Entourage

Game Changer

Song Minho was only on his second year in the Korean entertainment industry and he was already a big celebrity of his own. When he came back home, he was determined to stay for good and start anew. He may have had a budding modeling career in the U.S but in South Korea he started out as an underground rapper. Having won the second prize on the fourth season of Show Me the Money, a popular TV rap competition, Song Minho had created a name of his own.

During the early episodes of the show, it had been revealed that he was the only son of the number one Korean entertainment magnate, Yang Hyun Suk. At first, it drew flak from netizens and accusations about him having the big wigs to back him up had been thrown at him. What most people didn’t know was that Mino was already a seasoned underground rapper. His parents didn’t have a clue that he had been going to clubs and performing as an underground rapper every time he visited Korea for a vacation for the past seven years. He wasn’t the type to tell everything that has been going on with his life to his parents. Even if he did, his father will only lecture him about letting him do it under his beloved company. And that was what he was avoiding. He wanted to do things on his own terms even if it meant starting from the bottom.  This entire story along w/ the modeling career he had at the US was emphasized on the episodes of the said hip hop show he had joined in. And this was what captured the hearts of the audience, his pride and humbleness and of course his manly charm.  He may have not won the grand prize but what he got was way more than what he had expected. At first he only wanted to prove that he can make it without his parents' influence and get away from the tag of being in the shadow of Yang Hyun Suk. But it seemed like fate has other plans for him because he got more than what he bargained for. Having a chart topping song was only the start of great things for Song Mino.

It was only six months after the show when he started to form his own agency with the purpose of managing his own career. It was met with skepticism especially from his father - who having managed several high profile artists for many years, felt like it was too early for his son to make it entirely on his own. But Song Mino was determined enough to take the big leap and all the possible risks. He didn’t even need an approval from his father when he informed him about it. He just wanted to show some respect by telling him first hand of his plans just in case it might get into his way in the future.  Song Minho knew that his father was only worried about him and didn’t want to hurt him in case all his plans backfired.  So he assured his father that if in case his own plans didn’t work, he might consider working for him in the future. And that was a truce.

For his own agency, he got the best people he knew that could help him. And that was none other than his friends whom he had known for many years. First on the list was his best friend and cousin, Kim Jinwoo. Having been educated in the U.S, Jinwoo got his degree in Journalism and went to work as an editor for a large American-Korean publication house based in Seoul.  When Mino laid his plans to Jinwoo, the latter was game for it that he resigned from his company two months after. It so happened that Jinwoo was feeling burnt out from his current job and was looking for something different to do, and so he hop on with his cousin’s plan. He thought that if it won't work for him this time, at least Jinwoo knew he tried. And it would be more fun working with his friends.

Seungyoon, on the other hand was a friend he had known back in high school in L.A. He was an exchange student at the school where Mino was attending. Having the same nationality, they have easily bonded and became very close friends that even when Yoon was no longer under the exchange student program and was back in Korea, they have maintained a correspondence through emails and social networking sites. And everytime Mino was in the country, the twp of them along with Jinwoo would go out partying all night. Seungyoon was a former road manager of a B-list celebrity before Song Mino recruited him for his agency. There was no better candidate for the manager position than Yoon who knew the in and out of the industry and had some connections with other agencies. He was actually fired by the artist he was managing because of a misunderstanding that was blown out of proportion. And Mino’s offer came just right on time.

 

Taehyun, on the other hand, was introduced to Mino by Seungyoon during the New York Fashion week where both of them were attending, with Mino being on the runway as a model and Taehyun who was working as an assistant at that time for Kathleen Kye of KYE fashion brand.  It wasn’t hard for these three to be close together especially with fashion being their common favorite. Taehyun was already a stylist for young actors when he was recruited by Mino for his agency. It was not hard to convince him, in fact he wanted to be an exclusive stylist for just one celebrity instead of being a free lance who got to style different artists with different attitudes. Taehyun was meticulous and values his choice of style for his artists that he hated it when these artists complain as if they knew better when it comes to fashion. And there can be no better job than to be a cordi for a model and fast rising celebrity, and not to mention a close friend who he can be brutally honest with when it comes to fashion advice. He knew it was a big risk to take his friend's job offer considering he has a pending application for London based fashion brand, but Taehyun made his decision to accept Mino's offer.

 

Meanwhile, Seunghoon was a friend he first met when Mino was on the underground scene performing hiphop on small stages. Their first encounter wasn’t very pleasant as they had quite a misunderstanding.  Just like the rest of the rappers, they had beef against each other especially when it came to performing on stage. They did diss each other in their songs but had made up and formed an alliance against their common enemy, San-E whose face and guts they both hated. And because they share common dislike for the rapper, it was easy for this two to bond over. Even when Hoon didn’t make it to the cut for Show Me the Money, him and Mino maintained their friendship. And when Hoon realized that him being on the underground scene had not been very productive for him, and with no employment at the time, Song Mino came to the rescue and brought him in to his agency.

 

After getting the right people for his own agency, it was time to put the plans into action. With a large amount of money from the trust fund he got from his grandparents when he turned eighteen, he was able to provide the startup capital and bought a posh studio type office where he and his friends can work and play. He also bought two additional cars, one for his agent and the other for work purposes. He projected that within a year or two, assuming he got decent numbers of job offers and bookings - he’ll be able to get back the capital. And even if he won’t, he’ll still had money left,  but this time in a form of a trust fund from his father and it’s due two years later.

 

With Yoon as his agent and manager, Jinwoo- his publicist, Taehyun – his personal sylist, and Hoon as his road manager and assistant –they were ready to conquer the Korean entertainment. And of course with Song Mino as their prized artist.

 

With every show appearance Mino had, be it for an ad campaign or CF filming or simply walking on the runway, expect his own entourage to be there.