Chapter 2

Red Strings

Minho had learned more about Taemin after that day, courtesy of Jonghyun who was too happy to have met the boy during lunch where they usually find an empty classroom to hang out in. Minho always leaned against the window sill, Jonghyun sitting on a table in front of the tall male and Kibum standing right beside him.

                “Taemin,” the eldest of the three of them ogled. “Is incredibly cute and he’s an awesome dancer and he can play the piano really well. Did you hear me?! HE CAN PLAY THE PIANO!!” Jonghyun’s eyes twinkled as he spoke, not once taking a break to breathe. “My dream of starting a band is finally coming true!”

                Minho rolled his eyes at him He could hear the jealousy seeping out of Kibum’s form whenever Jonghyun gushed about the younger boy. The raven-haired male, however, masked his emotions well, and with a flip of his hair, he managed to change the topic of conversation in the blink of an eye.

                “Don’t you usually take the bus home, Minho?” Kibum asked him suddenly.

                The tallest of the three nodded thoughtlessly and only after a few minutes of silence did he ask Kibum why.

                The raven-haired boy shrugged. “I think Taemin takes the bus too. Maybe I’ll just give you a picture of him so you can go talk to him when you so see him.”

                “Yes, cause it’s totally normal for a person to go up to another and be like, ‘Hey, I’ve seen your face before. Don’t worry, I know your friend. He told me to say hi,” Minho answered.

                Jonghyun chuckled at the statement and earned a glare from Kibum. As he raised up both his hands in mock defence, Kibum started to hit him, playfully – no doubt – but the expression on the younger one’s face was of annoyance. The older male only laughed at the fact that he was being hit, which only earned him more hits from the raven-haired teen.

                As Minho watched the playful exchange, he smiled to himself. Things were going well. It wasn’t until a few seconds later that he noticed a ribbon starting to form on the thread tying his two bickering friends. His smile grew wider, a few more days and they’ll be together just like what fate decided.

                “What are you smiling at, you creep?” Kibum’s voice suddenly rang out, successfully getting Minho’s attention.

                The taller teen’s smile turned into a toothed grin, pushing himself off of the window he was leaning on and opened his arms to envelope his two friends in a hug. Kibum’s eyes widened and his expression turned to that of disgust and slowly inched away, only to be crammed into the space that Minho’s arms provided, along with Jonghyun – that brown haired freak.

                Minho let go, grinning when Kibum glared at him and and stormed out of the room right when the bell rang. He stared at the older male who got left with him and received a shrug before they both left the room to go to their respective classes.

=== OAO ===

                He didn’t know what came over him that day but after school, he went to the nearby sports shop that he frequented with his brother.

                As he browsed through the merchandise, there were times when he asked himself what he was doing there. He wasn’t looking for anything to buy – heck, he didn’t even have enough money to buy anything. He didn’t want anything and he most certainly did not need anything. Why was he there?

                After the fifth time that question popped into his head, he shrugged, adjusting his school bag on his shoulder and went to leave the shop.

                He made his way to the bus stop to wait for his daily transportation home. As he waited, he engage in a nearly unhealthy conversation with Jonghyun about how the latter wanted to form a band with Taemin so badly.

                If Kibum saw their whole conversation, he would have been jealous. His name had not been mentioned once, even by his so- called childhood friend.

                As he went in and paid his bus fare, he felt a tug at his pinky.

                It took him effort not to look up and explore the bus interior with his eyes. Instead, he scanned the bus and took a seat. It wasn’t like anyone cared about where he sat.

                As he sat, Minho looked out the window, not knowing that as he got on, a person got off the rear-end door. The person’s bowl cut hair bobbed as he quickly gathered his things and ran out the door.

                Minho didn’t notice anything.

                As he stared out the bus window, Minho watched as a bowl-cut haired boy, wearing the same uniform that he was wearing, run the same way as the bus went. He wasn’t sure what was so intriguing about the scene but he couldn’t look away.

                Minho watched until the boy disappeared into a building and he blinked at the sudden loss of his subject of interest.

                He shrugged. There was a tug at his pinky again and he didn’t know why. An image of the running boy came to mind and in a fleeting moment, he felt like wanting to find out the boy’s name.

                ‘Hmmm,’ he thought, looking outside the bus window again. Maybe he could ask Kibum for some help with that... once he wasn’t so upset about that hug earlier that day.