The Artist

To Trouble Thee

Junhee blankly stared down at the journal. It was now Tuesday, and she didn't have the slightest hint on where to start. When she looked at Dasom's entry, it was short and simple, and (somewhat) encouraging. However, Dasom had a lot going on in her life. She had a potential relationship with her neighbor and was very popular.

Compared to her, Junhee was…abnormal. She didn't stand out in the crowd, and no one really liked her. The red-haired lady was almost impossible to speak with. There was never a moment when Junhee's sharp tongue didn't hurt anyone, and she never really thought to apologize for the blunt way she spoke. In her perspective, if people didn't like her, then people didn't like her. There was no reason to force love into someone's heart when they didn't want it.

Maybe I should just write what I did this morning, she thought, flipping the journal to the second page. She figured that she should at least write something since Dasom would be furious if she didn't.

Before Junhee had the chance to grab her pencil, Dasom appeared out of nowhere. The leader of the group grabbed ahold of Junhee's hand, catching her attention in a blink of an eye.

"Junhee! Guess what? Guess what?" Dasom asked.

"What…"

"Okay, so you remember about how yesterday, one guy's name wasn't called right? Remember how we thought it was ridiculous that he didn't come to the first day of school? Well, apparently he's coming today! Some people saw him, and they said that he's really tall!" Dasom paused, then flashed her a grin. "If I remember correctly, I haven't dated a tall guy yet. Maybe I should ask him out–"

"Teacher's here," Junhee interrupted, looking up at the door. Dasom's and Junhee's homeroom teacher, Mr. Park, walked into the room with an annoyed expression. Dasom quickly scurried to the front row, where she sat right in front of the teacher. Junhee sat several rows behind her, but she liked how she was far away from her friend. It gave her a little more time to think.

"Okay, good morning students!" Mr. Park hollered. The class greeted him back with a loud, clear tone. "I will be calling your names. Kim..."

The list went on for quite some time, and every student answered to their name. However, one particular name was mentioned twice.

"Park Chanyeol! Park Chanyeol, is he not here today again?" Mr. Park repeated. The twisted expression came back.

Junhee heaved a quiet sigh, tired of hearing the same name.

Park Chanyeol, Park Chanyeol. Why can't he make the mornings easier and come early? Junhee wondered, tapping her pencil against the second page of the journal.

Just then, there was a knock on the window. Everyone looked up from their desks, and stared to their right, where a large, tall tree stood. Their mouths gaped wide open when they saw a tall boy with large ears give them a silly grin. Mr. Park remained calm, and he went to the window and yanked it open.

The student swooped into the classroom, landing perfectly on his feet. He inhaled the air, then breathed out while putting his hands on his hip.

"Yep, this classroom definitely smells better!" the strange boy exclaimed. He turned to the teacher. "Mr. Park, do we have more girls in this class–"

Smack!

A thin book was thrown across the back of the boy's curly hair. He whimpered innocently, but Mr. Park showed no mercy.

"Park Chanyeol," he finally named, "you're late! If you want to graduate as soon as possible, I suggest spending more time in the classroom instead of the art room, understand? There is a time for everything, but you must study when it's time to study!"

Chanyeol scowled. "It's not my fault that the school made me repeat one year..."

"Park Chanyeol! Get back to your seat!"

Not another word escaped out of Chanyeol's lips. He strolled over to an empty desk, and happily took his seat in the back. Mr. Park went back to the teacher's desk, then sighed. He glanced over at the students, and tried to smile at them.

"Good morning, class of 2-B. It's a pleasure being your homeroom teacher. Now, since everyone is here, why don't we go ahead and introduce ourselves? Just state your name, and give us one comment you would like the entire class to know. Let's start with you there at the corner... Kim Dasom, yes?" Mr. Park asked, looking back down at the student's list.

Dasom stood up, straightening her skirt. She gave everyone a flirtatious grin, swooning some of the innocent boys' hearts. Junhee stared in envy, wanting to have Dasom's unique charm and confidence.

"My name is Kim Dasom, and I'm currently single! My goal is to become a woman who can work with her own power!" Dasom said proudly. She smirked when a few of the classmates gave her an encouraging clap. She sat back down, and the student next to her went up.

As the minutes passed by, students would stand up, share a word or two, and sit back down. When it was finally Junhee's turn, she stood up with buckling knees. Yet, her facial expression was calm and there wasn't a look of embarrassment or fear. She seemed bored, but there was still life in her eyes.

"My name is Choi Junhee," Junhee started, thinking of something to say. When she saw a guitar case sitting in front of the class, her lips began to slip out the words in her mind. "I don't believe that there is any type of art worthy to be called 'art' except for music. I believe that music is the only form of art."

Blunt and cold.

Her words were filled with distance, and somehow it lacked the professionalism. It was clear that she was being bias, but she was also being serious. Junhee awkwardly took her seat, hoping that the strange pause would fade soon. The introduction resumed somewhat smoothly, though. The students rose up from their seats and went back down, repeating the same pattern for the next five minutes.

Finally, Chanyeol stood up. He smiled at his classmates, but his eyes were on Junhee's back.

"My name is Park Chanyeol, and I love to draw!" he exclaimed. "I believe that drawing is the only form of art."

Junhee widened her eyes and quickly turned around. The fellow boy tuned a whistle and avoided her eyes. She gave him quick glare.

He's offending me! she cried out. He's making fun of me!

