Unexpected Date

To Trouble Thee

It was unusual for Dasom to willingly leave her friends alone at lunch and to go to the third floor, where the third-years were at. She held her nose high and began to walk in the wall, ignoring the sneers and remarks that the third-years made for her intruding their territory. She didn't really care, though. If she started caring, then she wouldn't be the same proud Dasom anymore.

She approached a specific room and opened the door. A couple of third-years looked at her, waiting for her to say something. She ignored them and looked around the classroom herself. At the center of the room, she saw Baekhyun and Myungsoo surrounded by several girls their age. Dasom frowned, but walked towards the duo. It was Myungsoo who first caught sight of her. He beamed and smiled at her, gently pushing the girls away to the side so that he could get a better look at Dasom.

"Dasom! You came!" Myungsoo exclaimed enthusiastically.

"I got Baekhyun's text," Dasom said. "I didn't come for you."

"Well if you came for me, then you came for Myungsoo, too," Baekhyun said. He looked at the other girls. "Pardon us, ladies."

The girls giggled and scattered. Dasom gaped at Baekhyun, impressed with how easily he could deal with the girls. Then, after another second, she frowned.

"Were you just flirting with girls when you have a girlfriend?" she asked him.

"We have an on-and-off relationship. Right now we're off. She's trying to make me jealous by dating another guy," Baekhyun said. He grinned. "Isn't that cute?"

"Whatever. Why did you call me? You said it was an emegerncy." She paused. "Shouldn't you guys study for your college exams?"

"I need to study, but not Myungsoo. He's a genius."

Myungsoo blushed. "Baekhyun, stop. You're embarrassing me."

Dasom's eyes sparkled. "No way. He gets embarrassed when you mention that he's a genius?"

"He always gets red when he's flattered. He can't handle compliments," Baekhyun revealed, smirking at Myungsoo.

Dasom stared at him into his brown orbs. "You look really fine today, Myung—" She stopped and widened her eyes when Myungsoo turned even more red. Her heart skipped a beat. "Oh my gosh. He really does get red!"

"No, that's because the girl he likes is flirting with him," Baekhyun said. He yelped in pain when Myungsoo kicked his foot under the table. "Hey, at least thank me that I got her to say something good about you! Sheesh, the things I do for you two…"

"Shut up. You almost ruined our relationship before," Myungsoo muttered, glarng at him.

"Was that me? I'm sorry, I don't remember."

Myungsoo growled while Baekhyun tuned a happy whistle. Dasom looked at Myungsoo a bit longer, then looked back at Baekhyun.

"The text," she reminded him.

"Oh! Right!" Baekhyun elbowed Myungsoo's arm. "Actually, he wanted to call you, but he was sure that you'd ignore him if he sent you a text. So, in reality, you did come for him."

Dasom gave Myungsoo a judgmental look. "Okay, I might be mean to you, but I'm not that mean anymore, am I?"

"Let's not get involved in that kind of conversation," Myungsoo said. Dasom dropped her jaws while he fished out his phone and checked a text. "What do you think about dating younger guys?"

Huh? Dasom gave him a bewildered look. "Dating younger guys? Um, I've dated them before…?"

"Alright, so I'll just skip to the point. Do you want to go on a date?"

Dasom blinked her eyes, looking at him for a long time. "A-A date?"

Myungsoo, hearing her stutter, looked up at saw her pink cheeks. He quickly turned even more red when he realized his wordings were misleading. He nervously rubbed the back of his neck and cleared his throat.

"U-Um, no, not m-m-me," Myungsoo stuttered. Although that would be nice. "He's a first year and a transfer student. He said that he wanted to go on a date with you."

Dasom scrunched her eyebrows. Why was he telling her this? Didn't he say that he liked her? If he truly liked her, then why would he set her up with someone?

"Is this some kind of test or a trap?" Dasom asked Baekhyun. The boy shrugged his shoulders. "Come on, Baekhyun. Tell me!"

"Honestly, I don't know. Myungsoo suddenly met this guy when he was on his way to school, and the guy asked him to ask you to go on a date. If anything, I would say to not go on that date," Baekhyun advised.

