The Past

The Moon and His smile

It was 5 years ago when it happened.

Kim Himchan was like any other guy in this world.

He is a professional in every work he does and happily living in a unit with his boyfriend of 5 years.

Moon Jongup.

He’s the one who caught Himchan’s heart when Himchan fell deeply in love with the guy. Though younger than Himchan by a few years, Jongup is the man in their relationship and often leaves Himchan feeling like a teenage girl with her crush. They were in love with each other and promised to be by each other’s side forever.

Until something tragic occurred…

And Himchan learned that there is no such thing as forever in this world.

 

If Himchan was asked what he loved the most about Jongup’s features, the first thing he’ll say is that it’s Jongup’s eyes.

Whenever Himchan was around, Jongup really feels happy every time that he couldn’t contain his eye smiles to be directed to his other half. Jongup doesn’t know that it’s what makes Himchan fall deep into the blackhole called love.

If Jongup was asked the same question, his answer would be everything. The reason to that is because Himchan is his everything, and he loves him so damn much that it doesn’t matter what else happens as long as he keeps Himchan safe and loved but the thing that makes Himchan all the more attractive was when he makes Himchan smile the brightest.

 

Their work differs very much. While Himchan is a very well known interior designer, freelance photographer and a music critic specializing in theater while Jongup is a sought-after choreographer and dancer that many companies want to be in contract with. Jongup also owns a successful gym overflowing of people every day because of its facilities(and a few media reporters here and there).

Even though they weren’t married yet, Jongup had invited Himchan to move in with him when Himchan’s apartment was bought without him knowing and he’s in the verge of becoming homeless.

It was the start of a very irritating day for Himchan.

He didn’t get to drink his Americano yet because the café that was on his way to his workplace was crowded with people because of the sale they were doing. The Best Absolute Perfect Café owned by his friend, Hyosung was overflowing with all sides of weirdness and Himchan liked it because of their random events and hate it at the same time because he couldn’t get his Americano at times like this.

He missed Jogup already even though they were both together just the night before. Jongup was his boyfriend for 2 and a half years and they were nearing their 3rd anniversary.

When he went to his workplace, he realized that he left the key to his office in his home and no one else is going to open the door for him because Youngjae, his partner, is on leave because his boyfriend got sick and had to take care of him. So he had to go back to retrieve the key.

Only to find out a “SOLD” sign over the gate of his apartment that wasn't there when he left.

When he was informed that he only has a week left to find another apartment to live, his patience almost snapped and to calm himself down, he raged his way through the park just across the road to his apartment and ungracefully sat at the bench.

He sat there pouting fuming about his day and decided to not go to work and just go apartment hunting. He grumbled and crossed his arms and glared at the ground. ‘I wish Jonguppie is here’ he though as he sighed.

“Oh? I thought you’re on your way to work?”Himchan heard a familiar voice and looked to his right.

He saw Jongup smiling at him. Blinking, as if he was a hallucination, Himchan jumped to hug him just to make sure. Jongup looked a bit taken aback at the sudden hug but remained his balance and hugged the other’s waist with one arm to support the other.

“UPPPPPIIIEEEEEE…!!!!”

“I’m here~” Himchan only hugged him harder.

After a minute of hugging, Jongup began to move and sat them down on the bench where Himchan was previously sulking.

“So how’s your day?”

At that question, Himchan broke the hug to pout frown at his own boyfriend. Jongup chuckled and himchan’s hair.

“Let me guess, you haven’t had your Americano yet and you forgot something?”

Himchan looked at Jongup “How--?”

Jongup gave him a key ring. “You forgot this on my room yesterday so I thought I’d give it back to you.”

Just when Himchan was about to say thank you, a takeout Americano was placed in his vision that had the mark of the Best Absolute Perfect café.

“I figured since it’s a flash sale today, you won’t be able to buy some so I bought it for you.” Jongup grinned sheepishly.

Himchan blushed while taking the drink and pecked Jongup’s cheek in thanks. Jongup just put an arm around Himchan and pulled him closer.

There was a moment of comfortable silence as Himchan continued sipping his drink happily while Jongup eye-smiled everything that Himchan was doing…but then Himchan felt two rings on the key ring that Jongup gave him so he took it out.

One key was definitely his apartment key and the other one was a mystery.

Taking the straw out his mouth, he directed his gaze to Jongup who was biting his lip slightly when he saw Himchan noticed the keys.

“Jonguppie…” Himchan started but Jongup just held his hand and held the keys, too.

“Hyung, I know we’ve been going out long enough and that you want to respect my privacy…I love you so much…so I wanted to ask you…” Jongup shyly smiled at the other “Wanna move in with me?”

Heart beating frantically, blood rushing to his cheeks and a very bright smile met Jongup’s sight when he looked at his hyung.

“Oh Moon Pabo!!!” He was tackled to the ground by Himchan who was busy feeling happy to register what he just done. “Of course I would!! You really are my 1004!!”

So Himchan’s apartment hunting day became packing to move in with Jongup’s day.

It was 2 years later when they were living together that Himchan wanted to make their upcoming anniversary a memory that the both of them won’t ever forget.

All these years, even though they looked like it, they haven’t gone all the way through. Just a few moments where they would do something to each other and stop before it’ll get to the real part. Himchan wanted to save himself for the marriage since it was the best gift that he could give for Jongup if ever that would happen.

But since Jongup waited and respected his decision, he could feel his restraint wavering and Himchan also noticed that Jongup had to hold back from kissing him hard and holding him tight because he knew Jongup’s patience is already wearing thin.

