Art Keys

To Trouble Thee

Junhee exhaled quietly when she saw Dasom running over Taemin and Soojung. She watched her interrupt the two's conversation by invading their personal space. Dasom squeezed herself between the two, making sure that the only thing they touched was her shoulders and nothing else. 

"What's up with Dasom these days?" Byunghun asked, approaching behind Junhee. Junhee turned around, sighed again, then walked away. She couldn't find a good reason to tell him. Besides, she was sure that he would figure it out some day.

"Junhee!" Eunji called from the busy hall. She rushed over to the exhausted girl's side, smiling. Her smile quickly faded into a small frown. "Is something wrong?"

"Dasom is being a handful," Junhee replied, scratching her head.

"When is she not a handful?" Byunghun pointed out, catching up with the two. "Rather than Dasom, what's up with you? You seem more tired than usual."

"I have to look after Dasom being a handful," she said. "She's been on my nerves lately. I mean, I know that she's really good with love, but still. I think she should just—"

"Hey! Choi Junhee!" a deep voice called from behind. Two of them turned around, while Junhee didn't even bother to look. She continued to walk, knowing exactly who was following her. She tried to get lost in the crowd, but then she felt a heavy object lean against her back. Surprised, she pushed away the large figure and backed away with wide eyes. It took her an instant to realize that it was Chanyeol who tried to jump on her.

"O-Oh," Junhee stuttered, turning a bit red. "It's just you."

"Who else would it be?" Chanyeol asked, giving her a strange look. "Geez, I didn't even get to hug you yet. All I got to do was give you a small push."

"Now what do you want?" she asked, completely ignoring his second comment.

"Are you really asking me that question? I want to see Jieun, of course! You still haven't allowed me to properly meet her," he protested.

"I'm sorry, but I'm with my friends…" Junhee glanced around, and spotted Byunghun and Eunji hiding at the side. They lifted two thumbs up to her, as if they were encouraging her to do something that she didn't even dare to think to do. In the end, Junhee only felt ticked off. "Well, I was with my friends."

"And you'll be with one shortly! Now, take me to Jieun!" Chanyeol commanded. His large hands landed on Junhee's shoulders, causing her to stiffen. With her eyes still as wide as before, she found herself being dragged around, searching for Jieun's presence. The faster she found Jieun, the faster she would be able to get rid of this giant.

The two walked around the halls. Chanyeol was mainly following Junhee, not even looking for Jieun. His eyes were on Junhee's back,as that was all he could see from her behind. Her pony tail swung side to side, teasing him in a way where he kind of wanted to reach out and touch it…

"What are you doing?"

Chanyeol found himself quickly withdrawing his hand to his side. His heart raced a bit, as he awkwardly tried to come up with a quick explanation. Junhee gave him an odd look, waiting for some kind of response. 

"I… Your hair looked really entertaining. It kind of reminded me of those horse tails, you know?" he said, unable to think of anything clever.

Junhee's facial expression dropped. "A horse tail, huh?"

Realizing that what he had said was offensive, he tried to explain himself. However, he was quickly interrupted when Junhee stopped and pointed her finger at a classroom. He stared at her, confused, which only caused her to let out a heavy sigh.

"She's over there, in that classroom," Junhee said.

"O-Oh. Right." He paused. "Aren't you coming with me?"

"For what?"

"Well, I don't think Jieun really knows me that well. It would be strange to just go in and talk to her…"

Junhee sighed again. "Like I said, she only has eyes for Hyunwoo. Having a stranger talk to her is no different than having a friend talking to her. Just go in and talk. Well, you'll probably listen to her ramble on about Hyunwoo."

"Still! I can't just go in like that!" Chanyeol exclaimed. "At least come inside with me!"

He's becoming a pest, she thought negatively, frowning. She reluctantly went inside and found Jieun sitting on top of a desk. The two approached the chatting girl, who briefly looked away to wave at Junhee.

"I'll talk to you later, okay?" Jieun said to a random girl. The girl nodded and left the room, as Jieun handed her full attention to Junhee. "Junhee! What's up?"

"No Hyunwoo?" Junhee asked her, looking around.

"I just saw him a few minutes ago. He asked me to back off then told me that he has some school stuff to do. I told him I'd go with him, but he kept insisting for me to not tag along," she said, rolling her eyes.

"What made you finally leave?" the red-hair asked.

"He gave me this paper that he was holding," Jieun said, raising a blank sheet of paper. She held it close to her chest. "I am totally going to put this in my scrapbook!"

