Chapter I - You and Her

You Will Think Of Her

 

                   

 

 

 

 


 

“She seems so cool, so focused, so quiet, yet her eyes remain fixed upon the horizon. You think you know all there is to know about her immediately upon meeting her, but everything you think you know is wrong. Passion flows through her like a river of blood. She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.”

 


 

 

It is my final year in this university. And all I ever want is just to graduate and leave this damn place as soon as I can. It’s not that I hate this place It’s just it bores me. I long for something more, something new.

 

People, like my best friend Joy, would not understand. She always nags me about that.

 

“Look what’ve you got unnie. You couldn’t possibly still ask for more in your life. You have a pretty face, you have the figure though you’re shorter than I am….. And you are the captain of the cheerleading team. No one in this school have ever not liking Bae Irene. Even Taeyong the heartthrob has asked you out. So convince me.” 

 

 

Yeah, she is probably right. But I don’t know what am I looking for indeed. I just know there’s something. 

 

I looked at her crossed arms and tapping feet, and I sighed.

 

 

Joy lifted an eyebrow and scoffed. “Oh, I forgot. There’s one.” 

 

I immediately shot her a glare. But as usual, she ignored that.

 

 

“You could never get along with the Joy shrugged as she finished.lead of our glee club, right? What is her name again? Oh, WENDY. Never mind, you won’t see her again after you graduated. But I don’t understand why. She is nice. Maybe I'll replace you with her. She is still sophomore and I am a freshman anyway.”  

 

 

She shrugs every time. She puts up with me. What a great friend she is. Way better than those ignorant lewd es in my team.

 

I might be a person who is hard to understand. My self-consciousness often confuses me. Like I know my merits and flaws. I know what I searching for something but I don’t know what it is.

 

Funny as it sounds, I am bad at directions. I went for a trip to a small town without telling anyone. I still managed to have fun on my own, visiting museums and small shops, although I got lost.

 

 

You could say that I like being alone, or the sense of detachment. Or I am not particularly yearning for accompany. So that’s why I rejected Taeyong. And for that, Joy had nagged me for another week.

 

Perhaps I am really dumb that I cannot see why girls are head over heels for him. He is good-looking. And nothing more. He is the captain of the football team but he fails most of her subjects.

 

Yes, I know I am mean. Alright, he barely passes his subjects….. If it sounds any better. He doesn’t even read. 

 

So again, I don’t see why people are shipping us. Captain to captain? Bull. There are at least 10 more captains for the clubs and teams in our college. Why don’t they ship him with someone else?

 

 

Things are getting awkward as I have to cheer for him and his team occasionally.  

 

But what is ten freaking times more awkward is whenever I bump into another captain. The one from the school's glee club. 

 

 

Wendy.

 

 

I have to admit this girl can sing. She is loud and bright.

 

Sadly how people used to being chubby when she was in high school. She manages to smile and walk pass them every time.

 

 

I can still vividly remember how she was in the changing room while our team was there preparing for after-school cheerleading practice. There were 2 es joking on how fat the new vocal of the glee club was and Wendy walked out from one of the shower cubicles.   

 

It was when they found out she was not, at all. She was wearing a very fitting tank top and a very short pair of short shorts.

 

 

And it was when they found out she works out on a regular basis to keep fit and train her stamina, which a singer needs the most beside voice and vocal techniques.

 

Her reaction was totally unexpected. Not the slightest least. She just glanced around the room and flashed us a weak smile. Then she left without saying anything while wiping her neck with a huge towel.

 

 

“ is that Wendy?”

 

“Oh. My. God, she’s this hot now?”

 

“She heard us, girls. We are so screwed.”

 

“Should we be glad that she’s not into cheerleading?”

 

 

I heard those es started talking again when her figure disappeared from our vision. Maybe my eyes tricked me but her eyes did land on me. Right after she looked at everyone else’s shocked faces and right before she left. 

 

I couldn’t tell if it’s a look of disgust or hatred or what. It was quick.

 

What normal people would guess, is that she disliked me. It’s because she thought I was with one of them. It was how we first met.

 

 

What happened the second time is that we met at the Starbucks in our campus.

 

I was craving for caffeine after a 3-hour lecture of Modern Rebellions and Revolutions. I grabbed my order and was ready to rush to check on the cheerleader audition that day. 