And so when their 5th anniversary came, both experienced it in the best way possible.

2 months after that, Himchan began feeling sick everyday. Jongup didn’t notice it since he wakes up early, kisses a half-asleep Himchan and goes out for his morning jog and when comes back, Himchan would already be gone because of work. When Jongup came home early to freshen up and go to work, he heard Himchan throwing up and immediately rushed to his side.

“Are you okay??” gentle eyes glinted with worry as he saw his lover’s state.

“Don’t worry about me…I’m going to be fine.”

“No. How can I not worry about someone I love?” Jongup asked, hugging the older and kissed his neck “You want to go to the hospital?”

“but—“

“no buts. You will.” Jongup spoke in a final tone that Himchan could only pout and nod.

They both went to the hospital but when it was Himchan’s turn, Jongup suddenly got called into work. Jongup doesn’t want to leave Himchan but the older insisted and had reluctantly gave him a long kiss that got Himchan’s legs to give in if he wasn’t sitting down.

It was a day later when Jongup knew that Himchan was lying to him and hiding something.

 When he went home last night, Himchan had been asleep and he can’t see the results anywhere. Not wanting to wake Himchan up, he lied beside him after washing up and pulled him close, praying to God that everything would be all right.

And now, since it’s a weekend and both have no work, Jongup could clearly see that Himchan is avoiding the subject.

Like for example, breakfast.

Jongup loved weekend breakfast because Himchan cooks for him. It’s not that Himchan doesn’t cook on weekdays but when he does, he cooks dinner and Jongup prefers it if he eats Himchan’s food at the start of his day.

Jongup loves seeing Himchan at work so when he heard the sizzle of bacon frying, his eyes immediately opened and when the smell assaulted his nose, he got out of bed. He looked at the clock and realized that it was 9 in the morning, he must’ve been tired that he slept late because usually he is a morning person and wakes up before Himchan does.

He went and backhugged Himchan and kissed his temple murmuring a soft “Good morning.” To Himchan who smiled back shyly and kissed his cheek.

When they were eating, they had been quiet.

And when Himchan is around, Jongup hate the silence.

It was 3 in the afternoon when Jongup looked at Himchan curiously when he saw him dressed up.

Himchan smiled brightly when he saw Jongup by the door.

“Uppie!! I’m meeting someone special today and we’ll be catching up so I might be home late, okay?”

Not wanting to hinder Himchan’s happiness, Jongup nodded.

He doesn’t need to tell Himchan about the pang of jealousness that went right through his heart and a seed of doubt embedded itself.

~

Hours later, the seed of doubt begun to grow.

Jongup paced around the room. He was definitely curious who is that special someone is even if he’s jealous.

He began to worry since Himchan always texts him where he is when he goes out like this. So he called Himchan, and when he didn’t answer… so he texted him.

Himchan, where are you?

10 minutes later, he got a reply.

I’m in Best Absolute Perfect Café.

 

He immediately ran to take a taxi and when he entered the cafe, what met his eyes was Himchan hugging a girl.

Fortunately for him, Himchan hadn't seen him.

Jongup took a step back and turned away with a pained expression.

~

When Himchan got back, his eyes were so bright with happiness and there was a certain glow at him that almost made Jongup forget that he’s angry.

“Jonguppie! Guess what I found out!!”

Himchan stopped when he saw the rare anger present in Jongup’s posture.

“..Uppie?” Himchan tried to put his hand on Jongup’s shoulder but Jongup glared at him and slapped his hand away.

“Don’t touch me.” Jongup picked up his bag and started for the door.

“Uppie? Where are you going?!”

“Out.” Jongup coldly looked over his shoulder. “I'm done. We’re over.”

“Why…” Himchan broke out, voice cracking at the hurt he was feeling.

Jongup sighed. He can’t actually do this but he has to. He was not to be lied to.

He went to Himchan and kissed his forehead.

“I’m sorry, hyung.”

“Jongup!!!” Himchan backhugged Jongup to stop him from leaving. “No, don’t leave me.”

(originally, it was Himchan leaving…but Jongup want the character in my mind.oops ruining the drama, sorry!)

Jongup didn’t say anything but broke away from Himchan and couldn’t resist kissing his lips for the last time.

“I have to go.”

“BUT WHY. JONGUP, TELL ME WHY!!!”

“BECAUSE I HAVE TO, OKAY? I WOULD NOT BE LIED TO ANYMORE!”

Himchan stood frozen, it has been a long time that Jongup yelled at him like that and he shuddered after a moment.

Jongup sighed and shook his head. He didn't want to do this...but he have to.

“Good bye, hyung.”

“Jongup…”

Himchan thought that Jongup was just joking.

He’ll come back and smile lovingly at Himchan…

He’ll come back and hug him tight and apologize…

He’ll come back and kiss him hard to show his love…

They will be all right...

But as Jongup’s footsteps fade away,

Himchan crumpled to the ground and let out pained cry that ended with a heart breaking sob.

He thought Jongup will come back after he heard it...

 

But he didn’t.

 

TO BE CONTINUED...

 

 

A/N: soo... how'd the first chapter go? This was born when a friend of mine posted a picture of Bobby of IKON saying he is HimUp's love child. I was like "Hm. story plot here" after reading the comments. XD I'm sorry I hadn't posted this sooner, I was out of the country with Nature seeking love from me and had to take a break away from the computer for a while so I couldn't post it. well, Hope you had a merry Christmas and I wish you a jjang new year!!

01-07-14 shoutout to my commenters that made me smile today. I'm glad you're reading this story when I thought no one would XD