Moonlight Sonata

A Little Prelude in Kyuhyun Major
“So I was thinking.”
 
“Oh no.”
 
“Okay, rude. I was thinking about this weekend.”
 
“Hmm?”
 
“I have some ty Chopin to learn but I was thinking after that we could...are you okay?”
 
“Yeah, why do you ask?”
 
“I just insulted Chopin and you said nothing about it.  Anyway, I was thinking we could...are you sure you’re okay?”
 
“Yeah I’m fine, why?”
 
“Because you’re being weird, you didn’t react to my hand on your upper thigh.”
 
“Kyuhyun, just play the damn song.”
 
“Ugh, fine.”

 
So things had sort of gotten back to normal. Sort of. Kyuhyun was out of his slump, his moral dilemma, and felt much much better after talking to his mom and having that truth out there. Yesung on the other hand… Well he had been much quieter since then. Kyuhyun knew he had called his dad and told him about them. Yesung’s father was… particular. He was stoic, that was probably the best way to describe him. It was impossible to tell whether he was disappointed, happy, or simply indifferent. It was difficult to talk to him. Well, that wasn’t quite true, but his facial expressions definitely rarely changed. But for someone like Kyuhyun, not taking his social cues from visuals, he was a bit easier to read. It wasn’t necessarily his tone more in his cadence. It was all very subtle.
 
“How did your dad take it?” Kyuhyun asked him randomly the day after, in the middle of their dinner.
 
“He didn’t say much,” Yesung supplied with a short answer. He had been too quiet.
 
“Is that a good thing?”
 
“He knew about my alternative lifestyle. He just didn’t know who was part of it. I surprised him, I think. Who knows.”
 
Yesung’s parents’ divorce was rough for him, and from what Kyuhyun know, and even as an adult. And because of his father’s stoicism, things were a bit rough for Yesung. Kyuhyun now felt more than ever that he made a mistake. Damn it all, he shouldn’t have pushed it. He decided to let it go but it weighed on his mind. He mentioned it to Donghae and Eunhyuk.
 
“You know Kyuhyun, Yesung never does things he doesn’t want to. He may have been a little hesitant to tell his dad, but you didn’t force him to do anything” Eunhyuk started rather awkwardly.
 
“But he’s acting weird.”
 
“Well you know his dad and how he is. It’s temporary. Yesung always gets like that when he has to deal with family. His dad is a statue and his mom...well let’s just say that she didn’t get custody for a reason. So yeah, maybe it wasn’t great to have that conversation but it had to be done. And Yesung knew that, he just took the bandaid approach” Donghae told him earnestly. “Don’t beat yourself up about it. Just give him time, a couple day, and he’ll be fine.”
 
“Yeah but-”
 
“No buts. Sure Yesung comes from a broken home and his relationship to his parents is a little bit rocky, but having this thing between you two work out is much more beneficial to him than whatever his parents might think.”
 
“Yeah!” Eunhyuk chirped in again, “and worst case scenario they’ll assume it’s just college experimentation.”
 
“Alright,” Kyuhyun said, a little defeated.
 
He had left at that, he still had a lot to deal with.That a lot being his ruined friendship with Ryeowook. He hadn’t talked to him in about a week. Yesung had convinced him to at least have a civil conversation, left him explain his actions. He had agreed to meet him at the same coffee shop on campus. He had arrived about 15 minutes too early, just to give himself the opportunity to bolt at the last second if he got cold feet. Alas, Ryeowook arrived early too, before the end of his reflection which would have inevitably led to him leaving. He didn’t like confrontation, but certain things had to be done, he supposed.
 
“Kyuhyun.”
 
“Ryeowook. Have a seat,” he replied in an even tone, not wanted to let transpire that he was half hysterical, caught between resentment, rage, and nervousness.
 
“Can I get you anything to drink?”
 
“I’ve already taken care of that, thanks. Sit.”
 