 

 

A nerdy guy bumped into me at the door and I accidentally crashed into someone else’s embrace, pouring my drink on her denim shirt. Her. Wendy’s. I freaked out at the thought that she might throw me out of the window or punch me in the face or swear at me and my mother.

 

What she did, was again unexpected. I guess she is someone who is hard to understand too.

 

 

“Do you like Americano?” She said as she shoved her drink to my shaky hand. “Well, I hope so ‘cause I think neither of us would have the time to line up for a new drink.”

 

 

“Wendy….” I called out and she her heel with one eyebrow up, another down. “Should I at least get you a new shirt?” 

 

“Spare the money, Irene. I have enough shirts anyway.” She smiled. Yes, she smiled. Softly. So soft to an extent that the corners of her lips just lifted for a millisecond. So soft to an extent that I once considered having an eye check-up.

 

 

Then she walked away like nothing had happened.

 

The next day I dropped by at where the glee club usually gathers, with a new shirt. I tried to buy an exact shirt but all I could find was only something similar. A light-blue denim shirt.

 

 

Clearly, none of them expected to see me. “Oh hi, Irene. Do you need anything?”

 

I chose my words carefully, “Is Wendy here?”

 

 

“Oh, she is looking for Wendy?” Someone muttered at the back.

 

“She isn’t here, yet. She said she’s to get some instruments for us from the school band before coming here.” Another one spoke.

 

 

“Looking for me?” Wendy just magically appeared by the door, with a guitar case on her shoulder and two big black boxes in her hands.

 

Sometimes I can’t help but wonder, is she even human? How could she always come and go like the wind?

 

 

“Hi, Irene.” Seulgi also greeted me standing behind Wendy, who was getting a keyboard into the room.

 

“Hi. So Wendy…… I am here to get you a new shirt.” I ignored all the questioning glares and handed her the bag.

 

 

Wendy could never hide her expression and her eyebrows did that little dance. “I thought I said-”

 

“Hey, why did she get you a new shirt?” Seulgi cut her off with a cheeky expression. “It sounds wrong. Is there something you didn’t tell me? Ain't I your bestfriend?”

 

 

 

“Kang Seulgi, it is not what you think.” Wendy rolled her eyes as she let the others take the instruments from her. “She bumped into me and spilled her coffee on my shirt yesterday at Starbucks. And it’s why I called you to buy me another drink but you idiot refused since you were too busy for your dance practice. Captain.”

 

I remained silent ‘cause I wasn’t sure if I should barge into their bickering. They sounded like some married couple but I hadn’t heard of any rumors about the captains of the dance crew and the choir.

 

 

“I was really occupied there. Okay, I apologize. I should leave you guys alone.” Seulgi winked at me. 

 

So maybe not a couple then?

 

 

“Irene?” Wendy softly called me. “It’s really kind of you but……”

 

“I insist. 'Cause I’m truly sorry.” I made sure I was looking as sincere as I could.

 

She sighed, softly. “It’s not your fault. You got bumped by that guy too, I saw it.” 

 

 

 

 

 

She sawHow?

 

“No, I mean adding to that time at the changing room. You know the girls could be a bit y sometimes.” I bit my inner lips. Not sure if it was a good call.

 

“Oh, that…..” I could feel her scrutinizing me for a while. “Perhaps that’s why I am not into cheerleading.”

 

So was she was mad at me or not?

 

 

 

“So the shirt, keep it.” I pointed at the bag she was holding with both of her hands.

 

Wendy let out a small chuckle, “If you insist…… Thanks then.”

 

 

I copied her cool way of exiting and walked away from the room like a boss.

 

And how things become really awkward is when she ignored me at the canteen.

 

 

I am not sure if she deliberately did so, but she literally walked past me as if I was invisible. I am not some attention-seeking  but I think she should at least say hi or tell me if the shirt fits. 

 

There’s another time she jogged past me when I freaking tripped while practicing in the field. It is not that I must seek help from her. 

 

It is that she left me to Taeyong who was playing football with his friend seized the chance to help me out and ask me out again.

 

 

I began to think of her might actually be a two-faced when she refused to lend me her phone at the after-party of our high-table dinner. After a klutz who called herself Joy slipped my phone into the pool while taking a selfie. 

