Life Without You

When the Camera Stops Filming

 

            It’s been 3 years since I last saw him in person.  He has grown out of his boyish good looks.  His face was more mature now, a grown man.  He was taller and his shoulders were broader than before; he has aged well.  I’ve never thought that I would run into him here, out in the streets in the middle of nowhere.  I was out shopping when I stopped at the crosswalk to wait for the signal to go when I felt a light tap on my shoulder.  Turning to face the stranger I realized that it wasn’t a stranger at all.

            "Jiyong?   Is that you? Omo, it’s been forever,” I had exclaimed in sheer shock at the man before me now.  He pulled me into a tight hug, greeting me cheerfully.  “Noona!  It has been a long time, how have you been?”  Stepping back from his embrace, I glanced at the female next to him.  Looking at me sheepishly, he turned and took the person’s hand.

            “This is my wife, noona.  We’ve been married almost a year now.”  Jiyong beamed at me.  Introducing me to the lovely female next to him.  I greeted and shook her hands politely.  Not really knowing what to do at the strange situation I was in.  I ignored the painful stab in my heart as I watched him watch her.  His eyes were filled with love.  The same look that I have seen a million times before.  In the past that is, when he had looked at me.  But not anymore, now it was directed at her.

            We had made our way to a cozy coffee shop at the corner of the street, he insisted to sit down and catch up with me.  I felt awkward and out of place in front of the couple.  Not really knowing where to look, and what to say to him.  We talked for a few hours and then I remembered that there was a prior engagement that I needed to be at, standing up I shook his hand to say goodbye.

            Jiyong took my hand, and pulled me into another short hug.  “It’s really great to see you again, noona.  Please keep in touch, and take care of yourself.”  He said to me as he stepped back to wrap his arm around his wife.  I gave him a polite smile and told him that it was great seeing him again too.  Turning around, I walked slowly towards the door.  When I knew I was out of sight of the two, I practically broke out into a run, trying to put as much distance between us as I could.

            I quickly unlocked the door to my new apartment and threw my things on the floor as I ran into my room.  Throwing myself on the bed, I started to cry.  My pillow absorbed my tears and screams of anguish.   I cried and cried at the shock of seeing him again, and then at the heartache I felt from what could have been.  This was what I had given up, a life without him.

            3 years ago, Jiyong had confessed to me.  He had told me that he was in love with me since forever.  It had taken him 6 years to finally get the courage to confess, afraid that he would ruin our friendship.  When he told me, I was ecstatic.  I had loved him too.  But then my initial happiness was replaced with worry and doubt.  I told him that we could not be together. 

            It was not because I didn’t think he would love me enough.  But it was because I thought that I wouldn’t.  I was afraid, and I was a coward.  Scared of how the public would see me, dating a dongsaeng? I was scared to take the risk.  In the end, I left for America abandoning him and our friendship.  In the 3 years that I was away, not once did I contact him, or return his phone calls or emails.  It took me 3 long excruciating years to realize my mistake and when I had found him again he had moved on… without me.

            The grief in my dream woke me up from the nightmare that I was having.  I panicked, turning quickly to look at the sleeping body next to mine.  He stirred at my movements, and opened his eyes sleepily.

            “Bom? What’s wrong?”  Seeing the tears on my face, he opened his eyes fully. He turned towards me opening his arms wide.  I collapsed onto him, pressing my wet cheeks to his chest.  Hearing his heartbeat relief slowly washed over me, and the tears slowly stopped.

            “I had a horrible dream, Jiyong-ah.  In my dream you didn’t love me anymore, and you were married to someone else.”  I whimpered to him as his arms wrapped tighter around me.  He ran his hands soothingly down my back, chasing away the painful memories I was recalling.

            “What are you talking about, silly Bommie.  There is no way that I could ever stop loving you.”  Pulling me up higher, he kissed me lightly on my nose and stared into my eyes.  “I could never ever love anyone else in this world, but you.  Don’t you ever forget that!  And if you have that kind of dream again, just make sure you give me a good hard karate chop to remind me that the only person I am supposed to love, is you.”  His eyes twinkled in merriment.

            I shook my head stubbornly not giving in to his comforting words.   Seeing my continued distress, he leaned over and captured my lips in a long passionate kiss.  After I had long ran out of breath, he finally pulled back.  I could see the love in his eyes as he cupped my face with his hands, whispering huskily, “Park Bom-yang.  You listen carefully now.  I love you.  You are my light, my sunshine, and my butterfly.  There is no one, no one in this entire universe that I could ever love except you. You are my heart, Bom.  It beats for you.”

            My eyes fill with tears again, but this time it was from the loving and meaningful words that my husband was saying to me.  Smiling through my tears I look at him in complete happiness, “I love you too, Kwon Jiyong.  I could not love anyone else but you too.”  I kissed him again deeply, sending all of my love and need for him through the kiss.  I heard a growl low in his throat, as he flipped me over and pinned me underneath him.  He spent the rest of the night showing me just how much he loved me.

 

A/N:  Did I tricked anyone? =D hehe... <3 Kwon Jiyong with Park Bom.  The more I look at them.  The more perfect and fitting they look together.  I am beyond obsessing... >.<