He heard some shuffling about, Ryeowook presumably removing his winter coat and setting it in the booth beside him. “Okay,” he announced, “I’m ready. Deliver my sentence, whatever it is, I’m sure the punishment fits the crime.”
 
Kyuhyun exhale loudly through his nose. “I’m not-” he started out far too angrily but then stopped and composed himself. “I’m not here deliver a sentence. I need an explanation and so do you. If it makes you feel any better, I won’t do anything about it. You won’t become unemployable because of me.”
 
“That’s certainly a relief,” Ryeowook said. “An explanation. What do you mean by that? You want to know why I did it? I thought I would surprise you. In a good way. Clearly that backfire and to be quite honest, I’m not entirely sure why. I get that what I did was unethical. Yes I went behind your back, yes I used your name and your account, but I thought, and believe me I won’t make this mistake again, I thought the surprise would outweigh the bad things I did. Or at least, give them a reason to be.”  He took a deep breath again, “look Kyuhyun, evidently I don’t know you all that well. I thought it’d be something that would make you happy but, really, I don’t know what makes you happy. I hope we can still be friends, I truly do enjoy your company.”
 
“Gimme some time. I can’t fault you for not knowing when I literally told you nothing about it. Just...I’m still a little sensitive about it so...you know.”
 
“I’m probably going to sporadically apoligize for the rest of my life for this.”
Kyuhyun chuckled, “I’ll tell you when I’ll have enough of your apologies.”

 
He felt better. Definitely. But there was something else on his mind. His boyfriend was acting strange and somehow, it felt like it was his fault. He might’ve pushed Yesung too hard by deciding they both should tell their parents. Yesung’s dad was cold and strange. He was a ruthless teacher and as a father... well he was stoic. His boyfriend had had a strange childhood mostly filled by intensive piano playing. It wasn’t to say that Yesung’s father had never been nice or affectionate. He had his moments, but they were moments, rather than a natural state. As for Yesung’s mother, well, after the divorce, she had grown more and more distant after losing the custody battle. Yesung rarely talked about her, rarely saw her. This all explained a lot of how he behaved.
 
Kyuhyun felt downright ty.
 
“Cheer up buddy,” they both said, clapping him excessively hard on the back. It was their way to dismiss the awkward atmosphere that had settled in the room. They were waiting for Yesung to show up to movie night with them. They had noticed, too, that Yesung was having a bit of a rough time, but they hadn’t said anything to not alarm Kyuhyun. It was nothing terrible, God knows they had seen Yesung in far worse shape, but it was something to keep an eye on. “We made cake.”
 
“I don’t want any, if you made it. Even I cook better than the both of you.”
 
“Yeah, that’s because you have an enhanced sense of smell or something crazy like that. Fine, I bought it,” Eunhyuk admitted. “And I got wine too, of course, because what would be movie night without some eight dollar wine bottle. Bottles.”
 
“We have a problem,” Donghae told him.
 
“If by problem you mean opting for a more expensive alcohol than soju for the illusion of class, then yes, we have a problem. I would go for soju, but it’s really no good for judgemental sips during ty movies,” Eunhyuk told him.
 
“Wow, you’re so smart,” Donghae replied in that strange tone of voice that told Kyuhyun that there was something physical happening he couldn’t see, and quite honestly, he’d rather not see.
 
“I quite enjoy the illusion of class if it can get me drunk effectively,” Kyuhyun said in a flat tone, hoping that what he had just heard wasn’t the ing of pants.
 
“Right you are, my friend,” Eunhyuk’s voice was a little strained.
 
“Should I just go?”
 
“No, no, huuh, we were just-”
 
“Don’t try to explain it, I don’t want to know. Just, just stop whatever it is and let’s all agree it never happened.”
 
He heard them both mumbled in agreement and shuffle around on the couch. “If you don’t want to hang out, you guys can just have the couch, I’ll be in my room with my headphones on.”
 
Eunhyuk and Donghae both protested, albeit weakly, but it was enough to convince Kyuhyun to not bolt to his room and lock himself in there. He wouldn’t be a er but he would certainly not sit there and witness whatever his friends had going on.
 
