Chapter 9

Сoncealed Ιdentity (Hiatus)

Chapter 9 – [1800]

Daniel tighten his grip around the animal’s cheek strap. He heaved a sigh that was seen carried through the thick air around them. Then surely and slowly he spun his upper body in place in order to see Wootae on the horse. With a brief smile he said to the boy, “We’ll take it slow. I’ll walk the horse.” When Wootae didn’t react to his words, the man faced forward and began pulling the horse alongside him as he walked. In the moment that Daniel wasn’t aware, Wootae tapped the horse’s belly with his heel making it bolt forward. In the process Daniel was forced to unhand the strap and almost lost his balance as he stumbled forward. “Wait! No! Woo—!” His attempt to chase after Wootae on the horse left him with utter confusion and surprise instead.

From the growing distance between them, he could see how Wootae handled the mount, just fine. How the boy wasn’t making any sound and how he didn’t look back to see if Daniel was going to come to his rescue. The question of when the youth knew how to ride rose in Daniel’s head as he continued to stand and watch. Wootae was finally freed from Daniel’s watch as the horse approached a hill and galloped over it without any hesitation.

Wootae was fully aware that he had fallen too far behind when all he could hear was the sound of his mount’s gallops and none of the others or the herd. Until the sound of neighing and kicking of dried leaves alerted Wootae of horses nearby. Then following the sound was a loud thump that frighten the animal under him, causing it to strike in aggression as it kicks its forelegs in mid air, dropping Wootae to the ground before sprinting off from any danger. When he came into contact with the hard earth, pain shot up his back and quickly carried the effects throughout his small body, stinging him for a moment.

While recovering the youth stood up and dust himself of dirt, then the sound of neighing came back to him and reminded him why he was suddenly abandoned by his mount. Wootae followed the sound that led him off the dirt road, to where all trees seems to look alike and dried leaves cloaked the ground of the spooky forest. After traveling downhill, he came upon a black colored filly running around a pit. The filly was black in color but her face was covered with a white-bald-marking and her ears were pointed inward. Her neck was long and height was tall for a young horse. In the few seconds that Wootae took to observe the animal, he could tell that its focus was inside the hollow hole.

Wootae knew instantly that before him was a tiger trap set by hunters who aim to trap and slaughtered big games in order to obtain praises and trophies. The filly could be seen stomping the ground with her hooves as panicked slightly surges within it. The boy crept in closer with cautious by watching his steps.

“Young master!” A voice hushed from the side. Beside him were two of his father’s men; born killers with no true talents and relies heavily on their own strength, and considered killing a proper lifestyle. “What are you—?” One of the two men inquired but was hushed by a turn of Wootae’s head. The youngster locked his eyes on the precious scene of the young animal. This time she appeared more desperate to drop into the pit than before, but she would take a few steps back when she couldn't build up the courage to do it.

The silence between all parties were disturbed by a painful, loud neigh coming from within the dug-up hole. The two men looked surprise and exchanged looks before turning back to Wootae, but before they could catch him he was already making his way toward the direction of the trap. “Young master!” They cried in unison. The sound of their voices were carried all the way to the young animal, startling it and allowing it to gaze up to see the clear figure of Wootae.

Instead of flinching, Wootae came to an immediate stop the moment he was spotted by the mammal. With his utmost carefulness, the boy held his open palm up before taking tiny onward steps. He could see fear that trembled in the eyes and body of the filly. The flaring of her nostrils, too, added the signs of a fearful creature. When Wootae got close enough to the edge of the hole where he could peek in, he noticed inside was a fully grown horse. Unfortunately it has fallen into the tiger’s trap were wooden sticks were set up in evenly rows and their keen ends were sharp enough to pierce through fresh and raw flesh. The large creature couldn’t move and every move was deemed more painful. There was nothing Wootae or anyone can do for the larger mammal, it was bound to bleed to its death if not killed. However, in order to not frighten the filly, Wootae ignored the sight below him and continue to steadily held his palm flat up in the air. Until finally he was close enough to the critter where he could touch her, but fought the urge to. He was waiting for her to approach him first, to allow him permission to touch and allow him to know that it wasn't afraid of him. 

Daniel stopped to catch his breath when he heard galloping heading his direction. Behind the countless trees he saw the horse that carried Wootae from before. The animal stopped before him and promptly he felt as if a knot was being tightened and twisted in his stomach, his knees grew weak, and sweat of worries replaced his fatigue ones. He hastily climbed onto the horse’s back and sat on the saddle, as he wrapped the rein around his large, pale hands he scanned the area. “Wootae!” He called before leaving the certain area.

chSMdNbJeqqamG18xq-sFnTol64dkjR2Lw7D9Qfe

Taeyo remain mounted while men had dismounted to investigate the place where Wootae was initially at from before. “He was here, we saw him approach the brute.” One of the two men from earlier spoke. His voice was shaky and mixed with fear that he may be falsely accused and killed by the rider.