"Okay, Chanyeol. That's enough! Take your seat," Mr. Park said, waving his hand as if he didn't want to hear anymore nonsense. He heaved a sigh and stare back down at his desk. "Well, we'll be changing seats tomorrow since a few of you mentioned about having vision problems. Homeroom will end in a few minutes, so you have time to chat before the bell chimes."

Once the teacher excused the students, Junhee stood up and marched towards Chanyeol. She narrowed her eyes, putting her hand on his desk. The tall boy gave her an annoyed look.

"You were making fun of me, weren't you?" Junhee asked, almost hissing at him like a snake.

"So what? I like to draw. It's my belief," Chanyeol pointed out.

"No, no, no. Who cares if you like to draw? You were making fun of what I believed in!"

"It's just a coincident that we have opposite beliefs–"

"You better stop it or else. I don't even want to be in the same class as you. You were already annoying yesterday when you didn't come to class."

"That's because I was too engaged with drawing. Haven't you ever had that moment where you're just absorbed in your own masterpiece? You know, you should try drawing. You look more of the artistic type, not the performing type," Chanyeol commented.

Somehow, Dasom managed to get into the conversation.

"Hey, guys! What're we talking about?" Dasom asked, approaching the duo. She looked at Chanyeol and grinned. "Hello, I'm Dasom! I'm currently looking for a tall boyfriend. If you're feeling lonely, give me a call, okay?"

She gave him her phone number, but Junhee swapped it away. She ripped it into small pieces until the pieces couldn't be put back together. Junhee scoffed and crossed her arms.

"Dasom, don't flirt with this guy. He's useless!" Junhee shouted.

Chanyeol frowned. "You just have problems. Music is the only form of art? Ha! You know what? Come and see me afterschool in the art room. I'll show you what my world looks like."

"It better be nice," she muttered, hearing the chime for the first bell.

 

"You're so lucky that I have ten minutes to spare my time for you. Since Hyunwoo is busy at the teacher's office helping something out, I can't go and see him at all. Though maybe if I go to the art room, I might be able to see him through the window..."

"Jieun, snap out of it. I asked you because I knew that you'd leave early. When you leave, tell me. I'm planning to leave with you or maybe a bit later," Junhee said, dragging the love-struck girl into the art room. She was expecting there to be a canvas or two surrounded by numerous art supplies, just like any other simple art room.

However, when she opened the door, she saw something else. Instead she saw a large piece of butcher paper on the ground with a bare-footed boy standing on top of it. Chanyeol carelessly stepped on the paper, leaving footprints colored in green and brown.

The two girls stood still, watching the man paint an abstract image with his feet. Junhee stepped inside, and this seemed to have disturbed Chanyeol's footwork. He stopped abruptly, frowned, then looked up at the young girl. She gave him an innocent, yet surprised stare.

"You ruined it!" he shouted suddenly, tearing the paper into pieces.

Junhee widened her eyes in dismay. "Excuse me? I haven't done anything but step into this room—"

"Yeah, and by doing so, you ruined the feel. Look at this mess! It's just a blob of painting, now," Chanyeol complained, throwing away the piece of artwork.

Junhee stared back at Jieun, who shrugged her shoulders.

"It was already a blob of painting," Junhee defended.

"Do you even know what I was going for?" Chanyeol asked, rolling his eyes.

"How on earth am I supposed to know? I only know mu—"

"A Man's Footstep?" Jieun guessed.

Junhee laughed. "What? That's just silly—"

"E-Exactly!" Chanyeol exclaimed, walking over to Jieun. He was about to grab ahold of her hand, but he suddenly stopped. He put his shaky hands down to the side, and gave Jieun a warm look. "What's your name?"

"Lee Jieun, future wife of the number one husband, Lee Hyunwoo!" Jieun exclaimed enthusiastically.

Chanyeol suddenly frowned. Though he masked his disappointment with a smile and ran across the room. Without waiting for a response from them, he pulled out another lengthy sheet of butcher paper and placed it on the ground. He quickly drew a sloppy circle in the center with his pencil, then looked up. 

"Jieun, can you please sit down here? How long can you stay?" he asked.

"I need to go now. You can't see Hyunwoo from this floor. He's probably calling me for help." Jieun turned to Junhee and patted her shoulder. "Good luck, Junhee! I'll see you tomorrow, okay? Don't forget to give Eunji that journal!"

Junhee was just about to grab ahold of Jieun's wrist, but the girl sped away to chase after her unrequited love. The cherry-haired girl sighed, then looked back at Chanyeol with a look of annoyance.

The sky finally turned into a brilliant shade of crimson, and the orange glow hit Chanyeol's hair. His body was acting as a silhouette, but his facial features were still visible in her eyes.

Ba-thump.

Chanyeol finally looked at Junhee, then sighed. "That girl... she definitely has to be the girl in my new painting!"

"Jieun? She won't do anything for you. Only for Hyunwoo," Junhee commented. "What's with the circle?"

"I wanted her to sit here... I wanted to paint her for hours and hours, maybe days—"

"You sound like a creep."

"Don't laugh, okay? I think I fell in love with her," Chanyeol whispered softly, blushing.

Junhee rolled her eyes, then turned around. He fell in love? That fast? Heck, she only said three words to him! How could he possible like Jieun in a romantic way?

"Whatever. I warned you about who she likes, okay? Be warned! Have fun with...that," she told him, walking away.

After she was several feet away from the art room, she pulled out her journal and flipped to the second page.

 

Day 2 - Junhee
I met Park Chanyeol. He likes art and Jieun.