Welcome to the A.R.M.Y.

The Red Bullet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~What am I to you, girl? What am I to you? I do love you, crazy uh do you?~

    As the music video comes to an end, the holographic billboard that sits in the center of the city, changes it's screen to read "That was 'What am I to you?' composed and performed by Rap Monster of BTS. Now back to your regularly scheduled program." The screen changes again as a female, robotic voice tells the citizens, "Welcome to Seoul, South Korea. The date today is November 26, 3014. The time is 18:00. The weather today is slightly cloudy with a cool breeze at 5 degrees Celsius." The screen finally changes to read "Virtual Paradise" as the robotic voice continues to say, "Be the first of your friends to enter 'Virtual Paradise' an escape from reality to the life you really want. Bored? Too much free time? Not feeling fulfilled in your life? Virtual Paradise will solve all of your problems, the world is limited only by your imagination. Simply step into our office and sign up with one of our representatives. Act fast and don't be the last. This hourly report is brought to you DK agency, the agency that serves and protects its people."

    "What a load of bs." A girl with dark skin and long dark hair stands in the middle of an alleyway with a light coat on. "But I suppose if I could actually afford to enter this 'Virtual Paradise' I wouldn't be as negative." She sniffs as she adjusts the bag on her shoulder.

    "Hey, lady! Move out of the way! You're standing in the middle of our game." A little boy yells at the girl.

    "Yah! I'm older than you, why don't you try showing a little respect!" She shouts back.

    "Go somewhere else, old lady. We're trying to win the LD competition!" Another boy yells as he tosses a shiny disc across the yard and it whizzes past the girl's head.

    "Aish, kids these days... No respect!" She sneers at the boys. Just as she's about to walk away, she turns and bumps into a large man, dressed all in black. A couple of other men, dressed in the same black suits stand behind him.

    "Are you Snigdha?" The man's deep voice seems to echo in the alleyway.

    "Who's asking?" She glares at him, already sure of who he is.

    "Come with us." He tells her and moves to grab her arm, but she quickly hits him with her bag and makes a run for it in the other direction.

     "Get her!" She hears him yell. They all run after as she makes a sharp turn around the corner.

    At the same time, inside the DK agency building...

    "Captain Dongwook, sir?" A man standing in front of the monitors speaks up.

    "What is it lieutenant Minwoo?" The man sitting in the middle of the room asks.

    "Our monitors have picked up something that resembles criminal activity near the western border." Minwoo says as he points to screen in the lower left corner. Dongwook leans forward as he takes a closer look.

    On the screen, Snigdha is seen being chased by the group of men. They pursue her into a more open area, where they run through a large crowd of people. Snigdha seems to be able to move faster, since she's smaller and more agile, but they don't give up. 

    "Either something is wrong with the scanners or there's something different about this girl." Minwoo tells him.

    "What's wrong with the scanners?" Dongwook asks.

    "Well, here it lists all of the girl's vitals and physical information, but it's all way above that of the average teenage girl, sir." Minwoo points to the screen as the cameras scan Snigdha's body and display her information on the screen.

    Snigdha turns to see the men still chasing her, so she begins to scale the nearest building. Dongwook's eyes widen as he watches this teenage girl carry herself up the 4 story structure. She knocks on a window and someone is seen opening it and helping her in. Once the men are able to make it through the crowd, they look around and one of them grunts angrily as they realize that they've lost her.

    "Hm... Impressive..." Dongwook hums thoughtfully as he leans back and rubs his chin.

    "What do you think should be done, captain?" Minwoo asks as he turns off the monitor.

    "I have an idea." Dongwook states, standing up with his arms behind his back. "Find the girl and bring her to me."

    "Yes, sir." Minwoo bows and orders a couple of men to follow him.

    Inside the building...

    "Thanks again for helping me, Minzy." Snigdha breathes out a sigh of relief as she leans her back against the wall.

    "Hey, no problem. I was just leaving for work." A girl with short red hair tells her.

    "Still working at the pill factory?" Snigdha asks.

    "Yeah, it's boring, but it pays well... Not enough to pay your debt, but..." Minzy looks down sadly.

    "Hey, we both know that you don't have 53,683,500 ₩. If you did, we wouldn't be in this situation. I'm just thankful for all the help you've already given me." Snigdha patted her on the back.

    "I wish I could help you more." Minzy says.

    "You really want to help me? Keep working at the factory and maybe we can make enough to buy two tickets to the Virtual Paradise." Snigdha smiles.

    "Don't even joke like that." Minzy scowls. "I don't want to go there after what happened to Bom's boyfriend."

    "What happened?" Snigdha looks at her with curiosity.

    "You really don't know?" Minzy asks, then turns her head. "I better get going." She grabs the keys to her car and is halfway out the door, before she turns around and tells Snigdha, "Stay out of trouble, ok?"

    "You know me." Snigdha smiles.

    "Yeah, I do." Minzy smiles back and leaves.

    "I better work hard to find a job too." Snigdha says to herself as she opens her laptop and begins typing. An hour passes and a knock at the door is heard. "Who is it?" Snigdha stands up and looks out the peep hole when no one answers. Three men are standing outside her door and she doesn't recognize them. "They don't look like the usual guys..." Snigdha tells herself. "But just to be safe..." She slowly moves to the window and opens it, quietly sneaking out and begins to climb down.