 

She was the closest person I could find in that sea of drunken people. Since Joy was long gone. Maybe seducing her crush, I don’t know.

 

 

“My phone….. is kinda out of battery.” Wendy scratched her head with one hand while holding a Sazerac on the other. “Why don’t you ask Krystal? She’s over there. She has 2 phones.”

 

I swear she was sober although her cheeks were red.  But she decided to play dumb on me. Because when I looked at Krystal who was indeed with her friends.

 

Including the football boys.

 

 

“Never mind then.” 

 

I left her standing there and searched for a pay-phone. 

 

 

After 15 minutes, I gave up. I got lost again. I regretted joining the damn party as I am not into alcohol or drunken people. I regretted more of wearing high-heels and that tight dress.

 

The moment I decided to walk back to the dorm, I felt a tap on my shoulder. At first, I thought it was Taeyong or some other drunken erts trying to take advantage of me.

 

 

“It’s just me.” Wendy was taken back at my fierce look and clutched fists. “There’s a pay-phone at the building across the street. You got coins, right?”

 

I fished my purse and shook my head in shame. Why must she embarrass me every time?

 

 

She sighed before dragging me to that pay-phone.

 

After inserting some coins, she handed me the phone with a gentle smile plastered on her fair face. I smiled in return and called my mom. Don’t laugh at me but I promised to give her a ring at the party. Just to make sure I was “safe”.

 

She was a few steps away and awaited.

 

 

 

“I’m done.”

 

“Good. Let’s get a cab.” 

 

“Thanks.” I followed her steps. “How much is that? I can pay you back.”

 

She looked over her shoulder and chuckled again, “No. You gave me a shirt.”

 

 

I ended up riding in the same cab with her since it’s the only one we could halt with half an hour’s effort. We were staying at the same dorm but different blocks, so it was not a big deal. She paid the driver before I could. So I asked her the same question while we were walking, “How much is that?”

 

This time she laughed, “You really don’t want to owe me anything, don’t you?”

 

“I don’t mean in this way…..” I tried to read her smile, but in vain.

 

“Then don’t ask me again.”

 

 

She waved at me and entered the block she lived. It was the first time she left with saying a decent goodbye. I waved back but she probably did not see that. I waved anyhow. It made me feel better.

 

 

She confuses me. One day she’s hot, one day she’s cold. Sometimes she changes in a day.

 

So Joy and even I myself have considered me and Wendy aren’t actually getting along. Being less than a friend.

 

 

I continue spending my last days in this college in my studies and my life as a cheerleading leader. I am mentally and physically both tired every day I get back to the dorm. And I have to deal with Joy’s non-stop blabbering about her crush.

 

Oh and so her crush is Seulgi. I wonder if Wendy knows about that.

 

Yet it’s entertaining to hear how thick Seulgi can be for not getting the 18-year-old’s obvious-as-hell flirting. And oh, how the minor fails at being a seductress.

 

 

“Unnie.” Joy whines and it’s not a very good thing to hear since she uses it whenever she is asking for a favor.

 

“What is that?” I lay on my comfy bed, fiddling with my newly acquired phone.

 

 

“Can you go to today’s glee club audition with me? I heard Seulgi will be there too. Fascinating isn’t it? She can dance and sing too!” 

 

“I wanna sleep.” I bury my face into my pillow, trying to avoid any contact with the whiny girl.  

 

 

“Come on,” She yanks my feet and arms. “I see….. You don’t wanna see Wendy, do you? What has she done to you? You scared of her now? The one and only bae, Miss Irene Bae, huh?”

 

“Stop making fun of my surname.” I pretend to choke her with my bare hands. “And, I am not scared.”

 

 

“Then come with me. My happiness depends on you now!”

 

“You are the real scaredy-cat, Park Sooyoung. Can’t you go by yourself?”

 

“Awww Sooyoungie is scared, so pretty please come with me.”

 

 

The only to save me from this annoying cuteness is to nod my head.

 

So here I am at the front row, watching my dear schoolmates trying to impress us with their “singing”. If you would call it singing.

