Chapter 1

Сoncealed Ιdentity (Hiatus)

 Chapter 1 – [1790]

On a sunless morning the trends of events that would wake civil citizens began. The crowing of roosters, blacksmiths already at work, the hungry neighing of horses all aided in waking up sleeping neighbors. Soon men, women, and children set out to occupy the spacious dirt roads and attend to their daily schedules and necessities. When the sun finally rose from behind the mountain’s horizon Jongno's, Seoul skies became clearer and brighter along with the chirping of returned birds, marking the first day of spring.

With the doubling, the tripling of citizens traveling on foot and in wagons, chattering between adults, children playing amongst children, and the striding of domestic animals too increase in number and sound. However, the center of attention in Jongno showed no signs of being affected. That is King Heo Pyeonghwa’s palace, Changdeok, known to be the “Palace of Prospering Virtue” for its harmonization with nature. Each building and room within the palace walls stood ten feet off the ground and its wallpaper was often changed to be hugged by the state of cozy valleys. But most of all it was known for the king's backyard garden, Huwon. The only garden spreading about 78 acres of land that can be found to obtain beautiful and various pavilion, ponds, plants, and over thousands of specimens of trees. The King said to be its owner, is a man worthy of his people's love and respect.

Though with no clues as to what his people are doing, the King has summoned his subjects to gather for the sake of a brighter future for his heir, twenty–five years of age Crown Prince Heo Minho.

Inside the King’s courtroom Seonjeongjeon Hall and far from the garden where the clean air rested, undisturbed, officials of all ranks and levels sat together to complete an even audience of one hundred men. On each side fifty officials sat on soft cushions in terms of their ranks, the highest being nearest to the King’s seat. The lowest, closest to the twin doors—its handles in the creation of two fire-breathing dragons facing each other. In spite of that, three men sat in chairs made of redwood, just below the King’s throne with a gap of a five steps staircase, basically sitting in the shape of a trapezoid from the King.

To the King’s left was Left State Councilor Kim Jaemin, a chubby man with a grumpy face yet admired for his courage, and beside him was Right State Councilor Yi Baekhyun—a much younger man with a brighter aura, often praised for his love towards the citizens. Opposite of them seats an even more powerful, smarter man, the youngest thus far in comparison to those who have previously been in his position, thirty-years-old Chief of State Baek Yungjeong.

Though the majority of officials held in the room’s ages don’t differ much from one another, the conflicts and embarrassment they have experienced were clearly shown on their Asian faces. Especially the King’s. Being in his early sixties the King had a cubic head with bold, dark skin and wrinkly small dull eyes. The depth of each crease made it clear that stress may just as well be the death of the elder someday. Meanwhile sitting beside him was his only son and heir, Crown Prince Heo Minho. Minho was a good looking fellow with a clean face and pale skin unlike his father, his facial features were well-defined and sharp, and if he were to stand he would tower over the heads of the majority of men in the room.

The King who was pleased by the attendance took the first step to lead the new day, by executing his new plans, “Today marks the day where another loyal warrior of mine will be promoted. You all know him very well. He has saved me and every one of you in here, along with my nation’s people on too many occasions to count. He, who spilled his own blood to become a shield to men, women, children, and anyone who shares the same skin as him. He, who is Warrior Yeo Inpyo!”

The doors of the room were pushed open and in came a young man in a whole shining suit of silver armor. As he strode in with his head bent slightly downward, he carries a sword in the scabbard in hand. He was a tall man with a scar that runs in a vertical straight line just missing his lateral canthus in his left eye. His entrance was unique due to the audible pacing of his heavy yet slow footsteps. Finally, when he has reached the center of the room, he fell onto one knee and bowed forward. He then carefully sets his sword down, just to his side on the cement walkway as he had no need for a weapon in the moment.

“Warrior Yeo Inpyo at your service, your majesty,” the man said in the moments of silence.  

The dullness in the elder’s face began to fade when he revealed a soft smile and nodded, “I hope you will all learn from this man and guide him. He’s no longer just any warrior, he will become the head protector of my resting chamber,” every man in the room knew for a fact that the King favored the warrior due to his courage and great swordsmanship. Thus the sudden promotion surprised very few males in the room.

