Subway Line No. 2

Subway Line No. 2

 

- subway line no. 2 -

 

 

 

 

 

It was a hot day, in the midst of a sweltering summer, some time in the evening.

 

The boy in white button down and grey pants took out his iPod, untangling the wires of his earphones and stuffing the earbuds into his ears. School was over for the day and the station was filled with students, as well as adults getting off from work. His tie was off, his top botton undone and collar let loose. He hated this sweaty and stuffy feeling and how his uniform sticks to his body, clinging on like a film. How uncomfortable.

Summer is just not Taehyun's thing.

 

He bobbed his head according to the rhythm of the music, his foot tapping the beats on the ground. How he wished he's at home right now, sitting under the air-conditioner (on full blast) with a tub of ice cream in his hands while watching the foreign movie he had downloaded yesterday.

 

The usual announcement played from the speakers, alerting the evening crowd waiting at the platform of an oncoming train. The train arrived a minute later, packed with people inside the metal body of it. He stepped aside to let the people alight at this station, challenging the flood of passengers by standing in their way was never wise. The mundane sequence happened everyday - train comes, people getting off, people rushing to get on (especially the middle aged and elderly), before he got onboard to make his ride home.

 

 

"Yah Pyoji! The train is here! Hurry!"

 

 

x

 

 

He checked his watch. 7:16 AM.

Mino had been waiting at the subway station for his best friend. He had went to bed late last night, gaming with his group of friends as they chatted over the phone. Now here he was, up and early in the station, ready to head for school. Aside from sleepiness and restlessness, the pangs of hunger wasn't serving his morning too well in addition. Looking around, he found the vending machines.

He heads over to one, dropped some coins into the slot and chooses a cereal bar and a bag of chips. He's overweight, Mino was aware of that, but he loves food too much. How could he just stand there and wait for Jihoon without doing something to pass time? If he's eating, at least he's keeping his mouth active, actually doing something. Even though he already had breakfast before he left the house, two toast and a cup of juice wasn't enough, they've been digested along the journey here anyway.

(He likes to delude himself that way.)

Munching, he walked towards the far end of the platform. The ends of the train always had the most space, without too many people crowding inside the enclosed area.

There was just only another person waiting there, a boy leaning against the wall with his eyes closed. They wore the same uniform, both donned in the colors and design of his school.

Mino was a student in a multi art high school, a school quite well known for their impressive alumnis who had made their way into the music and entertainment industry of the country. As a rapper, he has great passion in it. He belonged to an underground crew, together with the hyungs he's grateful towards for guiding him well in this music scene, supportive of his creations. Occasionally, he would do some stages with them to build up his experience, but he actually preferred making rap mixtapes and writing lyrics, recording them in his room. Like all teenagers, Mino had his own insecurities; he isn't quite confident of his appearance yet, seeing how the ladies tend to look at other rappers in his team, and how they never seemed to spare second glances at him. He had known that it's the talent that really counts, not just solely on visuals, but the world is superficial. He still needed more time to be able to perform for a crowd with a level of confidence and charisma.

Instead of music, he took visual arts in school since he had his own impressive set of talents in illustration, something he loves almost as much as rap and hip hop.

Mino opened the bag of chips, taking another glance at the boy as he did so. He regarded him attractive, pretty, in fact.

His phone buzzed and he stared at the text message, incredulous. He tapped a reply back furiously, a scowl upon his face.

The train arrived and he could only watch the boy step inside, as the doors closed a moment later and the train shuttled off to the next station. The initial crowd of commuters had boarded the 7:20 train, heading towards their destinations, while Mino was still left at the subway station, waiting for his best friend who had just informed him that he had woken up only a minute ago.

He'd be late for class if he waited for Pyo Jihoon, they'd both be late, but that's what friends were for.

 

 

x

 

 

He buttoned up his coat to protect himself from the cool winds of autumn. Although it was not the kind of bitter chill that cuts into bone, the drop in temperature after this morning's rain did affect those who are sensitive to the cold. The air is crisp and fresh, lightly scented with the smell of nature. The fallen leaves in browns and oranges and reds litter the ground, spread across the way like a carpet of warm earthy hues.

"Taehyunie! Aren't you coming with us?"

The girls from his class called out to him, giggling when he turned to their direction. He was quite popular among the female students, but Taehyun didn't find any interest in a relationship yet. He shook his head with an uneasy smile, rejecting their invitation evidently.

In another week's time, he would be trying out for one of the big entertainment companies in the country, so he needed to put in time to prepare for his audition, and he really needed more practice.

The journey to the subway station took much longer time than the usual. On most days, he'd take the public bus to the station, which was just four stops away from school. But today, he decided to take a walk there instead. He likes autumn, even though he could not stand cold temperatures well.

It soothed him, the surroundings delivered serenity and tranquility, even the sounds of the traffic were muted, faded nicely into the background.