“When is Yesung supposed to arrive anyway? I know you said he had a previous engagement but he’s kinda late,” Donghae asked.
 
“Hmm, I don’t know. He said that if was more than half an hour late, we should start the movie without him. Wait no, hang on, let me give you a direct retelling of what he said. I’m sure I don’t need to be there for the entirety of whatever stupid movie any of you three idiots have chosen, I never get it anyway. And then he went on about a Disney rant and why specifically you, Eunhyuk, can’t pick normal movies.”
 
“Well, I picked a Russian horror movie for this week,” the man in question boasted. “It was recommended to me by a ty movie lover like me. She told me the dubbing of it was simply atrociously amazing it was a must see. But sure, let’s start it now.”
 
Whilst Kyuhyun couldn’t have cared less about the movie choice, hearing the myriad of ty sound effect and the stunted translation, it was painful but also kind of hilarious. By the description of it, the visual effects were equally as bad. According to Donghae, the ketchup squirting out of the victim’s next was very convincing, and the action was so exaggerated it was captivating. Yesung arrived about forty five minutes into the movie, just crashed on the couch and asked for no explanation whatsoever about what the movie was about.
 
“What sort of garbage are you watching again,” he said flatly after a particularly boring chase scene.
 
“Hyung, you may not get this, but this, this, is art,” Eunhyuk emphasized.
 
“Consider yourself lucky, at least you get to see the ty action, I just hear the ty action,” Kyuhyun added in a flat tone, not impressed. “If it wasn't for all the screaming, I'd think we were watching a ty film.” He paused for a second,  “you know what, this could a very niche genre. Guys, are we watching and I'm the only one not ?” He quickly reached for his belt buckle but was met with a chorus of protest.
 
“It’s not that, Kyuhyun,” Eunhyuk told him in a mock condescending tone, “if you don’t get it, you don’t get it. This is art and you can’t vulgarize it by putting it under the label of .”
 
“Right, right, and you couldn’t get a movie with video description?”
 
Yesung sighed, “you’re not missing anything, truly.”
 
That response was uncharastically bummed out. Usually, as much as he complained, Yesung would eventually get into the ty movies Eunhyuk brought over. He would join in the fun of tearing a new one to the artsy bull, but tonight, he just wasn’t into it. That was strange.
 
“Is it really that bad?” Eunhyuk asked, for a second sounding actually concerned. “I can turn it off if you’re not-”
 
“Don’t worry about it,” Yesung cut him off, “I’m having a bad day, it has nothing to do with you.”
 
They went back to the movie in silence, and it took more than a few minutes for Donghae to quip up and making a lewd comment about the main actor. Kyuhyun however, had stopped paying attention. Something was really bothering Yesung and he would have to get to the bottom of it eventually. And it would not be pleasant. Not at all. Yesung was a tightly wound spring that, when pissed off, would blow up and be incredibly unpleasant. Well, he could try to mend things in the meantime, by snuggling deeper into his boyfriend’s chest.
 
The movie ended without a hitch. Yesung really wasn’t into it, normally he’d eventually join in the fun and comment on the general state of the movie. But not tonight. Which probably explained why Donghae and Eunhyuk left rather quickly. Sometimes, they would stay over after the movie until late at night, but it was not the case this time.
 
“I have to find a movie to top this next week,” Eunhyuk joked weakly, “this was truly a masterpiece.”
 
“Save it for someone else,” Yesung replied, evidently joking, but he just couldn’t put his heart into it, and ended up sounding more annoyed than anything. “Sorry guys, I’ll be in a better mood next week for sure.”
 
They nodded and shut the door behind them, mumbling goodbyes, leaving Kyuhyun alone with Yesung in his apartment. Zhou Mi had a date and would probably end up staying over and his not so secret date’s place. It was Victoria. He had finally grown a pair and asked her out. Officially. So that left Kyuhyun with his boyfriend for the entire night, which in other circumstances would’ve been more than okay, but tonight… Kyuhyun figured he probably would not be spending a night of fun with him.
 