"Y-You do scrapbooking?" Chanyeol stuttered, finally finding a place to jump in.

Jieun nodded her head. "Of course! I need to make Hyunwoo and our memories beautiful!"

"I love scrapbooking! I don't do much of it, but I used to have a ton of scrapbooking materials. Wait, I still think I have some of them at home. I can bring some and we can scrapbook together some time," Chanyeol quickly offered, biting his tongue. He prayed for Jieun to take the bait and accept. When she gave him a skeptical look, he nudged Junhee's elbow. "Junhee said that she would come!"

Junhee widened her eyes. "What? I did no—"

"Okay then! I see no problem if Junhee is going," Jieun said, smiling at him. "Oh, do you mind if I bring some of my friends? I don't know if Hyunwoo can make it, but I'm hoping that he can!"

"B-Bring whoever you want! I'm totally fine with that! I-In fact, if you're going to bring your friends, why don't we meet somewhere?"

"We can meet at Junhee's house!" Jieun suggested.

Junhee's eyes kept wide. "My house? No way! I am not getting any glue or paint all over my furniture! My mom would kill me!"

"Okay, then my house!" Jieun said. She paused, then bit her bottom lip. "Oh wait! Hyunwoo might be annoyed if we make a lot of noise. Plus, my parent would be home."

"T-Then why don't we meet here at school? I'm sure that if Junhee asks the student council members, she could get the key. Besides, isn't one of your friends in that group?" Chanyeol asked. He gave her a pleading look, asking her to accept. He clearly knew that she was against the situation, but he was hoping that his pitiful stare would be enough to convince the girl to go along with him.

Junhee looked away with disappointment. She knew that there was no way she would reject that look. It made her blush and hot, and she couldn't help but think that it was her responsibility to help him make a good impression on her friend. She hated it, but she hated herself for going along with him even more than hating the plan. With a dejected expression, she clenched her teeth and turned her back against them.

"I guess I'll go and talk to him," she said. She walked away, leaving the room, not wanting to deal with the two any more. Before leaving, she glanced behind her, watching the two chat happily. Chanyeol was absorbed in the conversation, and he was mainly staring and idolizing her while Jieun's lips moved rapidly.

How nice, Junhee thought, sighing. How nice to see him look at someone like that…

 

"No."

Junhee flinched when she heard a loud bam! ring across the room. She watched Taemin throw several books from the shelf on his table. The sound of the books hitting the table resonated across the student council room. At one desk, Soojung was actually working. She was looking at a packet of papers, scanning them and occasionally scribbling something on the paper or in the notebook she had next to her. She saw the other student council members work diligently, discussing about any problems associated with the school.

Her attention was back on Taemin when she sensed him climbing down the small ladder. The boy had his eyes glued on the books, and when he finally found another book he needed, he dragged the ladder to the location and secured it against the rim of the bookshelf. One by one, he climbed up the ladder, lifting his foot in a rhythmic pattern. He paused briefly to look down at Junhee.

"Was my answer not clear?" he asked her.

"No, it was clear. In fact, it was very clear," Junhee answered.

"Then why are you still here? Do you need anything else from me?"

"No. I just want to keys for the art room."

"Like I said, I can't do that. Even if I can, I have to submit files to the teacher, who needs to clear it with the vice principal. That takes at least a two weeks to make it into an officially signed document," Taemin explained. He looked over one book, then tossed it onto the table.

Again, Junhee flinched, but she refused to move from her spot. "I understand, but I'm sure that there's some kind of way, no?"

"No, there is no other way. Why are you even doing this? Do you really like art?" Taemin asked, climbing down the stairs. He walked over to his desk, then sat down. He picked up a book and began to browse through it.

Junhee rubbed the back of her neck. She bit her bottom lip, then walked over to the window. Outside, she spotted Chanyeol sitting on a bench, probably drawing something in his sketchbook. Her eyes softened when she noticed that he was drawing Jieun, who was sitting on the bench across from him. She was all over Hyunwoo, but Hyunwoo tried to push her away. A scowl appeared on Chanyeol's face as he shot a glare at Hyunwoo, who could care less about his opinions.

"I guess it kind of grew on me," she mumbled, running her fingers across the window pane.

Taemin kept quiet for a brief moment. Then, he got up from his seat and walked over to Junhee's side. He watched the exact scene she was watching, then click his tongue as he gently patted her head.

"You have it tough," he said, understanding Junhee's feelings.

Junhee broke into a small smirk. "Tough? Why? It's reasonable that he likes her. I mean, I'm pretty much like a robot. Jieun has personality."

"You have personality," he insisted.