He did like spending some time alone.

Taehyun got a cup of takeaway coffee for his 30-minutes ride home. The rich smell of roasted coffee beans filled him up, invigorating his senses, while the whirring sound of the machine brewing was familiar and comforting. He smiled at his co-worker, thanking him for the free drink before he checked his schedule with the cafe manager for work this weekend.

He reached the entrance of the station, three shops down the street later. His mood was ruined immediately, quietude vanished, when a boy collided into him from his back. He lost his balance and nearly fell down the stairs, if not for his quick reflexes. He hauled himself up with the support of the handle bar by the side, breath quickened and heart pounding. Unfortunately, his cup of coffee was flung out of his hand, the drink splattered over the tiles of several steps in dark marks and splotches, the liquid spilled and dripping down in perpendicular trails. Taehyun threw a hostile glare at the boy, his detest intensified when he only got a half-hearted apology and an apologetic shrug in return. Before he could say anything, the boy was in alert and took off suddenly, running down the stairs in quick steps. The boy broke into an obnoxious laughter - much to Taehyun's annoyance - as he turned back a few times to look behind him. His face was twisted with displeasure, sighing as he picked the cup and lid off the ground. A loud voice yelled out from behind him, a low and deep one, with a tone of frustration.

"ing bastard! Return me my sketchbook!"

Taehyun swerved to a side instantaneously, the palpitations in his chest aching from the fear of getting knocked down a second time. The second boy zipped past him, not noticing his plight. He recognized the uniforms on both boys, they were wearing the same navy blazer jacket and grey pants he has on.

What an embarrassment.

He headed down the stairs carefully, tossing the empty cup into a bin.

The second boy chased after the first in the underpass, trying to make a grab for the sketchbook.

Both of them are much bulkier than him, no wonder he had nearly tumbled down the stairs from the forceful impact. His body was slim and he looked weak on the outside in comparison to the other boys of his age, but he took martial arts lessons so he was capable of fending himself. He considered his soft feminine features and quiet personality somewhat a disadvantage, making him appear like an easy target. Back in middle school, he was picked on for his deceiving impression, however, his classmates backed off when they learnt that he shouldn't be messed with. It was regrettable that he didn't manage to show those two dumb bastards some of his abilities, and that he had let them off so easily

He glanced over at the two troublemakers - both of them were bespectacled, one with a horrible afro and the other with shoulder-length hair, fringed combed over greasily to one side, exposing his forehead. They looked comical, and Taehyun rolled his eyes.

The rest of his way to the train platform went fine after that, uneventful and accident-free.

 

 

x

 

 

"You dropped something!"

Mino picked up the wallet and rushed out of the train, hoping to catch the owner of it. He tried to tap the back of the boy before him but he was walking too fast for his arm to reach him, moving along with the evening crowd pushing in all directions. He bumped into a few people to get forward, his eyes never leaving the assumed owner of the wallet.

Finally close enough, he made a quick grab at the boy's backpack, jerking him back all of a sudden.

He might have used a bit too much strength, as he caused the boy to stumble backwards unto him. He held him up quickly to keep him stable on his feet, allowing him to regain his balance. The boy whipped around swiftly and stared right at him. Frustration and annoyance were manifested onto his face; he's frowning, waiting.

"I'm sorry..." he mumbled, "I just want to say that you've dropped your wallet." Mino gulped, feeling apologetic for the rough action earlier on.

He handed him the wallet, but the boy did not take it. The boy dropped his gaze to the worn brown leather, before he looked back at him.

"Oh?" The boy's brows raised one of his slanted brows, seemingly unamused. He let out a huff of air, lips curving up into a mocking smirk. He pulled out something from his pocket.

 

It was a wallet. To be more exact, his own wallet.

 

"Student, you got it wrong. This wallet is not mine," he pointed at it, "and I don't think you can find the owner now." The boy looked around, eyes searching.

He tilted his head to a side, directing his attention over. "Leave it at the control station or take it to the police station. Okay, that's it. Bye."

The boy turned away immediately, lips twitching while he re-adjusted the bag straps sitting on his shoulders. He shook his head and left. Mino thought he had caught a glimpse of a haughty look on the boy's face, for just the slightest moment. It might have all been his own imagination, but he frowned when he remembered how tense their short interaction had been.

Soon, Mino lost him in his sight.

 

 

x

 

 

Someone shoved him forcefully from the back the moment the train doors opened and people rushed in. He fell forward and bumped into another person, who held him up firmly, a hand supporting on his back.

"Thank you." He muttered.

Taehyun looked away before the stranger could return a response, biting down on his lips. He didn't really like to have too much contact or interaction with people he did not know. He smoothed his hair down, tucking the longer strands behind his ear. His hadn't trim his hair for quite some time. In fact, he's trying to grow them out, trying a change in his look. He pulled up his sleeves before reaching for the handles, while another hand searched his pocket for his iPod. The only thing that could make such insufferable rides better was his music playlist.