 

Joy nudges me, “The next one is Seulgi.” I look around to stretch my neck and I see the captain. She sees me too and she gives me a small nod as a greeting before looking down on the papers.

 

 

“Everyone, just to keep you entertained, we will have current members to perform shortly.”

 

I forgot what and how Seulgi sings but I somehow manage to hear this announcement.

 

 

“I hope it’s Eunji. I heard she's cute.” Some guy talks behind me.

 

“How about Wendy? She’s the lead vocal after all.”

 

“I haven’t seen them perform so why not ”

 

“Let’s see if Wendy is really the best.”

 

 

It turns out nearly the whole team is there. Surprisedly, Wendy is sitting on the side with her guitar, with Eunji at the center.

 

I don’t know much about music. That acoustic a-cappella whatever is mind-blowing and totally enjoyable. No wonder they have won so many titles.

 

I find myself uncontrollably glancing at the guitar-playing "supposedly lead-vocal but now a back-vocal". She is so chill. All she cares are the strings and the voices echoing around her.

 

 

“She seems so cool, so focused, so quiet, yet her eyes remain fixed upon the horizon.”

 

 

Although she wears is a black T-shirt and long black jeans, even black Converses…….  And a denim shirt tied on her waist.

 

With those flames in her eyes, she shines.

 

 

“Passion flows through her like a river of blood.”

 

 

She always looks so gentle but now she looks like she could tear walls down if you stopped her from singing.

 

All the sudden it’s her turn for her solo part. It’s the bridge of the song and she hits the high notes oh-so-perfectly. It looks like almost effortless. Her hands are strumming the strings so casually while she pours her heart out on those lines. Her voice is a bit husky, soulful.

 

The audience all cheer and clap for her. She lifts a satisfied smile.

 

 

“Wow, she’s really good.” The guy behind me speaks again.

 

“Wendy WE LOVE YOU !” The other one shouts. 

 

 

She catches that and looks towards my direction. She first looks at them, Joy and me before quickly looking away in no time.

 

Just when I let my guard down, our gazes somehow meet again.

 

She then shows a nervous smile.

 

 

“She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.”

 

 

The song ends and she goes back to the tuning of her LXM little Martin.

 

Joy continues her chase after Seulgi when the audition ends.

 

 

And something drives me to approach the captain who is staying behind. I fake a cough and she looks up from her scoring sheets.

 

“Hi.”

 

“Hi, so you like music?”

 

 

“Y-yeah.” I grin. Why did I even stutter? I didn't lie. I listen to music too. Although it isn't the reason why I am here.

 

“Good, me too.” She puts the sheets into a folder nonchalantly and packs it into her guitar case.

 

“So……. ” I eye at the shirt on her waist. “Does it fit?”

 

She looks startled for a second, “Oh…… It does. Thank you, again.” 

 

 

I am still searching for words to break the silence while watching her getting ready to leave.

 

“Do you want coffee?” I blurt out to stop her from walking away.

 

“Huh?” She is obviously confused by my blabbering.

 

“I wanna treat you coffee. Since you gave me yours last time.” I get nervous staring at her change of expression. What? I am not asking her out. It won’t hurt if she declines. Okay, maybe it does.

 

 

“So I guess Americano isn't your taste?” She jokes.

 

“So it’s a yes?” Well here I am, actually excited for this coffee..... date?

 

She nods like a cute little hamster. “Great, let’s grab a coffee together.” 

 

 

We have walked a few steps and she suddenly stops, “You asked to treat me coffee, not drinking coffee together.”

 

I turn and see her tittering. “Really? You are that childish?” 

 

 

“Ask me again.”

 

Looks like she won't budge if I don't. She is really cute.

 

 

“Do you want to have coffee with me? It’s on me.”

 

“Sure.” She chirps and walks ahead of me.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

“Now you don’t owe me anything anymore.” Wendy takes a sip as we are sitting side by side at the campus park.

 

“Hey, it isn’t like that,” I explain, almost spilling my drink. So she got the wrong idea the whole time?

 

 

“Then what is it like?” She puts her cup down.

 

Her eyes are inviting so I smile, “I just want to have this coffee with you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


This is my fourth fanfic already but the 1st with Irene's POV.

Man, really, I could not figure this bae out.

How do you guys think of this?

Have a good day and love you all.

xo