Chapter 3 Understanding

10 Days with the Demon

CHAPTER    three   understanding

 

This is it isn’t it? I kept on asking myself. I’m going to perish. I tried to convince myself that it was okay, that I have had a good life, but there was no use. I wasn’t ready; this is not how things were suppose to be. “Please, just 10 more days. Just 10 days to say goodbye.” I begged them. Tears were stinging my eyes, I tried my best not to break down, I didn’t want to show them how weak I am and I didn’t want my last moments to be like this.

“Just 10 and only 10 more days.” I heard Lay say.

My eyes widened and so did the eyes of everyone else. Kris let out a little laugh. “Have you forgotten?” He asked. “This will be your 10,000”

“I am very well aware of that.” Lay smiled at all of them as he approached me. “Think about it… We already missed the scheduled death and will no matter what get in trouble for it when the reincarnation agents find out, so might as well give her the 10 extra days that she wants.” Everyone seems to take Lay’s words for consideration. “And I’ll take responsibility, so you guys don’t have to worry, I’ll make sure she doesn’t get in trouble. You better start treating me better though; I’m saving your asses.” He gave them soft smile, filled with worries yet so sincere. They all looked at him and guilt and worry was written all over their faces. We all then left to talk at another place no wanting to be seen by the police.

“So where will Maria live now, we kind of destroyed her apartment.” Chen said as if they all have agreed to let me live and looked at Kris, even though he didn’t really agree with Lay’s actions.

“Fine, you guys talk about it. It’s not my problem. I’m going home it has been a very long day.” Kris said and immediately started walking down the street putting headphones in his ears. Xiumin also left soon afterwards. Chen and Kai then suggested going to a coffee shop and talk.

“Thank you for giving me a chance.” I smiled at Lay.

“I…” He stopped giving me an unusual look.

“Yeah?”

“Never mind.” He said as he shook his head.

We then started walking having small awkward conversations. We finally arrived and got our coffee, they all seemed like really nice people. Chen and Kai were always making lame jokes. I was a little worried about Lay he seemed so distant and… lonely but he’s always smiling; I wish I could do that more often, I wonder if others ever noticed. “Lay” I said quietly . He immediately stopped blowing his hot coffee and looked up. “Where am I going to live?”

“With me and the others, we have a spare room that we use for meeting but you can use it now.”

“So… How do we get there? Can we just go on a train and pass hell on the way to your house-”

Lay let out a small laugh. “We live in a normal two story house.”

“seriously?”

“Yeah, sorry to disappoint.”

“Why? Shouldn’t there be a place with dark scary looking castles for you to live in?”

“We, demons, know what happens to humans after the pass away but not before. So we decided that it was a good opportunity to know and understand how they live on a daily bases and what happens before they die.”

“Ohh”

“We all even have different regular daily jobs and different demon jobs. The daily jobs are not only a great way to pay for the rent, but it’s also a great way to get to know more about the human nature and all that.” Chen added

“What are your jobs?”

“I’m a professor, Kai is a waiter, Xiumin is a graphic designer, Kris is a lawyer as you already know, and Chen is a journalist. Our daily jobs as you can see all show parts of our personality so it’s really fun” Lay answered.

“For our demon jobs I can see the near future and how people die, Xiumin tells is who suppose to die he is basically the data collector, Kris detaches the soul from the body which is a very powerful and important job, Lay transfers the soul to the reincarnation agents.” Both Kai and Chen looked at Lay for a moment. “And Chen is still in his learning phase, like an intern.” Kai said.

“So is Kris your leader?” I asked.

“Yep, he got his powers from his father, who is by the way the king of all collectors.” Chen said.

“That makes a lot of sense.” I said. “Can you explain to me more since my life kind of depends on it?” I said quietly.

Lay gave me a sympathetic look and then started giving me a summery. “Like what was mentioned we are all basically demons, even reincarnation agents. But we are officially known as Collectors.”

“Collectors?”

“Correct.” He continued. “Our job is to collect the souls of the newly departed and them to the reincarnation agents. The reincarnation agents are in charge of erasing the soul’s memories.”

“So collectors work with reincarnation agents?” I asked.

“Yes although other collectors say that they don’t make it easy.” Kai added giving Lay an odd look. I wondered why.

“Still, we all have to work together to keep this cycle of life and death going.” Chen added.

Chen looked at his watch and said that he had to leave, Kai decided to go with him. I watched as they walked off down the street. I wonder where they are going. Can’t they fly or something? Walking seems awfully pedestrian. 

 

14don03-1.jpg