 

 

Mino looked at the boy standing beside him. He might have stared a little too long because he reminded him of someone, or something. An alpaca?

The boy had knocked into him earlier because the train was too packed, and people were pushing their way through in order to board or alight.

He stole another glance, checking him out. The boy kept his eyes closed, absorbed into the song playing from his earphones. The boy hadn't look at him again after the occurrence. It was as if nothing had happened, they were just strangers onboard the same train.

It's alright, this gave him the chance to observe him secretly. The boy was a bit shorter than him, a height just nice enough for his furtive peeks. Strangely, he could not keep his eyes away.

With a small face, pale skin, petite features and soft hair, the boy looks attractive. He wasn't your typical good-looking high school student, his appeal leaned towards the uniqueness of his looks, charming and delicate. His hair looked cool, Mino liked it; unlike his own ugly bowl haircut that was done at the old barber shop just across his house for only 8,500 won. He noticed his eyebrows, drooping downwards adorably. Mino wondered how old was he, where did he live, what was his name. He had many questions.

He received a kakaotalk notification - Pyo Jihoon would be late again today, he had overslept, no surprise. However, this time Mino decided that he wasn't going to wait for that lazy pig of a best friend, not getting himself into trouble with the teachers and school's disciplinary authorities for that. His dad was back from his business trip and his old man would be watching him closely, monitoring his grades and school conduct. He had struck a deal with his dad, if he's doing well in school, his dad would get him a new computer.

Friendship or a new computer? Mino would put the new computer first, of course.

His attention returned back to the boy. He has a nice smell, Mino liked it. The scent was refreshing and light and it did suit him well, a blend of fabric softener and vanilla. Most boys in school reeked of dirt and testosterone-filled sweat, but this boy was different. He looked clean and refreshing. It seemed as if he was modeling the school's uniform since he looked so good in it.

Mino chewed on his lip, trying to suppress a smile - Why was he such a creep?

They are from the same school, he realised, yet at the same time, he did not remember seeing him around the compound before. He still looked familiar, he thought he saw him somewhere before.

He's staring at his earrings, and then his nose, before sweeping his gaze up to his lashes and finally ending on his lips.

His heart slammed against his chest, a violent lurch, when the boy suddenly fluttered open his eyes and stared straight back at him. He met those deep brown irises, and a breath caught in his throat. He was unable to look away, widening his eyes, dumbly staring back. The boy frowned, looking at him in a weird, uncomfortable way.

He took off his earphones and tilted his head, confused. He questioned Mino. 

"Is there anything wrong with my face?"

. Mino had never been this embarrassed. It's weird how he felt small and insignificant before this boy, losing his confidence and boldness he always had. He ducked his head down and mumbled some excuses that the boy didn't buy. The boy smirked condescendingly at him, twinkling eyes lingering for just a moment before he looked straight ahead, putting back on his earphones.

His face grew hot, Mino hated this fluttery feeling in his stomach.

 

Damn, this .

 

 

x

 

 

"May I get your order?"

"..."

"Excuse me, sir?"

Mino turned his head back to the front when he heard someone call him, looking around in confusion before focusing on the staff at the counter. He murmured a random order off the menu in reply, before correcting himself and then asked for an iced Americano, extra shot - his usual order. He tried to be discreet at checking out a cafe employee, the person now clearing the cups and saucers on one of the table in the cafe. His eyes had glanced over at him a few times while he was waiting in line.

He looked familiar, he knew he's seen him before, somewhere. And he looked so good in his uniform, dressed in a crisp white shirt and black slacks with an apron tied around his waist. Mostly, it's the ponytail that caught his eyes. The employee had his hair pulled back into a ponytail, an undercut, and the shorter pieces framed the sides of his face.

He drummed his fingers on the counter as he waited for his beverage to be made, eyes scanning over to the familiar boy occasionally. His eyes darted around the room, avoiding and pretending, when the employee suddenly looked at him.

Heat started rushing up to his face, he was nervous, anxious. He could feel the unbroken gaze of the boy, his eyes never strayed away as he approached closer with a tray in his hands. Flustered, his awareness and sensitivity heightened. What should he say to him when he comes?

Before Mino could give a polite greeting or try to introduce himself to the attractive male, the employee walked past him and stopped before the counter, collecting the mugs of coffee and the plate of cake.

Mino felt a jab on his back, someone poking him. He turned to face a middle aged man with a disgruntled frown, telling him to hurry up.

"Sir, your coffee!" The staff called out for what seemed to be the third time.

He whispered a thank you and left promptly, embarrassed for hogging up the collection line. He automated doors slid open and he spared one last, quick glance at that cafe employee with the tied hair, before stepping out of the shop.