“You said the young animal placed her muzzle against Wootae’s hand?” Taeyo asked, earning earnest nods from the two.

“Y—yes, it was strange but for some reason that animal did not attack or run away from the Young Master. It—It was as if he was trained or knew how to approach it.” One explained and besides him the other hummed in agreement. Taeyo exhaled after processing the information he has obtained.

“There’s no way a child would know how to handle a beast triple his size," there was a pause when Taeyo thought about it, "unless Lord Inpyo taught him,” he gazed his surrounding with eyes that appears tired of the things he was seeing. "Let's return." He ordered.

The forest was left quieter by the minute and the filly shadowed every steps that Wootae took. Soon Wootae succeeded in leading the critter to the side of the riverbank where he brought her to the entrance of their home. Inside, Inpyo was seen coming down the steps. The moment Wootae walked into his view, he paused from taking another step down. “You’re back already?”

Wootae did not answer but gave a nod. Then he motion toward the animal that hid from Inpyo's view, “Can she stay?” Wootae asked.

“Who?” Wootae spun his body toward the direction of the entrance's hall. There he held up a hand and from the entrance, the muzzle of the creature was the first body part of the animal that Inpyo saw. Slowly and cautiously the small mammal strode out and touched Wootae’s palm with her muzzle.

“Her.” Wootae said softly in order not to frighten the filly, meanwhile an impressed smug gradually grew on Inpyo’s dark-toned colored face. 

"Taming of the horse species. Well done."

chSMdNbJeqqamG18xq-sFnTol64dkjR2Lw7D9Qfe

Changwoo was locked alone in a crowded room filled with paper books. His grandfather assigned him some readings but with every turn of each page, Changwoo heaved an audile sigh. He scanned the book’s contents as his mind wouldn’t allow him to fully understand and focus on its messages. The creative Changwoo puffed out his cheek in boredom and shut his book, then while looking down at it an idea came to him.

The boy had rolled up the blue paperback book into what would look like a scroll. There he pretend to pull out an invisible sword, one that only he could see and touch, using the book as his scabbard. Changwoo admired the unseen sword before him and wore a cunning smirk. “Fear me grandfather!” Changwoo knocked over the stack of books highest and closest to him using his hand. He winched at the unexpected contact and the crashing sound of books falling across the wooden floor.

Knowing what to expect next Changwoo’s eyes were fixed on the doorway just waiting for his grandfather to make a stormy entrance, but instead Changwoo was spook by a hiss coming from the direction of the only window in the room. Looking over he noticed his adopted sister, Eunmi. The younger girl, eight at the time, had chubby cheeks and a stubby nose. It was due to her fullness that she appeared much younger and even with a sense of ‘cuteness’. Changwoo could only see her face from the window as her whole body was hidden behind the walls. “Eunmi, what are you doing?”

“Big brother, come out and play with me.”

“I can’t.” Changwoo hissed, trying to keep his voice down. “Grandfather would kill me if I leave this room—”

“He’s not here.” Eunmi quickly added, “Grandpa went out with his friends.”

“Eunmi, didn’t father tell you not to call grandfather grandpa? That’s impolite.” Changwoo attacked but the girl expressed a short giggle.

“What do you know about being impolite? You’re not very polite yourself big brother.”

“Eunmi, you—” Changwoo stood up, knocking more books over. He froze in place, keeping in mind that he cannot get caught, then slowly remembering Eunmi’s words. “Did you really see him leave with your own eyes?”  The chubby girl nodded with a noticeable hum. Then a joyous smile was drawn on her face.

Changwoo had set aside his assignment and started climbing through the window, large enough just for him to fit right through. Changwoo moved slowly in order to avoid falling, thus kicking one leg out first then sat on the window sill as if he was mounting a horse, once he was ready to kick both feet out the window, a strong force of strength pulled him off the sill. Changwoo fell to the ground with a painful groan. Seconds later the sound of moving gravel caught his attention, while looking up he noticed Eunmi stepping back with fear on her face.

She was looking at something right across from her.

Changwoo turned his head and immediately noticed the grown man squatting before him. The hatred eyes of the man was staring down right at Changwoo, and on his oddly shaped face was an amused half smirk. “Fancy meeting you here, young master.” The man uttered. The tone of his voice revealed signs of wanting to challenge and scare the boy.

“Y-you, Geukjin?” Changwoo whispered the name of the man before wincing at the pain shooting through his small body.

“Young master, since you’re so desperate to leave. Let me help you.” The man said, keeping his deadly smirk. Once he glared upward toward the chubby Eunmi, he was delighted to see the look on her face. “You too, come with me young miss.”

End of Chapter Nine.