Chapter o1

Calling You.

 

“Your parents think this is the best for you, miss.” Jieun’s butler said.

“Sending me to Korea is the best for me? Are you joking? I’d rather cut my head off.” Jieun protested.

Jieun, the shy yet pretty American-Korean girl looked at her butler with her pitiful eyes. She’s been living in America since she was a young girl. She could barely speak Korean and now her parents are sending her away to Korea.

Jieun’s parents are one of the important people in America. Her father is in the politician while her mother owns a hotel. They are a bunch of workaholics and barely come home.

“Do I really have to go to Korea? I mean, it’s bad enough that they don’t spend much time with me and now they want to send me away?” Jieun sighed.

“But you get to chase your dreams. I thought you’ve always wanted to become a singer.”

Jieun shook her head vigorously. It’s true she has always dreamed to become a singer but not in Korea. She knows she won’t fit at all there. She’s been so used to the lifestyle here in America, how can she possibly fit herself with a new environment?

“Not like this. I want to be a singer here, in America!” She almost shouted.

“There’s nothing you can do, Miss. Your plane leaves tomorrow morning.” And with that the butler bowed and left.

Jieun just sat there on the sofa, pouting. She knows she can’t change her parent’s mind and it’d be useless to run away from home. Her bodyguards will just be able to find her and bring her back home. Besides, they all know where her secret hideout is.

“Miss Lee, should I pack your stuff?” One of her maids asked. Jieun just simply nodded.

She stared at the big window in front of her and silently cries. After a few seconds, she wiped her tears and went upstairs to her room. Her maids were busy packing her stuff for Korea. As she entered the room, they all bowed to her.

“Please leave the room. I want to be alone for a while.” Jieun said, not looking at any of them. Instead she just looked down and walked to her bed.

The maids all looked at each other and exchanged glances.

“Ne.” They all said. They closed the door and were waiting outside. They could hear her crying softly, which made them sigh.

“If only her parents were always there for her.” Mrs. Ji, one of the maids said.

 

The next morning, Jieun woke up and she couldn’t see anything. Her vision was blurring from all the crying last night. She sniffed and wiped her eyes, and then she turned to look at her wall clock. 8.00a.m., her flight was at 9.30 a.m. She really doesn’t want to go to Korea.

“Okay, miss. Here is your passport. Your lane is -” the butler was interrupted by her.

“Aren’t my parents coming?” She asked as she looked around the airport.

“No, miss. They are awfully busy and -”

“As always. Never mind, let’s just go.”

The fact that her parents are not there to see her leave is very heartbreaking. Her parents didn’t send any of her bodyguards or butler along with her and since she’s an only child, she’s going to Korea alone.

 

When she arrived at Incheon Airport, all she could feel was the cold breeze. She dragged her suitcase along and then she hold up her hand.

“Taxi!” She shouted. But nothing was coming her way. She decided to walk around to ask if any taxi was available when she saw someone holding up a sign with her name on it. She tilted her head a bit before proceeding to that person.

Jieun stepped in front of the woman, with her eyebrow raised.

“Jieun-ssi?” The woman asked. Jieun nodded and she received a smile from the woman. “Follow me.”

The woman walked first, and Jieun followed her behind. After a few steps, they reached the woman’s car. The woman opened the trunk and went to get Jieun’s bag when she pulled it away.

“Who are you?” Jieun eyed her.

“You don’t trust me? I’m your mother’s friend…and also the president of your academy.” She smiled.

“I’m Mrs. Kim.” She took out her hand and waited for Jieun to shake her hand.

Instead, Jieun bowed and gave the suitcase to her. Mrs. Kim put her suitcase in the trunk and they all entered the car. Throughout the journey to her house, Mrs. Kim keep asking her questions while she only answered with one or two words.

“This is your house.” Mrs. Kim said as they arrived in front of a huge house.

“Mine?” Jieun questioned.

“Yep. Your parents bought it for you. Everything should be well organized already. Let’s go in.”

As she stepped into her house, she was amazed. It was bigger than the house in America and it is hers!

“Okay, sit down. We have to discuss about school.” Mrs. Kim patted the seat next to her, signaling her to sit down.

“School starts tomorrow. Your classroom is Melody and your teacher is Mr. Jung. I will give you your schedule tomorrow, so come to my office before the bell rings. Okay?” Mrs. Kim asked. All Jieun did was nod.

“Okay, I’ll be going first. My number is on the fridge if you need help. Goodbye.” Jieun got up and bowed, but then she called her name.

“Wait, so I’ll be living here..alone?” Jieun asked.