 

 

x

 

 

Mino snuggled into his black padded jacket, folding his arms across him to keep his hands warm, tucking them under his armpits. He forgot to bring gloves out, and unfortunately, it had started snowing last night, bringing the frostiness of winter to the city. He breathed out, the air fogging before him into a puff of cloud. He just finished a performance with the crew and he's now heading back home alone.

The subway station was much warmer than the air on the streets. He ped his jacket and took out his phone to play games. The platform was relatively empty, since it was already quite late. The weekend would be over in another hour so there were not too many people out now, all ready to go back to work the next day. He exited the game, opened his music library and put it on shuffle.

When the platform is crowded with rushing commuters, everything came alive, representing a part of the vibrant bustle of Seoul city. Emptiness filled up the place at a time like this, silence amplified. The platform looked aloof, unfeeling to the remaining few commuters still out at late night. Staring at the little squares on the ground, he observed some of the dirty tiles, mindlessly making up some lyrics in his head.

A while later, the train came and the doors slid open. Mino stepped into an almost empty cabin, with the exception for one boy on the seat, head dropping to a side, lulled to sleep. The artificial light was too bright; inside the train, one could never tell if it was day or night outside those tunnel.

The boy's face was partially hidden behind the thick t of fur of his hood, chin tucked inside. His hefty yellow jacket made him look chubby and cuddly, like a round heavy chick nesting on the seat of the train. However, the way those pair of skinny jeans wrapped around his legs showed how thin he actually was. His leg was crossed over the other.

There were plenty of empty seats available, but Mino chose the one beside the boy. That was because he could recognize the boy, even though only half of his face was visible. Those slanted brows were too distinctive.

He didn't know his name yet, but he knew his face. He could not believe that he actually remembered a stranger, a nameless face that managed to imprint into his mind. Chuckling, he thinks he's really a creep.

Mino took out his sketchbook and he started sketching, his pencil working over the blank piece of paper, with nothing in particular for reference. Unknowingly, graphite lines soon transformed into sleek strands of soft hair, black slowly framed a delicate face, the blurry edges of pencil shading became shadows for facial contours. He wondered if he should turn the sketch into a humorous caricature or should he continue drawing in realism.

While was starting to get into the details - the eyes, nose and lips - he felt a gentle thud on his shoulder. He looked over to his side and saw the boy with his head leaned against his shoulder, still soundly asleep, oblivious. His cheeks were pink with cold, contrasting with the fair canvas of his milky skin.

Mino smiled a little, biting the corner of his lips to repress a full grin. He sat up slightly to get into a better posture, before he adjusted the boy's drooping head on his shoulder properly. This reposition must be more comfortable, for the boy sank his cheek deeper against him.

"Yah, you better not drool." He warned the unnamed boy affectionately, a smile in his voice.

 

 

x

 

 

Taehyun collected all the banners and posters into his arms, tying them together with a string and placed them on the box. He walked out of school, carrying the load out and going to the bus stop. The meeting session had ended, the committee now at the final stages of planning and discussing before they would open for sign-ups. Each year, the high school would organize an art festival for students to showcase themselves and the public could attend it to watch. It was an important day marked on all students' calendars. The art festival was a chance for them to get their talents acknowledged by representatives of entertainment agencies and professionals of different fields for arts. They were invited to the school, and the chances of getting scouted or recognized are higher than usual.

Taehyun had been recruited by a member of the school committee to join them, albeit not much experience. He had decided to do it, since he needed his result slip and testimonial to look good.

He got on the bus after a moment's wait, struggling to keep all the things in his arms. He managed to reach the subway station alright, tapped out, despite some difficulties during the bus ride. It was hard to watch his steps while keeping the pile of things in his hands from falling as he went down the flight of stairs. He kept utmost caution, taking slow single steps. After achieving only a measly quarter of the stairway, Taehyun thought his fingers might really break off anytime soon. He wobbled a little when he rebalanced the weight in his arms, his eyes suddenly widened with horror when a roll of poster threatened to fall off. Thankfully, it didn't. Someone managed to grab it in time.

"Let me help you?"

He turned to his side, seeing another student from his school offering a hand to him, the poster in his hand. He's extremely grateful for that help. Nodding with a small smile upon his face, Taehyun adjusted the things in his arms while he sorted out the things to give to the boy. "I'll help you with that," the boy suggested, pointing at the box. Taehyun bent slowly, setting the box down on a step, his calf supporting against it. The boy lifted up the heavy box, helping him with the stacks of printed papers packed inside, while he carried the rolls of posters and banners. They reached the bottom of the stairs and Taehyun was relieved that the items for the festival were all safe.

"It's okay I can handle them now. Thank you."

The boy hadn't return him the box, he had no intention to. Instead he asked, "which metro line are you taking then?"

