Conspiracy

Dear Pen Pal

Candice

 

When the documentary people had finished explaining things to me and had started setting up their equipment and schedules, the reality of what was happening started to come down on me pretty hard. I actually had to sit down for a bit. The hard reality of being alone... of having no one you can talk to... I bit back the tears I felt forming in my eyes. I hoped I wouldn't be alone for much longer. Whe the crew had set up their cameras and asked me to sit where they indicated, the questions started. It was about the same as the interview. Right up until they asked me a question that surprised me a bit.

"Now, your house had burned down when the generator malfunctioned and blew up, correct?" I looked at the man who was talking.

"We didn't have a generator," I said quietly, my brow furrowed in confusion. There were murmmers throughout the room and they stopped filming. Eric came up to me.

"Is that true? Are you sure?" I nodded. He went over to his partner and talked quietly with him, nodding occasionally, and the like. He came back over to me.

"We're reopening that case. I'm sorry to say that fire may have been intentional." My eyes widened. Who would... and why?? I felt my lip quivering, then bit it to stop from crying out loud.

 

A few days had passed. I took surprisingly well to the cameras, at least that's what they told me. They followed my every move, and I found the best way to deal with it was to ignore them. Eric had told me his findings on he old case, and we learned that the remains of the house had been untouched this whole time. We had lived in a rural area, pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. I guess no one cared about it, so they left it alone, instead of tearing it down or rebuilding it to sell... So we went to go check it out, the cameras following my little "journey."

It was a sight to see, really. Not much was left standing, and old caution tape still surrounded it, parts of it eaten away by all those years out in the elements. A bunch of specialists went in first to make sure everything was recorded and okay for me to come in after them to look for anything that could have possibly survived the fire. I stepped in carefully, my eyes taking in everything, remembering what it all looked like. I felt the shock of it all creep onto my face. Eric held onto my shoulder for support. There was only one thing I really wanted to look for in these ruins, and that was my keepsake box. I moved to where my room used to be. I wondered if it was even still there. I was just about to give up when I saw something under some fallen plaster. A small rectangular metal box. I quickly moved away the plaster and held the box to me. The opening and hinges were melted over, completely sealing it shut. I had Eric help me break it open. Everything was still safe inside, completely untouched by the fire and preserved from time. There were a few small pieces of jewelry that had belonged to my mother, whom I never knew, and all the letters I had recieved from my penpal. I felt tears sting my eyes and this time, I didn't try to hold them back. I let them wash my face as I felt the overwhelming joy and relief fill me. They survived. My letters survived. My most valuable treasure and memories survived.

 

A/N: Why, hello there! Bet you didn't think I'd be back, did you. Don't worry. I didn't forget you guys. I just had severe writer's block and I had misplaced where I had written some of the plot. I know this chapter is short, but I have to go to work soon. I need to revise some of the plot, anyway, so thanks for sticking with me. :) I hope I never have a hiatus that long ever again...