    She hears the men knock again and nearly falls when they kick the door down. "She's not here." One of them states as they look around.

    "Where could she have gone?" Minwoo asks. All three turn towards the open window.

    "There she is!" They look at her and she stares up at them. Minwoo sticks his head out the window and points a gun at her.

    "Shi-!?" Snigdha swears as Minwoo fires. A small needle shoots out and hits her in the neck. "Ah!" She puts a hand to the wound. A sharp, stinging pain is felt before her vision begins to turn blurry and her eyelids become heavy. She looks up again to see the faces of the men start to fade as her grip loosens and she falls. The cement floor quickly grows closer before her mind goes blank and her last thought is, "I should've smacked those boys in the head before I left..." 

~

    "She looks the same, doesn't she?" A voice echoes in the room.

    Snigdha's head rolls to the side as she slowly comes back to consciousness.

    "I don't see it..." Another voice states.

    "If her skin was just a little lighter and with a little makeup... They'd look exactly the same!" 

    "I guess you're right..."

    "Wh-what's going on...?" Snigdha slurs her words. A bit of drool drips from the corner of , but she finds her hands tied behind her back, so she can't do anything about it.

    "Looks like she's coming to." She hears a man's voice. Deep, but friendly.

    Her eyes adjust to the light and everything suddenly becomes clearer. The room is dark, with only one light hanging overhead and the wall in front of Snigdha is lit up by a holographic projector.

    "Where am I? Why am I here?" She turns her head to the side to see a couple of men going through her jacket. They pull out her wallet and some papers.

    "Hey! That's my stuff!" She shouts.

    Minwoo picks up her wallet and reads her ID card. "Snigdha Desaty, 16 years old. Female, country of origin: India... Where are your parents, little girl?" He asks.

    "They're dead." She spits.

    "I'm sorry to hear that..." He looks down and puts the ID and wallet back.

    "What do you want from me? I don't have the money yet." Snigdha looks around the room, but it's all dark. She can't even find the door, but she suspects that it's behind her.

    "What money?" Dongwook asks.

    "You're not... The same guys that were after me today?" Snigdha seems genuinely shocked.

    "No, we're part of the DK agency, that's Captain Dongwook and I'm lieutenant Minwoo." He salutes. "We live to protect and serve the people of South Korea."

    "So you don't know about the debt?" Snigdha asks.

    "Well, I wasn't going to ask you about that, but since you brought it up..." Dongwook gestures for her to explain.

    She sighs before taking a deep breath and speaking, "Apparently my father had a gambling problem when he and my mother were staying in China, and when they passed away, that debt fell to me. Now the Chinese mafia is after me and I suppose having someone like me in your precious city doesn't look too good does it?" She raises an eyebrow and both Dongwook and Minwoo simply look at her before glancing at each other and nodding.

    "What would you say if we told you, we could erase that debt?" Dongwook asks.

    "I'd say bs." Snigdha scoffs. "Why would you help me?"

    "Because we need your help with something." Minwoo says, before turning on the monitor on the wall, illuminated by the holographic projector, a picture appears of 7 boys. "Do you know of the entertainment group BTS?"

    "I suppose I've heard a bit about them, why?" Snigdha looks at each of their faces, quickly memorizing all of the details.

    "We have reason to believe that one of these boys stole a very important file from one of our highly secured offices." Minwoo explains.

    "And what was on the file?" Snigdha turns to him and he just looks away.

    "That's confidential information." He says as he adjusts his tie and continues to explain. "We're not quite sure which one stole from us, at this point, but we were able to catch him on camera and even though we didn't get a picture of his face, we did get this." He puts a screenshot from one of the security cameras on the projector. The photo is blurry and a little too dark to see, but it looks like the figure of a young man escaping through a window. On the sleeve of his jacket is a small symbol.

    "Where have I seen that symbol before?" Snigdha asks herself as she thinks hard. And then it hit her. A few months back, while she was staying in Seoul, she saw some boys with the same symbol on their clothing. She didn't know who they were then, but it looked like they were filming something at the time.

    "Every entertainment group has a unique symbol to differentiate them from other groups. Fans tend to use these symbols to show their support for their favorite groups, but this photo was taken long before these boys started getting any recognition."

    "So, you want me to steal the file back?" Snigdha asks.

    "No, we want you to kill him." Dongwook tells her and she almost chokes on her own spit.

    "You want me to what!?" She looks at him with wide eyes.

    Dongwook doesn't answer her, instead he pulls out a suitcase and inside the suitcase is a small pill bottle with a red pill inside. "This is an experimental new pill that's guaranteed to kill its target within 7 seconds of ingesting. Its creator calls it 'The Red Bullet.'" Dongwook holds the pill up between his fingers as the light from above shines through it.

    Minwoo unties Snigdha's hands as Dongwook hands her the pill. "Your mission is to find the thief and kill him, using this. According to its creator, it should give the appearance of death by heart attack."

    "What if I get the wrong guy?" Snigdha asks, holding the pill as if it might bite her.

    "There will be a public outcry either way, but because you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter