SOMETHING

Radioactive

 

The night had been uneventful. Taek and I had had a little late-night chat and there were a few suspicious noises coming from the direction of Wonsik’s and Hongbin’s room. Hyukkie and Jaewhan were up late into the night tinkering with the gear.

 

The next morning we all had breakfast and went down to the clearing where I had been allowed to run before. A little further off to the side was a flat area with no markings on it. Taek led the way and Wonsik out his arm around my shoulders. He had a little limp and I couldn’t remember him hurting himself… before my pondering could really start we arrived and Taek turned around and motioned for me to come closer.

 

As I walked I saw that there were markings, they were just dug down into the ground. So they wouldn’t move? The markings made up a circle and once I was inside Taek explained to me that they were training circles. They were meant to be used to train for combat situation where escape wasn’t an option. If you stepped out of the circle you lost. If you went down you lost. He motioned to the running track and explained that it was for training for escapes. He pointed off somewhere else and though I couldn’t see anything I assumed that the weapons training area he was talking about was somewhere over in that direction.

 

“Now.” Taek clapped his hands. “Let’s get started. Before I can train you N, I need to know what your fighting style is like. Come at me.”

 

Taek shifted into a wider stance and I did the same. I switched my annoying thoughts off and focussed on him. I saw even the smallest twitches of his muscles. He stepped left, I stepped left. We circled and I watched him. He attacked. A right jab, not much power. I could tell it was a bluff so I didn’t move but watched for the left kick that was going to follow. I dodged and sent him one of my own punches. A right jab to his side. I didn’t put much power into it because I didn’t want to hurt him but I didn’t slow anything down. I danced around him and faced him. I didn’t attack again straight away but watched him some more. A few more interactions like this and Taek straightened up.

 

“Alright N, I think I have a good idea of your style. Now come over this way… we need to test your strength.”

 

There was a row of SOMETHING lined up. Each consisted of two cement blocks standing close together with wooden boards sitting across them. As the somethings go further away from me, the more boards there were stacked up. The one closest to me had one board. The one next to it two, and so on.

 

Taek demonstrated how to break them and for a few hours I practiced. When I had the technique down Taek set me on the boards. I went through the first and second relatively easily. The third gave me some trouble, and I couldn’t break the fourth. Taek looked a little relieved. I wasn’t abnormally strong, in fact I was weaker than most of the people in the camp. Even the girls were averaging around the fifth or sixth, depending on how much work they did. Sabriel was the strongest of all the women in the camp and she could break 9 blocks. The strongest man in the camp was Rain. His name was Jihoon but everyone called him Rain anyway. He was Sabriel and Kate’s ex brother in law. They had had an older sister who had married Jihoon. She died a few years ago, just as Taekwoon and Hongbin had joined the camp. The story wasn’t theirs to tell so if I wanted to know more I had to ask Sabriel or Kate. Anyway, Rain was able to break 15 blocks.

 

My jaw dropped. He was able to break 15 of those things in one go?! What kind of monster is this guy?

 

We trained, I learned some techniques from Taek, which I was able to pick up pretty quickly. In the middle of one of Taek’s and my sparring matches a group of 12 guys walked on to the training field. When Taek and I had finished our match the one I recognised as Jongin walked over and offered his hand to me. I took it and shook it tightly, not aggressive, but firm. He nodded at me. We understood each other. He motioned for his friends to come over. Six of them came over. One by one he introduced them to me. I shook each of their hands and introduced myself. There was Joonmyeon, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Sehun as well as Jongin. After everyone had been introduced Joonmyeon motioned for the other six to come over while he sent the others away to train. He introduced them as Yifan, Minseok, Han, Yixing, Jongdae and Zitao. I greeted them and introduced myself. After that they left to their various training exercises.

 

When they had gone Taek came up and explained that they were other teams. There was a few teams and each one consisted of 6 people. Taek’s team had been the only one without 6 people. Any new members had never lasted more than a day, but seeing as they were able to operate without 6 and the camp needed their services they were allowed to go on jobs with only 5.

 

We trained for a few more hours, until it got dark and then we went back to the dorm. I was exhausted and Taek was pretty spent as well. Out of respect for their leader, Hongbin and Jaewhan decided to cook. Dinner was plain but edible and it filled our growling stomachs. After dinner everyone retreated to their respective areas apart from Taek and I who couldn’t be bothered to move. We sat in a comfortable silence until the question that had been plaguing me all through dinner finally bubbled to my lips.

 

“Taek… how many teams are there?”

 

“There’s us, Yifan’s, Joonmyeon’s, then theres 7 others. Yifan and Joonmyeon join their teams together to take on the huge dangerous jobs. They work well together, like two halves of the same group. There used to be more but some were broken up because their members had other skills that were needed more urgently around the camp. Sabriel used to be in one with Alicia and 4 other girls but they were disbanded because 2 of their other members were amazing at working with metal. Sabriel was the best healer we had and so they brought her in to work the hospital and train the others. Now she’s not the best anymore, that’s Demitria, but Demitria needs to learn to trust herself. Alicia was-is one of the best strategists we have and it’s her job to mentor any aspiring ones. The other two members of their team died along with Sabriel and Katherine’s sister after they were put into her team to replace two of her members that had been reassigned to the camp.”

 

I thought about it for a second. “Wouldn’t it be easier to identify the teams if they had names?”

 

Taek smirked at me. “They do.”

 

Taek explained everything. We were VIXX, Yifan’s team was EXOM, Joonmyeon was EXOK, then the 7 others were B.A.P, BF, Crown-C, Shinhwa, T-Top, DalS and A-P-K.

 

 

 

A/N~ these are the groups I used... I had to change some of their names so that they were less... kpop. I had to make them sound more badass :3 if you get confused I can clarify
(B.A.P, Boyfriend, C-CLOWN, Shinhwa, Teen Top, Dal Shabet, A-Pink)