter, was trying his best to contain himself and not start bringing out all the food they had.

Taekwoon just glared at the other male, causing Hakyeon to laugh, “I know, I know. I’m older than you. It’s only by a few months though, we’re still born in the same year. You can treat me sometimes though!” His dialogue was cut short by another glare from the male, “Fine. I know I don’t treat you ever. As thanks for your delicious cooking all the time I’ll buy you breakfast this one time, alright?”

The other male just nodded and looked back at the menu. At this point Hakyeon blinked in confusion, “Did you just trick me? You’re trying to guilt me! Don’t accept these things so quickly!” With his friend’s random outburst Taekwoon just stared at him, which seemed to calm Hakyeon down fairly quickly, “Okay. I know. You’re not the type to trick me. I’ll still buy you breakfast.”

For the next few minutes the two looked at their respective menus and tried to decide what to eat. Eventually Taekwoon tapped the other male and pointed to a few things on the menu. Afterwards Hakyeon looked up and smiled at Wonshik. “We’re ready to order now!” he said happily.

Wonshik slowly made his way over, still trying to figure out the relationship between the two. It was confusing. It seemed Hakyeon understood this ‘Taekwoon’ with just a simple glance, considering that the other male hadn’t said anything during their conversation, which definitely did not seem like a thing just normal friends would be able to do. Plus this ‘Taekwoon’ cooked for Hakyeon on what seemed to be a fairly regular basis, another thing that just friends wouldn’t do normally.

“We’ll take 2 of the breakfast combos. One with green tea to drink and one with a latte,” Hakyeon said with a smile.

“Alright. I’ll bring it out when it’s ready then.” Wonshik said before leaving to tell the kitchen the order.

When he returned him and Jaehwan began making the drinks, while also watching the pair dining together. The black haired male had pulled out his cellphone and after typing something quickly showed it to Hakyeon, leaving the two servers to wonder what he had written.

Soon enough their question was answered by Hakyeon speaking up, “I do. Since it’s really close to your place I come every time I go to see you. The coffee I bring you all the time is from here. It’s delicious right?”

Wonshik stopped moving as he heard Hakyeon talk. So he went to this guy’s house every other day and bought him coffee. It was all clicking now. The two were most likely dating. Something that stung a bit.

“You should come on your own sometimes too. You can’t rely on me all the time you know? I’ll introduce you to some other nice places sometime, okay?” Hakyeon said with a smile. Taekwoon just nodded silently as he began to glance around the cafe.

At this point the drinks were done so Wonshik came back out, now a bit more slowly. He felt heartbroken. His crush had a boyfriend and he had to watch the two flirt. “Your drinks are ready. Who is the green tea for?” he asked, trying his best to act normal.

“That’s mine!” Hakyeon said happily.

After placing the green tea down Wonshik spoke one more time, “So the latte is for your…” at this point he stopped talking, not wanting to admit the word that followed that – boyfriend.

“Oh he’s my childhood friend. As you can tell he’s gloomy and doesn’t interact with others. I’m the only friend he has really. I have to go visit him every couple of days or he’ll just sit in his apartment by himself and do nothing. It’s so boring. He needs some human interaction,” Hakyeon explained while laughing. Taekwoon was obviously not pleased by the introduction and glared at his friend. Wonshik on the other hand though was insanely happy. He tried to not show it as he placed the cup down and nodded at Hakyeon.

“I see. The food should be ready in a bit. So please enjoy your drinks for now,” he said, trying his best to seem calm. Though as soon as he turned away a giant grin broke out on his face as he stared at Jaehwan. His crush was actually boyfriendless it seemed, something that Wonshik was a bit too thrilled about.

Instead of stopping behind the counter Wonshik headed to the backroom, which Jaehwan assumed was to try and calm down a bit after finding out this information. Unfortunately for Wonnshik though, during the time he was gone the food came out. So Jaehwan grabbed the food and happily took it over to the two diners.

“Wonshik is a bit busy in the back now, so I brought these out. Please enjoy. If you need anything please let me know!” he said with a smile. As he was talking he felt a stare and looked over to see ‘Taekwoon’ staring at him. For what reason though he had no idea, so he decided to try and talk with him.

“It’s nice to meet you. Your friend here comes by all the time so I’m familiar with him. My name is Jaehwan. Can you tell me your name?” He asked.

At this point Hakyeon spoke up instead, “Sorry he’s shy and doesn’t talk to people usually. His name is Taekwoon. Oh and my name is Hakyeon.”

“I see. You both have nice names. I hope to see you around sometime Taekwoon. You’re always welcome. Even if you don’t want to talk you’re free to point at the menu and I’ll understand it that way. Oh I’m here on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at night and then usually Saturday and Sunday from the morning until 1 or 2 in the afternoon. If you want to come when I’m working. Wonshik is the same as me, but sometimes he works in the afternoon on Saturday and Sunday, so you’re free to come whenever. The two of us will work hard to help you so come frequently, okay?” Jaehwan explained, without realizing how much he had actually just said.

Taekwoon merely nodded in response before starting to eat his food, something that Jaehwan took as a sign to head back to work.

As the two were eating the cafe slowly started to fill with people and sadly there were no more chances for interaction between them. All Jaehwan remembered was seeing Taekwoon glance at him before him and Hakyeon left the cafe. It was a glance that made Jaehwan wish Taekwoon would come back to the cafe quickly.

 

[A/N] Chapter 1! It's kind of a prologue I guess? Just Taekwoon and Jaehwan meeting for the first time. Also with some Navi in there. Next chapter will be Hongbin and Hyuk and then the main story will start kind of.