Chapter 4

Red Strings

In the week that followed, Kibum and Jonghyun hardly were together. Kibum rarely hung out with them anymore and the atmosphere became heavy.

                By the way that Jonghyun always looked at his phone, Kibum had done nothing to express his feelings.

                “Do you know where he is?” Jonghyun asked Minho one day.

                “Hyung, that’s the tenth time you’ve asked me that in the span of one minute,” he answered.

                The older male sighed before replying. “Sorry. I just don’t know what I did wrong.”

                An uncomfortable silence enveloped the room.

                Minutes later, Minho sighed.

                “You know,” he begun to say, effectively getting Jonghyun’s attention. “He’s not avoiding you because of anything you did. He’s not angry at all. In fact, at this moment, he’s probably somewhere close, thinking about you and wondering why you haven’t found him yet.”

                Jonghyun’s eyes were wide by the time the taller boy stopped talking.

                “You’re an amazing dongsaeng, you know that right?” the older one’s lips was cracked into a smile, silently muttering thanks before bolting out the door.

                “Hmmm” Minho hummed to himself. “Today is a good day.”

=== n_n ===

                By the time school was over, Kibum and Jonghyun were inseparable again, more so than before.  Minho smirked at the way the latter’s hand rested on Kibum’s hip as they walked.

                ‘Finally’ is what came through his mind. The red string tied to their pinky fingers shone in a promise for a long lasting love.

                Minho smiled at them from afar and walked towards the bus stop. He figured the new couple would want some time to themselves to confirm their love or something of the sort.

                The tall boy was still smiling like an idiot even as he sat at the back of the bus, right next to the window. He stared outside the window, waiting for the bus to move. The grin on his face grew wider when he spotted his friends walking towards the bus stop. Both pairs of eyes concentrated on the mobile device in Key’s hand.

                ‘They’re probably wondering why I ditched them,’ Minho chuckled to himself at the thought.

                The bus moved a few seconds later and he didn’t allow his eyes to leave his confused friends right outside the bus, that is, until someone cleared their throat to get his attention.

                Minho had taken a peak at the passenger beside him but he could not take a good look. He only noticed that the person nervously adjusted himself in his seat.

                There was a clearing of the throat again, another shift in the seat beside him. He fought not to pay it any mind, especially because he may not be the one being referred to.

                “Umm...” the person beside him started. “Kibum-hyung showed me a picture of you before.”

                It took Minho awhile before he realized that the stranger beside him was talking to him.

                “H-he told me to say hi... when I see you... riding the bus home,” the other said again.

                It was then that Minho shifted his position to face the person sitting beside him. He was surprised to find the blonde teen from the studio scenario a week before.

                “Minho-hyung... right?”

                The older teen nodded, a more gentle smile appearing on his face. “Taemin, yes?”

                There was a faint pink blush adorning the other’s cheeks as he nodded.

                Silence came between them, a shy and awkward silence.

                Minho took this silence as a time to observe. He looked as wonderful as he did the first time they met face-to-face. The tugging at his pinky and the bubbly feeling at the pit of his stomach rose again.

                “About that – what happened – studio...” Minho watched as Taemin shifted nervously in his seat while he tried to find the words to say. “The studio... kiss... “ the latter added, his voice nearly a whisper by the time he ended the phrase. “Wh-what was that for?” the blonde one finally asked.

                Minho shrugged, his smile never fading. He just couldn’t find an answer when facing such a beauty.

                “Were you just teasing me?” Taemin’s voice was so quiet that Minho nearly couldn’t hear him, though the way Taemin stared at him so intently made the older on think that this boy was serious about getting answers.

                Minho looked out the window, wondering how close he was to his house and turned back to Taemin a few seconds later.

                “There’s a park a few steps away from my house, we can talk there. Want to come?” he asked.

                Taemin’s eyes shifted to the front of the bus. “S-sorry, I have other things to do.”

                The older one stood up and grinned at Taemin before grabbing his hand. “You don’t really have a choice,” he says and drags Taemin out the bus.