Chapter 16

Сoncealed Ιdentity (Hiatus)

Chapter 16 – [1805]

Inpyo was on horseback as he overlook a steam outside of Jongno. Close to him was one of his man, scouting and securing the place. Inpyo quietly reminisce on earlier events of him and Jaemin.

“Then, have you agreed to work with me?” Jaemin asked, a bit too anxious. Inpyo took the older man’s eyes with his before giving an answer.

“If eliminating Yungjeong can give me Yoomi, then eliminate Yungjeong I will.” Inpyo said, insisting that he take Yoomi once Yungjeong is assassinated. Jaemin who was against the idea pulled back instead. “If you cannot give me Yoomi, then we do not have a spoken pact.”

Jaemin tighten his jaw line to express his strong objection. “You are asking me for the Queen of this nation, that’s absurd.”

Inpyo’s counter was just as powerful once he spoke, “It’s only fair. Yungjeong is the King’s State of Council who’s even higher than you in position. Exchanging the Queen for the life of a State of Council sounds very little absurd to me. So, do we have a pact?” Jaemin formed fists with his rough hands as his lips trembled.

“We do not. I will never give up my daughter for the life of a lowlife like Baek Yungjeong, never!” Jaemin stated before sitting straight in his chair. It was the first time Inpyo had seen such a red-face Councilor. The Assassin leader nodded with an amused smirk. Unfortunately, the official was still the same power-hungry being who would risk his life just to remain at the top of the power chains. Knowing that, Inpyo decided to give in an ounce.

“Then, set up a way for Yoomi and I to meet in private. I must meet her first, then we will talk more after.”

Jaemin frowned, “What businesses do you have with the Queen after all these years?”

Inpyo thought the reason would have been obvious, but was wrong, “If you really want me then you will agree to my terms” Jaemin made little sounds under his throat but did not decline the offer immediately.

"Fine. When I've secured a way I will contact you then,"

In the moment of silence, Taeyo entered on a horse of his own and broke nature's rhythm with the clopping of hooves. Halting beside Inpyo, Taeyo glanced over to get a glimpse of Inpyo's attention.

"Will you really follow through with his orders if he sets up a date, my lord?" Taeyo questioned.

"It's up to Yoomi," Inpyo answered simply.

"Yoomi?"

Inpyo finally looked at Taeyo, "I will decide whether to follow Jaemin or not depending on the answer I get from her,"

Taeyo knew Inpyo had no intention to reveal his true feelings as he kept his answers short, thus he chose to bring up another topic. "About Wootae then.."

"Has anything happened to Daniel yet?" Inpyo began.

"Not yet. However, I'm heading over right now to check on it," Taeyo answered knowing what Inpyo was referring to.

"If you go now Jungook may have you do it. Will you be alright if that happens?" Inpyo questioned. Taeyo hummed with a nod. Thus Inpyo continued, "Anyway, it's that time of the year again. Summon Wootae back to Myungyeol within the next few days. Who knows if Jaemin made up his mind to meet tomorrow," Inpyo said slowly and quietly. Taeyo nodded and left to carry out Inpyo's wishes.

q3BDmVDCJ6VfPWKm7sb9GvnDacW7Ilsn9zp1_ecU

In the middle of town it was lively and loud, commoners were trying to push their goods onto buyers as it was a good day. Outsiders, especially, had come to see the Crown Prince and became the main targets of the desperate stall owners. They would showered bypassers with, “Buy this! Try this! Buy that!” In the midst of it all, Daniel and Wootae were on the roads of Jongno after leaving the forest to trade their kills. Though Suwon was a location with a good amount of hunter-traders, the prices and trade given was less than those few more wealthy in Jongno. Which was the very reason why Daniel and Wootae returned to Jongno ahead of schedule. At a cross intersection Daniel came to a halt as he spun around to face Wootae.

“I’ll go trade this and be back soon. Good kill today.” Daniel smiled as he held a tiger’s paw in his hand. The creature has been killed by Wootae’s poisoned arrows when it approached them first during an encounter in the woods. A piece of the tiger was proof that the animal has been killed but its body has not been delivered to town just yet as it would need more than four men’s power to carry it in. There was no chance a man and boy could do it alone. It was the time of the year where wild big cats would follow their food into the forest, as it made a perfect sheltered habitat for animals during the cold season. Wootae was also told by Daniel that profit from trade were especially higher during the period of the year as many seek big cats skin.