"Baekhyun, don't do everything for her. When it comes to these types of things, she needs to make the decision on her own," Myungsoo pointed out.

But why is he setting me up on a date? I thought he liked me! she thought, still puzzled. She let out a small gasp when Myungsoo looked back at her.

"So? Are you going on that date or not?" Myungsoo asked her.

Dasom wasn't sure where he was trying to go with this. Something in her told her not to go, but her daily habits got the best of her. She took a deep breath, then nodded her head while painfully looking away from Myungsoo's gaze.

"I'll go," she answered.

"Alright. I'll send you the location and time through text, so you better read it," Myungsoo said.

"O-Okay," Dasom muttered. She started walking away, but stopped to look back. Myungsoo was already texting the other party that she had agreed to go on the date. She let out a huge sigh, but stopped herself. Wait a minute. Why am I sighing? I should be happy! I should be enthusiastic! I'm meeting some other guy who might be a good candidate for me!

With a heavy heart and a fake smile, she marched away from the two, faking her anticipation for the date.

 

"What does it mean when a guy says that he likes you, but then he sets you up with some other guy?"

"Are we talking about Myungsoo setting you up on a date?" asked Junhee, studying some music sheets.

Dasom's eyes widened. "How did you know that?"

"Baekhyun told Jieun and she told all of us," Eunji informed her.

"News sure spread fast," Dasom muttered.

"He's probably being nice," Eunji said. "He's a pretty nice guy."

"Or maybe it's a prank. Maybe he's just setting you up with some ugly guy that he knows you're going to scream at," Byunghun said. He snickered, but groaned when Dasom gave him a good punch on the arm.

"I'm serious, Byunghun. I really want to understand what this means!" she exclaimed in a desperate manner.

"Doesn't that mean he doesn't like you anymore?" Junhee reasoned. She paused, then looked at Dasom's confused expression. "What? People move on with life." When she saw Dasom's frown, she dropped her jaws. "You couldn't possibly be thinking that he was going to mull over you just like your other boyfriends. Think about it, Dasom. This guy has been with you since you're first boyfriend. Imagine all the hardships he endured during those time of seeing you love another man, and when he finally confesses, he gets rejected. Don't you think that would be a good time to move on?"

Dasom bit her bottom lip. "I… I guess…?"

"I say just go on that date and end it quick," Byunghun said. "You've done that before, right?"

"But I still don't know why Myungsoo set me up on a date when he said he likes me—"

"Do you need to know?" Eunji pointed out. Dasom opened , then shook her head. "If you don't, it's best to not go into it." She stopped at the middle of an intersection. "I'm going this way today."

"What? I thought you were going to come with us to Dasom's place?" Byunghun reminded her.

"I did, but then someone else got plans for me," Eunji said, checking her phone. "Actually, Daehyun set me up on a blind date, too."

Dasom's eyes sparkled. "You're going on a date? Why didn't you say so? Come on, let's go together! I want to see this guy—"

"No, no, no," Eunji said, shaking her head. "I'm going there just to say that this is a mistake and I'm not ready to move on yet. Besides, shouldn't you be thinking more about your situation?"

With that, Eunji left the three alone, leaving a dumbfounded Dasom to pursue her own problems.

 

On the day of her date, Dasom found herself standing in front of the meeting place. She tapped her foot against the concrete, furrowing her eyebrows and constantly glanced at the clock. Her date was late, and she was already prepared to flat-out dump him on the spot.

But why did Myungsoo still set me up? she wondered, frowning. She was sure that this was some sort of prank, especially since she was standing alone with people staring at her. She noticed a few guys giving her interested glances, but her sharp gaze scared them off. Why did Myungsoo set me up? Doesn't he like me? He said he likes me, right?

"That frown doesn't look very pleasant," a voice from behind said. It was a voice that she could not recognize. She whirled around and blinked her eyes. A younger man stood behind her, giving her a quirky grin. "Hello, Dasom."