“Well, your parents want you to be independent, so..yeah.” Mrs. Kim nodded. “Goodbye.”

Jieun watched as she leaves her in the empty house. It was very quiet and she could hear all the movements around her. Jieun sighed as she dragged her suitcase up to her room. It wasn’t hard to find it, since there was a room with ‘Jieun’s room’ on it.

It was only 5p.m but she already felt tired to include that she has not adjusted to the jetlag. Jieun changed into her pajamas and tugged herself to sleep. She slowly started to cry as she thought why her parents were doing this to their one and only daughter.

She woke up very early the next morning, so she decided to brew some coffee. As she was sitting at her round tea-table, she suddenly remembered her workers at America. How she misses them all.

“I wonder what they’ll be doing when I’m not around.” She sighed.

Then, the clock 7a.m. It was time for her to get ready. After she got ready, she went downstairs to wear her shoes. But then, the door bell rang. Cautiously, Jieun took a broom from the store room and headed to the door.

“W-who is it?” She asked, swallowing her saliva.

“Miss. Your parents had sent us to you to your school.” The other person said.

“Liar. How can I trust you?”

“Call your parents to make sure then. Here” the person slid his phone through the mail-hole.

“Mom? Oh, okay.” She put down the broom and opened the door. The man stepped inside and saw the broom. He raised an eyebrow at her.

“Sorry. It was the only thing I could find.” Jieun smiled slightly with a soft giggle.

“No worries. Now, come on you’re going to be late.” The man motioned her to move quickly as she took her bag. When she got out of her house, she saw a limousine.

“Wait, you’re sending me with this?” She asked.

“Yes, why?” the man asked.

“N-no reason.” She looked at the ground, swinging her body with her hands gripping on the school bag.

“Get in.”

On the way to her school, the man had introduced himself. He said his name was Bae, so she should call him Bae. When she arrived at her school, all the other students stared at her. Some were even whispering to each other.

“Thanks…Bae.” She bowed to him. Then, she walked to the president’s office.

“A new girl?” A voice asked.

“Wow, she’s rich!”

“Probably a spoiled brat.”

People keep staring at her as if she was a Barbie doll. She kept her head down. The students’ whispers made her more nervous than ever. She had a hard time searching for the president’s office, but finally found it when she saw Mrs. Kim’s name on the door. Jieun knocked on the president’s door.

“Come in.” Mrs. Kim said.

“Good morning.” Jieun bowed as she entered the room.

“Oh, good. You’re on time.” Mrs. Kim smiled and motioned her to sit down.

“This is your schedule and your locker number and code. I hope you’ll enjoy your days at this academy.” Jieun nodded before leaving the room.

“Locker 13A.” She read the piece of paper that was given out to her. She looked around and after a few minutes, she found her locker. She tried to open her locker but it won’t budge. Maybe it was because she was shivering too much. She sighed as she gave it another try. It opened this time.

She checked her watch and she only has 10 more minutes until class starts. She quickly put her stuff in her bag and shut it tight. She then quickly looked for her first class; Vocal Class. She kept on checking the time as she searched for the class. She went up the stairs and turned left.

Melody Vocal Class.This is the one. She opened the door slowly to check if the teacher is in. The students in that class all looked at her at the same time. She blinked at all the students. There weren’t many students in the class, maybe around 10-20 students.

She took a deep breath before entering the room. All eyes were still focused on her as she made her way to an empty seat. The other students were whispering among each other.

“Okay class. Settle down. Today we have a new student. Ms. Lee, if you may introduce yourself.” The teacher motioned her hand next to her. Jieun nodded and stood up. She walked to the teacher and bowed.

“Hello. I-I’m Lee Jieun. Nice to meet you.” She stuttered upon her Korean as she looked at the ground and she didn’t dare to take a glance at the other students.

“You may sit down now, Jieun.” The teacher said and with that, she quickly took her seat.

The boys in the class stared at Jieun’s soft-looking legs. Some even tried to peek in her skirt. There was only one boy who didn’t look at her legs – he is sitting at the back of the classroom, beside the window. Instead he was looking at her sweet face.

She sat beside a girl with long, colorful nails. Jieun took glances to the girl sitting next to her, but all she gave Jieun was an annoyed face.

“Hey, you. Why do you have to sit here anyway?” a girl, with her mirror in her hand asked her from behind.

“Umm?” Jieun scratched her head as she didn’t understand what the girl said.

“Jieun is from America, so she doesn’t know Korean that much. Do guide her, ok class?”

“Ne!” They all shouted, looking at each other with evil filled in their eyes.