Taehyun observed the boy closely. He seemed familiar, yet at the same time, he looked like someone he'd never met.

"I'm taking Line 2." Taehyun replied.

"We're heading the same way anyway, so let's go." The boy declared. Noticing something, he put the box down on the floor and straightened himself. With no hesitation, he reached over to pull up one of the fallen straps of Taehyun's bag that had slipped off from his shoulder. He grinned, shrugging nonchalantly when he met Taehyun's eyes. The boy picked up the box and started walking towards the faregates.

Taehyun stared at his back. He definitely heard the same deep voice before, somewhere in his memory he knew that, but where? He searched through the archive of events and happenings in his head, but it was to no success, he just did not remember much. He glanced at the boy a few times as they were waiting for the train to arrive. The train came and they stepped inside. It was a non-peak hour, so to find a seat at this timing was quite simple, which there were plenty. Taehyun took a seat, the boy sat down beside him. He put the stuff on his lap, while the boy simply set the box on the floor.

There was silence between them, no one actually knowing what to say. They were not friends, but they could not be total strangers either. The boy had helped him, they had spoke to each other and that should count as something. It was not uncomfortable, but each passing second made the situation more awkward. Still, Taehyun waited, mouth closed. He was not one who would start conversations anyway.

"My name is Song Minho by the way, but you can just call me Mino." The boy had cleared his throat before speaking.

Taehyun looked at him, nodding. He pondered for a moment, deciding it was only polite for him to introduce himself as well. Mino seemed really familiar, the thought kept tugging at him. But he's bad with names and faces, he could not recall knowing him at all. He realised Mino had been waiting.

"...Nam Taehyun."

 

 


Finally, he got to know his name. Taehyun did not seem to know him, but Mino remembered his face, he had left an impression. Nam Taehyun had not change much, except his hair that was now a lighter color than the last time he had seen him. Meanwhile on his part, Mino went through a significant transformation. He had slimmed down a lot during the last semester break, became even tanner and got a new haircut as well. He did not wear spectacles anymore too, and he had definitely grown taller. Mino wasn't shy to admit it - he thought he had gotten much more handsome than ever before. Even his best friend became hotter lately as well, getting popular with the girls in his class. Puberty was merciful to him, it had treated him well.

"Is this for the Arts Fest? I'll be participating with Pyoji this year." Mino asked, telling him. Taehyun had hesitated for a moment in consideration before he took out a notebook from his bag and started going through the plans for the festival, explaining some interesting parts of it animatedly to him. He's surprised at how well Taehyun could actually speak, his articulation was good, his voice was clear and his words flowed smoothly, comfortable to his ears. He's suddenly reminded of those instances in the past, of how cold Taehyun had been, his voice and words lack of warmth. Today, he was comparatively different. It gets him curious, he wanted to know more about him. In his circle of friends, the guys had always been like him - boisterous, funny, easy-going. He discerned Taehyun to be different. He listened to him attentively, having eye contact with him a few times. The school has a Media and Communications department, as well as their own Radio room, Mino thought Taehyun would be suitable for that.

The thought of Taehyun as their school DJ was nice, hearing him through the speakers during those specific hours would be lovely. He might even volunteer to rap or do something for that weekly On-Air talent show the school radio hosted if Taehyun was part of it.

He wanted to impress him.

"I'll tell you a secret, it's about the festival." Taehyun told him excitedly, bringing his voice to a whisper. He closed his notebook and his eyes gleamed with excitement, ready to spill whatever was at the tip of his tongue. Mino let him continue, unfolding his arms.

"You have to do well, because this year we have special guests." Taehyun told him.

"Will you be taking part? You look like a music student, are you one?" Mino had no opportunity to see him around the campus, did not know him well, but from his appearance he assumed him to be one. He was not too concern about the invited guests, he's more interested to know the things related to Taehyun, and he was keen to know if he'd get the chance to see him onstage.

"I will not be performing," he said. "I'm actually a trainee now, but that's not important. I heard that one of Big 3 entertainment companies will be sending representatives to scout for new talents from the school."

Mino opened his mouth, looking at Taehyun in pleasant surprise. "I didn't know that!" He took another glance at Taehyun, scanning from head to toe in amazement. "Does this mean you'll be a star in future?"

Taehyun chuckled, shaking his head. "Not so easy. Anyway, you are not a music student right?" He pointed at the collar of Mino's uniform, his eyes smiling, "Paint stains." Taehyun smirked, knowing he had got his guess right. Mino noted that he's pretty sharp and observant.

"So what are you going to perform?" Taehyun asked.

Mino tipped a corner of his lips up smugly, now it was the time for him to boast a little about himself. He leaned in, gesturing for Taehyun to come closer. "I'll tell you a secret too," he whispered, imitating the way as Taehyun had did, and the boy frowned, shooting him a look. Mino snickered, taking delight in the expression Taehyun made. "I'm an underground rapper by the way," he roughened his voice on purpose, trying to sound cool, "so I'll be rapping."

