Chapter 1 Strangers

10 Days with the Demon

CHAPTER ONE { strangers }

The day that changed my life began with a mad dash to get out of the apartment to get to the office on time. Phone, keys, wallet… my folder! Where is my folder?! I started panicking, tossing the pillows placed on my couch on the floor, regretting not cleaning the apartment over the weekend. I grabbed a bottle of water and threw it in my bag, while still chewing the rest of my toast. I only have 15 minutes! I cursed at myself wishing that I hadn’t lost track of time like that. I quickly turned off the lights and ran.  Outside a light fog was still burning off, a sight I’ve grown used to during my year in San Francisco, a city I have always admired and wanted to live in. The first time I saw the city I just fell in love, it was so beautiful and the architecture was so interesting to look at, from that moment one of my dreams was to go live in the city. I rapidly joined the familiar mass of people and checked my phone. “I think I can still make it” I mumbled to myself optimistically. Something suddenly shoved into the street. I’m going to fall right into a busy street I thought as my bag slipped off my shoulder and I lost my balance. But somehow I regained my balance and watched my water bottle roll out of my bag into traffic. Few seconds after a cab flattened it, leaving a dark stain on the pavement. That could have been me, my eyes widened as the thought ran through my head.

“I’m very sorry! You aren’t hurt, are you?” a stranger asked two men were approaching as I stepped back onto the sidewalk. The first man’s voice was filled with concern, but his companion regarded with a blank stare

“I’m…I’m fine” I said with a forced smile on my face.

“I must apologize for letting Shadow off of his leash.” The stranger stated.

 “Shadow?”

“Come here boy!” a large dog scampered over. The first man patted his head gently. Shadow stared up at me with curious eyes. There is something eerie about this dog. “I don’t know what has gotten into him.” He said.  The other man just snorted and pulled out a pocket watch.

“Well… it all turned out okay and your dog is fine to.” I smiled. “maybe just be a little bit more careful next time.”

“Yes of course. By the way my name is Lay” he said as he held out his hand. I shook it awkwardly. Suddenly noticing how handsome he is.

“I’m Maria Parker.”

“Maria, I truly regret meeting you under such unfortunate circumstances. Please let me at least buy you a cup of coffee.”

Wait! Snap out of it I told myself. I checked my phone it was 7:33. My eyes widen as I saw the time and without even thinking I ran, regretting it soon afterwards. What was I thinking?! I didn’t even give him my number! I mentally slapped myself. But when I looked back both the men and the dog had vanished. My best friend Sora was waiting for me as I stumbled into the office at exactly 7:45.

“I made it!” I told her breathless.

“You have some explaining to do” said Sora.

“I know I’m almost late but-”

“Not in here” she winked and took me by the hand. Sora works as a receptionist here, and like any good receptionist she keeps this place from falling apart. Me and Sora have been friends ever since college. “So spill it!”

“Spill what?”

“The guys, Maria. Tell about the really hot guys you were talking to. I saw the whole thing.”

“Oh that? There is nothing to tell. Their crazy dog almost killed me so they stopped to apologize.”

“okay, right and…”

“And?”

“Well… Did you give them your number?”

“I was in too much of a rush.”

“What?! Are you serious?”

“I know, I know.. Believe me I’ve been kicking myself for it.”

“unbelievable” She sighed.

Just then the door opened and a man entered wearing black leather pants with a black button up shirt. Where have I seen him before? He looks really good with these leather pants; my train of thought was immediately interrupted. “Pardon me for interrupting” He said.

“Good morning Kris.” Sora said.

“Good morning Sora.” He nodded and then quickly turned to me. “And you are…Maria. Correct?”

“Yes” I answered.

His voice was so cool and confident.

“I believe we briefly met the other day when I joined the legal team.”

Oh that’s right! He’s the youngest lawyer here. I’ve heard that he’s absolutely brilliant, and a little standoffish. I suddenly felt self-conscious “Good morning.” I smiled.

“Let me cut right to the chase.” Kris said and he smoothed down his tie. “This is out of the blue. But I was wondering if you have any plans for tonight.”

“Tonight? I…”

“Maria was just talking about how she has nothing to do today after work.”

“In that case, perhaps I could meet you at your desk right after work?”

“That’s fine” I said.

“Wonderful. I look forward to seeing you then.”

Sora waited for him to leave before digging her elbows into my side. “You must have done something really good in your past life! Guys are particularly throwing themselves at you today.”

“I guess.” I smiled even though I’m supposed to be angry at her but it has been a while since I went out on a date.

At six sharp Kris showed up at my desk and we walked out onto the streets together. “If you don’t mind I thought we could go somewhere low-key to relax a little.” He said quietly.

“That sounds good.” I smiled. I’m used to having big crushed on guys like him from distance. I tried my best to calm myself down. “How was your day?” I asked.

“Pleasant enough. I asked you out and you said yes… kind of. Sora was the one who decided for you. I hope that you don’t feel obligated to go out with me” He said in a concerned voice.

“No of course not. I hadn’t had much fun these days because of work and family and all that. It’s a nice change.”

“Good.” He softly smiled, he should smile more often. “And I totally understand being busy with works and all that. I have noticed that you do things to the best of your ability.”

I blushed slightly feeling confused at the same time. Is he calling me try hard?

“I admire that.” he whispered gently. “There is a lot of paperwork. But I find that infinitely preferable to sitting through long meetings.”

I smiled at his matter-of-fact tone. “I agree.” I can see why some people might find him standoffish, but he’s just direct. It’s refreshing.

tumblr_m1gu84fMXu1rsv0mzo1_400.jpg

 

credit for layout angela_styles

link: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/239490/loverush-layouts-graphics-shinee-exo-layouts-resources-tokkiberry