Working With What We Have

Becoming the Stars
Working With What We Have
 
2
 
 
On Monday, Jungkook and I walked to school. The days were getting colder and every leaf on every tree was either dying or changing into their vibrant orange and yellow colors. Jungkook pointed out that the rivers and lakes of our neighborhood would be frozen and the sidewalks would be dangerous, so I had to hold his hand. I swear that he might be just making excuses to hold my hand, but I didn't really mind. 
" Come on, it's just so you don't fall and then your knight in shining armor will have to save you. This way, holding hands, I'll never let you fall." It was as if he was trying to woo me over but I know good and well he was just being a good friend. I considered him as a boyfriend once, in my mind, but I soon figured that he won't like me that way. It was possible, but it's a 50/50 chance. Anyway, when we had arrived to school the usual day routine was get there, learn, play, go home. 
 
But that was not the case for the boys of my 8th grade class stole Jungkook and said goodbye to me. Weirded me out a bit because he didn't usually hang out with them. Worried me more though. He once told me that they were pretty immature and acted like primary schoolers. He was all about that high school life. You know, a part in your lifetime where everyone is semi-grown, kissed girls/boys, and did the unthinkable. I was more of a stay close or you'll drift off into the abyss of high school. 
" It's no biggie Sun-Hi. I'll protect you!" And I made him live up to his word. Because whatever touched me, smelled me, or looked at me and wasn't the eyes of my best friend and someone I didn't completely know, I expected him to pull me in and defend me. But his words of protectiveness and whatnot still didn't ease the gut inside my stomach and it always gave me the taste of bile in my mouth of just thinking of what could happen if he wasn't there or if he just forgot about me. 
 
"Highschool will change your life!" Jungkook exclaimed as we sat together at lunch in the class room. It was more of a leisurely day since it was two weeks before we were finally graduating into high school. He picked from my bag of chips and munched on them.
" Yah! Sun-Hi, if you keep eating these you'll be fat and then your face won't be pretty anymore!" He chuckled and poked my forehead, but I ignored him and sighed. He leaned back in his chair with a loud sigh also, sounding as if he had given up. 
" Jungkook, remember when I said that high school is scary?" He nodded simply, because he was afraid that I will blow up on him for his smart mouth. 
" Well...what if it isn't scary and just like middle school. What if..what i-" he held a hand up and shushed me before snatching my chips and devouring them all at once. 
" What if it wasn't hard? I mean, you still have me to make it hard for you." He smiled and crumpled up the bag of chips and stuffed it in his uniform pants. 
" Yaaah~ I mean what if everyone was like nice and wanted to be our friends. What if....."
" What if we were to break up?" I played with the end of my bob cut hair and shrugged.
" Don't say it that way...it's as if we are together." 
" But we are..aren't we?" He grinned and put his palm over mine. The sensation of skin on skin, hand on hand, his hand on my own hand, was enough for me to heat up. I felt like a furnace. This is annoying the hell out of me. Quit it Sun-Hi!
" Sun-Hi we've been friends since, I don't know, diapers?! What is there to be afraid of?" He sounded more desperate then anything and with a side of something more.
 
" I'm not afraid... I'm just..."
" What-iffing?" 
"....Yea" Then we both sighed and our hands were unattached. The air was thin and it was like I was stuck underwater with no helmet to help with my breathing. This was a suffocating atmosphere right now. 
 
" So do you want to come over today? We have that project to do together. " Oh yea, I had forgot about this and that and all around school. That uneasy feeling of uselessness had overcame me all day. Jungkook must've felt it too because his eyes were begging to be seen, to be stared at. But...
"Yea..let me just get my bike from my hou-"
" No need...I can take you back. Just trust me and come." Jungkook grabbed my hand and it felt like we were raising through a time of distress. He wanted me to be there. To let me know why he had said such a thing back in the classroom. We were running for a chance to keep it together. To fix this mistake of doubting the impossible. 
" O-ok." 
 
Nothing is impossible with Jungkook. 
 

Hm? Hm? How was that?

SAVE ME FROM GETTING EATEN BY A TIGER BY COMMENTING AND SUBCRIBING! PLEASE