"Woah..." Taehyun nodded slowly. He looked genuinely amazed, and Mino felt good about himself.

They did not talk much throughout the ride after that, but it was no longer awkward like before. Taehyun closed his eyes and leaned back, shutting the possibilities of a conversation with his earphones on. Mino peeked at him, deciding to do some sketching then, since he was unable to continue conversing without feeling one-sided on his part. It was not uncomfortable, but for such a spirited person he was, keeping quiet was not his usual. Nam Taehyun was quite a challenge to him, and Mino wanted to overcome it - he wanted to make him laugh and perhaps, open up to him. Taehyun was unapproachable and distant, but that did not discourage him, more so, it gave him the determination to become closer to him.

He needed to alight at the next station so he got up from his seat, slinging the straps of his bag over his shoulders. Taehyun looked up at him, removing one side of his earbuds.

"What do you have to do with these?" Mino asked, pointing at the stack of papers inside the box, wondering if he could help Taehyun with anything.

"I need to fold them into three-sided brochures..."

"I'll do it!" Mino bent down to take the box before Taehyun could reject his offer to help. Mino watched the way his brows angled upward, it was evident that he was in a quandary, and that amused him.

"I take art, trust me because I know how to handle these." He smiled warmly at Taehyun, reassuring. Mino fished for his phone from his back pocket and handed it over to Taehyun.

"Here, why not you give me your number so you'll feel more assured?" He watched Taehyun take his phone in his hand. Taehyun pouted, hesitating, his finger hovering above the screen. Mino was so close to advancing a step closer to Taehyun, his nerves were tingling with aniticipation.

"Hurry! We are reaching my station soon!"

Finally, Taehyun touched his finger down onto the screen, keying his number into his phone. Mino felt a sense of triumph, seeing the digits appear one by one, the string of numbers saved under 'Nam Taehyun'. A satisfied smile spread across his face when Taehyun returned him his phone.

 

 

Success!

 

 

x

 

 

"We should go home together from now on."

Taehyun looked up at Mino, Mino's best friend sniggering at a side. The festival had ended, and Taehyun was busy clearing up. He watched the duo's rap performance earlier on and he wasn't let down. They were impressive, wowing the crowd with their precise tempo and smooth flow. Mino and Jihoon both received several namecards from a few of the representatives, inviting them for a closed audition at their company.

"I don't know, Hugeboy. I'm still busy." Taehyun emphasized Mino's stage name on purpose. He found it quite funny, and he had giggled when Mino yelled that name out loud while hyping up the crowd.

"I'll wait for you."

Taehyun stopped what he was doing and straightened up.

"Look, you don't have to." He paused for a moment, staring straight into Mino. Maybe Mino had been mistaken; he was grateful for his help that one time, but that did not make them friends automatically. He still categorized Mino as merely an acquaintance, he considered them at just that level, having no intentions of becoming closer. After all, it was only just that one time.

Taehyun was honestly not interested in forging relationships with people. People come and go, that had happened in his life multiple times, even the ones closest to him. He had dealt with horrible people from his previous school - backstabs, betrayals and malicious rumors from friends he used to trust - and the fewer people know about him, it was for the better. Many thing had happened while growing up, among them were things that he himself was not too proud of. All he could see before him now was the day when he finally becomes a singer; it would be like a rebirth. A new chapter, a new beginning.

"But we take the same line, don't we?"

He rejected Song Minho once more, forthrightly, and he kept himself busy afterwards, ignoring the boy's persistent persuasion.

 

 

x

 

 

"He's quite an don't you think? Why do you even bother to make him join us when we've always been going home together anyway," Jihoon reasoned, before muttering, "I don't like him much."

"You don't like him, but I do." He grinned. Jihoon gave him an exaggerated look of horror, mouth wide opened. He flinched back dramatically to assess him, looking at Mino with judging eyes.

"He's cool." Mino shrugged, bouncing his heavy backpack up. He shoved Jihoon on the back when his best friend let out a sound of disgust.

 

 

I like him.

 

 

x

 

 

His head was heavy.

Taehyun closed his eyes, hoping it would give some comfort to him. He's running a fever, his throat was sore and his eyes were in discomfort from the bright lights of the dance studio. There was no energy in him, his limbs weak and body exhausted. He felt cold, despite sweating profusely. He switched off the lights of the room, decided that he could not carry on for the day. He wanted to go home.

He coughed several times on his way along the corridor, wishing he had worn another layer to brave the cold outside.

Who gets fever during winter? He sighed, he needed to get better, as quick as possible. He'd got a school project to work on over the holidays, and three missions to be done for the company. He had work at the cafe during weekends as well, in order to help out with his family's finances.

