t h r e e

A Twisted Fairytale

 

 

It was quiet as they walked down the street. Baekhyun held the music box near his heart, his fingers turning the object round and round in his hands feeling somehow ecstatic that the little box had been returned to him. Beside him, the giant was whistling a song cheerfully much to the ire of passers-by.

Finally when the fifth person gave the man a curious stare, Baekhyun elbowed him in the ribs in an attempt to hush him. Caught by surprise, the taller stopped the shrilly tune and looked at Baekhyun. "What?" he asked.

Baekhyun stared at him with a hint of annoyance as he placed a finger on his lips. The other's lips made an 'O' in revelation as he slipped his hands into the pockets of his jacket before asking, "Why aren't you talking? That time when we met, you gave me lots of advice-" He stopped talking when he caught the blank stare Baekhyun had been giving him for the past few minutes.

The other did not attempt to strike up any other conversation afterwards and Baekhyun continued fiddling with the music box. The initial happiness that he felt when the box returned to his hands now slowly faded away to another dimension as he lifted his eyes in a side way manner to look at the other man. It was as if he were in a dream- someone had come back from the past and he was not Kyungsoo, or Sehun.

A little fire rekindled with warmth inside of him despite the growing winds on the streets. The taller voice had become a deep one, so different from what he remembered, and he was much taller. His slight melocholy had also disappeared, becoming seemingly what was humour and kindness. Just then, the other started whistling again and Baekhyun looked disapprovingly at him.

The giant just cast a grin in his direction as he continued to hum. On a sudden impulse, Baekhyun hit his arm lightly and turned away. The corners of his mouth lifted up slightly as they continued walking. The taller then asked jokingly, "Do you even remember who I am? I might just be a kidnapper and you'll never know." Of course I know who you are, silly.

Baekhyun hadn't realised he had no idea where they were heading until a while later, but it became apparent when the other led him into a restaurant at the end of the street. "I'm assuming you haven't had dinner. If you were wondering, I haven't had mine either," he explained as he sat down on a chair beside a table. Rather cautiously, Baekhyun followed suit and sat beside him, looking around the restaurant.

The place was humble looking, it was not too shabby or too exquisite and Baekhyun quite liked the atmosphere. He then watched the other in a curious silence while he ticked on the menu studiously. What is on the menu? he thought to himself as he tried to peek at the little slip of paper. Ohhhh it's dim sum. He didn't realise he had almost invaded into the giant's space while trying to read the words on the paper until the other asked lightly, "Are you always this curious?"

Baekhyun then widened his eyes when he realised that his head was obstructing the other's view infront before quickly sitting back into his original position. He looked down at the wooden table apologetically. To his surprise the other just laughed gently and said, "Yeah I can feel your apology. Why do you seem so scared of me? I won't bite." He slowly turned his head to look at the giant with a blank face and the other just chuckled before standing up to pass the slip of paper to the counter.

After he had gone, Baekhyun took out the music box from his pocket and began fiddling with it again. With a small frown, he wondered in silence, He's right. Why am I scared of him?

 

When the food arrived, Baekhyun could not really believe his eyes. It had been a long time since he had dim sum. He then picked up his chopsticks zestily and was about to pick up a prawn ball when he saw the other giving him a discreet smile. Oops, he thought, I should have let him take first... "Okay don't give me that sheepish look. Just go ahead and eat," the other said kindly.

Why is he being so nice to me? he thought as he looked curiously up at the giant. His eyes were rather bright. With that, the other just gestured casually to the food and began eating them himself. Baekhyun then smiled happily to himself and picked up the prawn ball before putting it whole in his mouth.

"You haven't answered my question," the giant asked as he watched Baekhyun spoon a scoop of rice into his mouth. While he chewed on the rice, Baekhyun looked at the other questioningly upon hearing his words. The other took his look as consent and continued while sipping on a glass of orange juice, "Why aren't you speaking?" 

When Baekhyun heard the question, he stopped chewing and looked back down onto his plate of rice. The exhilaration rushed out of him like air out of a deflating balloon as he put down the spoon onto the plate gently. He then gave the giant a solemn shake of his head. The giant cocked his head in an amused curiosity before taking out his phone and placing it on the table. His actions caught Baekhyun's attention as he made a few swiping motions on the screen.

A few seconds later, the later then slid the device over to Baekhyun and he pushed it closer to his body to take a closer look. Why? the other had scribbled onto a notepad function on the phone. Sighing inwardly, Baekhyun hesitated before writing below the question, I just don't want to. He then pushed the phone back towards the giant who had been looking at him with... was that concern?

Ah I see. Then I'll make you speak again ㅋㅋㅋ

No you won't.

Aishhh. Anyway, what's your name?

Byun Baek Hyun. Yours?

You guess:))

With the latest text, Baekhyun then looked up at the other's face with scrutiny as the other grinned back in reply. Smiley, happy, quite happy go lucky, sunny... He then scribbled onto the phone before sliding it back over, I'll guess the first character is Chan. You seem like the meaning of it.

You're quite smart ㅎㅎ What's the second character then? 

Chan Yeol. 灿烈... 

Woah props to you! You're pretty clever.

Isn't it sort of obvious? I mean, Bright Sun. You're pretty much the epitome of it.

How would you know? You just met me.

Well you've been smiling and grinning ever seen I've met you. I think that's more than enough evidence...?

Honestly, Baekhyun felt a little upset when Chanyeol didn't slide the phone back to him after reading his message. He was starting to get comfortable talking to the giant. "Let's get going. It's late," he said with a smile as he stood up from the chair. Swallowing down the disappointment, Baekhyun gave a nod before following suit.

The streets had calmed down significantly by the time the two of them ventured outside. The traffic lights blinks forlornly on the dark street, only accompanied by the occasional street lights. As they strolled, Baekhyun felt content for the first time in a long time. He slipped his hands habitually to check on the presence of the music box and Chanyeol chuckled, "I can't believe you still keep it."

At that, Baekhyun shrugged carelessly, but in truth, he was trying his hardest not to smile. As he felt around his pocket, his fingers suddenly brushed onto the cold metal of a ring and he immediately retracted his fingers. The familiar cold came creeping back into his heart as he remembered the reason why he was out on the streets in the first place.

"Are you okay?" Chanyeol asked with concern. Quickly taking his hand out of his pocket, Baekhyun smiled and nodded his head with finality. They then continued walking down the nearly empty street in a comfortable silence as Baekhyun closed his eyes and took a deep breath of the crisp night air. He didn't know what Chanyeol was thinking, but he knew that all he wanted in this moment was to live a normal life. Maybe having nights like this often... Maybe forgetting everything... Maybe.

After a while, the giant spoke up with uncertainty, "Baekhyun, do you still like... music?" Upon hearing the question, a smile crept across Baekhyun's face and he nodded his head fervently. Chanyeol then continued after hesitating, his eyes not quite looking at Baekhyun, "Do you want to visit my studio tomorrow? I don't mind giving you a tour, if you don't mind."

Baekhyun stopped in his tracks and stared at the taller with a mixture of amusement and curiosity. Why is he being so nice to me again?

When Baekhyun gave no reply after a while, Chanyeol began to back out with a sheepish grin, "Nah if you don't want it's okay-" Baekhyun quickly reached out his hand and placed it on the other's arm firmly. After a shocked second or two, the giant looked at him in surprise as Baekhyun smiled and nodded his head.