"Like what? Tell me," she demanded impatiently.

He was surprised to see her desperate for an answer. Usually, Junhee would shake it off, say something like "It doesn't matter" or "As long as I like myself, it's okay" or something along those lines. He looked away, then sighed.

"I guess I can try something," Taemin said. He walked over to his desk and pulled out a piece of paper from the side drawers. "If you really want the room, then I need you to complete this form for me. I'm a pretty busy guy. The student council need to talk about the the upcoming summer field trip for the second years and the sports festival."

"You guys are already talking about that? Summer is, like, a month and a half away," Junhee pointed out, taking the form.

"It seems far, but these things come real quick. We really need to get this done as soon as possible for a smooth transition. We're especially worried about the summer field trip, though," Taemin said. He rubbed his forehead and gritted his teeth. "We were supposed to reserve a spot for the school for that trip in Japan for the third year, but the secretary forgot to do that and now we lost that position. Plus, the treasurer miscounted and it turns out that our budget is even less than what he told us."

"That sounds terrible," Junhee commented. "So what are you guys going to do?"

"There's a huge possibility that the third years might join the second years on the trip of Jeju Island…"

"But they already took that trip in their second year. Wouldn't that bore them?"

"Yeah, so I was thinking of sending them to some rural country, but if you think about it, there's not much to do there."

"First years take a trip to Busan, so you wouldn't want to take them there."

"Yeah. Ugh, this would be so much easier if the secretary got the spot for us! It's all filled and all we can do is wait for another school to back out, but they won't do that."

"That really ." She paused, then snapped her fingers. "Oh! I have an aunt who's really close to this really popular star. This star is also part of a boy group, and from what I heard, he has some really good connections with girl group. I can try asking my aunt to invite these guys to perform a song or two. I have another uncle who also knows someone who can get some tickets to Lotte World. I can ask the my uncle to contact the guy and make some kind of deal for the tickets."

"A concert, then a trip to Lotte World… It doesn't sound great, but it doesn't sound too bad, either. You have some great connections, Junhee. You should've joined the student council." He extended his hand. "Okay, then. Let's make a deal. Get the information on those parts by Friday, and if you successfully settle everything, then I'll give you the keys to the art room any time you want."

Junhee raised her eyebrows. "Really? Whenever I want?"

"Yep. Sounds fair?" he asked. Junhee nodded, and shook his hand. "You know, you could've just blackmailed me."

"With what?" she asked him, tilting her head to the side.

"Remember what I did at your house? You could've just said that you would tell everyone about what happened there. I surely would've given you the keys," Taemin said, smirking at her.

She exchanged his smug look with a smile. "Oh, come on, Taemin! Do you think that I'd blackmail you for something like that?" She moved away from the window. "I'm your friend, not someone who wants to conquer you or anything."

 

When the figure disappeared from the window, Chanyeol stopped drawing. He bit his bottom lip, tapping his pencil furiously against his sketchbook. He had been unconsciously staring up at the window. He was sure that it was the student council room, and that the figure was Junhee staring out the window.

Earlier, he had been drawing Jieun smiling and looking at Hyunwoo which such a tender expression. He didn't understand what everyone else say in her. To him, he saw a girl neglected of love, abandoned and constantly pushed away by the only person she wanted to impress. However, half way, he had looked up and spotted Junhee staring down at him, then at Jieun. His hands had been moving on its own, marking lines and sketching shapes.

He looked down at his artwork, then frowned. The basic form was obviously Jieun. He had nailed drawing her face shape and the way her hair flowed down to her shoulders. He even got her flat nose and her precious lips drawn perfectly to his standards. However, he noticed that the way he drew her eyes were…different. They were a lot more sharper; the eyes he had drawn looked at him with a monotone expression. It was dull, but it somehow compelled him to stare more.

Her eyes kind of look like…Jun…hee's…? he thought, scratching his head. He sighed and closed his notebook, getting up from his seat. By the time he was done drawing, Jieun and Hyunwoo had gone off somewhere else. It was like he was watching them for one second, and the moment he looked away, they were gone.

Chanyeol rubbed his eyes, then inhaled deeply through his nose. As he began to walk back to class, his stopped and looked up at the same window where he had seen Junhee. In his head, he wasn't wondering if she had gotten the keys for him. Rather, he was wondering if she was still in the room, and what she was doing if she was still in that room.

Deep inside, he kind of wanted her to leave the room—with the keys or without.

 

Day 59 - Junhee
Got the keys to the art room. If you want to come and do art stuff, you're welcome to come and do it.