He returned the keys to the office before he stepped out of the recreational block to make his way home. School was not on during the winter break, except for the library and the recreational building where students could use the facilities there. The compound was empty, there was no one else around in sight except himself, crossing over to the other side where the gate was.

He coughed again. Footsteps sunk in the snow, leaving a trail behind him, deep imprints to the white powdery surface. He pulled the furry hood of his parka over his head, the exposed parts of his face left to withstand the cold. He sat on the bench at the bus stop, waiting a bus that would take him to the train station.

"Taehyun?"

He heard someone called his name and he turned around to see Mino walking to the bus stop, approaching him. There was paint residue on one side of his cheeks and a few streaks on his hair and forehead.

Taehyun sniffled and gave a lazy wave of his hand. He really hope the bus would come soon, otherwise he'd need someone to defrost him.

"Are you okay? You're sweating and your face is really red." Mino said when he sat down beside him, taking notice.

"Nothing much," Taehyun's voice was nasally, "a bit of fever, I guess it is just my body's way to combat the cold weather." He laughed half-heartedly at his attempted wit.

Mino frowned, looking concerned. Before Taehyun could react, Mino stuffed both of his hands into his hood, reaching to touch his cheeks and forechead, checking his temperature.

If his body temperature wasn't high enough from fever, Taehyun was certain it had gone up by a few more degrees.

Taehyun crinkled his nose, trying to back away, too weak to react strongly. Usually, he'd threaten to hit anyone if they touched him like this. Instead, he could only tuck his cheeks deeper into the stuffed parka, and shot a glare at the Mino. It made him look chubbier, and more like a petulant child.

Mino chuckled, taking Taehyun's bag in his hand when the bus came, carrying it for him. Several times, Taehyun attempted to snatch it back, but it was all futile.

 

 


The train was crowded. They caught onto the peak hour, unfortunately.

Taehyun wasn't feeling well, Mino could see it from the paleness of his lips and the cold sweat glistening on his forehead. He searched for a corner that had lesser people, so to reduce the contact and pressure of people pressing against them. He led Taehyun to a corner, holding his hand as he pushed past the packed spaces with his body.

"Less stuffy here, right?" Mino asked, his voice soft and gentle. He had Taehyun in between himself and the train, using his body as a barrier from all the other passengers. Taehyun nodded languidly, drowsiness taking over him, caused by the medicine Mino went to get from a convenience store near the station.

Mino could feel the bodies of other people pressing against him. It was really cramped, no one could barely move an inch. Yet, he managed to keep a small distance from Taehyun, leaving a comfortable gap between them. Taehyun would not want to be pressed against the train, he knew that for sure. He was being considerate to Taehyun, not wanting to give him more discomfort.

He smiled, watching Taehyun's head bob slightly as the boy fell asleep while standing upright. It was entertaining to see the boy's various expressions. When asleep, he looked unguarded, defenceless. It sparked a protective instinct in him, making him want to take care of him. Taehyun sniffled, scrunching his nose up in an adorable way. He had a frown on, his brows slanted in a steepness Mino thought only Taehyun could manage. He's uncomfortable, he could see.

"Hey," he whispered into his ears. Taehyun still had his eyelids closed.

"Is this okay?"

Taehyun found himself leaning against the other boy, his head gently pressed down to rest on Mino's shoulder. It came as a surprise, but Taehyun found it comfortable, much more pleasant. He could smell the scent of his shampoo and cologne, it was nice and suitable, not too overpowering. He's really tired, and he was glad to have Mino as a headrest.

Someone rammed against them when the train reached a station, as people were pushing to get out. Mino lost his balance and he crushed into Taehyun, pinning him between his body and the train.

"I'm so sorry, are you alright?" Mino recovered immediately, checking on Taehyun. The weight of both bags on his back did not make it easy for him to keep a firm balance on his feet, even so, he pushed himself back with all his might, keeping a hand against the body of the train. Taehyun voice was muffled, telling him to keep still. He rolled his head a little to one side, still leaning on his shoulder.

"This is so gay. I won't do this again." Taehyun told him with a sigh, but still he kept his eyes close, trying to find a more comfortable position.

The train started moving again. Somewhere along the journey, Mino might have stepped closer, closing the gap between them. At some point in the passing minutes, Mino might have stared at his sleeping face, tracing each lines and curves of his features with his eyes. He could hear the pounding of his heart loud in his ears, for having Taehyun so close to him, his warm breath on the skin of his neck. He didn't know exactly when Taehyun had managed to catch his eyes, and when did he start to gravitate towards him. Maybe it was initially his appearance that he got attracted to, or maybe it was the way he acted, how completely opposite they were. Maybe it was just him, simply Taehyun being Taehyun.

The boy slept all the way on Mino's shoulder, until it was time for him to wake him up as they were soon reaching his destination.