Meanwhile, the excitement of such high position was boiling within Inpyo’s chest, though he had to keep it hidden from the eyes of envious officials. The Crown Prince Minho watched Inpyo from the side with a pleased, handsome smile. The heir's expression and emotions were sincere, though one outside the palace walls would not know what kind of relationship the two has. They were like brothers, raised with roles they were happy with.

Once Inpyo was invited to stand behind the King, the elder then diverted the topic to Myeongsik Academy. A project started by the Crown Prince, which was reported to be closing in on its finishing touch. The room was soundless except for the words of the Prince. “As two years are now behind us the construction is slowly approaching its end. I will visit the site later again today and see for myself how the progression since dawn is going,” Minho made clear with power in his voice along with a respectful bow of his head to his father.

The King grunted a sound of disagreement, “Go tomorrow, today you're needed elsewhere,” the elder then looked over the heads of his officials, “do you remember my words from two years ago?” He directed his question to the Crown Prince. “Didn’t we agree that if once the academy's construction is completed then you will marry?”

Minho blinked at the sudden realization, the brightness in his face faded, “Your majesty I do not wish to marry now—"

The King does not listen any further and cut in, “your wish will not be tolerated nor granted. You made a promise to every official in this same room, including myself, that if I fund your project then you will marry once it is done. Besides, her Queen and I would like to see a grandson soon,”

“But your majesty—“

Before the King would respond with a storming voice, the council officials intruded to play their parts. “Your Highness,” Left State Councilor Kim Jaemin began and led the rest, “for his Majesty's wish, please be considerate and fulfill the promise you’ve made.”

“Please fulfill the promise you have made, your royal highness,” officials repeated after altogether, cornering the Crown Prince. The youth sighed in distress but kept silent as he looked elsewhere.

Meanwhile, Inpyo, who knew nothing of what was about to happen, continued to drown himself in his own happiness alone.

VRLqvCd-B_pRVlKwghO_N8tfJS_RtcAZUeMerN7F

In the eyes of his people, Crown Prince Minho has a flawless reputation—a great mind of his own despite his young age and the determination to accomplish whatever he sets his mind to it. However, no matter how perfect one appearing to be, Minho has flaws too. He has made mistakes and concealed them to be top secrets just like any other, which were only known to high ranked officials and the royal family. Naturally, the Crown Prince would frown at the sound of marriage, though he's an individual with a family of his own.

In the same year when Myeongsik was planned and began in its construction, Minho fathered a child with a young maid. The child would have been named and recorded as Minho’s first child and the next Crown Prince if it hadn't been for the maid’s low status and sudden death. A tragedy that cast the boy aside and thrown into one of the palace’s countless dark little secrets. The child’s name, given by Minho’s mother the Queen, was Youngtae—Heo Youngtae. “The child’s name shall be Youngtae. A rare name longer than most and just like his name, I hope this child will grow up safe and strong and live for a very long time,” the Queen had bestowed to the newborn in her weary arms, who was wrapped in fine fabrics. At the same time, Minho would smile as he watches her cradle his baby.

In the dark room with very little light of a small hut set to the side, away from the main palace and away from any commonly used entrances, where Minho had entered and sat on an occupied bed. On the bed, his son, now two years, slept peacefully despite the poor conditions. Minho rested a hand over the motherless child’s head and his silky, black hair gently to avoid waking him.

The boy’s name was indeed long, but it never stopped Minho from making it longer. When he was sure that the boy was still asleep, Minho whispered his firstborn's full name, “My Prince Youngtae.”

VRLqvCd-B_pRVlKwghO_N8tfJS_RtcAZUeMerN7F

In the bliss of a warm afternoon near a rushing creek not far from the active and busy village, Inpyo was making his way down the dirt road that led to the banks of the stream. From above he could clearly see the scenery and its surrounding of varieties of plants. But it wasn’t the brightness of lavender flowers, the soothing sound of the running river, nor the flapping of nearby birds that caught his full attention. It was the back of a lass—her long black hair tied in a nice braid with a red ribbon at the end.