"Um… Hi," Dasom muttered. He wasn't exactly an attractive guy. He had thick lips and eyes that seemed to look straight at her. She looked around, then stared at him. "You're supposed to be my date?"

"A date?" The man laughed. "No, this isn't a date at all! I wouldn't date someone like you."

Dasom turned bright red. Damn it, Kim Myungsoo! I'll kill you when I get home!

"However, I do have some business that I would like to—"

"Nope. I'm done. You made me wait five minutes out here and I'm not going anywhere with a man who's late. You should've been here at least ten minutes ago," Dasom told him. She was about to leave until the boy grabbed her wrist.

"Oh, please don't!" the boy exclaimed. "I just wanted to talk to you about your fellow friend. I believe her name is Junhee, yes? The one who can play piano?"

Dasom stopped. "What do you want with Junhee? Do you want me to call her?"

The boy stepped back and pointed to the small café. "Let's talk inside. I'll pay."

She was ready to refuse, but closed her lips when she heard his last two words. She quickly nodded. She wasn't going to let her bad mood get in the way of a free meal. Besides, he looked like really wanted to talk about Junhee.

Dasom followed him inside the café. The two found themselves a free spot, far away from the small stage at the opposite end of the wall. She frowned for a moment, feeling some kind of nostalgic vibe.

"This place looks kind of familiar," Dasom mumbled.

"Oh, you've been here? This is the place where Junhee comes and performs for the guests. Her aunt owns this place," the boy said.

Dasom gasped and widened her eyes. "I remember being here! I was here with Myungsoo and the two of us were on a double date with Taemin and Soojung!" She paused, then sighed. "Things change pretty quickly nowadays…"

"Life is always changing. I'll go place our orders. What sandwich do you want to eat and what do you want to drink?"

She told him her order and he went up to get them. A few minutes later, he came back with a tray of sandwiches and two cups of coffee. He placed them down on the table and handed her the meal. She quietly thanked him, suspiciously glanced at her food and at his smile, then bit into his sandwich.

"I haven't gotten your name yet," Dasom remembered. "What's your name, and how do you know Myungsoo?"

"Call me Niel," Niel said, still grinning at her. "I'm a first year at your school and I just transfered. I noticed that it's hard to approach Junhee's group of friends, so I naturally went to my second source. Out of all of the second sources, Myungsoo seemed to be the one who was most open and would allow me to meet someone in your circle."

"I see," she muttered, sipping her coffee. "Okay. So I see that your target is Junhee." She glared at him. "What do you want to do with my friend?"

Niel smiled even wider. "Is Junhee dating anyone?"

Was she? Dasom wondered. "I'm not sure. Go ask her."

"Okay, then that was the wrong question to ask," Niel muttered to himself. He looked back at her. "Does she have a crush on anyone?"

Dasom kept quiet. "I'm not in the position to answer that kind of question."

"Then is she dating Taemin?"

Dasom's eyes widened. "What? Hell no! Ew! No! Taemin and Junhee would never date each other!"

"Is it so bad to date Taemin?"

"You don't understand! Junhee deserves someone so much better than Taemin! Besides, Junhee wouldn't even stand Taemin. He's not a musical guy. He's all about the logic and the book-smart stuff."

"Then is she dating Chanyeol?" Niel asked, his eyes still on Dasom.

Dasom frowned. "What?"

"Is she dating Chanyeol?" he repeated.

"I don't think so… Why?" Dasom asked him.

"So those two are just friends?"

"Something like that."

"Hm… So in other words, he's just a nuisance," Niel concluded.

"Wait, hold up. Back up for a second. I didn't say anything like that—"

"Thank you very much, Dasom!" Niel exclaimed, getting up. "I've decided that I should go talk to Junhee. Thank you."

Shouldn't you have done that in the first place? she wondered. "Um, yeah. No problem…?"

The boy bowed at her and left the café. Dasom sat at her seat, once again dumbfounded at what just happened, wondering if she had brought her friend more trouble or some good.

 

Day 192 - Dasom
I went on a stupid and dumb date. Gonna kill Myungsoo later.