He sent Taehyun home that evening.

 

 

x

 

 

Taehyun's phone buzzed again, much to his annoyance. It had been going on for the past thirty minutes, either short vibrations in his pants pocket for text messages, or a prolonged one for incoming calls.

Ever since that day, Mino had shamelessly decided upon himself to travel with Taehyun everyday, keeping up a pretense of coincidental meetings. He had his number, and he even knew where he lived. They took the same metro line, so Taehyun could not forbid him to get onboard. Things fell into place naturally, and Taehyun soon found himself get used to Mino's presence. He would never admit to anyone that he actually enjoyed spending those time with him, even when they were doing nothing, just standing side by side or sitting together. In the past, he had been usually alone, but now he had a friend to wait for him - be it the early morning or late evening.

Mino would pack sandwiches for them to eat while on the way to school, and often would buy snacks for them to share during the ride home. Taehyun would share his iPod with him, each with a earbud in their ear. They took turns to choose whichever songs they wanted to listen to, but on some occasions, Mino would insist that Taehyun should listen to his mixtapes. Usually they would just chat, Mino the one to keep the conversations going. Sometimes, Taehyun would have to put up with Mino's lame jokes. Mino, for failing to humor him, would be met with the straight face of an unamused Taehyun. On certain days when Taehyun felt nice enough, he'd give him a patronizing laughter. Mino wasn't unsuccessful all the time though, when he did hit the right spot, Taehyun would explode into uncontrollable peals of laughter, his whole body would react along so much that he would embarrass them both when people started to stare. Sometimes Mino's best friend would join them in the morning, but most of the time he was late. In the evening, they'd go back together, and Taehyun would fall asleep occasionally, leaning against Mino for support whether he was sitting down or standing upright.

During the weekends or over the semester breaks, Mino would be the one to initiate meet ups. Taehyun had turn him down initially, but Mino was resolute. After a few more invitations, he gave in eventually. He had scolded Mino and hit him when they finally met up and got to hang out together for the first time.

WEre they friends? Maybe. Taehyun could not classify exactly what Mino was too him. He had an inkling that the boy might harbor special feelings for him, but he wasn't ready for anything yet. It was not advisable to get into relationships, his company had told all the trainees. Taehyun did not know if he liked him back, he was unsure. However, one thing was clear to him - he liked being in Mino's company.

Until the time comes, he did not mind if they remained like this.

 

 

 

His supplementary classes ended. Along with his classmates, he packed his bag, getting ready to leave the room. He took out his phone and read the recent messages.

 

5:14PM: Meet you at the gate?

5:27PM: My class ended earlier today. Jihoon might be coming along with us too, but you don't want right? Since he's noisy..

5:32PM: Jihoon won't be coming along~

5:45PM: What do you want to eat? Chocolate cookies or blueberry waffle?

 

Taehyun dialed a number, and the line was picked up only after two rings.

 

"Hello?"

"Mino, I have committee meeting later at six." He added, "I will not be done till about seven."

"That's alright. I'll go get dinner with Jihoon first. Let's meet at the same place, okay?"

"You don't have to wait."

"I'm fine, really! See you then?"

 

He paused, perhaps a second too long, then he heard Mino whine.

 

"...okay."

 

 

 

 

Taehyun got off the bus, slipping his cardigan on as he made his way to where that annoying guy was waiting for him at.

He saw Mino at the entrance of the underpass, with his back against the wall while using his phone, engrossed in it. He walked over slowly and bumped into him on purpose, laughing when Mino jolted violently in surprise. Mino sulked at him, jutting out his bottom lip. Taehyun patted his head, and Mino lets him with a pleased smile on his face, acting like a big obedient dog. He kept his phone into his pocket and took something out from his bag.

"You haven't had dinner right? I have chocolate buns here for you."

Taehyun received the bag of bread, breaking off a small chunk and put in his mouth. As he was chewing, he offered Mino a bite. Mino leaned in, mouth opened. Taehyun pulled back the bread right away, tricking him.

He smirked, but it was quickly wiped away when he met Mino's deep gaze.

All of a sudden, Mino grabbed his wrist, bringing the bread to his mouth. He had a smug look on his face, knowing this time, would not be able to pull away. He watched Mino take a huge bite.

Taehyun shook his head at him, his laughter airy.

"Bully."

Mino stuck out his tongue at him, dodging when he tried to hit his head. "Let's go!" He grabbed his arm, tugging him along.

They went down the stairs together, to the tunnel that led them to the platform for Line Number 2.

 

 


  

 

This has been stuck in my draft since November... I actually thought of abandoning this, since I find it kinda weird and pointless/plotless? But thanks to Keax, she encouraged me to post this up~ 

So I guess I'll dedicate this namsong to her! 

Also, this might contain lots of errors, writing in past tense is uncomfortable for me :|

Thank you all for reading!