Wootae stood in the middle of all chaos, however he was avoided as he was a child and no sellers had any interest in him. Every year Daniel would handle the trade alone and in a private dwelling out of Wootae’s sight, and without a legit reason. The teenager was standing near a stall where hand-made bamboo umbrellas were being sold at a high price. Its wonders of colorful silk parasols were sewed with Chinese calligraphy characters and symbols, signifying its origins. Unnecessarily the aegis were rested in an open slot at the top of the stall in order to display its tremendous beauty. It was after a moment when Wootae heard the hums of a young woman.

“Why is it so high?” Eunmi asked to no one in particular but her two maids agreed. Why put an item that attracts the certain shorter group of people so high up? The three lasses who are no more than five feet three inches were having a difficult time trying to grab ahold of the umbrellas. “Help me get it please.” The girl pleaded her maids who decline immediately. They were less helpful as they were shorter than her. “Hey, where did the owner go?” Eunmi questioned as she scanned the empty stall. Wootae eyed the girl carefully, noticing her chubby cheeks, neat attire, and friendly aura. He noted how her bottom lips began to curled outward as her patience was running thin. “Mister owner,” she cried, but her voice was overheard by the many busy people about them. “where did he go? I want one of those,” she whined.

“Young miss, let’s forget it and go somewhere else.” One of her maid suggested but she insisted with a stubborn tone.

“No, I must get one for Changwoo. He’s always outside, he’s getting dark!”

“But miss we can’t reacht it. These are also women's umbrellas, Young Master won't take a liking to them,” The other maid begged. Eunmi heaved a depressed sigh and looked straight up at the yellow umbrella. It was then that Wootae unknowingly reached up and easily remove it from the slot. Eunmi traced the item until her eyes landed on Wootae’s face. She gasped a little as she found him extremely attractive. Wootae handed her the umbrella without a word and thus she took it with silence as well, but her eyes wouldn’t leave the adolescence. Time froze for the young Eunmi, it was the first time she was feeling so heated and shy before the opposite gender. Her hands were sweaty and the only sound she could hear was her own heartbeat.

It was love at first sight. “T-thank you.” She stuttered. Not wanting to stay any longer, Wootae departed without a reaction. It was strange and rare of him to help just anyone, because if he did the same person would definitely rely on another person soon again. Eunmi and her maids watched as Wootae walked away, “Isn’t he the most handsome man you’ve ever seen?” Eunmi thought aloud. Behind her, her maids had their hands clapped together and hummed in awe.

q3BDmVDCJ6VfPWKm7sb9GvnDacW7Ilsn9zp1_ecU

Yungjeong drew a hefty sigh with his hands hidden behind his back. He was facing one of the indoor ponds in the room—under the surface he could make out the transported Chinese fishes. To be able to transfer live fishes into Korea goes to reveal how closely tight Jungook is tied with his half-Chinese background. The long silence made good use of time that has been wasted seemed shorter, thus when the official his mouth to speak to his company in the room, his saliva made a clicking sound, “It’s almost noon yet there’s still no sign of the child,” Jungook, who was seated in his chair, breathed heavily at the man’s comment. “It’s unfortunate but I will have to return to Jongno before noon to celebrate the Crown Prince’s birthday.” He said looking to his companion with a hint of disappointment. At that Jungook could only nod as he understood the man’s words fully.

“It’s a shame that you came this far just to see a child who isn’t here. Next time, I will send him to you instead.” Jungook said.

“I’ll wait for next time then.” Yungjeong said before taking his leave. Once Yungjeong and his men were out of Jungook’s sight, the leader eyed one of his man to the side.