She was wearing flashing colors that matched the sun’s brightness, making her even more dazzling under the lively sky. Inpyo came up from behind her where he dug his shoes Spinning around in his hold to face him, she looks up to meet his lovely gaze, “Why did his majesty call for you?” the worries in her eyes quickly hid her growing smile. His rough palms were now feeling the softness of her sleeves’ fabric while hers were pressed up against his irony chest armor.in the sand and gently wrapped his long arms around her. The lass whirled her head around, almost instantly, as a bright smile grew on her pretty, subtle face. With her hair pulled back, it revealed her receding hairline and glossy forehead.

“Yoomi, his majesty promoted me to the position as his personal guard at his chambers,” Inpyo answered with a wide, proud smile. Hearing the news for the first time, a matured smile gradually grew on the lass' face as she grabbed his sleeve and gripped them with her slim fingers.

"That's great Inpyo!" the two exchange smiles and gaze into the pupils of the other.

The happy moment was bound to be a short-lived one in the near future, and sadly no one has predicted that it would have anything to do with one deserving and moving up the ladder of power.

VRLqvCd-B_pRVlKwghO_N8tfJS_RtcAZUeMerN7F

Later that day, six red litters— a wheelless vehicle with the use of manpower to maneuver it—were seen traveling down a back road to avoid any attention from the commoners. Minho was seated in the center of the movement, where guards marched beside his carriage. On the ride alone Minho’s mind began to reminisce the earlier scene; when Minho met with the King in the palace’s library. With the librarian asked to leave the room, it was made just for their father and son moment.

“Why did you promote Inpyo? Now the council will believe it’s because you cherished him just as you would a son.” Minho’s words came off as jealousy, but really it wasn't. The King heaved a sigh, his breathing was slow-paced compared to the youth in front of him.

“So what? Inpyo is like my son. My people are my children.” The King said flipping the pages to a paper book in front of him.

“Father, I know how well you favored him over me. I'm not angry even as your blood and heir. But why must you treat me differently and unfairly?”

The oldest slammed his paper book shut and glanced up, “Differently and unfairly?”

“It's too much for you to choose an outsider over your own grandson. How can you who raised an outsider not understand me? My prince Youngtae," —Minho’s emotions quickly took over his presentation, bringing out his watery eyes and drying his throat, leaving him to fend with a cracked voice—"how can you continue to keep him in the shadows?”

Astounded, the King raised his voice immediately, “Again?! Haven’t I already acknowledged him as my grandson and a member of the royal family? How dare you compare the man I raised to that child you forbiddenly fathered?! Get out of my sight!”

“Welcome your highness.” A voice brought Minho back to the present, a moment he wasn’t looking forward to. Minho noticed the litter was no longer in midair but on the ground and he saw how one side of it was opened. Standing just outside was Left State Jaemin with his people. Minho stepped out and plastered with a warm smile. Before him, Left State Jaemin greeted with a rare smile. See, the latter was not a man of smiles thus possess no friendly but rather awkward smiles.

“You came, after all, your highness.”

Minho nodded a little, “Sorry to have kept you waiting. I had plans to leave with you from the palace before, but I wanted to have a few words with his majesty first,”

Jaemin hummed, “It is a good day after all his majesty did promote a man who is like a brother to you Nevertheless, I hope it will be a greater day for you as well,”

Though grateful for the encouraging words, Minho immediately turned to business, “These are gifts to your family. His Majesty had them prepared. I’ve also set aside some gifts for your daughter. I hope she will admire them just as I did while choosing them out,” the official responded with an agreed chuckle.

VRLqvCd-B_pRVlKwghO_N8tfJS_RtcAZUeMerN7F

After spending some quality time with Inpyo, Yoomi returns home to witness men bringing in pretty boxes with nicely tied bows, and inside each box were unknown and mysterious goods. As the curious lass made her way through the maze of busybodies, she approached a figure she was familiar with. At the door, she saw Kim Jaemin watching the workers. When she reached his side she spun around to face the same direction as him, "Father?" she began, "What are all of these?"

The male forced a heavy exhale through his nostrils. "Gifts from his majesty,"

"Gifts? What for?" she questioned with a furrowed of her soft brows.

Instead of answering his daughter, the older spoke in a low voice, "Prepare yourself tonight you will be moving into the palace,"

End of Chapter One.