a seed

Passion

Everything has a downside. No matter what it is, no matter how amazing, how wonderful it feels, it will have a downside. With a high, a crash will follow.

At least that was one of the Old beliefs, one of the falsely spun philosophies told by those in power to keep the people in check.

In Somber, there are no downsides. Life is perfect. If life is perfect surely that means the people are too? How could there possibly any downsides?

Unless you are a criminal of course and if so, you receive your justified downside for your un-just actions. Yoongi had heard the stories. Awful things happen in the prisons of Somber. They don’t talk about that side. The criminalistic side, in the media, despite the slow increase of government rebels. It’s Somber’s unofficial slogan; Withhold the truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God. Except maybe minus the God part. Religion doesn’t exist anymore, it had too many downsides.

They do talk about the preeminence, the excellence and the prominence of Somber above all other cities in the Western Province. Yoongi’s being reminded of this now, by the large monitor to his left. Did you know, Somber was the first of the four great cities to have its entire population a part of the E-mote program? We now have the least amount of criminal activity, even less than Barren and Lackluster!

Bull, He mutters under his breath.

Bull. Yoongi likes that word. He likes how it doesn’t roll off of the tongue, how its sharp and rough and angry. It has a dark feel to it, a rebellious tinge. Namjoon taught him that word, not long before… not long before he was still alive. He is still alive somewhat, in the breathing and functioning sense of the word. But he no longer laughs, smiles, speaks, he doesn’t even cry. Yoongi doesn't think he can count him amongst the living anymore.

Namjoon had always been different- Somber never seemed to quite fit him. Sure he attended school everyday, took part in all community activities, dressed appropriately, had his hair cut according to the list of suggested styles- but unlike the rest of Yoongi’s peers, he didn’t seem happy about it. He would pretend to be, when in front of anyone but Yoongi. But as soon as he was behind closed doors his smile would fall and a small crease would find its way between his eyebrows.

“Are you okay?” Yoongi would ask.

“Are you okay?” He would always reply. The first time Namjoon had asked him he’d answered with ease, of course he was okay- he was more than okay, he lived in Somber after all! But each time he asked Yoongi became a little less confident, a little less certain. 

Was he okay?

And then he would abruptly sit up, throwing his satchel over his shoulder and mumbling some excuse to Namjoon about needing to get home. He would sit at the end of his bed, trying his best not to think, waiting until dinner where he could take his nightly dose of hap-e and maybe even sneak a couple of extra drops.

 

Yoongi’s changed so much since then, he can hardly recall the him from before. He’d followed so blindly, so willingly. He had Namjoon to thank for changing that and now that he was gone, Yoongi had no way to repay him.

So here he was surrounded by monitors, each screen following a different person. Doing for them what was done for him. All he needed was a seed, just one sign of reluctance or doubt and Yoongi would water the seed- planting ideas, questions in their minds. He had succeeded with planting a seed within every person on the dozens of screens around the room, well nearly every person. Every person except one- Park Jimin.

 

 

 

Authors Note:

Hey guys! Sorry this first chapter is quite short- but its just an introduction to Yoongi's character- the next chapter will be about Jimin! This is literally the first fan fiction I've ever posted online so please criticism and comments are really appreciated

thanks for reading! :)