“Find me Daniel.” Jungook’s three words were enough to kick ten men out of the room. He sunk into his chair moments later and sighed. “I have allowed you to deceive me too many times Daniel Henney. It’s time I put an end to you.”

q3BDmVDCJ6VfPWKm7sb9GvnDacW7Ilsn9zp1_ecU

By noon all invited guests were seated and busied with small talks in the King's presence. The happy crowd fell dead silent when an official of the King stood in sight of everyone with an empty palm held in mid air, a gesture asking for an audience. “Attention please!” The bearded man announced in his deepest yet loudest tone. “Special guests today before his majesty, I welcome you to the eye of Jongno and heart of Korea!” Men, women, and children all alike clapped and encouraged the speaker with cheers and unclear noises. The announcer held up both hands, “Today we celebrate another yearly event as the Crown Prince turn 15 and continue to grow! Let us hear a blessing from the King himself before we celebrate with performances!”

The silence lived on but the crowd got on their knees and bowed before the King as he scanned their heads and backs. “I’m grateful for everyone’s attendance and most of all to those who has traveled far to be here with us today. As of today my healthy heir to my throne has turned 15 and is able to sit beside me. Over the years he has made me proud by learning from the best. I’m sure many of you has come far to see his abilities which is why all will be presented much later on. However, today preparation is enough to fill and keep everyone till dawn. Enjoy your stay!”

“Long live the King and his Crown Prince and heir Heo Junseung!” The people chanted before the speaker rose them.

“Our first performers was seek out by his majesty from India. May performances began!”

Music could be heard but not seen outside of the palace walls. In front of Junseung and the King, performers kept their eyes hidden but not their talents. Dancing, singing, puppet shows, plays, and martial arts were all performed before the fortunate mass on a cement, stage between the royals and nobles. However Junseung and the King most looked forward to the battle between the Crown Prince and Changwoo.

q3BDmVDCJ6VfPWKm7sb9GvnDacW7Ilsn9zp1_ecU

“Young miss we should return before Madam worries,” a maid whispered as the three girls hid behind the haystacked wall. Eunmi stuck her head out to see Wootae standing in the middle of the street with his arms crossed over his chest. Eunmi was silently adoring the sight of his leaning back, slim body figure, and especially his long graceful hair. “Miss,” the two maidservants tugged at Eunmi’s clothes, pestering her. But she paid them no deeds and locked her eyes on the only boy she could see, as if the devil has gotten to her.

The lass built her courage to approach the boy just to be held back by her companies. “Miss where are you going?!”

“Let’s go home okay young miss? Hurry before Madam notice we haven’t—”

An unreadable smile grew upon Eunmi’s pale face as she sniff the air around her, to confirm that the scene before her is real. “Don’t be silly girls. If I leave now then when will I ever get the chance to see him again?” She said slowly and softly, but those were her thoughts being spoken aloud and not to her maids. Right then a larger Englishman came face to face with the boy. Eunmi couldn’t make out what they were saying but she noticed how the man smiled and the boy nodded.

As all of her attention was stolen by the two beings, she didn’t notice the passing beggar. A man ripped the purchased umbrella from her maids as well as the goods they carried. Then he shoved the three females toward the direction of the haystack and started to run. The screaming of Eunmi’s maid alarmed the little populated streets and soon the thief was shoving his way through the streets as he ran the opposite direction of Wootae and Daniel.

“Thief! Thief! Help us stop him!” Eunmi’s maids scream. When the lass got distracted, she hurried to face the direction of the boy in hoped to ask for further help. But it surprised her that the boy and man were no longer present. “Help us please! Thief! Please stop him!” The maids scream as they panicked whether to chase the beggar or stay with Eunmi. Whatever the case, it didn’t matter to the young mistress, she was more worried about the whereabouts of the handsome teen she has received help from before. The people around them witnessed the departure of the thief but no one chased him in particular.

q3BDmVDCJ6VfPWKm7sb9GvnDacW7Ilsn9zp1_ecU

Daniel handed Wootae an amulet made of tiger’s skin, shape like a diamond, and hanging from a sinew thread were tiger claws. “Here for you, Tiger Slayer.” A smile spread across Daniel’s face as Wootae took the accessory in hand. Daniel never knew, but Wootae wasn’t fond of the title. Without a word he clutched the piece and led the older toward the direction of the woods again.

End of Chapter Sixteen.