Now, the question was, how to broach the subject. At least Yesung had acknowledged he was in a piss poor mood. He didn’t particularly like confrontation, but sometimes, it was the best way to go at things.
 
“Mind telling me what’s gotten you so riled up?”
 
“Yeah, we need to talk,” Yesung replied in an equally flat tone.
 
Oh . Kyuhyun’s mind immediately jumped to the worst case scenario.
 
“No, calm down, it’s not that. I’m not breaking up with you. Chill.”
 
They settled on the couch, in an awkward silence. Things were awkward when things weren’t good. Kyuhyun couldn’t get a grasp of the situation, he didn’t get the normal cues Yesung was giving him, he couldn’t understand-
 
“Are you angry at me?” Kyuhyun asked, legitimately concerned, “did I do something? I know I bumped into your dresser the other day and something fell, but I told you about that and it didn’t seem to be that big of a deal you told me nothing was broken. Did I say something? Throw me a bone here I’m freaking out a little bit.”
 
“I’m not angry at you. It’s you… that will be angry at me, I’m sure. I did something. Behind your back. Something I probably shouldn’t have done without talking to you first, but hindsight is always 20/20.”
 
Yesung sounded absolutely defeated. “Go on then,” Kyuhyun replied, his mind racing to whatever his boyfriend could have done wrong that would be so terrible.
 
“When you… when your friend did that thing about you know what-”
 
“About Austria? I’m over it, we talked it out.”
 
Yesung sighed deeply and shifted on the couch. “Yeah. I went to the organiser of the trip and talked to her. I explained the situation and asked if it was possible in the grant to include funds to have an assistant accompany you. She said it was possible and that we should set up a meeting find someone suitable to go with you. I didn’t set up the meeting. I was… waiting to tell you.”
 
Kyuhyun was simply speechless. He couldn’t think of a single thing to say.  
 
“I know I should’ve consulted you beforehand, but I didn’t want you to get your hopes up in case it wasn’t possible. You have every right to be angry at me, I totally understand, and I won’t protest whatever you decide to do.”
 
He still couldn’t say anything. His mind was compeltely blank.
 
“Kyuhyun, say something.”
 
He opened his mouth but nothing came out.
 
“I get you’re mad, but don’t isolate-”
 
“I’m not… mad. I’m confused.”
 
“I know I acted without your- wait what? You’re confused. I was sure you were going to give me the silent treatment.” Yesung spoke again in a softer tone, “what are you confused about?”
 
He was feeling so many things. Hope, intermingled with anger, betrayal, happiness, and a whole lot of confusion. He had moved past the Austria project. He had accepted a long time ago that this dream of his would never happen in the way he wanted to. He couldn’t stay hung up over it. He had forgiven Ryeowook after a long discussion, and he had moved past this. “Okay. I’m angry but I’m more confused than angry. I’m feeling too many things.”
 
“Are you going to break up with me for this?”
 
“No, of course not. You shouldn’t have done that without telling me, but I won’t break up with you over it.”
 
“I’m not trying to convince you otherwise,” Yesung said weakly, “but you almost ended your friendship with Ryeowook over this.”
 
“Well, you’re my favourite,” he said with a smile, “I have mixed feelings about this but we’ll get through it.”
 
“So… you’re agreeing to set up a meeting?”
 
“I’m not agreeing to jack tonight. We’re dropping the subject and we’re making out on the couch until we get too sleepy. Deal?”
 
“Deal.”
 

A/N
First of all, I don't know why the whole text is in bold, I tried to remove it, but ain't happening. Also, I didn't mean to not update for like six months. Me thinks the next (and last) update will be around Christmas break. Because I !
Anyway, I rewrote this chapter like 5 times, and then it kept getting longer and longer and there might be some inconsistencies. Anyway last chapter next! Be excited for the end of a two year long series that definitely should not have taken that long. After that, I might stick to one shots. 
Anyway enjoy!